Ry Cooder Tone?

Posted by Alan on Fri, 01/26/01 - 18:11:20.

I need to get that special tone that Ry Cooder gets from his Stratocaster on his 70s & 80s albums. Strings, amps, effects? Ideas please.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Ry Cooder Tone?

: I need to get that special tone that Ry Cooder gets from his Stratocaster on his 70s & 80s albums. Strings, amps, effects? Ideas please.

I have a recent 30 watt Peavey (with the reverb and tremolo rolled off) with a 15" speaker. It's warm and chords—or parts of chords—sound sweet when pinched by bare fingers. Flatwound strings and an analog chorus and a scant amount of compression comes close to Cooder's "Showtime" album to my ear. But to really pick up on the vibe one probably has to move to Southern California and eat a lot of bulgar. salad

try medium high action, fairly heavy strings/ bare fingers-Ry doesn't believe in picks. I would also check out various small amps-magnatone,gibson GA20- it seems I remember him mentioning that one in an interview.

try medium high action, fairly heavy strings/ bare fingers-Ry doesn't believe in picks. I would also check out various small amps-magnatone,gibson GA20- it seems I remember him mentioning that one in an interview.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.