Information on Lero Guitars

Posted by Kevin Ball on Thu, 11/08/01 - 12:24:50.

i have a friend that has a guitar named "Lero" it's about 50 years old and i'd like to hear from someone that has heard of this company or owns 1 of these instruments.I have seen it in a photograph,it is a
Dreadnought acoustic guitar.any views & comments are wellcome.THANK YOU. kevin

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Lero Mandolin

Hi there,

I just recently required an old : Lero Mandolin in it's case. Anyone have any info. It has the orginal sticker inside that it is purchased from Remeny Music on Queen Street in Toronto. That is a fantastic haven of history etc. Just thought I would fire this off because I just acquired it today and thought I would see what I could find on the computer. Thanks for any input. All vintage or antique mandolins I see for sale are every other name but Lero.

acoustic lero guitar

hi i have a lero acoustic guitar i dont know much about it i had it for a long time

Re: Information on Lero Guitars

I have an old solid body electric (2 pickups with volume and tone knobs for each, and switches to turn them on and off, plus an adjustable bridge). My Grandfather bought it in 64' at the Eaton's department store in Moncton, N.B. and I found it in the attic a few years ago. It needed new wiring, but now it sounds great. It's a tough guitar, keeps it's tune really well, is lightweight, and best of all, it cost me next to nothing. I really like the look of it (black, single cut-away) and the sound it makes...especially distorted. Clean tone's not so great, but I have an acoustic for that.
I've been looking for information on the company (made in China) but so far, it's like they never existed.

Lero Guitar

I have the same ole black electric guitar here... I got mine at a local music store 75/76, played it for a while and put it away... just dug it out last summer and have been rockin for the last lil while on it...

i was given an old electric guitar called a Lero, mines pre-lawsuit to the gibson headstock, and its a Les Paul copy and the pickguard setup is similar to the 1971 Gibson Les Paul Recording (LPR)i need information

Black Lero Les Paul

I bought a black Lero Les Paul about 2 years ago and really like it. Nice, heavy guitar weighing maybe 8 or 9 pounds. Good action too. Nice old Japanese quality.

Lero les paul reproduction

hi i have a Lero les paul repoduction black its a 1970 or 1971 can you tell me something about it ???

Black Lero LES PAUL

I just bought the same as you at a pawn shop for 180$.

Real nice, body isnt in great shape.( aged lines and a couple dents n dings) but has a silver humbucker pickup and another pickup thats white... i dont want to open it up and check all the parts cause its old and i dont want to hurt it.

All i could found out was that it was made between 1970-1974. Its black with a white strip around the edge. 2 white pickup switches, and 4 gold dials on it. Reading "T" on 2, and "V" on the other 2. the pick gaurd is elevated from the base of the guitar. and headstock is identical to Gibson, except it says Lero.

There is also a pickgaurd soft of thing beneath all the dials n switches, and no opening on the back.

If anyone could tell me anything more about this i would really appreciate it.

Only markings on it are "Made in Japan"

Facebook Group

Yet another comment, but here's the facebook group if anyone wants to join. if you don't have an account I recommend signing up because this could be the thing we were all waiting for!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1315347685&ref=name#/group.php?gid=47898877118&ref=mf

lero electric guitar

I bought my lero back in 1977 it's a tele style sun burst with an f hole two control knobs with a metal plate
over the bridge .I had it rewired a couple of years ago but still needs a lot of work . It still plays real fine
and has a great sound

I have Pictures and A FB Group

I painted my Les Paul Black before ( Now I'm doing it again another colour) but the point is the Instructable I will link is full of the guitar pictures if anyone is interested.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-old-guitar-look-brand-new/

And if anyone replies to me, I can make a FaceBook group (or you can) uniting anyone who owns a Lero instrument together. I thought it was a cool idea. Peace

: i have a friend that has a guitar named "Lero" it's about 50 years old and i'd like to hear from someone that has heard of this company or owns 1 of these instruments.I have seen it in a photograph,it is a
: Dreadnought acoustic guitar.any views & comments are wellcome.THANK YOU. kevin

hey kevin i have a lero electric guitar.

