Re: Yamaha FG-750S Acoustic Guitar

Posted by David Goss on Fri, 03/01/02 - 16:03:35.

: I am trying to get information about a Yamaha FG-750 S acoustic guitar, when it was made, the material used and the price it orginally sold for and any other information I can find
I got this info by keying the model number into Google. Its a review from a guy whose had one for decades.
Price Paid: US $175
Purchased from: N/A
A long gone music store in Greenville, IL
Features: 8
This a mid-late 70's six string acoustic made in Taiwan. It features solid spruce top (hence the 'S'
designation in the model number), mahogony back & sides and a nato neck. The rosewood fretboard has
20 frets. No electronics, straight acoustic.
Sound: 10
I bought this guitar simply because I fell in love with the sound the first time I played it in the music store. It
is the most balanced acoustic guitar ever. The low end is pronounced, but not deep and rich, like a Martin.
The highs are easily heard, but not trebly or 'crashy' like cheaper guitars. The volume is plenty loud enough
for me.
Action, Fit, & Finish: 6
This particular guitar is a 'factory second', designated by the Roman numeral II stamped on the sticker
inside and more noticably the 2 inch crack running down from the left side of the saddle. It was cleated at
the factory and I swear it has not affected the sound at all. The finish itself is natural and a bit heavier than
what's found on more expensive guitars. The action was originally a little high (seems to be a Yamaha
thing), but I had it adjusted and it's great.
Reliability/Durability: 10
Like steel this guitar is. I've dragged this poor old thing all over creation. I done things to it that I'm
ashamed to say. You just can't wreck this guitar, short of TNT.
Customer Support: N/A
See above!
Overall Rating: 10
I would track down and kill anyone who took this guitar. I've had it for 20 years and along with my '72 Les
Paul Deluxe it gives me about everything I need guitar-wise. For the tone of this guitar alone I have to give
it the highest rating.
Submitted by Bob Tyma at 01/25/1999 18:00

Summary
Manufacturer URL www.yamaha.com
Features 8 (1 response)
Sound 10 (1 response)
Reliability/Durability 10 (1 response)
Overall Rating 10 (1 response)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

: : I am trying to get information about a Yamaha FG-750 S acoustic guitar, when it was made, the material used and the price it orginally sold for and any other information I can find
: I got this info by keying the model number into Google. Its a review from a guy whose had one for decades.
: Price Paid: US $175
: Purchased from: N/A
: A long gone music store in Greenville, IL
: Features: 8
: This a mid-late 70's six string acoustic made in Taiwan. It features solid spruce top (hence the 'S'
: designation in the model number), mahogony back & sides and a nato neck. The rosewood fretboard has
: 20 frets. No electronics, straight acoustic.
: Sound: 10
: I bought this guitar simply because I fell in love with the sound the first time I played it in the music store. It
: is the most balanced acoustic guitar ever. The low end is pronounced, but not deep and rich, like a Martin.
: The highs are easily heard, but not trebly or 'crashy' like cheaper guitars. The volume is plenty loud enough
: for me.
: Action, Fit, & Finish: 6
: This particular guitar is a 'factory second', designated by the Roman numeral II stamped on the sticker
: inside and more noticably the 2 inch crack running down from the left side of the saddle. It was cleated at
: the factory and I swear it has not affected the sound at all. The finish itself is natural and a bit heavier than
: what's found on more expensive guitars. The action was originally a little high (seems to be a Yamaha
: thing), but I had it adjusted and it's great.
: Reliability/Durability: 10
: Like steel this guitar is. I've dragged this poor old thing all over creation. I done things to it that I'm
: ashamed to say. You just can't wreck this guitar, short of TNT.
: Customer Support: N/A
: See above!
: Overall Rating: 10
: I would track down and kill anyone who took this guitar. I've had it for 20 years and along with my '72 Les
: Paul Deluxe it gives me about everything I need guitar-wise. For the tone of this guitar alone I have to give
: it the highest rating.
: Submitted by Bob Tyma at 01/25/1999 18:00

: Summary
: Manufacturer URL www.yamaha.com
: Features 8 (1 response)
: Sound 10 (1 response)
: Reliability/Durability 10 (1 response)
: Overall Rating 10 (1 response)

My dad bought this particuar guitar in Dec 1978 and paid $192. List price was $240, he got 20% off. I have the receipt from the purchase in front of me. We got his guitar out of the attic tonight. First time in many years that it has been played.

