S. Yairi guitar

Posted by Joel D. Applebaum on Thu, 07/19/01 - 10:23:58.

I recently purchased a classical S. Yairi guitar, produced in 1969 in the Nagoya Japan shop. Inside the body is a label which reads, "Handcrafted in Japan by Yairi, model no. 600, ad 1969, serial no. 127 (or 121) and on the bracing is branded "Yairi Gakki, Nagoya." any information on this luthier, the guitar, value range, etc would be most appreciated. I purchased it at a used instrument store in Michigan, and the owner believed it to be a K. Yairi/Alvarez guitar, and I am sure based his price accordingly. I paid $400 (less trade in). I have confirmed through e-mails to Japan that it is not K. Yairi, but rather an S. Yairi.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: S. Yairi guitar

S Yairi guitar. I owned a handcrafted steel string acoustic. Made in 1977. I got it for a mere 155 English pounds in 1978 in a bankrupt stock sale. I have never heard a nicer guitar to this day. Although, I must admit, I didn't find it the easiest guitar to play. Same as everyone else I haven't been able to find out a great deal about S. Yairi. I can tell you I showed it to a number of knowledgable guitar buffs (retailers mainly) and they all agreed that they had not come across a guitar of this calibre. Nor could they shed any light on the manufacturer. Unfortunately, my guitar met an early demise in 1991 when my ex-wife decided to use it to knock down a wall during a heated argument. It's now in ten pieces. That is one reason why she is an ex-wife. I've still got the pieces in my attic. I still can't bear to part with it even though it is totally beyond repair.

: S Yairi guitar. I owned a handcrafted steel string acoustic. Made in 1977. I got it for a mere 155 English pounds in 1978 in a bankrupt stock sale. I have never heard a nicer guitar to this day. Although, I must admit, I didn't find it the easiest guitar to play. Same as everyone else I haven't been able to find out a great deal about S. Yairi. I can tell you I showed it to a number of knowledgable guitar buffs (retailers mainly) and they all agreed that they had not come across a guitar of this calibre. Nor could they shed any light on the manufacturer. Unfortunately, my guitar met an early demise in 1991 when my ex-wife decided to use it to knock down a wall during a heated argument. It's now in ten pieces. That is one reason why she is an ex-wife. I've still got the pieces in my attic. I still can't bear to part with it even though it is totally beyond repair.

Try (Alvarez by Kazuo Yari) Alvarez site should give you some information.
MC

I have managed to obtain a classical guitar that is in great condition and plays very well but no-one seems to know anything much about this particular instrument.

It has label that reads, SADA Luthier Nagoya, Japan, Anno 1981 No.G15.

I have looked on the Internet for information relating to the origins and maker of this guitar without any success. Someone told me that it may be linked to the luthier Sada Yairi ???

I was wondering if someone can shed any light on this guitar or perhaps direct me to someone who can.

: I have managed to obtain a classical guitar that is in great condition and plays very well but no-one seems to know anything much about this particular instrument.

: It has label that reads, SADA Luthier Nagoya, Japan, Anno 1981 No.G15.

: I have looked on the Internet for information relating to the origins and maker of this guitar without any success. Someone told me that it may be linked to the luthier Sada Yairi ???

: I was wondering if someone can shed any light on this guitar or perhaps direct me to someone who can.

I was also interested to find out prices as I have a 1970 nylon yairi clase: 300, n.o 664 please tell me if you know.

From what I have gathered, there are two S. Yairi(s). Sada is/was? the father of K. Yairi, Segeao is the cousin. Sada built great instruments, and K. Yairi carried on the tradition.

: : I have managed to obtain a classical guitar that is in great condition and plays very well but no-one seems to know anything much about this particular instrument.

: : It has label that reads, SADA Luthier Nagoya, Japan, Anno 1981 No.G15.

: : I have looked on the Internet for information relating to the origins and maker of this guitar without any success. Someone told me that it may be linked to the luthier Sada Yairi ???

: : I was wondering if someone can shed any light on this guitar or perhaps direct me to someone who can.

: I was also interested to find out prices as I have a 1970 nylon yairi clase: 300, n.o 664 please tell me if you know.