: : i have a friend that has a guitar named "Lero" it's about 50 years old and i'd like to hear from someone that has heard of this company or owns 1 of these instruments.I have seen it in a photograph,it is a
: : Dreadnought acoustic guitar.any views & comments are wellcome.THANK YOU. kevin

:
: hey kevin i have a lero electric guitar.

i will also sell it to anyone it needs new strings thats all, andits signed by smash mouth:)

: i have a friend that has a guitar named "Lero" it's about 50 years old and i'd like to hear from someone that has heard of this company or owns 1 of these instruments.I have seen it in a photograph,it is a
: Dreadnought acoustic guitar.any views & comments are wellcome.THANK YOU. kevin

Hey kevin i have a lero electric guitar its pretty nice i bought at a garage sale I live in canada.

My brother had a Lero Bass guitar back in the 70's.It was cut like a Telecaster with 1 p/u& vol.& tone knobs.
Decent tone,clean and clear when played through his Gibson "THOR" bass amp. The oddest thing about it was that the bolt-on neck seemed to be made up of many 1/8" thick pieces of wood laminated together( the long way) before being cut into a neck, giving it a vertical striped look. Lero amps were a "stencil" product of Garnet Amps of Winnepeg Can. Great info at garnetamps.com

32 year old Lero Stratocaster copy

Hi,
I have a Lero Stratocaster copy that I got about 26 years ago and it was already about 10 yrs old. It's light woodgrain with a black pickguard and needs new wiring and switches as all you hear is buzzing and static. But the touch is great and it's a fun guitar to play and still looks GREAT! It was my first electric guitar, and it's worth getting fixed. Anyone out there have one of these or know who can fix it up?

i have the same guitar just

i have the same guitar just bought it from a pawn shop in mint condition for 120.00 even came in the origonal case. not sure how old it is but it plays better than my real strat and im lovin the pickup selectors its got in it. it also could use a little work on the electrical but it only really needs the contacts cleaned. thats about it, pretty easy to do yourself if you have a spair hour or two on a rainy day.

hey, I'm not really sure about any information on the Lero guitars but my friend also just gave me a Lero guitar thats about 35-40 years old and I was wondering if you have discovered any information on the brand and value of the guitar.

i used to have one... had the shape of an SG... two humbuckers, low output and the neck was really crappy, 19 or 20 fret... very unrecommended

hay all i just got a lero guitar for $50.00 in almost mint shape looks a little like a gibson i just want to know more about it thanks email pics if you have any

: i have a lero bass. Has a telecaster style body, sunburst, actually a really good guitar, and i believe it was purchased in miramichi new brunswick in the early 70's.besides that i know nothing about this guitar

I was given a Léro bass, and it has a sticker that says "Made in Korea", so to all of you thinking they are Canadian made, sorry. But they are Korean. The quality doesn't look too great as it's not a laquered finish. I wasn't able to test the pickups or anything either seeing as how I need a new bridge and nut. Definitely not a "good" bass for the time as there are useless holes in the body.

My friend's dad's Lero guitar

Hello. My friend's dad Sam has an old Lero guitar that was given to him a long time ago. It's a decent looking guitar with a sunburst paintjob. It has a retro looking pickguard that I think is a tortise shell pickguard. The guitar has a whammy bar that Neil lost somehow, and it has two knobs and two switches for tone I think. Neil's dad doesn't know if the electronics still work though, the neck needs some adjustment and all the the tuning machines are stripped. It is a six-string guitar, but right now it only has one seriously out of tune string. Even though it has many problems I'm still very interested in it, I can't find any info on Lero guitars so any help would make my day nicer, farewell.

Hello. My friend's dad Sam has an old Lero guitar that was given to him a long time ago. It's a decent looking guitar with a sunburst paintjob. It has a retro looking pickguard that I think is a tortise shell pickguard. The guitar has a whammy bar that Neil lost somehow, and it has two knobs and two switches for tone I think. Neil's dad doesn't know if the electronics still work though, the neck needs some adjustment and all the the tuning machines are stripped. It is a six-string guitar, but right now it only has one seriously out of tune string. Even though it has many problems I'm still very interested in it, I can't find any info on Lero guitars so any help would make my day nicer, farewell.

