Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: VOX GUITAR PARTS NEEDED

: I need a bridge to an early 60s Vox Student Prince. Anyone have any ideas? The Vox website really wasn't very helpful and I couldn't find one on any of the "parts" pages.

ME TOO.
DID YOU FIND ONE?
OR A REPLACEMENT?

Re: VOX GUITAR PARTS NEEDED

I need volume knobs that are used on the Phantom 6 and if at all possible, I would like to get the rectangular pickups that were also used on this guitar.

amp settings

i am a new player and need help with settings. i have a solid state marshall and want a good metal tone ala metallica. it has gain,bass,trebble,contour,volume,and reverb. please help

Re: amp settings

Try: gain on full, bass and treble quite high, take off most of the middle (contour all one way-not sure which), reverb to taste and volume as loud as the neighbours will allow!

Re: amp settings

First of all, don't be fooled by what you hear on a CD. The guitar tracks have lots of studio work done on them, and when the bass is added to the guitar it sounds thicker and fuller than any amp ever will. The closest you will probably get is to crank the treb and bass to the max, and set the contour all the way down or close to it. Put on only a little reverb or you will end up sounding like hell when you play without it a year from or two from now. Good luck and let your ears be the final judge!

Selling Fender Super Six Reverb (Australia)

See www.super6amp.homestead.com for details

Help! Dead string sound and no pitch change

This is probably a dumb q, but I'd appreciate help. Got my first guitar (nylon string) yesterday and thought I had it in tune. But one of the strings sounds very "dead", hardly any pitch even on open string. And each of the other strings has the same problem: the pitch doesn't go up a half step with each fret; in fact, there is no pitch change from open string till I get to 7th or 8th fret. THEN a huge difference -- beautiful sound and clear pitch change with each fret.

Any ideas?

Re: Help! Dead string sound and no pitch change

Hmm.This sounds serious.Stand the guitar up and then stand over it and look down at the neck.It might be warped or not adjusted properly.Also your action(string height) maybe too low.I would take the axe to a luthier and have him check it out.But try raising the string height first.
Good Luck

Gear-n-Stuff

Check out www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com for good deals on new gear, good links, and lesson stuff.

A. Thrasher sucks

A. Thrasher not only looks like a homeless guy, he plays guitar like he is retarded. anything and everything he has ever touched or been associated with has instantly been transported to an alternate evil universe where everything sucks. pearl jam was good until they chose to disturb his tomb. i hereby WIPE MY ASS with all that A. Thrasher is and represents. he can't strum his way out of a wet paper bag. i have spoken.

the mummy speaks...

Wow... who woke you up? IT TOOK YOU ONLY TWO MONTHS TO RESPOND!!!

I wasn't here 2 months ago

next time it won't take 2 months, I assure you.

NICE AND ORIGINAL....

just copy what i wrote and put my name where neils is. plagarism. im telling metallica

GEAR QUESTION!!!

Ok, I am lugging 7-8 cables and effects, etc and I want a guitarist duffle bag to carry the stuff in... anyone make such a thing... thanks! monk

Re: GEAR QUESTION!!!

i dont know about a custom made type thing like that, but maybe just home make one from a suitcase or someting

the other answer is get a damned multi!

On Occasion,I use a small trap case(Drums) with wheels.
Or I'll simply get a small,sturdy box and use a luggage carrier.These guys at PEDALWORLD.COM say they can make a muti-effects case for your pedals,but reaching them is kinda difficult.
Good Luck

Those guys ROCK!!! I've always been able to get in touch with them (Matt), and they've always been professional. Thay've answered so many of my questions, and the pictures on the website are unbeleivable!

: On Occasion,I use a small trap case(Drums) with wheels.
: Or I'll simply get a small,sturdy box and use a luggage carrier.These guys at PEDALWORLD.COM say they can make a muti-effects case for your pedals,but reaching them is kinda difficult.
: Good Luck

Those guys ROCKED!!! I was always able to get in touch with them (Matt), and they were always professional. Thay've answered so many of my questions, and the pictures on the website are unbeleivable!

