Re: What Takamine is this?

Advertisement
Posted by RJ on Sat, 03/04/06 - 22:25:56.

: : I too have come across a F-363D Tak with a dark sunburst finish. Have you found anything out? It certainly is a beautiful sounding instrument. The guy I got it from preferred to play it as his everyday guitar over about 10 others he owns, including a couple of pricey Martins.

:
: : : Help! I'm looking for information about a Takamine F-363. I can't seem to find any information about it. I emailed Takamine customer support, and they said they do not have it listed. It was apparently built in '83, but I can find no information about it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about the F-363? Was it a fluke? Was it some sort of experimental model? Did Takamine actually make this model, or is it a copy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -David

: Other than the two follow-ups to my original question, I haven't received any further information about it. Admittedly I'm disappointed that Takamine has no answers. Dave, I'm curious about the the 363D sunburst. I've never seen anything like it. Would love to see a picture. In any case, if either of you hear anymore, I would love to know! Thanks very much for responding. -David

I also have a Takamine F-363D sunburst that I acquired from a friend about 7 years ago who was not playing it. It is a nice sounding instrument that I use as my main acoustic guitar, but I also cannot find any information about it. I have always wondered how old it is. RJ

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

takamine guitar

I have a takamine 12 string that says: est. 1962 below Takamine & co. The only other writing i find is a number inside which must be the serial number. 75092058 , and f-385. My husband bought it for me in honolulu in 1976. Anyone know the value now? Think he paid 350.00 for it then.

I managed to find some info on the Takamine web site (http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1067&sid=351), where it lists the F-363 and the F-363S. I suspect the F-363D is the sunburst version of the F-363, which is described as a laminated body, whereas the F-363S is a solid wood made body.

Hey, I have a Takamine F-363, similar to most of yours. Mine has: est.1962 printed in gold in below the brand label. F-363 is also labeled on mine on the support peice inside of the guitar. This is probably one of the older takamines judging by previous posts. I hope this satisfies some inquisitions about guitar age. By the way, does anyone know how much a vintage F-363 would be worth?

I also have a F-363 D, which judging from teh serial number seems to be made in 1982. My brother gave it to me as a gift in '84.
Interestingly, I also had a F-360 S made in 1981.
Back in '84, the 363 looked and sounded much better than the 360. However, as the years went by, the 360 has become better with age whilst the 363 is roughly the same.
When I had an appraisal done back in the early '90s, the F-363 was known about, but was valued less than the F-360. The reason given is that the 363's body is made from laminated or ply wood, whilst the 360's body is made from a solid piece. As a result, it is expected that the 360 would develop over time whilst the 363 would not.
However, I have not had this corroborated by anyone else, and I am not about to cut into the 363 to see what the body is made of ;-)

Hey, i actually just got that exact guitar from my buddy's dad. He gave it to me for free. Good deal Eh? But anyways, if you look into the sound hole, printed in ink on the actual wood bracing itself mine has the date Dec 1978 stamped on it. Maybe yours does too? that might help figure out how old it is?

Came across this thread when I googled to find out something about my dark sunburst F-363D Takamine. If it adds to the collective information, mine was bought in Canberra in October 1980. PC

F363D

Hi, Just been looking for info and thought i would leave something. I have a 1981 sunburst F363D that i bought for $229 at Cash Converters, just east of Melbourne in 1999. It is my favorite possession and plays like a dream. I also have a 1976 F400 12 string(Martin lookalike) which is pretty good too.

Oops, I somehow reposterd someone else's message as mine. However, I also have an F363D. It belonged to my brother who got it as a gift.
It was new, but i'm not sure when he got it. Maybe around 1980? Just a guess.

I was a west coast sales rep for Takamine Guitars in the early 1980s. In the late 70s the decision was made that Takamine would not become the cheaper line sold underneath the Martin. Originally, Martin commissioned Takamine, complete with blueprints of the entire Martin line. Because Coast Wholesale also sold Ludwig drums, they chose not to sell Rogers drums and horns. Martin stated a condition of Coast selling Martin/Takamine, was the Rogers deal. Takamine ventured out on their own and had to change the appearance of their line. The F-363 is the first model with changes. The headstock and the mustache bridge made this model significantly unique. The headstock on this model was not used on other models and I'm not sure the bridge style was used again also. Not many F-363s were made/sold. They're, in essence, a Takamine F-360 with the noted changes. Mine was made in 1979.

Bob

Bob- What would you assess the value of F-363s ?? Since fewer were made, at the time.

Thanks,
Thom

: I was a nwest coast sales rep for Takamine Guitars in the early 1980s. In the late 70s the decision was made that Takamine would not become the cheaper line sold underneath the Martin. Originally, Martin commissioned Takamine, complete with blueprints of the entire Martin line. Because Coast Wholesale also sold Ludwig drums, they chose not to sell Rogers drums and horns. Martin stated a condition of Coast selling Martin/Takamine, was the Rogers deal. Takamine ventured out on their own and had to change the appearance of their line. The F-363 is the first model with changes. The headstock and the mustache bridge made this model significantly unique. The headstock on this model was not used on other models and I'm not sure the bridge style was used again also. Not many F-363s were made/sold. They're, in essence, a Takamine F-360 with the noted changes. Mine was made in 1979.

