Re: Federico Garcia's- are they worth anything?

Posted by Michael Nunez on Thu, 05/19/05 - 10:20:32.

: : i am currently playing a 20 year old garcia and have just replaced most of the old strings. it does sound pretty good. its appearence is pretty good, except for a small chio near the bottom. i have no interest in selling it, but i am curious how much it is worthe

: There's a lot of garbage out there about these guitars. New they cost about $230. (The garbage is that they're worth over two grand.) Both Garcia and Hernandis are made by the same company in Japan. Both are excellent guitars. Ebay average price for Hernandes & Garcia grades one seems to be around $300 + -. Grade threes seems to be slightly less, but not much. I have a Hernandes grade one steel string I bought new. It's a great guitar, but a little light in the bass.

CLARIFICATION:
I just happened to see the above hatred followups which tries to garbage some very nice sounding guitars, i.e., Garcia and Hernandis. I have many guitars in my collection including Ramirez, Kohno, Rodrigues, Martin and Hernandis. The Hernandis guitars are really decent ones with top notch sound qualities. I have catalogue from 1981 in which the prices of Hernandis Guitar are listed as:

Grand Concert Guitar $1245
Concert Guitar No.1A $1045
Concert Guitar No.1 $750
Concert Guitar No.2 $600

Clearly these price are much higher than $300!!!!! in 1981. In fact the price of Hernandis Grand concert has been competative with Ramirez 1A guitars. The Hernandis guitars have been made in Japan by a maker that worked in the Ramirez shop for years.

The importer of the Hernandis guitars, Sherry-Brener Ltd. of chicago, has the current price listing as:

Grand Concert Guitar $6500 (They are sold out)
Concert Guitar No.1A $6000
Concert Guitar No.1 $5500
Concert Guitar No.2 $4975

The website address is: http://www.guitarsofspain.com/hernandis1a/hernandis_grade1a.asp

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Guitar value.

I have a Federica Garcia guitar.
1967 unrated. Made in Madrid.

Excellent condition.
Came with card case. Case is a little rough.
Would like to know approximate value.
Thanks b

I have a classical guitar, a Garcia and I am also wondering what it is worth. I got it in 1969, a friend purchased it new in Madrid at his shop and brought it back to Canada for me... I'm near Ottawa.
It looks like a cedar top,the rest rosewood (back, sides and neck) and has amazing rosette work on the headstock as well as the sound hole and bridge. The fittings are gold. It stays in tune well, the action plays very nicely with a mellow sound but the sound jumps out at you when you play near the bridge. Other than the odd nick from over 40 years of use (I played professionally for 15 years, and still play this instrument a bit)it is in good condition.
I still have the original case with a key and lock.

Inside the sound hole is a sticker that reads:

Fabrica de Guitarras
FEDERICO GARCIA
Exclusivas Distribuidores
Antigua Casa Sherry-Brener Ltd.
No. 1 Madrid 1969

I don't know what this means.
Is it his 1st guitar ???
His 1st model ?

Does anybody know anything about this luthier's history ? I would guess it was handmade from the look of it. I don't know anything about this guy and there is precious little on line about him.

Neil O'Connor

: : : i am currently playing a 20 year old garcia and have just replaced most of the old strings. it does sound pretty good. its appearence is pretty good, except for a small chio near the bottom. i have no interest in selling it, but i am curious how much it is worthe

: : There's a lot of garbage out there about these guitars. New they cost about $230. (The garbage is that they're worth over two grand.) Both Garcia and Hernandis are made by the same company in Japan. Both are excellent guitars. Ebay average price for Hernandes & Garcia grades one seems to be around $300 + -. Grade threes seems to be slightly less, but not much. I have a Hernandes grade one steel string I bought new. It's a great guitar, but a little light in the bass.