Hello. My friend's dad Sam has an old Lero guitar that was given to him a long time ago. It's a decent looking guitar with a sunburst paintjob. It has a retro looking pickguard that I think is a tortise shell pickguard. The guitar has a whammy bar that Neil lost somehow, and it has two knobs and two switches for tone I think. Neil's dad doesn't know if the electronics still work though, and the neck needs some adjustment and all the the tuning machines are stripped. It is a six-string guitar, but right now it only has one seriously out of tune string. Even though it has many problems I'm still very interested in it, I can't find any info on Lero guitars so any help would make my day nicer, farewell.

Hello. My friend's dad Sam has an old Lero guitar that was given to him a long time ago. It's a decent looking guitar with a sunburst paintjob. It has a retro looking pickguard that I think is a tortise shell pickguard. The guitar has a whammy bar that Neil lost somehow, and it has two knobs and two switches for tone I think. Neil's dad doesn't know if the electronics still work though. the neck needs some adjustment and all the the tuning machines are stripped. It is a six-string guitar, but right now it only has one seriously out of tune string. Even though it has many problems I'm still very interested in it, I can't find any info on Lero guitars so any help would make my day nicer, farewell.

Hello. My friend's dad Sam has an old Lero guitar that was given to him a long time ago. It's a decent looking guitar with a sunburst paintjob. It has a retro looking pickguard that I think is a tortise shell pickguard. The guitar has a whammy bar that Neil lost somehow. and it has two knobs and two switches for tone I think. Neil's dad doesn't know if the electronics still work though. the neck needs some adjustment and all the the tuning machines are stripped. It is a six-string guitar, but right now it only has one seriously out of tune string. Even though it has many problems I'm still very interested in it, I can't find any info on Lero guitars so any help would make my day nicer, farewell.

Hello. My friend's dad Sam has an old Lero guitar that was given to him a long time ago. It's a decent looking guitar with a sunburst paintjob. It has retro looking pickguard that I think is a tortise shell pickguard. The guitar has a whammy bar that Neil lost somehow. and it has two knobs and two switches for tone I think. Neil's dad doesn't know if the electronics still work though. the neck needs some adjustment and all the the tuning machines are stripped. It is a six-string guitar, but right now it only has one seriously out of tune string. Even though it has many problems I'm still very interested in it, I can't find any info on Lero guitars so any help would make my day nicer, farewell.

I have a Lero Banjo Uke. I received it as a Christmas present in the early 70's. I was already playing guitar and thought "I'll give the uke a try" and asked my folks for a banjo uke. I got one! I believe it was purchased in Amherst, NS. The tag says made in Japan. No S/N. I used to tell folks I played a little banjo and then drag this out. I know, really bad pun.

Acoustic Lero

Hi, I have an acoustic Lero guitar for 35 ys, it sounds well enough, I love it. I dont want to change it.

hey, this is a little old i guess, but i was looking around for Lero guitars becasue i have one, its a acoustic, not sure how old but its not new thats for damn sure.
Anyways, they still exist i guess...maybe ill try to get you a pic
later

i have one, i dont know how old it is, and the bridge is warped, im tryin got find a new bridge but the guitar is a smaller size than regular so its hard to find the bridge that small. Wheres that piture of one by the way?

yeah man, i have one, though its not a dreadnought. lol, in fact i think to my knowlege (as i've just researched) that you might have a few thousand dollars worth of an antique there.

all i can say is just research. sorry i wasnt of that much help. :)

I do have a Lero that was passed on to me from my late grandfather ... he was from NB so maybe they come from the maritimes ..??? im not sure about anyhting all I know isd its an acoustic w/ roses on it and looks like fire .. its a nice guitar but needs work on the sound .

I have a Lero I bought for $100 25 years ago. It was originally a cream colour, Fender Telecaster style. It had cheap pickups, cheap bridge and cheap heads. I sanded it down, repaited it ala Van Halen design, drop in a whammy bar bridge, a Dimarzio super distortion pick up, replaced the tone and volume controls, soldiered the tone and volume toghether using a capicitor and it sounds real wicked. I spent about $100 as all parts were used. Not bad.
The guitars were made in Japan. I stille have the back plate with a little gold 'Made in Japan' sticker on it.
Good guitars for a starter when the were around.