: Bob

I was a west coast sales rep for Takamine Guitars in the early 1980s. In the late 70s the decision was made that Takamine would not become the cheaper line sold underneath the Martin. Originally, Martin commissioned Takamine, complete with blueprints of the entire Martin line. Because Coast Wholesale also sold Ludwig drums, they chose not to sell Rogers drums and horns. Martin stated a condition of Coast selling Martin/Takamine, was the Rogers deal. Takamine ventured out on their own and had to change the appearance of their line. The F-363 is the first model with changes. The headstock and the mustache bridge made this model significantly unique. The headstock on this model was not used on other models and I'm not sure the bridge style was used again also. Not many F-363s were made/sold. They're, in essence, a Takamine F-360 with the noted changes. Mine was made in 1979.

Bob

: : : I too have come across a F-363D Tak with a dark sunburst finish. Have you found anything out? It certainly is a beautiful sounding instrument. The guy I got it from preferred to play it as his everyday guitar over about 10 others he owns, including a couple of pricey Martins.

: :
: : : : Help! I'm looking for information about a Takamine F-363. I can't seem to find any information about it. I emailed Takamine customer support, and they said they do not have it listed. It was apparently built in '83, but I can find no information about it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about the F-363? Was it a fluke? Was it some sort of experimental model? Did Takamine actually make this model, or is it a copy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -David

: : Other than the two follow-ups to my original question, I haven't received any further information about it. Admittedly I'm disappointed that Takamine has no answers. Dave, I'm curious about the the 363D sunburst. I've never seen anything like it. Would love to see a picture. In any case, if either of you hear anymore, I would love to know! Thanks very much for responding. -David

: I also have a Takamine F-363D sunburst that I acquired from a friend about 7 years ago who was not playing it. It is a nice sounding instrument that I use as my main acoustic guitar, but I also cannot find any information about it. I have always wondered how old it is. RJ

I got one of these guitars around 1979 and it is by far the finest guitar I've ever owned! Better then any Taylor I've played. It will be with me the rest of my life! I've never had to have it adjusted and it just keeps getting better with age. It's my baby! It was a gift from a boyfriend that gave me, besides this guitar, nothing but grief! I got it in Monterey California.

: : :
: : : : : Help! I'm looking for information about a Takamine F-363. I can't seem to find any information about it. I emailed Takamine customer support, and they said they do not have it listed. It was apparently built in '83, but I can find no information about it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about the F-363? Was it a fluke? Was it some sort of experimental model? Did Takamine actually make this model, or is it a copy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -David

: : : Other than the two follow-ups to my original question, I haven't received any further information about it. Admittedly I'm disappointed that Takamine has no answers. Dave, I'm curious about the the 363D sunburst. I've never seen anything like it. Would love to see a picture. In any case, if either of you hear anymore, I would love to know! Thanks very much for responding. -David

: : I also have a Takamine F-363D sunburst that I acquired from a friend about 7 years ago who was not playing it. It is a nice sounding instrument that I use as my main acoustic guitar, but I also cannot find any information about it. I have always wondered how old it is. RJ

: : : I too have come across a F-363D Tak with a dark sunburst finish. Have you found anything out? It certainly is a beautiful sounding instrument. The guy I got it from preferred to play it as his everyday guitar over about 10 others he owns, including a couple of pricey Martins.

: :
: : : : Help! I'm looking for information about a Takamine F-363. I can't seem to find any information about it. I emailed Takamine customer support, and they said they do not have it listed. It was apparently built in '83, but I can find no information about it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about the F-363? Was it a fluke? Was it some sort of experimental model? Did Takamine actually make this model, or is it a copy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -David

: : Other than the two follow-ups to my original question, I haven't received any further information about it. Admittedly I'm disappointed that Takamine has no answers. Dave, I'm curious about the the 363D sunburst. I've never seen anything like it. Would love to see a picture. In any case, if either of you hear anymore, I would love to know! Thanks very much for responding. -David

: I also have a Takamine F-363D sunburst that I acquired from a friend about 7 years ago who was not playing it. It is a nice sounding instrument that I use as my main acoustic guitar, but I also cannot find any information about it. I have always wondered how old it is. RJ

There is one one Ebay that I placed a bid on..Supposedly made in 79' but trying to find out if its made in Japan or Korea...I've seen another Sunburst Takamine that was made in Korea a Lawsuit model....Myles

Could somone help i have a 1983 TAKAMINE The person i bought it from owned it from new but idont know what model it is, it came with the yellow fake fur apolstry,std tak case. the guitar is not what you would call a large guitar,but the the workmanship on this guitaris unbelievable. it is about the same size as say a cort 100 earth. it is built more like a violin imean like the bends on a say 335. pearl dot inlays,inc 2 on the bridge one each side of the bottum and top string. ibelieve the guitar was $875 AU in 1983 the serial no is 83040374 also the bridge has like a swollow tail and has asort of skunk srtipe at the button where the strap goes on, i have never seen aguitar built so nice,it looks like a maple top the rest looks rosewood of couse made in japan, the battery is hard to find,it is right up the start of the neck tight. if this gives any clue to anyone, please let me know what model it is THANKS NEIL

I can not help you with info about this guitar but i can tell you that I have a Takamine F-363D guitar. If you have got any info please email me at Clark22Ford@aol.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.