Re: S. Yairi guitar

Advertisement
Posted by yairi_luvr on Thu, 07/30/09 - 06:36:26.

: : I recently purchased a classical S. Yairi guitar, produced in 1969 in the Nagoya Japan shop. Inside the body is a label which reads, "Handcrafted in Japan by Yairi, model no. 600, ad 1969, serial no. 127 (or 121) and on the bracing is branded "Yairi Gakki, Nagoya." any information on this luthier, the guitar, value range, etc would be most appreciated. I purchased it at a used instrument store in Michigan, and the owner believed it to be a K. Yairi/Alvarez guitar, and I am sure based his price accordingly. I paid $400 (less trade in). I have confirmed through e-mails to Japan that it is not K. Yairi, but rather an S. Yairi.

: Sadao Yairi. Maker of classical and steel string accoustics - the classical models seem to have been excellent student models. Operated (as far as I can tell) a factory from the 60's through to the early 80's. There appear to be more recent steel string (Martin copies?) produced and sold in Japan, though. My partner's model 700 is better than any of the current student guitars I've tried in a search of my own. The 600 is a hand made instrument and should be of the same order. The luthier (probably not Yairi himself) may have signed the underside of the soundboard in the traditional manner.
: The S.Yairi concern also built the first Lowden accoustics until the factory in N.Ireland was set up.

Info on Sadao Yairi here:
http://yairiguitars.spaces.live.com/

Questions?
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Alvarez_AlvarezYairi_plus/

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.