: : I am trying to get information about a Yamaha FG-750 S acoustic guitar, when it was made, the material used and the price it orginally sold for and any other information I can find
: I got this info by keying the model number into Google. Its a review from a guy whose had one for decades.
: This a mid-late 70's six string acoustic made in Taiwan. It features solid spruce top (hence the 'S'
: designation in the model number), mahogony back & sides and a nato neck. The rosewood fretboard has
: I bought this guitar simply because I fell in love with the sound the first time I played it in the music store. It
: is the most balanced acoustic guitar ever. The low end is pronounced, but not deep and rich, like a Martin.
: The highs are easily heard, but not trebly or 'crashy' like cheaper guitars. The volume is plenty loud enough
: This particular guitar is a 'factory second', designated by the Roman numeral II stamped on the sticker
: inside and more noticably the 2 inch crack running down from the left side of the saddle. It was cleated at
: the factory and I swear it has not affected the sound at all. The finish itself is natural and a bit heavier than
: what's found on more expensive guitars. The action was originally a little high (seems to be a Yamaha
: Like steel this guitar is. I've dragged this poor old thing all over creation. I done things to it that I'm
: I would track down and kill anyone who took this guitar. I've had it for 20 years and along with my '72 Les
: Paul Deluxe it gives me about everything I need guitar-wise. For the tone of this guitar alone I have to give

I posted the original comments on the 750S back in 1999. I still have it and it's still my #1 acoustic, but a word of warning in regards to strings: use nothing but lights or extra lights! I put mediums on mine about 5 years ago for a fuller sound and within a few months (tuned to concert pitch) the saddle started to pull away from the top! Had to have it reglued by a local luthier, who told me that the medium strings were the culprit. I went back light gauge strings (Elixers) and have had not problems since. Elixers cost more, but they last forever.

I have seen this vintage 1978-1980 FG-750S retailing in the range $150.00 to $400.00. $150.00 would be a steal. The new ones ( 2000 production) typically retail for $399.00. The older ones are nicer and will sound better due to the aging of the solid spruce top. The older ones may have been all solid....not sure. The older FG-750S are fairly scarce since they were only in production a couple of years and few were brought to USA. It's a nice high quality basic Dreadnaught!

:
: I have seen this vintage 1978-1980 FG-750S retailing in the range $150.00 to $400.00. $150.00 would be a steal. The new ones ( 2000 production) typically retail for $399.00. The older ones are nicer and will sound better due to the aging of the solid spruce top. The older ones may have been all solid....not sure. The older FG-750S are fairly scarce since they were only in production a couple of years and few were brought to USA. It's a nice high quality basic Dreadnaught!

: : : I am trying to get information about a Yamaha FG-750 S acoustic guitar, when it was made, the material used and the price it orginally sold for and any other information I can find
: : I got this info by keying the model number into Google. Its a review from a guy whose had one for decades.
: : Price Paid: US $175
: : Purchased from: N/A
: : A long gone music store in Greenville, IL
: : Features: 8
: : This a mid-late 70's six string acoustic made in Taiwan. It features solid spruce top (hence the 'S'
: : designation in the model number), mahogony back & sides and a nato neck. The rosewood fretboard has
: : 20 frets. No electronics, straight acoustic.
: : Sound: 10
: : I bought this guitar simply because I fell in love with the sound the first time I played it in the music store. It
: : is the most balanced acoustic guitar ever. The low end is pronounced, but not deep and rich, like a Martin.
: : The highs are easily heard, but not trebly or 'crashy' like cheaper guitars. The volume is plenty loud enough
: : for me.
: : Action, Fit, & Finish: 6
: : This particular guitar is a 'factory second', designated by the Roman numeral II stamped on the sticker
: : inside and more noticably the 2 inch crack running down from the left side of the saddle. It was cleated at
: : the factory and I swear it has not affected the sound at all. The finish itself is natural and a bit heavier than
: : what's found on more expensive guitars. The action was originally a little high (seems to be a Yamaha
: : thing), but I had it adjusted and it's great.
: : Reliability/Durability: 10
: : Like steel this guitar is. I've dragged this poor old thing all over creation. I done things to it that I'm
: : ashamed to say. You just can't wreck this guitar, short of TNT.
: : Customer Support: N/A
: : See above!
: : Overall Rating: 10
: : I would track down and kill anyone who took this guitar. I've had it for 20 years and along with my '72 Les
: : Paul Deluxe it gives me about everything I need guitar-wise. For the tone of this guitar alone I have to give
: : it the highest rating.
: : Submitted by Bob Tyma at 01/25/1999 18:00