: :I got ahold of the S. Yairi company and apparantly the SADA Yairi guitar makers are not affiliated with them, however, according to the guy from the alvarez Yairi company, Sada Yairi is a cousin of K.Yairi

: : I have managed to obtain a classical guitar that is in great condition and plays very well but no-one seems to know anything much about this particular instrument.

: : I have looked on the Internet for information relating to the origins and maker of this guitar without any success. Someone told me that it may be linked to the luthier Sada Yairi ???

: : I was wondering if someone can shed any light on this guitar or perhaps direct me to someone who can.

: I was also interested to find out prices as I have a 1970 nylon yairi clase: 300, n.o 664 please tell me if you know.

I've got a SADA Luthier No.650 "Hand Made"classical guitar that I purchased approx 30 years ago. If you look inside the sound hole, below the the back tag on my guitar, you'll see a stamp on the back centre brace that reads: SADA YAIRI, Nagoya, Made in Japan.
This would lead me to beleive that the guitar was hand made by SADA Yairi.

: : : I have managed to obtain a classical guitar that is in great condition and plays very well but no-one seems to know anything much about this particular instrument.

: : : It has label that reads, SADA Luthier Nagoya, Japan, Anno 1981 No.G15.

: : : I have looked on the Internet for information relating to the origins and maker of this guitar without any success. Someone told me that it may be linked to the luthier Sada Yairi ???

: : : I was wondering if someone can shed any light on this guitar or perhaps direct me to someone who can.

: : I was also interested to find out prices as I have a 1970 nylon yairi clase: 300, n.o 664 please tell me if you know.

: I've got a SADA Luthier No.650 "Hand Made"classical guitar that I purchased approx 30 years ago. If you look inside the sound hole, below the the back tag on my guitar, you'll see a stamp on the back centre brace that reads: SADA YAIRI, Nagoya, Made in Japan.
: This would lead me to beleive that the guitar was hand made by SADA Yairi.

I also have a SADA LUTHIER "Hand Made" guitar, numbered as "CLASE 853". There is no more information on the label. It's a classical Spanish guitar, walnut back and sideboards and a lighter front. I got the guitar from my parents in 1974 or 1975. The price they payed was at that time was about 100,- euro (I am Dutch!). I still play it and I am very happy with it because the sound is very warm and the guitar plays very well.

Yairi Classical Guitar (Vintage 1969)

I own a vintage Yairi Classical Guitar which was purchased back in 1968. The guitar is is excellent condition and has a sticker within the sound hole (rosette) autographed by Sadao Yairi - I also have the original case. I am interested in selling this guitar to the right collector. I am asking $950.00 but am willing to negotiate. Please contact me via email (Photodude0755@yahoo.com) to discuss.

: : : : I have managed to obtain a classical guitar that is in great condition and plays very well but no-one seems to know anything much about this particular instrument.

: : : : It has label that reads, SADA Luthier Nagoya, Japan, Anno 1981 No.G15.

: : : : I have looked on the Internet for information relating to the origins and maker of this guitar without any success. Someone told me that it may be linked to the luthier Sada Yairi ???

: : : : I was wondering if someone can shed any light on this guitar or perhaps direct me to someone who can.

: : : I was also interested to find out prices as I have a 1970 nylon yairi clase: 300, n.o 664 please tell me if you know.

: : I've got a SADA Luthier No.650 "Hand Made"classical guitar that I purchased approx 30 years ago. If you look inside the sound hole, below the the back tag on my guitar, you'll see a stamp on the back centre brace that reads: SADA YAIRI, Nagoya, Made in Japan.
: : This would lead me to beleive that the guitar was hand made by SADA Yairi.

: I also have a SADA LUTHIER "Hand Made" guitar, numbered as "CLASE 853". There is no more information on the label. It's a classical Spanish guitar, walnut back and sideboards and a lighter front. I got the guitar from my parents in 1974 or 1975. The price they payed was at that time was about 100,- euro (I am Dutch!). I still play it and I am very happy with it because the sound is very warm and the guitar plays very well.

seems to be a lot of lost SYairi owners out there grasping for clues I also have a 650 classical I rescued from a skip it has definaltely done the rounds, several repairs to what look like being slammed in a car door on the side panel and 2 (now profesionaly repaired) cracks in the top below the bridge. its a grand old guitar. im a bajno player myself so i dont realy play it much but I often get asked by ppl who do if i will sell, the answer is always no ,
besides i have no idea what its worth?

