Guild DV-72 NT / Guild JF-100-12

Posted by Donn D. on Wed, 10/25/06 - 02:12:27.

Googled the DV-72 and found this discussion site. I also am a proud owner of a Guild DV-72 NT HG 'Pueblo' Ltd. Edition dreadnaught. It is Ser.# LK000007. Initially bought Ser.# LK000003 new from a dealer some years back (who'd purchased 4 of them from the factory run), but it arrived with a 1-inch long vert. finish check at the top of the pickguard (back in the day when manufacturers wood glued the pickguards to the top wood). #003 was exquisite, with near-white clear spruce top, perfectly straight neck/fingerboard and incredible sustain (partly due to very thin top finish). The herringbone top binding design lacked the inner black trim bands on this one. The finish check was analyzed as an older blemish, and not occuring during shipment to me. Because it was intended as a gift, I complained to the dealer, who offered to swap it for another one, from two other DV-72s, which he'd recently got back factory-refinished by Guild for similar finish checking issues. I took #007, which had the darker spruce top and the full-banded herringbone top binding. The refinishing work on the other refinished example (don't recall the serial number) was awful, with a very heavy & inconsistent laquer topcoat and very poor sustain. The refinish work on #007's top coat was well done, albeit also a bit on the thick side, affecting the guitar's sustain. #007 ended up back in my posession, and I treasure it. I still regret not keeping #003 for myself (complete w/finish check), because it was the best sounding acoustic 6-string I have ever heard from many fine guitars I've owned and played over forty years at it. I also own a special order Waverly-built Guild Model JF-100-12 jumbo 12-string (Ser.# 7019039), which has the carved neck, so technically it should be a Model JF-100C-12 ('C' for 'carved neck'). Had it custom made with a beautiful cherry sunburst to go with my Gibson Custom Shop 1994-spec J-200 RW Deluxe 6-string, that has a triple Cherry Sunburst finish. After having owned a fine Guild F512 in 1975, I always wanted to replace it with a JF-100-12 someday, and was lucky to get the opportunity to order one before the original Guild factory closed-down. *** I've always wondered how many JF-100-12/JF-100C-12 twelve strings were made by Guild.??? To date, Fender/Guild custom shop has no plans to build this model again. It is the best looking - best playing - best sounding acoustic jumbo 12-string for my tastes. I would never consider selling either of my Guild acoustics, neither of which, BTW, is amplified. Hope some of this info is of interest to the other posters. I've only seen two DV-72 NT HG guitars, and one DV-76 NT HG (the red coral inlay version) sell on eBay, and a few D-100C models. Never a JF-100-12, though. In fact, it's impressive to note just how few Guild acoustics do show up on the resale market compared to other makes, which is a testament to their fine quality craftsmanship, sound and desirability by owners. Thank God that Fender had the good sense to recognize Guild's tradition and legacy!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

GUILD JF100-12 nt or sb crv string

Hi I'm looking for a Guild Jf100 nt or crv 12 string,if you know of one for sale or have one you would like to sell please email me,Thank You

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.