: : Summary
: : Manufacturer URL www.yamaha.com
: : Features 8 (1 response)
: : Sound 10 (1 response)
: : Reliability/Durability 10 (1 response)
: : Overall Rating 10 (1 response)

I purchased A used FG-750S back in 1986 for around 175.00 and have played the hell out of it!
I've never had any work done on it other than changing strings and adjusting the truss rod. It still plays and sounds as good or better than the day I bought it.I've bought and sold many guitars since but will never sell this one. For the price it's A great guitar!

Nick Palumbo Houston,TX

: :
: : I have seen this vintage 1978-1980 FG-750S retailing in the range $150.00 to $400.00. $150.00 would be a steal. The new ones ( 2000 production) typically retail for $399.00. The older ones are nicer and will sound better due to the aging of the solid spruce top. The older ones may have been all solid....not sure. The older FG-750S are fairly scarce since they were only in production a couple of years and few were brought to USA. It's a nice high quality basic Dreadnaught!

: : : : I am trying to get information about a Yamaha FG-750 S acoustic guitar, when it was made, the material used and the price it orginally sold for and any other information I can find
: : : I got this info by keying the model number into Google. Its a review from a guy whose had one for decades.
: : : Price Paid: US $175
: : : Purchased from: N/A
: : : A long gone music store in Greenville, IL
: : : Features: 8
: : : This a mid-late 70's six string acoustic made in Taiwan. It features solid spruce top (hence the 'S'
: : : designation in the model number), mahogony back & sides and a nato neck. The rosewood fretboard has
: : : 20 frets. No electronics, straight acoustic.
: : : Sound: 10
: : : I bought this guitar simply because I fell in love with the sound the first time I played it in the music store. It
: : : is the most balanced acoustic guitar ever. The low end is pronounced, but not deep and rich, like a Martin.
: : : The highs are easily heard, but not trebly or 'crashy' like cheaper guitars. The volume is plenty loud enough
: : : for me.
: : : Action, Fit, & Finish: 6
: : : This particular guitar is a 'factory second', designated by the Roman numeral II stamped on the sticker
: : : inside and more noticably the 2 inch crack running down from the left side of the saddle. It was cleated at
: : : the factory and I swear it has not affected the sound at all. The finish itself is natural and a bit heavier than
: : : what's found on more expensive guitars. The action was originally a little high (seems to be a Yamaha
: : : thing), but I had it adjusted and it's great.
: : : Reliability/Durability: 10
: : : Like steel this guitar is. I've dragged this poor old thing all over creation. I done things to it that I'm
: : : ashamed to say. You just can't wreck this guitar, short of TNT.
: : : Customer Support: N/A
: : : See above!
: : : Overall Rating: 10
: : : I would track down and kill anyone who took this guitar. I've had it for 20 years and along with my '72 Les
: : : Paul Deluxe it gives me about everything I need guitar-wise. For the tone of this guitar alone I have to give
: : : it the highest rating.
: : : Submitted by Bob Tyma at 01/25/1999 18:00

: : : Summary
: : : Manufacturer URL www.yamaha.com
: : : Features 8 (1 response)
: : : Sound 10 (1 response)
: : : Reliability/Durability 10 (1 response)
: : : Overall Rating 10 (1 response)

: I purchased A used FG-750S back in 1986 for around 175.00 and have played the hell out of it!
: I've never had any work done on it other than changing strings and adjusting the truss rod. It still plays and sounds as good or better than the day I bought it.I've bought and sold many guitars since but will never sell this one. For the price it's A great guitar!

