Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: guitar searching in korea- where to look

I am stationed @ Kunsan Korea and am looking for a Samick dealer closest to Kunsan City. Can anyone help me?

Scott

: : : i am traveling to Korea and will have time to shop for
: : : an acoustic guitar. i'd like some information or addresses on where to shop and what to look for
: : : thanx rich

: : Is this a myth, or do guitars cost less in South Korea? I heard that they are highly discounted. What about Korean guitars, are they less too. Anyway, I don't know your price range, but my favorite brands are, Martin, Taylor, Guild, and Gibson. Find something good in your price range

: I suspect that Korean made guitars will be available,
: but would doubt that any deals on american made guitars
: would be found. Doesn't make sense they'd be cheaper
: after shipping them half way around the world.

: Samick makes guitars for Epiphone in Korea, among others. Most liekly the Samick equivalents are available, my gut feeling is that Epi's aren't.
: Cort also makes guitars in Korea ( or whatever the
: Korean company is named.

: Doug

: i am traveling to Korea and will have time to shop for
: an acoustic guitar. i'd like some information or addresses on where to shop and what to look for
: thanx rich

I just returned from Osan Air Base last November and yes there are good deals to be had. I bought a Dean acoustic ( $115.00) which sounds as sweet as a Martin and an Epiphone Les Paul Special (Same as Slash's signature model except it's quilted teal finish and doesn't have Slash's snake symbol on it. It even has all black hardware. For this I paid $250.00 brand new and bought my brother in law an Epi Les Paul custom (black with all gold hardware) for the same price. Try finding those prices in the states...You can't. Why, because here in the states YOU pay for the shipping cost and dealer mark up. You're just getting it without those charges by buying it sooner in the process. Koreas economy is weaker than ours and the dealer markup there is nowhere as inflated as here. Word of caution, pay attention to what you're looking at. Some of these guitars are simply overages or pecentages of product that these companies (Epi, Fender, Dean, Ovation, Samick, etc.) have agrred to let the factories sell localy but some, however are what most people would call "seconds" or flaws. Maybe the finish didn't turn out so great or something is slightly off center. Whatever the case if you buy one look at it very well, and SLOWLY. Then leave and go back in a day or two and look at it again to make sure you didn't miss anything. Which is how we should all purchase but I'm guilty of the impulse purchase sometimes also. Anyway, Osan AB is about 40 miles south of Seoul ($50.00 by cab, or there are busses and trains which cost almost nothing). The city just outside the main gate of the base is called Song Tan. The best shop there is called Mr. Potatos guitar. The owner is Ted Kim. One of the best men you'll ever meet. He carries all the fore-mentioned brands as well as his own line of acoustics and electrics, which cost a little more but I believe are actually better than most. He has the factories build them to his specs. He even gives you free lessons once a week for buying from him. If you are able to get near Osan, check him out. You will not regret it. Ted is an upstanding business man, he won't sell you junk. If there not good enough he sends them back. If you buy from somewhere else... like I said, make sure you inspect it carefully, people are people no matter what the country is. Take care and good luck.

I too have just returned from Osan AB and I bought a guitar from Mr. Potato. It is a Fender Telecaster Deluxe imitation (Mr. Potato brand) and it sounds and plays beautifully. It was $290 (including case) and worth every penny. Mr. Potato has a web site... www.mr-potato.com and he can also be emailed at ted@mr-potato.com. As for his business practices, I have never had such good service, ANYWHERE!! While playing my guitar at a local bar (the Piano Bar) my guitar fell and incured some damage. He exchanged it for me no questions asked. He also gives a no questions asked 1 year waranty. I have never been so happy with a guitar purchase and I have played for about 15 years now and have bought over 10 guitars. The Tele copy I have plays just as well as the American Deluxe version I already have. If you want a good guitar, I highly recommend getting one from Mr. Potato. Check out his website.

Hi,
I am living in Gumi-South Korea which just outside Daegu. I just read your post. I am looking to buy an ovation but I'm not sure where the factory is located. I am planning a weekend is Seoul next month and if I can I will make the trip to Mr. Potaoes Guitar. However, do you know of any good places to buy guitars alittle further south or even the factories?

Thanks alot

Martha

Barré practice: looking for sensible excercises

I'm looking for sensible excercises to smoothly and progressively built up left hand strength to perorm barré chords.

Re: Barré practice: looking for sensible excercises

Hmm.The best way to build up hand strength is by playing your barre chords.The more you do it,the stronger your hands will become.

What are tubes??

Are tubes used in all amps or just tube amps? I really have no idea what tubes are or what they do. Anyone help? thanks.

Re: What are tubes??

: Are tubes used in all amps or just tube amps? I really have no idea what tubes are or what they do. Anyone help? thanks.

