Re: What Takamine is this?

Advertisement
Posted by Bob on Mon, 05/25/09 - 16:02:26.

I was a Takamine wholesale salesman from 1980 to 1985 when the Takamine F-363 came about. The CF Martin Company in Nazareth, PA, had commissioned the Takamine Company to develop a line of guitars that could be sold as an underneath line to the Martin guitar that were becoming very pricy. The F-340 is a copy of the Martin D-18, the F-360 is a copy of the Martin D-28, the F-375 is a copy of the Martin D-35 and so forth. When the line was ready to be marketed, Martin demanded that Coast Wholesale Music, the company I worked for, also sell Rogers drums, horns, and etc. Coast was already selling Ludwig drums and other horns so there wasn't the need. Martin pulled out of the deal and left Coast/Takamine with a line of guitars. The F-363 is a F-360 with an altered headstock and a mustache bridge, changes in the appearance from the D-28 look-alike. In fact, there were ads on TV and in magazines with bags over the headstocks asking the customer to compare the Martin with the Takamine. Changes continued to occur up to the present where the Takamine headstock now has its own distinctive shape with the brand name, TAKAMINE, written so a person can read it from right to left as an artist is playing it. I also have a Takamine F-363 along with a couple of D-28 and other guitars. I enjoy playing a lot. It does have a ply top rather than solid but the back and sides with the veneer rosewood are generally very beautiful to look at.

I hope this information is helpful.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.