: Nick Palumbo Houston,TX

Nick,
We've lived parallel lives. I bought mine in 1985, took 6 months of lessons at the same guitar shop where I bought it (Klaverenga Guitar Studio, Lafayette, IN), and it still plays great--I'm not sure if I still play great. I love my Martin too, but this Yamaha still sings sweetly. It was and remains a great acoustic guitar--high value for an affordable price.
Kirk

:
: I have seen this vintage 1978-1980 FG-750S retailing in the range $150.00 to $400.00. $150.00 would be a steal. The new ones ( 2000 production) typically retail for $399.00. The older ones are nicer and will sound better due to the aging of the solid spruce top. The older ones may have been all solid....not sure. The older FG-750S are fairly scarce since they were only in production a couple of years and few were brought to USA. It's a nice high quality basic Dreadnaught!

: : : I am trying to get information about a Yamaha FG-750 S acoustic guitar, when it was made, the material used and the price it orginally sold for and any other information I can find
: : I got this info by keying the model number into Google. Its a review from a guy whose had one for decades.
: : Price Paid: US $175
: : Purchased from: N/A
: : A long gone music store in Greenville, IL
: : Features: 8
: : This a mid-late 70's six string acoustic made in Taiwan. It features solid spruce top (hence the 'S'
: : designation in the model number), mahogony back & sides and a nato neck. The rosewood fretboard has
: : 20 frets. No electronics, straight acoustic.
: : Sound: 10
: : I bought this guitar simply because I fell in love with the sound the first time I played it in the music store. It
: : is the most balanced acoustic guitar ever. The low end is pronounced, but not deep and rich, like a Martin.
: : The highs are easily heard, but not trebly or 'crashy' like cheaper guitars. The volume is plenty loud enough
: : for me.
: : Action, Fit, & Finish: 6
: : This particular guitar is a 'factory second', designated by the Roman numeral II stamped on the sticker
: : inside and more noticably the 2 inch crack running down from the left side of the saddle. It was cleated at
: : the factory and I swear it has not affected the sound at all. The finish itself is natural and a bit heavier than
: : what's found on more expensive guitars. The action was originally a little high (seems to be a Yamaha
: : thing), but I had it adjusted and it's great.
: : Reliability/Durability: 10
: : Like steel this guitar is. I've dragged this poor old thing all over creation. I done things to it that I'm
: : ashamed to say. You just can't wreck this guitar, short of TNT.
: : Customer Support: N/A
: : See above!
: : Overall Rating: 10
: : I would track down and kill anyone who took this guitar. I've had it for 20 years and along with my '72 Les
: : Paul Deluxe it gives me about everything I need guitar-wise. For the tone of this guitar alone I have to give
: : it the highest rating.
: : Submitted by Bob Tyma at 01/25/1999 18:00

: : Summary
: : Manufacturer URL www.yamaha.com
: : Features 8 (1 response)
: : Sound 10 (1 response)
: : Reliability/Durability 10 (1 response)
: : Overall Rating 10 (1 response)

I purchased A used FG-750S back in 1986 for around 175.00 and have played the hell out of it!
I've never had any work done on it other than changing strings and adjusting the truss rod. It still plays and sounds as good or better than the day I bought it.I've bought and sold many guitars since but will never sell this one. For the price it's A great guitar!

I love this guitar, it was my first guitar from my father and we both want to know how much it is worth because it's in great condition and sounds brand new please e-mail me!!!

: I love this guitar, it was my first guitar from my father and we both want to know how much it is worth because it's in great condition and sounds brand new please e-mail me!!!

Just wonder if you ever sold it. Just purchased one like new. What strings did you use on it?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.