Posted by Robert Dirosa on Fri, 08/01/03 - 18:31:21.

Follow-up to previous - I wrote today; the reply follows:

FG360 were made between 1973-1975 and retailed new for $376.00 USA$$$
Spruce top
Jacaranda back and sides
Mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard.

MK is probably more like a quality control guy and not a luthier.
This is all the info I have.

So much for the theory of MK the luthier. I wonder if this guy is right though?

Robert Dirosa, Somerville, MA -

: Everyone who's played my old Yamaha FG-360 since I bought it used at Central Music, Brockton, MA in 1980 for $200, from an owner who looked me in the eye and said with conviction, "This is a really nice guitar, especially for the price", has remarked on how beautifully it sounded and played, often adding "especially for a Yamaha". I've had the neck straightened once; new gear heads, bridge and were saddle installed a few years back, and it's better than ever.

: My guitar has the lutenist's mark, MK, stamped inside, with the right vertical of the M faded, making it at first look like N.

: Recently, looking for a serial number, I found, inside on the block of wood at the base of the sound box, a hand written number - 64 - apparently written in black felt-tipped marker. So, if anyone who has an FG-360 wants to know where the serial number is, point a flashlight inside at the base of the body.

: So, to Yamaha lutenist MK-san, wherever you are, you are a master craftsman. Your #64 FG-360 is still in good service at about age 30, and I've played it happily for 23 years.

: If anyone finds out the identity of MK, Japanese lutenist who made the FG-360, drop me a line at

: - Robert Dirosa

: : : : i also have a fg360 and if you find anything out id appreciate it. my guitar was froduced pre-1950 thanx

: : : I also have one, and there are 2 reviewed at Harmony Central. Curious as to the pre 1950. I bought mine new in 1972-4 time frame.

: : The Yamaha FG-360 was manufactured 1972-1974 only. Some were luthier signed models, some standard production. Yamaha suggested list price was $365.00 in 1972. Solid spruce top, ebony fingerboard, very nice sounding instrument! I just picked one up at a flea market a few weeks back...great sounding acoustic axe!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: YAMAHA FG-360 ACCOUSTIC GUITAR

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2015 , All Rights Reserved.