: : : : I have managed to obtain a classical guitar that is in great condition and plays very well but no-one seems to know anything much about this particular instrument.

: : : : It has label that reads, SADA Luthier Nagoya, Japan, Anno 1981 No.G15.

: : : : I have looked on the Internet for information relating to the origins and maker of this guitar without any success. Someone told me that it may be linked to the luthier Sada Yairi ???

: : : : I was wondering if someone can shed any light on this guitar or perhaps direct me to someone who can.

: : : I was also interested to find out prices as I have a 1970 nylon yairi clase: 300, n.o 664 please tell me if you know.

: : I've got a SADA Luthier No.650 "Hand Made"classical guitar that I purchased approx 30 years ago. If you look inside the sound hole, below the the back tag on my guitar, you'll see a stamp on the back centre brace that reads: SADA YAIRI, Nagoya, Made in Japan.
: : This would lead me to beleive that the guitar was hand made by SADA Yairi.

: I also have a SADA LUTHIER "Hand Made" guitar, numbered as "CLASE 853". There is no more information on the label. It's a classical Spanish guitar, walnut back and sideboards and a lighter front. I got the guitar from my parents in 1974 or 1975. The price they payed was at that time was about 100,- euro (I am Dutch!). I still play it and I am very happy with it because the sound is very warm and the guitar plays very well.

Not sure you still want info~ if so, e-mail me at yairi_luvr@comcast.net and I'll try to help answer questions.

Hi,

Just to let you know that I too own a Sada Luthier classical guitar. I am now 53 years old and purchased it in Bielefeld, North Germany in 1970. It was manufactured in 1968. It was one of a pair (different types, the other being a flamenco style model)that I bought at the time. I am not a good guitarist but I love the tone of my guitar and would never sell it. I now own only the one. I too was looking tonight for information on Sada Luthier as I visited a guitar shop today in Swindon, England and saw Luthier guitars for sale. This prompted my search. Can't help much with any more info as I too drew a blank. Just to let you know that you are not alone.Anno 1981 No.G15.

: I have looked on the Internet for information relating to the origins and maker of this guitar without any success. Someone told me that it may be linked to the luthier Sada Yairi ???

: I was wondering if someone can shed any light on this guitar or perhaps direct me to someone who can.

: I have managed to obtain a classical guitar that is in great condition and plays very well but no-one seems to know anything much about this particular instrument.

: It has label that reads, SADA Luthier Nagoya, Japan, Anno 1981 No.G15.

Reply::I too own a SADA classical guitar that I bought a few years ago. Mine is a No. 30 that was made in 1980. To date I have not been able to find anything out about the maker. When I first bought the guitar I thought I would use it as a practice guitar because I'm a bit of a guitar junky and I wanted to preserve some very expensive guitars I own. As it has turns out the SADA is now my favorite guitar. My other classicals all have unique and great sonic qualities and all are masterfully constructed (I own a Hasselbacher, a Ruck, a Sahlin, and a Rodriguez), but the SADA has such a beautiful warm expressive tone that I keep picking it up to play. Whoever built this guitar did an incredible job of making it very musical. My other guitars are considered world class and they are: each of them was the best sounding/playing guitar I had experienced at the time I bought them. So, I was very surprised when I found this guitar by an unknown maker that is equally as world class. If you ever find anything out about SADA please let me know. Regards.

Re: S. Yairi guitar good information!!!!!!!!

Here's good information about the makers
http://www.guitargearheads.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=180

Cheers!

my guitar is a 1975 sada yairi #810. I too have no other information on this guitar other than I got it in oregon city around 1976. it is not a classical guitar but a big flat top: there are other numbers on the inside and it is a fine guitar. strange there does not seem to be much info on them :

: my guitar is a 1975 sada yairi #810. I too have no other information on this guitar other than I got it in oregon city around 1976. it is not a classical guitar but a big flat top: there are other numbers on the inside and it is a fine guitar. strange there does not seem to be much info on them : I too have the same guitar, a 1975 #810.I know nothing about this guitar,I think my dad got it in england and brought it to australia I've had it for the past 12 years or so.

