Re: Montaya guitar

Advertisement
Posted by JoAnn from New York USA on Tue, 04/19/05 - 06:02:04.

: I see 3 people including myself have these montaya,s and noone knows anything about them,my label inside does state that it was made at the Hyosung Corp. Made in Korea,also its a model D-51,almost looks like an acoustic gibson dove copy..can anyone advise me of this and maybe what the price of this was?? Thanx ..dale ...:0

Hi Dale,
I just did a search and found this message board.
My husband is ready to throw out our unstringed Montaya Acoustic Guitar made in Korea , Model # 145
I wouldn't let him , as my Uncle played this for years and it has been past down to my sister and my son. My son just bought a new Guitar. If anyone caould provide information on this Guitar, it would be greatly appreciated. I figure if my 77 year old uncle played it, It has to be at least 40-50 years old. I'd like to know a bit about it, for no other reason than it's a family gem. Great sounding Acoustic.
Thank you,
JoAnn

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

montaya guitar- stratocaster

I too have a montaya guitar, I beleave its a late 1970's law suit era stratocaster. I would also like to know a little more about my guitar. I thought it was japanese. when it was given to me 27 years ago it was in rough shape. 1 pick up 2 pots and the input jack was all that was left of the electronics, the neck needed some work and the tremolo bridge was bad. 48th street custom guitars in NYC. repaired and set this up for me. new Semore Duncan pick-ups, new pots and switch in a new 9 hole pick plate. the body was a cleared hard wood body that would be painted black with an all maple neck. the body is an almost exact replica of my American srtat. size and shape. My montaya is a killer guitar. Im considering putting my guitar up flor auction, but have no idea of its resale value. does any one really know. please l

Montoya D-51

-Just chasing info across the web - I got my Montoya as a gift, while in a local Orlando, FL hospital. My wife bought it new at the gift shop there.
The D-51 from Korea...I got it in July 1986. My favorite of all my elec's. and acoustics.

Montaya FR42 accoustic guitar

I bought a used Montaya FR42 accoustic guitar around 1981ish... I believe that I payed $65.00 for it from a music store, not a yard sale or flea market. I thought I would teach myself how to play but I wasn't able to get very far, and I didn't have money for lessons.

My musician boyfriend dragged it out of it's case today (October, 2012) for a look-see and was surprised as to how well it played after being in the case for over a decade!! He says it's plays better than his. (Not sure which of the 3 he has that he means, or if he means all three.)

Don't want to sell it but was curious and from what I could find out online, it's only worth about $60.00 to $100.00, though everyone that plays one raves about the sound that is comparable to a guitar worth 5 times as much. Since you won't get much for it, unless you really need the money or have nobody that is interested in playing it, I'd hang onto it in case the value goes up once everyone realizes how well they play and they become in demand.

Happy strumming!!!

Montaya Guitar

Hi,

I have a Montaya (Model No. F-29) Acoustic Guitar from the Hyosuns Corp. It's about 40 + years old and in excellent condition. Can anyone tell me the value?

Thanks

Montaya Md# 145. 46 years old

My father gave me his guitar that he bought before he went into the Navy when he was 22. That was in 1977. He said he bought it from one his friends who had had it since he was 10 which would make the guitar to be 46 years old. It has the nicest sound I have ever heard come from an acoustic guitar. It has one ding on the bottom side at the edge where it was dropped and some of the tuning nuts have been pushed up but other than that it looks just fine.

I always put fresh coated strings on it every 3 months or so (probably cause i play too much) and I oil the neck every 6 months. I have never adjusted the bridge or the neck rod. Just left them in place since I got it.

As many of you, I don't know a single thing about Montaya guitars. My father had never heard of the company either when he bought that guitar. Obviously, these guitars are one of a kind if you have one and should be cherished and kept in good condition.

Being 46 years old, the wood of the guitar has aged, shifted, curved, heated and cooled over and over again. It really brings out the softness of the wood which gives off an easier deeper tone to the guitar. No doubt Montaya guitars were known for their amazing sounding guitars.