: Or I'll simply get a small,sturdy box and use a luggage carrier.These guys at PEDALWORLD.COM say they can make a muti-effects case for your pedals,but reaching them is kinda difficult.

Those guys ROCKED!!! I was always able to get in touch with them (Matt), and they were always professional. Thay've answered so many of my questions, and the pictures on that website were unbeleivable!

Sounds like you got too much crap !! But I agree with the other guy, look at drum accessory cases, I use one for my crap too.

: Ok, I am lugging 7-8 cables and effects, etc and I want a guitarist duffle bag to carry the stuff in... anyone make such a thing... thanks! monk
SKB makes a pedal board, that you can arrange your pedals on with velcro,in any order you wish. It also has a nine volt power supply for up to six pedals,& comes with a padded bag. you said you have 7 or 8 effects ,so this might not be the right solution, unless your willing to dump a few .

: Ok, I am lugging 7-8 cables and effects, etc and I want a guitarist duffle bag to carry the stuff in... anyone make such a thing... thanks! monk
PERSONALLY I'D QUIT THE FRED ASTAIR FOOT STOMP AND GET A RACK MULTI IF NOT THE FLOOR KIND

Anyone use/heard an X-bridge with a graphite neck?

I was wondering if anyone has heard/played an electric guitar fitted with an LR Baggs X-Bridge system and a graphite neck? If so, does it hinder the acoustic tone? I've been considering a Moses neck for a custom guitar that I'm having built. Any info would be great.

software to convert standard notation to tablture

would anyone know of any software which would allow me to scan guitar music in notation and convert it to tablature and then print it. thanks a lot peter

Re: software to convert standard notation to tablture

im not sure. u can get a midi pickup and be able to play anything and have it come up on the cpu screen in musical score. not sure about the other way round tho.

What Year? Is my Ovation Elite 1758 12 String Guitar

I was sondering is anyone knows what year my Ovation 12 String Elite Guitar is. It is white in color and has gold tuners. This guitar is an acoustic/electric. I was wondering is anyone knows the value of this guitar? It is in BRAND NEW CONDITION. I don't think it was even played yet. If anyone has answers I would appreciate it. I got this guitar from a guy selling out his guitar store and this one was a old gem.

TAKAMINE '99 LTD (MOUNTAIN)

TAKAMINE  '99 LTD (MOUNTAIN)

This popular thread has been given its own page : TAKAMINE '99 LTD (MOUNTAIN)

AX1000G Getting Radio Station Noise w/ Dist. channels

I'm getting Radio Station noise/transmissions with the
distortion channels at high volume levels through my
amp. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this????

Re: AX1000G Getting Radio Station Noise w/ Dist. channels

Are you using pedals or other outboard gear?? 1st try a different cable(s) a good shielded variety. Is there a radio tower near you ?? Does it happen when you travel?? (if you do)does it happen when playing through a different amp ?? I used to get radio stations once in a while, found out it was from my flanger, process of elimination. don't know why. Maybe a tech could explain, I'd like to know too !

I need tablatures for beginners

I'v just started playing guitar and I need some tablatures of famous songs which is easy to play... Thanks

www.olga.net "come as you are" by nirvana. then download the song (mp3) at napster.com n/t

: I'v just started playing guitar and I need some tablatures of famous songs which is easy to play... Thanks

Re: www.olga.net "come as you are" by nirvana. then download the song (mp3) at napster.com n/t

: : I'v just started playing guitar and I need some tablatures of famous songs which is easy to play... Thanks

Re: www.olga.net

: : : I'v just started playing guitar and I need some tablatures of famous songs which is easy to play... Thanks. And i need everything about nirvana i hope you here it it's my heart screaming 'cause he want hear their songs. you know it' s hard to find their album Songs & stuff help needed

Re: www.olga.net "come as you are" by nirvana. then download the song (mp3) at napster.com n/t

: : I'v just started playing guitar and I need some tablatures of famous songs which is easy to play... Thanks

try territorial pissings... Simple but effective

Re: I need tablatures

Im really into interpreting famous songs, and i need some tablatures from singers like michelle branch, etc..
Thanks

way huge swollen pickle fuzz pedal

i am looking for a way huge swollen pickle fuzz pedal. can any1 help?