: I recently purchased a classical S. Yairi guitar, produced in 1969 in the Nagoya Japan shop. Inside the body is a label which reads, "Handcrafted in Japan by Yairi, model no. 600, ad 1969, serial no. 127 (or 121) and on the bracing is branded "Yairi Gakki, Nagoya." any information on this luthier, the guitar, value range, etc would be most appreciated. I purchased it at a used instrument store in Michigan, and the owner believed it to be a K. Yairi/Alvarez guitar, and I am sure based his price accordingly. I paid $400 (less trade in). I have confirmed through e-mails to Japan that it is not K. Yairi, but rather an S. Yairi.

Sadao Yairi. Maker of classical and steel string accoustics - the classical models seem to have been excellent student models. Operated (as far as I can tell) a factory from the 60's through to the early 80's. There appear to be more recent steel string (Martin copies?) produced and sold in Japan, though. My partner's model 700 is better than any of the current student guitars I've tried in a search of my own. The 600 is a hand made instrument and should be of the same order. The luthier (probably not Yairi himself) may have signed the underside of the soundboard in the traditional manner.
The S.Yairi concern also built the first Lowden accoustics until the factory in N.Ireland was set up.

S.Yairi Model 730 1977

I have an S. Yairi Model 730 purchased new in 1977 Great sounding instrument but it may be needing a neck reset.
Does anyone know how the neck is attached? Dovetail? Mortise and tenon? It would be good to know before I start the repair. Thanks you, James

1970 Yairi - A 17 model?

I originally purchased this unusual guitar, serial number 644, in 1970 to replace a 1964 Martin 00 size folk steel.
It has a classical wide neck, steel strings, and a curved fretboard.
Can anyone verify the model number or tell me more about it?

Thanks,

Steve Latterell

Alvarez - K. Yairi DY74

I have An Alvarez guitar by Kazuo Tairi. Model # DY74 S/n 51559, Made in Japan in 1983. Signed by K. Yairi.
This guitar has been owned by me since her birthday. MINT CONDITION. I have pictures but I don't know where or to whom i would send. I was wondering how much it is worth?

Please reply to e-mail address or on this website, however you do it. Never did this before. Just curious. It sold brand new in 1983 for $650.00.

Sincerely, Lilly

Jairi Gakki Ltd 1969 guitar #19

I have this guitar and would like to know more about it, as I would like to see it if possible?

Jairi Gakki Ltd 1969 guitar #19

Sorry I meant SELL it..!

I have a yairi bought new in 1965, model 700.
I played only briefly and it has been stored.
I need money more than things now.
What's it worth?
claudia

: I have a yairi bought new in 1965, model 700.
: I played only briefly and it has been stored.
: I need money more than things now.
: What's it worth?
: claudia
Claudia: I wd like to buy this. I wd pay 500.00.
f_quann@yahoo.com thank you

: : I recently purchased a classical S. Yairi guitar, produced in 1969 in the Nagoya Japan shop. Inside the body is a label which reads, "Handcrafted in Japan by Yairi, model no. 600, ad 1969, serial no. 127 (or 121) and on the bracing is branded "Yairi Gakki, Nagoya." any information on this luthier, the guitar, value range, etc would be most appreciated. I purchased it at a used instrument store in Michigan, and the owner believed it to be a K. Yairi/Alvarez guitar, and I am sure based his price accordingly. I paid $400 (less trade in). I have confirmed through e-mails to Japan that it is not K. Yairi, but rather an S. Yairi.

: Sadao Yairi. Maker of classical and steel string accoustics - the classical models seem to have been excellent student models. Operated (as far as I can tell) a factory from the 60's through to the early 80's. There appear to be more recent steel string (Martin copies?) produced and sold in Japan, though. My partner's model 700 is better than any of the current student guitars I've tried in a search of my own. The 600 is a hand made instrument and should be of the same order. The luthier (probably not Yairi himself) may have signed the underside of the soundboard in the traditional manner.
: The S.Yairi concern also built the first Lowden accoustics until the factory in N.Ireland was set up.