If you are tired of having the old guitar around since no one can play it, it would be worth your while to find someone who would gladly except the guitar for a good price and not sell it on eBay for $100 or less. These guitars are priceless! I will always keep this guitar and eventually give it to someone who also respects it and wants to keep it tuned up as it ages and keeps on sounding better and better and better.

Montoya Model: SJ-975

I recently bought a Montoya Model SJ-975 at a flea market in Hillsville Virginia for $40 dollars with shitty case and instructional dvd and booklet included. Excellent condition guitar, no dings at all, great finish and plastic still under the pick-guard! It plays very great and I also believe it resembles the D-45 Gibson. But, I also know nothing historically and cant find anything on the web about it either. Hoping to learn more along with you guys.

PS. Putting up pics in a few days if i can remember to take some and get back on.

well i do to but they realy play good i wamted to know some things about an odessa

tengo una montaya modelo 929 estoy buscando informacion de ella lleva mucho tiempo en mi familia y es hermosa y su sonido es espectacular ayudenme quiero saber si vale la pena restaurarla gracias att. EVELYN MATOS RODRIGUEZ
POS. VIVO EN P.R.

I've just been given a Montaya guitar in pretty bad shape but it took only one day to get it back to normal, Hyosung corporation and while the model nuberhas faded i haveprobably the clearest number but, try to find the hyosung corporation. As I repair these items regularly I have a old item that still makes good music, but like You have no history for it, But I get lucky alot on a search if I find something I will return

Montaya guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Montaya guitar

: : I see 3 people including myself have these montaya,s and noone knows anything about them,my label inside does state that it was made at the Hyosung Corp. Made in Korea,also its a model D-51,almost looks like an acoustic gibson dove copy..can anyone advise me of this and maybe what the price of this was?? Thanx ..dale ...:0

: Hi Dale,
: I just did a search and found this message board.
: My husband is ready to throw out our unstringed Montaya Acoustic Guitar made in Korea , Model # 145
: I wouldn't let him , as my Uncle played this for years and it has been past down to my sister and my son. My son just bought a new Guitar. If anyone caould provide information on this Guitar, it would be greatly appreciated. I figure if my 77 year old uncle played it, It has to be at least 40-50 years old. I'd like to know a bit about it, for no other reason than it's a family gem. Great sounding Acoustic.
: Thank you,
: JoAnn

Montaya accoustics by Hyosung Corp. Korea

Was a survivor of the 70's lawsuites of Fender, Gibson and Gretch guitar companies ended in the 90's. Had very good sales on their dread naughts which do mimic both Fender and Gibson the most. Hand sprayed finishes and pretty nice action necks. they were sold by small shops and large retailers on "specials" around 1990 they were a $49.99 starters and even give aways for $20 with a regular guitar the shops were advertising. they have a 12.5 " Tenor Bout and a 15 " bass Bout. Stationary bridges -- some with ajustible Saddle screws. saddles and Nut were made of a platic or synthetic and held up reasonably well.A quick upgrade is good strings --Nickel wound Martin's and switch out Nut and Saddles with bone.. thats about it...Play and be happy...tommy

: : : I see 3 people including myself have these montaya,s and noone knows anything about them,my label inside does state that it was made at the Hyosung Corp. Made in Korea,also its a model D-51,almost looks like an acoustic gibson dove copy..can anyone advise me of this and maybe what the price of this was?? Thanx ..dale ...:0

: : Hi Dale,
: : I just did a search and found this message board.
: : My husband is ready to throw out our unstringed Montaya Acoustic Guitar made in Korea , Model # 145
: : I wouldn't let him , as my Uncle played this for years and it has been past down to my sister and my son. My son just bought a new Guitar. If anyone caould provide information on this Guitar, it would be greatly appreciated. I figure if my 77 year old uncle played it, It has to be at least 40-50 years old. I'd like to know a bit about it, for no other reason than it's a family gem. Great sounding Acoustic.
: : Thank you,
: : JoAnn
I bought my Montaya 145 in the summer of '83 and have played it every day since.Sounds great and after I cut down the saddle to lower the action and replaced the tuners with Grovers she plays great.

