Suzuki F-120

Posted by Pieter Huese on Wed, 09/11/02 - 03:28:29.

I've been long searching to find something about Suzuki guitars; this is the only site I came upon,so far. I own a Suzuki Three's F-120 acoustic;it's a Martin D-28 look-alike,with a v-shaped neck and a laminated spruce top,it sounds great. I bought it in 1976 in a specialized music shop in Groningen/Holland, for about $150. I recently equipped it with a EMG piezo pick-up element under the saddle, and played it amplified over a Yorkville A-100. You won't believe your ears. My two "playmates" play an expensive Takemine and a nice Yamaha cut-away; I would not trade my F-120 against both of them. I wonder if the Suzuki Three's company/Nagoya still exists, if there is any paper evidence left of the range of guitars they ever produced. The only guitar with a sound that comes in close to mine is a Seagull S6, warm and mellow, but expensive in holland.
Like to hear from you all.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Suzuki F-200 beauty

I have just come across a Suzuki F-200 that is like new condition. It was purchased as a gift for a family member who didnt play guitar,... and never learned so the guitar sat TOTALLY unused. There is not evev one pic mark on the guard. No scratches anywhere and original foam wrap that the guitar was wrapped in froim the factory.
It sounds amazing and looks even better. My friend has an ovation, a Martin, and several yamahas. He thinks the guitar is 40+years old.
Also he would testify that this suzuki plays, sounds, and has an action that is beyond compare. He tries to buy it off me everytine we get together and jam. I have not used the guitar other than to test it and put on new strings. I have seen this model sell for upwards of $400-$500 us dollars in mediocre to beat up condition.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what it is worth, age, and materials used in construction.
Not that I am selling this beauty... just curious.
Thanks
Wade

Suzuki threes F120 from 1970es information and value...

History facts...
The Suzuki Violin factory began with guitar making with great success in period after the WWII
The US forces were in that period in control of whole Japan
The Martin factory from the US made contacts and began producing guitars in many instrument making companies in whole Japan, most of those companies were with cheap labour, but as the whole world knows japanese people are fanatics, they began making instruments better then the Martin itself, some of the best japan guitar makers, true masters in the guitar making were sent to Martin factories in America to improve sound of guitars there as well, then in late 60' US was almost completely out from Japan, what left was factories making amazing guitars with cheaper prices...Realizing this fact American brands Martin and Gibson, as many began with Lawsuit those companies, this was never proved but the truth is that this was happening in 12 year period up to early 80'(1970'- 1982')
For guitar collectors this is known fact, and some of the brands like Terada, Suzuki, Aspen, Yamaha, Takamine, Greco, and many other brands from Japan Law suit era have now great value...
This guitar Suzuki threes F120 in good condition from the period until 1982. has value from 300-500 US $
Some of them have great sound, even better then the original Martin D-28 from that period, but you can not will not, have the same value as Martin in money, not now not ever, because this is only a copy, and not the original...
the truth is that basic difference is in quality guarantee, If you buy a guitar from Martin you get what you pay, great guitar with quality guarantee, and copy can be great but it can be a peace of wood, you never know, that is why big brands have bigger value, but in Law suit Era this was not the case, most of guitars had great quality so that is why those guitars from Japan are hard to get and with good value now days...

Suzuki F 120

Just got one to repair, and body fair shape but neck fretboard came off 85% of neck, any suggestions on repair, I am interested to see how it compares in sound with other guitars I own Guild and Gibson JG-O, as I never owned a Martin but love the recorded sounds of Martins.

3s F-120

Hey, I got mye fathers guitar some years ago, and i've always loved it, but it isn't until recently i've found something about it. I had no idea it was as old as it is. But its still in good condition and the sound is amazing. Just got it back after sending it in to change the saddle. I've considered bying a new acoustic now, so i've tried alot of guitars around, but I cant find anything in my pricerange that can compete with the Suzuki, so I think i'll just stick to it and buy a 12-string instead. Please post some links about these guitars if u find something interesting.