Well I tube is a device, that was once used to power televisions, and radios, and now is primarly used in amps. Tubes, are for the most part used in tube amps, giving these amps great warm tone. Yet, some solid state amps, do have preamp tubes, and that defines them as Hybrids. Tube amps have preamp, and power tubes

yamaha fg-200?

yamaha fg-200?

This popular thread has been given its own page : yamaha fg-200?

Roland Amp

Recently bought a Roland amp.... works fine in the store, but at home has unacceptable feedback. got a great deal, so I want to keep it. any suggestions, would a voltage regulator help? its a blues cube 30. thanks

HOW TO DROP TUNE TO A "D"

HOW DO YOU DROP TUNE THE GUITAR? TO A "D"

Re: HOW TO DROP TUNE TO A "D"

Drop tuning is like a standard tuning, but the sixth string is just dropped a whole step.
So drop tuning to D is easy, tune to E in standard tuning, then drop the sixth string a whole step, and start crunching those power chords =)

: Drop tuning is like a standard tuning, but the sixth string is just dropped a whole step.
: So drop tuning to D is easy, tune to E in standard tuning, then drop the sixth string a whole step, and start crunching those power chords =)
Perfectly tune your guitar, then tune that 6th string an octave lower than the 4th string. Now it sounds like you are playing the same note a octave higher, and lower

More simplisticly

For somebody who has to ask that question, try fretting the E string at the 7th fret, and tune down until, the note you hit when fretting the E sring at the 7th fret is the same as an open note on the A string (i.e., an A).

: : Drop tuning is like a standard tuning, but the sixth string is just dropped a whole step.
: : So drop tuning to D is easy, tune to E in standard tuning, then drop the sixth string a whole step, and start crunching those power chords =)
: Perfectly tune your guitar, then tune that 6th string an octave lower than the 4th string. Now it sounds like you are playing the same note a octave higher, and lower

: HOW DO YOU DROP TUNE THE GUITAR? TO A "D"
If you go to www.taylorguitars.com and then go to tech sheets you will find an artical on alt. tunings drop D Double D etc...

I need to test a Soldano!

I can't find a Soldano amp anywhere in Minnesota. When I was in Europe I bought a guitar magazine that compared a Mesa Dual Rectifier to a Soldano SLO 100 on a CD. The Soldano wiped the floor with the Mesa on the CD but I can't find one to try for myself. If anyone knowes where I can try one in Minnesota, let me know. Or if anyone has opinions on other soldano amps like the Hot Rod or something I would love the input. Thanks

Re: I need to test a Soldano!

: I can't find a Soldano amp anywhere in Minnesota. When I was in Europe I bought a guitar magazine that compared a Mesa Dual Rectifier to a Soldano SLO 100 on a CD. The Soldano wiped the floor with the Mesa on the CD but I can't find one to try for myself. If anyone knowes where I can try one in Minnesota, let me know. Or if anyone has opinions on other soldano amps like the Hot Rod or something I would love the input. Thanks

Well they make them in very small numbers, and they are more expensive than Mesas. Some heads are in the $3,000 range, and i have no idea where to find one, because no chain store carries them. Look in smaller boutique stores, which sells real high end gear

Re: I need to test a Soldano!

: : I can't find a Soldano amp anywhere in Minnesota. When I was in Europe I bought a guitar magazine that compared a Mesa Dual Rectifier to a Soldano SLO 100 on a CD. The Soldano wiped the floor with the Mesa on the CD but I can't find one to try for myself. If anyone knowes where I can try one in Minnesota, let me know. Or if anyone has opinions on other soldano amps like the Hot Rod or something I would love the input. Thanks

: Well they make them in very small numbers, and they are more expensive than Mesas. Some heads are in the $3,000 range, and i have no idea where to find one, because no chain store carries them. Look in smaller boutique stores, which sells real high end gear

I'm an online only Soldano dealer located in GA. (http://www.petesamps.com) Visit my site and link to the Soldano site and check the dealer list. I became a dealer after buying one from Musician's Friend. I also own a Mesa and a Rivera. There is no comparison to a Soldano. It's like what you've been trying to hear. Simply amazing! Soldano's policy for online stores is not to open the amps. Good luck finding one to plug into. The Lucky 13 is reviewed in this month's Guitar Player Magazine. Let me know if I can help anymore.

Read This

I have set up a site on the net called guitar world its not quite finished at the moment but there is a preview available on the net the address is www.guitarworld.20m.com i would appreciate any visits and suggestions as to how i could make this site better. I am planing on putting up a section for people who are looking for band members(what do you think), I will also be adding more tabs as lessons over the next couple of weeks as soon as I get the time to do so. The email address on the site may not work so if you want to get in touch with me then send an email to guitar@esatclear.ie

Thank you for reading, please visit and send me your comments.

line 6 flextone

i am considering buying a flextone. if anyone already has one please give me some pros and cons.