:
: I have a Lero I bought for $100, 30 years ago(around '75). It was originally a cream colour, Fender Telecaster style. It had cheap pickups, cheap bridge and cheap heads. I sanded it down, repainted it ala Van Halen design, drop in a whammy bar bridge, a Dimarzio super distortion pick up, replaced the tone and volume controls, soldiered the tone and volume together using a capicitor and it sounds real wicked. I spent about $100 as all parts were used. Not bad.
: The guitars were made in Japan. I still have the back plate with a little gold 'Made in Japan' sticker on it.
: Good guitars for a starter when the were around.

I do have a Lero that was passed on to me from my late grandfather ... he was from NB so maybe they come from the maritimes ..??? im not sure about anyhting all I know isd its an acoustic w/ roses on it and looks like fire .. its a nice guitar but needs work on the sound .

Greetings!I'm currently fixing a Lero electric guitar for a friend. It is approximately 35 years old and is in decent condition. It needs new tuning keys, a new pod for the tone knob, a new jack, etc. it looks very retro and is a dark sunburst color. It has a very thick neck, a bridge you can twist manualy to change the action and the oldest whammy system I have ever seen. Serves like a primitive spring version of a floyd rose. The tone isn't bad and there is two pickup switches to turn each of the single coils off or on (resembles that of a hoffner bass). When fixed i presume it will be a great little guitar and if not, I can smash it on stage!

: Greetings!I'm currently fixing a Lero electric guitar for a friend. It is approximately 35 years old and is in decent condition. It needs new tuning keys, a new pod for the tone knob, a new jack, etc. it looks very retro and is a dark sunburst color. It has a very thick neck, a bridge you can twist manualy to change the action and the oldest whammy system I have ever seen. Serves like a primitive spring version of a floyd rose. The tone isn't bad and there is two pickup switches to turn each of the single coils off or on (resembles that of a hoffner bass). When fixed i presume it will be a great little guitar and if not, I can smash it on stage!

Hi There!
Your description of your friends guitar you're fixing sounds strangely familiar to me. Today I just purchased a Lero guitar for 10 bucks out of the Buy and Sell in Winnipeg. Dark sunburst, a manually twistable bridge, two pick-up switches and yup the weird whammy system too. My model is a hollowbody, in fact thats the only reason I purchased it. The things is I dont know where this guitar was stored for the last 25 years or so...but it actually smells! Do you have any pics of the guitar you're working on? I'd love to see them....what are the chances of twoo of these smelly guitars surviving all these years?
Thanks.
JMS Winnipeg Manitoba

: : Greetings!I'm currently fixing a Lero electric guitar for a friend. It is approximately 35 years old and is in decent condition. It needs new tuning keys, a new pod for the tone knob, a new jack, etc. it looks very retro and is a dark sunburst color. It has a very thick neck, a bridge you can twist manualy to change the action and the oldest whammy system I have ever seen. Serves like a primitive spring version of a floyd rose. The tone isn't bad and there is two pickup switches to turn each of the single coils off or on (resembles that of a hoffner bass). When fixed i presume it will be a great little guitar and if not, I can smash it on stage!

: Hi There!
: Your description of your friends guitar you're fixing sounds strangely familiar to me. Today I just purchased a Lero guitar for 10 bucks out of the Buy and Sell in Winnipeg. Dark sunburst, a manually twistable bridge, two pick-up switches and yup the weird whammy system too. My model is a hollowbody, in fact thats the only reason I purchased it. The things is I dont know where this guitar was stored for the last 25 years or so...but it actually smells! Do you have any pics of the guitar you're working on? I'd love to see them....what are the chances of twoo of these smelly guitars surviving all these years?
: Thanks.
: JMS Winnipeg Manitoba

I have a Lero guitare who has the same specifications as yours, the {primitive}whammy system is actually a bigsby bridge. mine is in perfect condition, I am currently putting a nut cause mine was missing. it's a hollow body electric guitar and it sounds great.