Re: Suzuki F-120

: I've been long searching to find something about Suzuki guitars; this is the only site I came upon,so far. I own a Suzuki Three's F-120 acoustic;it's a Martin D-28 look-alike,with a v-shaped neck and a laminated spruce top,it sounds great. I bought it in 1976 in a specialized music shop in Groningen/Holland, for about $150. I recently equipped it with a EMG piezo pick-up element under the saddle, and played it amplified over a Yorkville A-100. You won't believe your ears. My two "playmates" play an expensive Takemine and a nice Yamaha cut-away; I would not trade my F-120 against both of them. I wonder if the Suzuki Three's company/Nagoya still exists, if there is any paper evidence left of the range of guitars they ever produced. The only guitar with a sound that comes in close to mine is a Seagull S6, warm and mellow, but expensive in holland.
: Like to hear from you all.

: : I've been long searching to find something about Suzuki guitars; this is the only site I came upon,so far. I own a Suzuki Three's F-120 acoustic;it's a Martin D-28 look-alike,with a v-shaped neck and a laminated spruce top,it sounds great. I bought it in 1976 in a specialized music shop in Groningen/Holland, for about $150. I recently equipped it with a EMG piezo pick-up element under the saddle, and played it amplified over a Yorkville A-100. You won't believe your ears. My two "playmates" play an expensive Takemine and a nice Yamaha cut-away; I would not trade my F-120 against both of them. I wonder if the Suzuki Three's company/Nagoya still exists, if there is any paper evidence left of the range of guitars they ever produced. The only guitar with a sound that comes in close to mine is a Seagull S6, warm and mellow, but expensive in holland.
: : Like to hear from you all.

I have one that I bought around 1976 in Scotland. It still sounds great and remains almost as new. I have never had any problems with it. Martin Booth did a number on it a few years ago and brought it back to new. Mind you I have no idea of the type jst that it is a Martin copy.

Regards

I have a F-120 suzuki threes too.
It has been bought by my brother in the 70's.
I fully agree with your feeling, it sound really good according to its low price.
The only weak side is the mecanics .
I am currently searching informations about this guitar (details about wood ....etc)
if you have some infos thank you to forward it to me.

I got a Suzuki F-200 that I got from a neighbor.
He's had it in his garage for 10 years! When I opened the case, I expected the worst. But to my surprise, everything looked intact. The neck was straight as an arrow, and it was still in tune, after 10 years in a non-heated garage in Colorado! This is the best acoustic guitar that I've ever owned.

: I have a F-120 suzuki threes too.
: It has been bought by my brother in the 70's.
: I fully agree with your feeling, it sound really good according to its low price.
: The only weak side is the mecanics .
: I am currently searching informations about this guitar (details about wood ....etc)
: if you have some infos thank you to forward it to me.

Yo! fun...
i like it :)
John
<a href="http://www.toshain.com">painting</a>

Hey there,

Suzuki is still making guitars and they are highly praised from what I am hearing. Check out their website at:
http://www.suzukimusic.com/guitars/
I am also looking for information on older Suzuki guitars and it is next to impossible to find anything. If I find a site, I will post here.

Maybe if you find a music store that carries Suzukis, you can get a number for a factory rep who might know something...

: I've been long searching to find something about Suzuki guitars; this is the only site I came upon,so far. I own a Suzuki Three's F-120 acoustic;it's a Martin D-28 look-alike,with a v-shaped neck and a laminated spruce top,it sounds great. I bought it in 1976 in a specialized music shop in Groningen/Holland, for about $150. I recently equipped it with a EMG piezo pick-up element under the saddle, and played it amplified over a Yorkville A-100. You won't believe your ears. My two "playmates" play an expensive Takemine and a nice Yamaha cut-away; I would not trade my F-120 against both of them. I wonder if the Suzuki Three's company/Nagoya still exists, if there is any paper evidence left of the range of guitars they ever produced. The only guitar with a sound that comes in close to mine is a Seagull S6, warm and mellow, but expensive in holland.

Hi,

I too own an suzuki three's f-120. It was bought around 1980 for about 150euros or so (in Belgium). The sound is amazing! It sounds like a high-end model. I am also very interested in acquiering other suzuki models. A antique-knower I know told me the suzuki babies where semi-hand made. And because nowbody wanted an jap instrument at the time, they were sold really cheap.