Prince Purple Rain solo

I'd really like to learn the solo to Prince's song Purple Rain. If anyone can tab it or send a site it would be much appreciated.

FOR SALE! NEW! White Ovation Elite 1758 12 String Guiter

FOR SALE! NEW! White Ovation Elite 1758 12 String Guiter

This popular thread has been given its own page : FOR SALE! NEW! White Ovation Elite 1758 12 String Guiter

Pull Offs Done Correctly- by Jamey Andreas

Pull Offs Done Correctly- by Jamey Andreas

This popular thread has been given its own page : Pull Offs Done Correctly- by Jamey Andreas

intonation

I just recently bought an archtop electric jazz guitar and have been able to get an excellent sound out of it. But certain notes are not as clear or loud as the others. I know my amp can handle all frequencies, so it must be the guitar. The bridge and pickups are adjustable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

Re: intonation

: I just recently bought an archtop electric jazz guitar and have been able to get an excellent sound out of it. But certain notes are not as clear or loud as the others. I know my amp can handle all frequencies, so it must be the guitar. The bridge and pickups are adjustable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
: Thanks,
: Ryan
"Certain notes are not as clear or loud as others" is what intrigues me about your question. If, for example, you are talking about the "high E" is not as loud as the other strings, I would suggest either/or raising the pickups closer to the high E side and/or lowering the pickups at the low E side.
But if you are suggesting that the "notes" in question are randomly located all over the fingerboard, then I would suspect that some frets have "popped up" and are creating high spots on the fingerboard. These high spots are sometimes only found by using a short straight edge (like the side of a 3.5" floppy) and "rocking" it over the fret(s) in question. If there is rocking, that fret is high. if there is no rocking, the frets are of equal height. High frets can create notes that are "not as clear or loud".
Let me know if this helps
Guitar Dr.

Hmm.Certain strings have more harmonic response than others.Example,the B string is the loudest string on the guitar.The G and D strings have the lowest output.
Your pickups should have screws(adjustable poles) on them.I would Lower the B string pole,and raise the D and G poles(screws).Also raise the high E pole just a tad.Remember the D and G strings need the most raising.That should do it.
Good Luck

Thanks guys, I have tried both of your suggestions and now the guitar sounds incredibly balanced.
Thanks again.

: I just recently bought an archtop electric jazz guitar and have been able to get an excellent sound out of it. But certain notes are not as clear or loud as the others. I know my amp can handle all frequencies, so it must be the guitar. The bridge and pickups are adjustable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
: Thanks,
: Ryan

Guitar solos

I have a really hard time creating the lead guitar and solo parts of a song when I write one. Can someone please give me some advice?

Re: Guitar solos

Hmm.I would check the chord structure and build my lead lines off of the arppegios of those chord tones.Chords dictate almost everything in music.If you aren't changing the key with yuor chord progressions,run the scales in that key...slowly.
Good Luck

Learn the minor pentatonic scales. There are 5 patterns in every key. You should be able to get the scale patterns on this site somewhere. It is a good starting point.

: Learn the minor pentatonic scales. There are 5 patterns in every key. You should be able to get the scale patterns on this site somewhere. It is a good starting point.

Start with the main melody of the song, and add in notes, and kind of what comes to you, along the scale patterns. This will make your solos melodic and consistent with the song.

Need information about my FRAMUS!!!!!

Does anybody know where I can find
more information abot my `74 Framus electric Guitar???

Re: Need information about my FRAMUS!!!!!

May be able to help - I have some contemporary reviews and know a bit about the guitars. In 1974 is most likely either a Nashville (solid, shaped a bit like a Musicman Eddie Van Halen) or a Jan Akkerman (semi with one F-hole shaped like a big Les Paul).

: Does anybody know where I can find
: more information abot my `74 Framus electric Guitar???

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.