Fender 2/12 Blues Deville (Tweed)& Peavey classic 4/10 Amps forsale!

Fender Blues Deville 2/12 spkrs,tweed,Reverb,2 channels
w/footswitch,Older model excellent cond. $475/BO
Peavey Classic 4/10,tweed,reverb,2 channels,footswitch,
Excellent Sounding,BRAND NEW never used. $425/BO
If interested email Todd at:toddeboy44@yahoo.com or call (716)684-8462

Mesa Boogie dc-2 for sale or trade for pod and pedal

Mesa dc-2 guitar amp, 2 channels + boost, seperate controls for each channel, 2 EL-84's, 6 12AX7's, Sounds great at low and high volumes. Very good condition. $400. lather@tscnet.com Located in Washington state but I,ll ship if you want.

Re:dc-2 is gone/traded

I traded it for a pod/floorboard. Thanks

Ovation Elite 1758 12 String Guitar

I have a Ovation Elite 12 string guitar model 1758. It is white in color and is in BRAND NEW CONDITION. I don't think it was even played yet. Does anyone know the year it was made in and what value it would have today. I also have the hard case to go with it. Please reply. Thanks, Dan...

Heritage Guitars

Can someone provide information on purchasing a heritage guitar? I understand that they can be purchased factory direct or, a good reputable dealer near SC would be good too.

Tim Sparks website

Check out guitarist Tim Sparks' web site at http://www.timsparks.com/

1975 Fender Telecaster

I bought a 1975 Fender Telecaster Deluxe sight unseen over the phone from a friend of a friend who lives several states away. It is a Chocolate Burst with two humbuckers pickups. I got the guitar for $225.00 with a hardshell case. I thought this was a good deal, so I took it. the guitar is in aprox. 80% condition. Does anyone have a photo of this telecaster? The guitar wont be here for another week or so and I'm dieing to see it.

Re: 1975 Fender Telecaster

Well I don't have a picture, but I've got one myself (black 1979) and it's a great guitar, I've got the humbuckers split with a switch and I paid a lot more for it then you did (I'm dutch but in dollars it's something like $700,- and it's still worth it to me.

I bought a 1975 Fender Telecaster Deluxe sight unseen over the phone from a friend of a friend who lives several states away. It is a Chocolate Burst with two humbuckers pickups. I got the guitar for $225.00 with a hardshell case. I thought this was a good deal, so I took it. the guitar is in aprox. 80% condition. Does anyone have a photo of this telecaster? The guitar wont be here for another week or so and I'm dieing to see it.

I just bought a "choclate" 76 tele, deluxe with the humbuckers...I wouldn't have know what color to call it until i saw these posts of you guys. Anyways, i teach at a musick store, and somebody sold it to me for $450 dollars, which must be a screaming deal. I told him to keep it if he could afford to, but he just wanted the money. I like it alot, but i think the tone pots need to be replaced. I 'm more a jazz guy, but i tell yah, it sounds pretty damn good. I'll have to put some heavier strings on it and see whats up!

: Well I don't have a picture, but I've got one myself (black 1979) and it's a great guitar, I've got the humbuckers split with a switch and I paid a lot more for it then you did (I'm dutch but in dollars it's something like $700,- and it's still worth it to me.

: I bought a 1975 Fender Telecaster Deluxe sight unseen over the phone from a friend of a friend who lives several states away. It is a Chocolate Burst with two humbuckers pickups. I got the guitar for $225.00 with a hardshell case. I thought this was a good deal, so I took it. the guitar is in aprox. 80% condition. Does anyone have a photo of this telecaster? The guitar wont be here for another week or so and I'm dieing to see it.

If anyone wants to sell one of these bad boys give me an email - good price paid!

4-track recording

I am just asking if there are any good 4track recording sites you would recommend.

Re: 4-track recording

homerecording.com (there's a webring for homerecording),recordingeq.com homerecording.about.com audioforums.com I've noticed that most sites nowhave tons of stuff on computer based recording and not a lot an 4-track stuff. At these sites there is a lot of stuff that can be used for anytype of recording, mic techniques, effects,eq, compressors, mixing, cd burning, mastering etc. I'd Start out at homerecording.com first. Hope this helps.

backing tracks

Hi!
I am guitar player and I usually to collect famous backing track MP3 , I have many in
perfect quality from famous Bands and Guitar playter , but I want to get more..and
provide mine also..
Regards,.