: : Greetings!I'm currently fixing a Lero electric guitar for a friend. It is approximately 35 years old and is in decent condition. It needs new tuning keys, a new pod for the tone knob, a new jack, etc. it looks very retro and is a dark sunburst color. It has a very thick neck, a bridge you can twist manualy to change the action and the oldest whammy system I have ever seen. Serves like a primitive spring version of a floyd rose. The tone isn't bad and there is two pickup switches to turn each of the single coils off or on (resembles that of a hoffner bass). When fixed i presume it will be a great little guitar and if not, I can smash it on stage!

: Your description of your friends guitar you're fixing sounds strangely familiar to me. Today I just purchased a Lero guitar for 10 bucks out of the Buy and Sell in Winnipeg. Dark sunburst, a manually twistable bridge, two pick-up switches and yup the weird whammy system too. My model is a hollowbody, in fact thats the only reason I purchased it. The things is I dont know where this guitar was stored for the last 25 years or so...but it actually smells! Do you have any pics of the guitar you're working on? I'd love to see them....what are the chances of twoo of these smelly guitars surviving all these years?

i just got the same electric guitar with 2 tone knobs and 2 volume knobs and 2 pickup switches and the old time whammy bar too i got if from my gramma and i dont know how old it is. could u send me a picture of yours

Small Lero acoustic

My son (not a guitar player) bought a little acoustic guitar for my granddaughter. It won't tune up and I realized the original bottom bridge is gone, and someone just shoved a piece of wood under the strings, they are attached with a metal piece screwed to the bottom of the instrument.
I went online to see if I could get parts, but apparently not, from what I hear here. I'd like to fix it, but I guess I'm on my own.

hay i have a tele copy lero just about 2 test drive it
if either of u want to sell conract me NO gutar deserves to be smashed no matter how desperate u may be let your playing b what they take home not the unnecessary death of some kids future

I have just fixed a semi-hollow double cutaway red Léro. It looks pretty good and it doesn't sound so bad since I've plugged it in my digitech multistation. I'm trying to find out more about the guitar and the company that makes them other that they made in Japan(or at least that's where they were made some 40 years ago). Any information will be welcomed.

: Hello I'm just trying to fix up my very first guitar.. It's a Lero.. I'm just wondering if there is a way to find a new bridge.. Mine was lost years ago if someone could help me it would be great.

: : yo I too have a lero guitar that fits exactlly to how you described yours. It was my moms from when my grandfather bought it for her in the 70's if you have any pics of this guitar plz email them too me i belive theres three of these guitars left!!

Hey there. I am trying to find out the worth of a lero electric guitar. My boyfriend just found one in my parents house. It is a basic model with amp. It does have the sunburst design also. But no bells and whistles. He replaced the strings and it sounds awesome, but it doesn't want to stay in tune. Sounds like he might have to replace the tuning knobs also. Would anyone know the worth of a Lero Guitar. We figure it dates back to the mid 70's. And is in excellent condition.

i also found a lero guitar. i bauth it from a friend of mine for 10 bucks. it was in really bad shape and i'm trying to fix it up. it sounds like the one up there that he is talking about, same bridge, wammy bar, etc etc.. but mine has no original paint left on it, it was painted yellow from top to bottom. what i'd like to know is what the original paint looked like, a picture of it would be VERY aprechiated. i have pictures of mine so if anyone wants to take a look i took a bunch in detail (screws, pichups, full guitar, bridge, etc...) the neck is the part thats in the worst shape and need alto of repair but it's holding togother real good, it's just that the guy who tried to fix it last time put glue from a gluegun in it. anyways, if anyone has a pciture for me PLZ EMAIL ME WITH INFO. matliolec@hotmail.com

Hi,
I have a Lero Stratocaster copy that I got about 26 years ago and it was already about 10 yrs old. It's light woodgrain with a black pickguard and needs a new jack and switches as all you hear is buzzing and static. But the touch is great and it's a fun guitar to play and still looks GREAT! It was my first electric guitar, and it's worth getting fixed.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.