Emperador Guitars - a brief introduction.

Advertisement
Posted by Jenni on Wed, 11/16/05 - 01:58:26.
In Reply to Korean Guitar page

I own a lovely Emperador acoustic guitar. circa late 1960's. Model No. 1258??. Made in Japan by Jack Westheimer. He also produced the Kingston, Teisco and Cortez brands. Later also the Cort guitars. The Emperadors and Cortez brands were produced by the Hiyashi Factory - later brought out by Pearl in the early 70's. My Emperador is very similar to the Gibson Hummingbird. Still in immaculate condition. Does anyone else have this guitar or similar Emperador? I'd love to get a list together of owners to see just what's still out there and to share any information. Also whether they are of any value now? Apparently the Everly brothers used the Emperador brand and loved them.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Emperador Dreadnot ,

I have a small out of apt repair business. in Miami,Fl , used to be a TV teck. I am 70 years old now and this give me a reason to stay alive. I love what I can do with old guitar amps and guitars. I bought this emperador guitar on ebay because of the fancey pickguard. Its was only $ 25.00 because of high action. I had to grind down the bridge and lower the adjustable saddle. I was empresed with the construction and the sound. It has a label but it just saids hand made. No model of location of production. But who cares. My phone number in south Miami is 305 232 6790 if anyone can give me any info on this guitar. Happy Trails to you all.

Emperador guitars

I have two emperadors, one is a 1964 dreadnaught the other a 1963 "concert" size. (I only know the years because I purchased them from the original owners) Both had the bridges lifting. I repaired them both and to avoid any further bridge issues I put trapeeze tail stocks on both of them. They sound wondefull and I play them pretty much every day.I would not think twice to pick up another one (or more). They are difficult to research but the sound is comparable to any high end acoustic.

keep on strumin'

Emperador Dove

I recently picked up an Emperador copy of a Gibson Dove (not sure if it's Japanese or Korean made), but it seems to be around 30 or 35 years old based on discoloration of the binding, slight splitting in the binding, etc. Other than that, it's in really good condition and has the fancy bridge (adjustable) with the two doves inlaid and split parallelogram inlays on the fretboard. It sounds great and plays great.

Emperador Classical Acoustic Guitars

I have and Emperador Classical Guitar which I bought about 50- 60 years ago. The label just says Emperador Hand made. It has a beautiful tone and I was seeking its value if any one can help.
Ivan.

emperador

Your guitar should have a model number located just inside the sound hole.. If you look deep inside at the base of the neck.. Use a light it will help.

Emperador 12 String guitar

I bought my 12 String guitar when I was stationed in Germany while in the Air Force. The model is F007N, SN # faded out. It is still in great condition. I need the ajustable bridge. The screws are stripped. Can anybody tell me where I can order the parts. Thanks in advance, Fred

Emparador, 12 string electric Accoustic Guitar

Received this beautiful Emparador 12 string electric accoustic guitar on my Birthday 45 years ago , mint shape , best sound ever.
Tried many others and none can match the sound.

It's a keeper , antique , any suggestions ?

R.J.

Re: Emperador Guitars - a brief introduction.

Mine was handed down to me from my grandfather about 15yrs ago, I believe he purchased it in Winnipeg MB (no idea when) # on inside strut is 929. Out of my 8 or so guitars this is the one I still pick up everyday, its been battered and bruised and even has a crack the whole width of the back from being used as a weapon in a bar fight (not by me) but still sounds and plays great.

12 string Emperador Acoustic

I knew nothing about guitars when I bought it. I got it from a second hand store in Michigan and the guy told me that it was an "antique" made in the 70's.

The square Label inside shows a Model no. of 'F007N' and a Serial no. of 'I' (I think. the letter is kinda worn) made in Japan. I paid $350 for it in 2010. I'm pretty sure I was taken for a ride now that i know what I know about its typical 12-string condition issues but it still looks great, is stringed up as a 6 and sounds pretty good. It has a uniquely shaped, black pick guard with goldish designs. The designs are flowery with a butterfly and the silvery Emperador logo in the middle is slightly faded. The finish is amazingly shiny and in great condition.

I was hoping that it would be worth something some day but its hard to determine the worth when there is so little information on these things. Like I mentioned before it has a couple condition issues ( broken nut, bulging top, missing tuner, few scratches ) and I'm wondering if I should fix them up or just keep it as is..

Any suggestions?

Emperador 1256

I have an emperador 1256 in a beautiful original case, As it's one of too many guitars in my collection I'm thinking of putting it on ebay but have no idea of its value, any suggestions would be appreciated. rgds, Mike

I am soon to be the owner of an 'Emperador guitar'... I saw it ages ago in a friends house and loved it straight away... I'm trading him a bass for it

Its a hollowbody i think, double cutaway 335 style, with massive sixties pickups, a bigsby style trem, and a mono/stereo switch,
with white/black decorative binding and it's in a natural wood finish. Love it. Does anyone know what this model is? x

x

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Emperador Guitars - a brief introduction.