Info on Sadao Yairi here:
http://yairiguitars.spaces.live.com/

Questions?
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Alvarez_AlvarezYairi_plus/

I purchased a Yairi guitar when I was in the U.S. Navy in 1969 when we stopped in Japan on R&R. The label inside the guitar reads: YAIRI GUITAR Hand Made Made in Japan YAIRI GAKKI LTD. NO. B-3 Nagoya AD. 69 F I have played this guitar throughout the years and just love it. I has been a faithful instrument and has brought me lots of pleasure.

I purchased for my 16th birthday a S Yari Clase 9000 acoustic guitar. I believe it was around $200 from a plcae on Cape Cod known as Gott's music. The guitar is signed by S Yari from Nagoya in Novenber of 1971 - Anyone know anything about this type of guitar and its value?

: I purchased for my 16th birthday a S Yari Clase 9000 acoustic guitar. I believe it was around $200 from a plcae on Cape Cod known as Gott's music. The guitar is signed by S Yari from Nagoya in Novenber of 1971 - Anyone know anything about this type of guitar and its value?

I misspelled the name it is S. Yairi and the company name is Yairi Gakki LTD

Not sure what it's worth, but I have one from 1972 (serial no. 3481). It's a nice little classic. 35 years later, Yairi is now Alvarez, I think, which as you know is a middle-to-low end guitar brand.

: : I purchased for my 16th birthday a S Yari Clase 9000 acoustic guitar. I believe it was around $200 from a plcae on Cape Cod known as Gott's music. The guitar is signed by S Yari from Nagoya in Novenber of 1971 - Anyone know anything about this type of guitar and its value?

: I misspelled the name it is S. Yairi and the company name is Yairi Gakki LTD

: Not sure what it's worth, but I have one from 1972 (serial no. 3481). It's a nice little classic. 35 years later, Yairi is now Alvarez, I think, which as you know is a middle-to-low end guitar brand.

Info on Sadao Yairi here:
http://yairiguitars.spaces.live.com/

Questions?
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Alvarez_AlvarezYairi_plus/

: : : I purchased for my 16th birthday a S Yari Clase 9000 acoustic guitar. I believe it was around $200 from a plcae on Cape Cod known as Gott's music. The guitar is signed by S Yari from Nagoya in Novenber of 1971 - Anyone know anything about this type of guitar and its value?

: : I misspelled the name it is S. Yairi and the company name is Yairi Gakki LTD

: I purchased for my 16th birthday a S Yari Clase 9000 acoustic guitar. I believe it was around $200 from a plcae on Cape Cod known as Gott's music. The guitar is signed by S Yari from Nagoya in Novenber of 1971 - Anyone know anything about this type of guitar and its value?

I misspelled the name it is S. Yairi and the company name is Yairi Gakki LTD

: I bought a Sadao Yairi guitar, model 730, new in 1977. This was in Edinburgh, Scotland. I still have the guitar, and also the catalogue from that time which shows the entire range then in existence. The range was very similar to that of Martin (my 730 is a dead ringer for a Martin D28). The price I paid then was 185 British Pounds. It's been a very good guitar and sounds better the older it gets.

WHO the HELL is sada yairi i bought one brand new in 1975 from a music store in ma since gone out off buss. paid450.00 then with hard shell model #720 s signed on braceing sada yairi since 1932 HELP

i just bought one at a yard sale, inside says handmade 1969 yairi gakki co. model 650 number 54 signed sadao yairi. cedar top mahogany back. sounds wonderful. i know this is no help.

I bought a Sadao Yairi in 1969 signed by Sadao Yairi, Model 700, Serial # 15. Any guess on value? Was Sadao related to K. Yairi?

: I bought a Sadao Yairi in 1969 signed by Sadao Yairi, Model 700, Serial # 15. Any guess on value? Was Sadao related to K. Yairi?

yes S. is Ks. cousin, i read some years ago when hunting info,

I have a nice 000-style that I'm also trying to appraise....anyone know anything?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.