Greetz,
dorienhs@yahoo.com

: Hey there,

: Suzuki is still making guitars and they are highly praised from what I am hearing. Check out their website at:
: http://www.suzukimusic.com/guitars/
: I am also looking for information on older Suzuki guitars and it is next to impossible to find anything. If I find a site, I will post here.

: Maybe if you find a music store that carries Suzukis, you can get a number for a factory rep who might know something...

: : I've been long searching to find something about Suzuki guitars; this is the only site I came upon,so far. I own a Suzuki Three's F-120 acoustic;it's a Martin D-28 look-alike,with a v-shaped neck and a laminated spruce top,it sounds great. I bought it in 1976 in a specialized music shop in Groningen/Holland, for about $150. I recently equipped it with a EMG piezo pick-up element under the saddle, and played it amplified over a Yorkville A-100. You won't believe your ears. My two "playmates" play an expensive Takemine and a nice Yamaha cut-away; I would not trade my F-120 against both of them. I wonder if the Suzuki Three's company/Nagoya still exists, if there is any paper evidence left of the range of guitars they ever produced. The only guitar with a sound that comes in close to mine is a Seagull S6, warm and mellow, but expensive in holland.

F-90 acoustic guitar information

: Hey there,

: Suzuki is still making guitars and they are highly praised from what I am hearing. Check out their website at:
: http://www.suzukimusic.com/guitars/
: I am also looking for information on older Suzuki guitars and it is next to impossible to find anything. If I find a site, I will post here.

: Maybe if you find a music store that carries Suzukis, you can get a number for a factory rep who might know something...

Please let me know if you find something!! I was recently GIVEN a Suzuki F200 by my manager. Someone gave it to him in 1979. Near as we can figure, its a Martin D42 knock off. I love it so far. Also, my step-brother has a Nagoya guitar that is great! I'd love to find out more about both of these gems.

Thanks,

Brent

: Please let me know if you find something!! I was recently GIVEN a Suzuki F200 by my manager. Someone gave it to him in 1979. Near as we can figure, its a Martin D42 knock off. I love it so far. Also, my step-brother has a Nagoya guitar that is great! I'd love to find out more about both of these gems.

: Thanks,

: Brent

:Brent, I used to own a Nagoya. They were sold by a music dealer in the Washington, DC are called Veneman Music. Excellent sound. My first guitar. Gave it to someone to fix the tuning pegs and never got it back. My friend has a 12 string. We each bought our guitars from Venemans in the early 1970's. Would love to find one again. Phil

Re: Suzuki F-120/ SD 335N

Glad to hear about kindred spirits out there. I have a Suzuki SD-335 that I absolutely love, despite also having an EN-10 and a real old D-20. I don't think mine is worth all that much but the sound and playability is second to none. Love to know if there's a site about Suzuki guitars.
Cheers.
Bren, Dublin, Ireland.
: : Please let me know if you find something!! I was recently GIVEN a Suzuki F200 by my manager. Someone gave it to him in 1979. Near as we can figure, its a Martin D42 knock off. I love it so far. Also, my step-brother has a Nagoya guitar that is great! I'd love to find out more about both of these gems.

: : Thanks,

: : Brent

: : : I've been long searching to find something about Suzuki guitars; this is the only site I came upon,so far. I own a Suzuki Three's F-120 acoustic;it's a Martin D-28 look-alike,with a v-shaped neck and a laminated spruce top,it sounds great. I bought it in 1976 in a specialized music shop in Groningen/Holland, for about $150. I recently equipped it with a EMG piezo pick-up element under the saddle, and played it amplified over a Yorkville A-100. You won't believe your ears. My two "playmates" play an expensive Takemine and a nice Yamaha cut-away; I would not trade my F-120 against both of them. I wonder if the Suzuki Three's company/Nagoya still exists, if there is any paper evidence left of the range of guitars they ever produced. The only guitar with a sound that comes in close to mine is a Seagull S6, warm and mellow, but expensive in holland.
: : : Like to hear from you all.
: :Brent, I used to own a Nagoya. They were sold by a music dealer in the Washington, DC are called Veneman Music. Excellent sound. My first guitar. Gave it to someone to fix the tuning pegs and never got it back. My friend has a 12 string. We each bought our guitars from Venemans in the early 1970's. Would love to find one again. Phil

suzuki guitar tuning pegs

Hello, I found this web site and well this is great, I own a suzuki sd312 - 12 string guitar and I hoping that someone will be able to help me. I'm looking for a tuning peg (machine head) one broke and would like to keep the guitar original.
These are closed back type, if you know were or someone that might have them, I would be grateful.
Thank You All,
Sabino