I bought my Montaya SJ-971 some 25 years ago from a very good friend. I paid only $60 dollars for it, but wouldn't sell it for a million, it has meant that much to me. It is kind of rough; it has had a 1/4 inch hole near the bridge since long before I bought it and my nephew broke the head off, which I repaired more than 17 years ago... It still plays beautifully. The only things I might change are the tuning machines and the plastic nut. I have no idea when or where this model was made, there is no indication on the label inside.I would like to know about its history like others on this string.

: : I see 3 people including myself have these montaya,s and noone knows anything about them,my label inside does state that it was made at the Hyosung Corp. Made in Korea,also its a model D-51,almost looks like an acoustic gibson dove copy..can anyone advise me of this and maybe what the price of this was?? Thanx ..dale ...:0
Hello, this is Gamze ,would like more information in regards to this guitar' or guitars. Sincerely Gamze
: Hi Dale,
: I just did a search and found this message board.
: My husband is ready to throw out our unstringed Montaya Acoustic Guitar made in Korea , Model # 145
: I wouldn't let him , as my Uncle played this for years and it has been past down to my sister and my son. My son just bought a new Guitar. If anyone caould provide information on this Guitar, it would be greatly appreciated. I figure if my 77 year old uncle played it, It has to be at least 40-50 years old. I'd like to know a bit about it, for no other reason than it's a family gem. Great sounding Acoustic.
: Thank you,
: JoAnn

I own a Montaya Les Paul Custom Copy that has 3114 on a sticker on the neckplate and ive also been trying to find info on this guitar but ive just found www.harmonycentral.com and this message board

heyy guys

i also have a Montaya acoustic model 145--got it from my dad who has no clue where he got it from lol---just starting and wanted to know a lil about this mystery guitar, so if you could be so kind as to shoot me an email if you find anything out thaat would be greaat! thanks!!!

I too am trying to find out more about my Montaya model F-15 which we purchased at a second hand store about 5 years ago, so if anyone can tell us more, please let know. Thanx

I have the same model f-15, my wife had it as a gift from her dad about foour or five years ago. It didnt cost to much, I would say no more than 150.00

Montaya F-15

I got a Montaya F-15 for xmas in 1983. My parents owned a music store at that time and I recall clearly that this was a $75 guitar at that time. Mine has been through lots, the finish cracked within the first 5 years I had it and it looks pretty rough now, but I will never get rid of this guitar.

Hey I just had mine fixed up, I had to have it reglued and had to get some things fixed on it. But this guitar still plays like a dream.

I bought a Montaya guitar at a garage sale several years ago. Here is my opinion on it.

I have never been disappointed with the tone or action (playabilty) at all. I have compared it to many acoustic guitars, and found it to be just as robust, and even clearer when I attempt play the higher notes/chords.

If you are ready to sell, let me know, I might be interested.

regorrodb@hotmail.com

I did do one thing however, I put on a set of Ping tuning machines, which I feel was much worth it.

The real bottom line is, "How do you feel when you play it, because every guitar has a life of it's own is looking just as hard who's for the right owner.

Get to know it, if you don't like what it brings to your session, then get rid of it. I'm ready to buy.

Rehgorba

regorrodob@hotmail.com

Montaya guitar

Montaya guitar

Anyone know where to get parts for a monteya 12 string? Like a new saddle and tuning keys. Thanks

: Hello, well, I have read the questions and comments about Montaya model 145 guitars, and I have one that was bought new by a friend of mine in 1983 or 84, at a music shop in Geneseo, New York. I never was too curious about its history, but for a $100.00 guitar with a (cheap) case included, it has played beautiful, and many people who have played expensive guitars have remarked about the fine tone that my guitar has. About 5 years ago, the neck started to separate from the body, and I had it reglued. So recently I started to try to find more about its origins and history. If anyone else has found out more about its manufacturer, etc. please send me an email.

Thanks,

Carol

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.