Re: 4-track recording

Hi!
I am guitar player and I usually to collect famous backing track MP3 , I have many in
perfect quality from famous Bands and Guitar playter , but I want to get more..and
provide mine also..
Regards,.

Advise on buying an acustic guitar

I am in the market to purchase a used acustic guitar, please advise me on the price range I should pay and what to look for etc. By the way, I am a beginer, so speak in a language I understand please. Thanks for you help in advance...

---SC

Re: Advise on buying an acustic guitar

Well, basically, you probably want a laminate wood guitar as opposed to a solid wood(more expensive by far). As for what brand and what to pay you should pick the one you think sounds the best, and go with that. Seeing that you probably can't play very much, it may be a good idea to bring someone who can play along with you. I bought a fender laminate brand new for 300 bucks a year ago, it has turned out to be a decent guitar, I think fender's acoustics have gotten a lot better since working with guild, so maybe you should lean towards a fender.

I have been interested in learning how to play a guitar for about 2 years now but im not sure what to look for. Today i saw a classified for a 25$ guitar but im not sure what could be wrong with it. What should i look for?

Re: Help with acustic guitar

Hi, i am new to the acustic guitar and my uncle gave me his 12 string guitar. We are going to a guitar store for advice but i thought i might look on the web too. we are going to take 6 strings off the guitar and i was wondering if it would still work (different type). i know there are 6 string guitars and thats what i want but i want to know if its right to take off the right 6 strings because i don't want to mess up my guitar. so, can you post up a message for some advice? thanx

I want to buy a solid wood guitar, and i need advice on which kind of wood to pick. Anyone knows? Please contact me!!!!

Re: Advise on buying an acustic guitar the best to sing with under ($400.00)

: I am in the market to purchase a used acustic guitar, please advise me on the price range I should pay and what to look for etc. By the way, I am a beginer, so speak in a language I understand please. Thanks for you help in advance...

: ---SC

pick- ups on squire strat

I got a squire pro tone strat about three years ago and I'm trying to find out what kind of pick ups it has. It sounds great with my marshall amp if i play it clean or distorted. It doesn't give out a really thin sound like the pick ups on the cheap squires. I can't find any information on the pro tone series not even on the fender homepage, so it would be great if someone could help me.

Guitar Bach tutorial reaches no 26 top 40 guitar mp3

Learn this awesome piece - numbers format - 37 stages -
no notes - all at mp3.com - download everything
<a href="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/76/guitar_bach.html">http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/76/guitar_bach.html</a>

Re: Guitar Bach tutorial reaches no 26 top 40 guitar mp3

It is a cool piece, but I think it would be easier to learn how to read notation and learn this piece in a fraction of the time. A lot of people think notation is a hard thing to learn. It took me about 6 months learning to play notation on guitar to be able to play intermediate classical pieces from books and sheet music. (the same time they suggest it will take to learn this one piece) Just somthing to think about??

What exactly is preamp and how does it work

I have always seen a preamp jack on all my amps but I don't really understand what it's for. I would also appriciate someone explaining to me why I should buy a stack instead of just getting a great sounding amp and micing it through a p.a. system. All input is appriciated. Thanks

Re: What exactly is preamp and how does it work

Get a combo amp and mic it for the best sound on stage and through the P.A. You don't need alot of power because you'll drown out the singer on stage if you crank it up. The lower the stage volume the better you'll sound out front, because you'll cut down on phase problems and bleed thruogh on mics. Another reason for having a lower power amp is that you can get that "crnked" sound at a low volume because you can get the output tube distortion along with the preamp tubes. The preamp input on the amp is for the effects loop. You can connect your stompboxes/processors thru without adding much noise/hiss. In my experience distortion boxes usually don't sound good through the effects loop but sometimes they do you just have to experiment. Most people think stacks look really cool on stage (I'll have to admit I do too) and there's been many big time guitar players that have huge stacks and play thru a single 12" miced. There's been many bands that have empty 4x12's behind them.

RP2000--how to get the great guitarists' tone??

RP2000--how to get the great guitarists' tone??

This popular thread has been given its own page : RP2000--how to get the great guitarists' tone??

What is the price range for a 1934 martin c-1 or c-2?

Where can I find this information?

Re: What is the price range for a 1934 martin c-1 or c-2?

: Where can I find this information?

Check out the dealer search at www.gbase.com. You search by brand, model, and year. Pretty slick way
to get some info on prices....

Doug

VOX GUITAR PARTS NEEDED

I need a bridge to an early 60s Vox Student Prince. Anyone have any ideas? The Vox website really wasn't very helpful and I couldn't find one on any of the "parts" pages.

Re: VOX GUITAR PARTS NEEDED

I have a Vox student prince guitar if you make an offer ill see what I can do for you.

Robert

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.