I have played many guitars, But for my 13th birthday my great uncle gave me a Suzuki F-200 and it is by far my favorite guitar. I have put brass "tone pegs" in it and it is great. by far my favorite guitar. if you have any information on these guitars please feel free to email me.
isaacm2012@gmail.com

I just acquired a suzuki sd335, and am searching for the info about this... its a litte beat, some scatches, lifting bridge, but other than that, well built... anywhere I can look up the serial number??? thanks!

: Glad to hear about kindred spirits out there. I have a Suzuki SD-335 that I absolutely love, despite also having an EN-10 and a real old D-20. I don't think mine is worth all that much but the sound and playability is second to none. Love to know if there's a site about Suzuki guitars.
: Cheers.
: Bren, Dublin, Ireland.
: : : Please let me know if you find something!! I was recently GIVEN a Suzuki F200 by my manager. Someone gave it to him in 1979. Near as we can figure, its a Martin D42 knock off. I love it so far. Also, my step-brother has a Nagoya guitar that is great! I'd love to find out more about both of these gems.

: : : Thanks,

: : : Brent

: : : : I've been long searching to find something about Suzuki guitars; this is the only site I came upon,so far. I own a Suzuki Three's F-120 acoustic;it's a Martin D-28 look-alike,with a v-shaped neck and a laminated spruce top,it sounds great. I bought it in 1976 in a specialized music shop in Groningen/Holland, for about $150. I recently equipped it with a EMG piezo pick-up element under the saddle, and played it amplified over a Yorkville A-100. You won't believe your ears. My two "playmates" play an expensive Takemine and a nice Yamaha cut-away; I would not trade my F-120 against both of them. I wonder if the Suzuki Three's company/Nagoya still exists, if there is any paper evidence left of the range of guitars they ever produced. The only guitar with a sound that comes in close to mine is a Seagull S6, warm and mellow, but expensive in holland.
: : : : Like to hear from you all.
: : :Brent, I used to own a Nagoya. They were sold by a music dealer in the Washington, DC are called Veneman Music. Excellent sound. My first guitar. Gave it to someone to fix the tuning pegs and never got it back. My friend has a 12 string. We each bought our guitars from Venemans in the early 1970's. Would love to find one again. Phil

Awsome
I have a susuki 3s F120 got it from my dad and since have bought that same seagull s6 for the sound quality.

looking for some stuff on the interenet found a few things about them makeing gituars in the 60's and 70's but seem to have disapeared since maby the walmart version that never took off

Love my susuki

glad there are some with the same tastes

I have found A suzuki F-120 double string guitar just laying on the ground so I took it home I dont know how it sounds cause I need new strings and I have no money left cause I just bought my new electric guitar but I am a 16 year old boy living in holland and Im obsest of guitars so I will treat every guitar nice if I have new money I will buy new strings and play nice songs on it

my question is what is the guitar worth?

Re: Suzuki F-250 - 12 string

I have a Suzuki F-250 12 string that has been "on loan" to me a nearly a year. I love the way it sounds and plays. does anyone know how much they are worth - so I can give the owner a reasonable offer to buy it from him - I do not want to part with it. There is something about..