: I own a lovely Emperador acoustic guitar. circa late 1960's. Model No. 1258??. Made in Japan by Jack Westheimer. He also produced the Kingston, Teisco and Cortez brands. Later also the Cort guitars. The Emperadors and Cortez brands were produced by the Hiyashi Factory - later brought out by Pearl in the early 70's. My Emperador is very similar to the Gibson Hummingbird. Still in immaculate condition. Does anyone else have this guitar or similar Emperador? I'd love to get a list together of owners to see just what's still out there and to share any information. Also whether they are of any value now? Apparently the Everly brothers used the Emperador brand and loved them.

i also have an emprador serial no 1262. great sounding guitar and also has agreat finish just a shame i can't play it .:).Iálso curious on the value.

: I have an Emperador Mod No. 1256. I really don't know anything about it except that it is a lovely guitar, very everley brothers. If anyone knows anything about it let me know.

i am in Australia and was gifted an Emperader 12 string acoustic in 99 it is old and has been neglected but i can tell this guitar will have a killer tone and i compare it also to a guild or hummingbird :),it's japanese made and has a serial number that has become worn

i was keen to know if anyone could recommend somewhere for good parts as i have decided to restore it to full glory,mainly after genuine parts is the prob...a long shot i know :(

i have used this guitar as a home jam option and was glad to find out some information in your post ty i believe its a 1268

Hi i own a FW 415 Emperador , every day use and i have it for years , Got it sec hand , and there is no year of making visible . i have it for 20 years now and its still like new , and sounds great.

i have an Emperador accoustic that i purchased new in Sydney (Australia) sometime between 1960 & 1965....still sounds great...only ID I can see on it are the numbers 935 stamped on one of the internal struts...be interested to know anything more about these guitars

: I own a lovely Emperador acoustic guitar. circa late 1960's. Model No. 1258??. Made in Japan by Jack Westheimer. He also produced the Kingston, Teisco and Cortez brands. Later also the Cort guitars. The Emperadors and Cortez brands were produced by the Hiyashi Factory - later brought out by Pearl in the early 70's. My Emperador is very similar to the Gibson Hummingbird. Still in immaculate condition. Does anyone else have this guitar or similar Emperador? I'd love to get a list together of owners to see just what's still out there and to share any information. Also whether they are of any value now? Apparently the Everly brothers used the Emperador brand and loved them.

I also have an Emporador in the hummingbird style. The model number is 12801. I have owned several different guitars and although I bought each one for their unique tone, I always picked up the Emerador. It's like it just draws me to it. I love it, and I would never sell it.

Hey i recently inharrited a Emperador acoustic/electric modle number #26855. It was bought for my grandpa by his kids in the late 70's. However due to health problems he could no longer play guitar. So he put itin the box and set it away. Now here i am not to long ago looking for an acoustic to play. I got tlaking to my grandpa and found out he used to play. He then took me into his basment and pulled out a box and said "here enjoy it , don't lend it out or give it away it is very old" so i opened it and there was the Emperador good as new. It still sounds great!!!

I have an Emperador classical that I bought new off the rack at Harmony Music in Winnipeg MB in 1970 for $98.00, give or take a buck or two. It's been everywhere with me, in fact I believe it's the only thing I own that has been with me since then. I've travelled cross Canada with bands as well as the States and my Emperador came with me everywhere. Even through the transient hippie years. I still have it and still play it daily. Here's a sample at this address, if you like:
http://members.shaw.ca/holmer-at-home/some_guitar_mono.wma
I did sand down the plastic bridge piece and the head nut to get a better action. The guitar has aged very well and has a very warm tone.

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Emperador Guitars - a brief introduction.

: : I own a lovely Emperador acoustic guitar. circa late 1960's. Model No. 1258??. Made in Japan by Jack Westheimer. He also produced the Kingston, Teisco and Cortez brands. Later also the Cort guitars. The Emperadors and Cortez brands were produced by the Hiyashi Factory - later brought out by Pearl in the early 70's. My Emperador is very similar to the Gibson Hummingbird. Still in immaculate condition. Does anyone else have this guitar or similar Emperador? I'd love to get a list together of owners to see just what's still out there and to share any information. Also whether they are of any value now? Apparently the Everly brothers used the Emperador brand and loved them.

I also have this model number 1258. I've had the axe for 20 years (I am now 35) and this is still the sweetest acoustic I have ever played. This guitar was given to me by a family member long since past and I still love the sound of it even if I don't pick it up for months. I don't where it was bough t or how long he had before me but I will never give it up. I don't realy care what it is worth......I'm in Australia...

I have an Emperador copy of a 70's Dove with the blond top, cherry stained back and sides, Gibson style headstock, parallelogram inlays, adjustable saddle and dove pickguard. The truss rod cover is just like an Alvarez and says "Adjustable Neck". Great sound though it needs a neck reset and part of the bridge is coming up. I plan to repair it and replace the plastic inlays with MOP. Looks just a Gibson from a distance.

I have an emperador the has a serial/model# W-16a could anyone tell me what it is wort?

Re: Emperador Guitars - just got one

I own one got it at a pawnshop for 70 bucks a little roughed up but nothing unrepairable just a little buzz.
looks like a gibson hummingbird.
Im wondering whats it worth nowadays.

ps: its serial number is 855

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.