: CLARIFICATION:
: I just happened to see the above hatred followups which tries to garbage some very nice sounding guitars, i.e., Garcia and Hernandis. I have many guitars in my collection including Ramirez, Kohno, Rodrigues, Martin and Hernandis. The Hernandis guitars are really decent ones with top notch sound qualities. I have catalogue from 1981 in which the prices of Hernandis Guitar are listed as:

: Grand Concert Guitar $1245
: Concert Guitar No.1A $1045
: Concert Guitar No.1 $750
: Concert Guitar No.2 $600

: Clearly these price are much higher than $300!!!!! in 1981. In fact the price of Hernandis Grand concert has been competative with Ramirez 1A guitars. The Hernandis guitars have been made in Japan by a maker that worked in the Ramirez shop for years.

: The importer of the Hernandis guitars, Sherry-Brener Ltd. of chicago, has the current price listing as:

: Grand Concert Guitar $6500 (They are sold out)
: Concert Guitar No.1A $6000
: Concert Guitar No.1 $5500
: Concert Guitar No.2 $4975

: The website address is: http://www.guitarsofspain.com/hernandis1a/hernandis_grade1a.asp

: : : i am currently playing a 20 year old garcia and have just replaced most of the old strings. it does sound pretty good. its appearence is pretty good, except for a small chio near the bottom. i have no interest in selling it, but i am curious how much it is worthe

: : There's a lot of garbage out there about these guitars. New they cost about $230. (The garbage is that they're worth over two grand.) Both Garcia and Hernandis are made by the same company in Japan. Both are excellent guitars. Ebay average price for Hernandes & Garcia grades one seems to be around $300 + -. Grade threes seems to be slightly less, but not much. I have a Hernandes grade one steel string I bought new. It's a great guitar, but a little light in the bass.

: CLARIFICATION:
: I just happened to see the above hatred followups which tries to garbage some very nice sounding guitars, i.e., Garcia and Hernandis. I have many guitars in my collection including Ramirez, Kohno, Rodrigues, Martin and Hernandis. The Hernandis guitars are really decent ones with top notch sound qualities. I have catalogue from 1981 in which the prices of Hernandis Guitar are listed as:

: Grand Concert Guitar $1245
: Concert Guitar No.1A $1045
: Concert Guitar No.1 $750
: Concert Guitar No.2 $600

: Clearly these price are much higher than $300!!!!! in 1981. In fact the price of Hernandis Grand concert has been competative with Ramirez 1A guitars. The Hernandis guitars have been made in Japan by a maker that worked in the Ramirez shop for years.

: The importer of the Hernandis guitars, Sherry-Brener Ltd. of chicago, has the current price listing as:

: Grand Concert Guitar $6500 (They are sold out)
: Concert Guitar No.1A $6000
: Concert Guitar No.1 $5500
: Concert Guitar No.2 $4975

: The website address is: http://www.guitarsofspain.com/hernandis1a/hernandis_grade1a.asp

i have a garcia #1 made in madrid in 1969.according to a friend of mine who is a musician;music teacher/and guitar repairer and rebuilder this was one of the last bunches of the instruments hand made in spain.they are made in japan now.the label on the inside of the guitar states this to be the case.i am looking to sell it,it is in good shape and still sounds good.i have not played it much for several years.it uses classical strings if anyone is interesed contact me at janetdxbell@insightbb.com

1967 Federico Garcia Classical Guitar

I purchased this beautiful guitar when I was 18 years old. I am not 65. This guitar is in excellent condition and has been played very little. It has been safely stored in its hard case all these years. It is all rosewood on the back. I would love to find it a new home that would enjoy its lovely sound and its workmanship. It was one of the last ones that were made in Spain. If anyone is interested, please email me and I will send pictures. Price: $599. I have been looking on the internet and this seems like the going price for guitars that are much more "used" looking than this one.

1967 Federico Garcia Classical Guitar

Hello,
I know it's been months since your post on guitarsite.com. But do you still have you guitar and are you still wanting to sell it? If so could you send some pics.
Ken

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.