Re: Nagoya Suzuki SD380

Hello anyone and everyone. I have just purchased a mint Nagoya Suzuki SD380 with factory fitted ARTEC HT-MC Piezo+ Microphone Blender EQ. It will be of interest and support some of the comments if I tell you I traded in a Taylor 310, 2002 model, fitted 6months ago with a Fishman Matrix for a couple of guitars. This Suzuki and a Simon and Patrick S&P Parlor. In my opinion the Suzuki could pass for a high-end Martin in appearance, and sounds like a cross between a Martin D and a Gibson (Kalamazoo)D45. Lots of ring and a woody quality that you would associate with 50's American guitars. I reckon some Japanese technicians have really measured every detail in this Guitar to produce such a remarkable instrument. I would not swap this guitar for any Taylor I've heard or played. The Korean and Chinese guitars look nice... this Japanese guitar looks superb but more importantly, plays to a professional audience grabbing standard.

PS Yes, I know my name's Robert Taylor and, I hasten to add Taylor guitars are excellent but, I'm not he, I'm ME! Spangler Arlington Brough (aka Robert Taylor - Film star) ensured a lot of "Baby Taylors" made in the 50's were called Robert!

Re: Nagoya Suzuki SD380

Hello anyone and everyone. I have just purchased a mint Nagoya Suzuki SD380 with factory fitted ARTEC HT-MC Piezo+ Microphone Blender EQ. It will be of interest and support some of the comments if I tell you I traded in a Taylor 310, 2002 model, fitted 6months ago with a Fishman Matrix for a couple of guitars. This Suzuki and a Simon and Patrick S&P Parlor. In my opinion the Suzuki could pass for a high-end Martin in appearance, and sounds like a cross between a Martin D and a Gibson (Kalamazoo)D45. Lots of ring and a woody quality that you would associate with 50's American guitars. I reckon some Japanese technicians have really measured every detail in this Guitar to produce such a remarkable instrument. I would not swap this guitar for any Taylor I've heard or played. The Korean and Chinese guitars look nice... this Japanese guitar looks superb but more importantly, plays to a professional audience grabbing standard.

: Glad to hear about kindred spirits out there. I have a Suzuki SD-335 that I absolutely love, despite also having an EN-10 and a real old D-20. I don't think mine is worth all that much but the sound and playability is second to none. Love to know if there's a site about Suzuki guitars.
: : : Please let me know if you find something!! I was recently GIVEN a Suzuki F200 by my manager. Someone gave it to him in 1979. Near as we can figure, its a Martin D42 knock off. I love it so far. Also, my step-brother has a Nagoya guitar that is great! I'd love to find out more about both of these gems.

: : : : I've been long searching to find something about Suzuki guitars; this is the only site I came upon,so far. I own a Suzuki Three's F-120 acoustic;it's a Martin D-28 look-alike,with a v-shaped neck and a laminated spruce top,it sounds great. I bought it in 1976 in a specialized music shop in Groningen/Holland, for about $150. I recently equipped it with a EMG piezo pick-up element under the saddle, and played it amplified over a Yorkville A-100. You won't believe your ears. My two "playmates" play an expensive Takemine and a nice Yamaha cut-away; I would not trade my F-120 against both of them. I wonder if the Suzuki Three's company/Nagoya still exists, if there is any paper evidence left of the range of guitars they ever produced. The only guitar with a sound that comes in close to mine is a Seagull S6, warm and mellow, but expensive in holland.
: : :Brent, I used to own a Nagoya. They were sold by a music dealer in the Washington, DC are called Veneman Music. Excellent sound. My first guitar. Gave it to someone to fix the tuning pegs and never got it back. My friend has a 12 string. We each bought our guitars from Venemans in the early 1970's. Would love to find one again. Phil

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows the worth of a mint condition suzuki F120 guitar? I can't seem to find out anything specific about them, or when it was made, the story behind them, etc. I have one and would like any info, especially value, possible history. Thanks

Hi fellow-Suzukes! Just found an F200 in great shape in Berkelely CA. Looks like a fancy D28 and sounds like HEAVEN. What luck. There's a couple of scratches on the top, (solid spruce), but they don't bother me when I play it. Balanced, beautifully intonated, and warm. I had a D28 made in '63, but it didn't sound this good. : Glad to hear about kindred spirits out there. I have a Suzuki SD-335 that I absolutely love, despite also having an EN-10 and a real old D-20. I don't think mine is worth all that much but the sound and playability is second to none. Love to know if there's a site about Suzuki guitars.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.