Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Searching for a online music gear page?

Check-out www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com - gear, reviews, lessons, links, and stuff

Re: Searching for a online music gear page?

I've looked at alot !! of sites and found www.music123.com to be the most competitive site on prices ..I recently bought a Gibson ES-135 Limited Addition Archtop for $1200.00 which was $400.00 lower than anywhere else ..A good site for links with lots of gear and extremely cool wallpaper is musiciansfriend.com I like to go and window shop there :)

How do I get the flanged sound?

Do I need a flanger pedal or are there other ways to get that sound?

Re: How do I get the flanged sound?

i believe you'll need a pedal

: Do I need a flanger pedal or are there other ways to get that sound?

oh yeah .. i love boss pedal

: Do I need a flanger pedal or are there other ways to get that sound?

you could do it the way they used to in the days before pedals
and use 2 tape recordings of the same guitar peice and run them similtaniously one slightly before the other
ichicoo park was recorded that way
it as done by a recording engineer with 2 reel to reel tape recorders and realy long arms
alt buy a boss pedal...

: oh yeah .. i love boss pedal

: : Do I need a flanger pedal or are there other ways to get that sound?

you could do it the way they used to in the days before pedals
and use 2 tape recordings of the same guitar peice and run them similtaniously one slightly before the other
ichicoo park was recorded that way
it was done by a recording engineer with 2 reel to reel tape recorders and realy long arms
alt buy a boss pedal...

: oh yeah .. i love boss pedal

: : Do I need a flanger pedal or are there other ways to get that sound?

leaver on tailstock

I have a"B" bass with twin EMG pick-ups and a leaver that looks like it goes into the tailstock, What does it do and how do I use it?

Thanks
olddon
olddon@coastalnet.com

anyone know where i can get AC tabs

?

Re: anyone know where i can get AC tabs

what is an AC?

: ?

keith richards style playing

I am a beginner. I seek instruction in playing as Keith richards. A web site in tablature would be very good.

Re: keith richards style playing

first of all, he sucks. His stuff is easy to figure out becuase he was so smacked out on coke when he wrote it all. Just look on harmony-central.com for some tabs, that should get you on your way. You may also want to get some crack if you want the real sound.

Greg: thank you for your very prompt and forthright reply. I have been listening to and hanging on every note Keith Richards has played for a long time. This is the first I have heard that he sucks. He maybe easy for you but I need instruction. I am bright enough not to follow KR's unspeakable fitness program as you
caustically suggest. I repeat: is instruction in Keith
Richards-style playing available?

Keith uses a lot of open tunings. I wouldn't trust tabs to much. I'd look for interviews and
analyses in guitar mags.
And in response to those who think that his playing "sucks" and is very easy to figure out, I'd
suggest that they either have a simplistic understanding of their fretboard (a la "shredders
rooool!" type attitudes) and have little sense of the significance of tasteful rhythm playing in
the context of a group as a whole, or aren't overly familiar with his music. Oh, and feel free to
use a dictionary for any words you may not recognise.

I would hardly call myself a 'shredder'. I play acoustic 99 percent of the time, which is not really what i think of when i hear 'shredder'.

Sorry if I misjudged you. I wasn't in the best mood. I just think it's narrow-minded and
short-sighted to dismiss a respected and succesful guitar legend with "he sucks".
That's what reminded me of the "shredder attitude", which I'm sure you're familiar with.
Since you're primarily an acoustic player, I'm surprised you don't appreciate Keith's very
tasty acoustic work, especially on records like "Sticky Fingers" or "Goat's Head Soup". Take
another listen to "Love in Vain", for instance: There's an excellent live version on their
relatively recent "Stripped" album.

:Keith may be to guitar what Ringo is to drums: someone who isn't technically outstanding but plays
with heart and soul to create a unique style which remains popular after three decades. I don't think you
will have much luck finding "instruction" in playing like KR, but there are many web sites that discuss
the open tunings which are the basis of the KR sound. Also, he removes the top (low E or 6th) string
from many of his guitars and plays with only 5 strings. Try this to get an idea: remove or deaden the
top E, drop the 1st string from E down to D, and drop the 5th string from A down to G.

If you can get a DVD or video of the Stones in concert, watch how Keith makes a barre with the index
finger and uses the middle and ring fingers to make chord changes and embellishments.

Good luck!!!

: I am a beginner. I seek instruction in playing as Keith richards. A web site in tablature would be very good.

>>>>Keith Richards style comes across to me as being very loose and raunchy, with a "dust floor dive" or old juke kind of vibe. Esspecially his live stuff. A favorite tunning for K.R., has become the open G tunning with the 6th (low E) sometimes taken right off the guitar! The open G tunning is: (low to high)>>D,G,D,G,B,D<< and was used in many a Stones tunes. If you want to get some insight into K.R.'s "scene" then get a'hold of a couple of good Stones Tab books (Online tab is not a good beginners tab, as it can contain lots of mistakes) and jump into the songs right off..getting to know the chords, chord progressions, chord changes and timing, etc..In addition, I highly recomend what "gar" suggests. Interviews and tech' info from mags' are a great resource. For this I recomend the October 1997 issue of Guitar World. Great info on Keiths playing tech' as well as a MUST READ interview with him. Keep on Jammin!

for beginners and advanced guitarists who want to play like keith richards - there is a free web-site with chords and tab and an analysis on keef!

http://www.playlike.fsnet.co.uk

he he controversial stuff methinks. yep youve had some good advice from some on playing like keith. the open tunings is the best as he plays most of his great stuff in open tuning, a trick i think keith got from mick taylor. which leads to an interesting point, namely that on most stones stuff you arent hearing just one guitarist. you are hearing two be it jones, taylor or wood. i cant help wondering how most of their best stuff was when mick taylor was in the band which is an interesting variation on the old debate that keith did his best stuff when he was on smack. its a lot to do with ya sound as well. grab a kicking amp and guitar. no point trying to emulate a sound (which is half the battle when trying to pin down a style of playing)when ya equipment is crap. back when they made stuff like brown sugar they didnt have multi effects and such so go for a simple basic set up. the most important piece of equipment is ya amp. dont matter what anyone tells ya your amp is responsible for %80 of ya sound.a great les paul or classic strat will sound shit through a crap amp, but a cheapish guitar will sound ok through a great amp. keiths playing tho is brilliant in its simplicity. get all these virtuosos who slag him off and say he sucks, they just telling you more about themselves than anything else, yep they can play million notes a second or john williams best but music is about feeling and emotion and melody. and hell keith just looked great with those teles slung around his neck.
its down to sound, open tuning and practice. stick on the stones full volume and just jam along with em. you'll get there.

ADA MP-1

Anyone who has wiring diagrams for ADA MP-1 Please reply to this. I am in need of them. Thanx Whoever may be able to help me with this problem.

Re: ADA MP-1

: Anyone who has wiring diagrams for ADA MP-1 Please reply to this. I am in need of them. Thanx Whoever may be able to help me with this problem.

Wiring diagrams can be found at http://www.geocities.com/ada_mp1/

Cheers

yo!

I'm gonna be in a band soon, and i need to buy an electric guitar. we're gonna sound like Fuel, Incubus, and Stone Temple Pilots (i dunno what genre they belong in). What guitar would be a good choice ($400-$700) for this? I like the strat, but i don't know if the single coils are for that type of music.

Re: yo!

Strats will cover any style of music, although they may not be the best. Fuel plays a Les Paul (gibson) and a Fender Tele, which are actually quite interesting considering the style. If you like the strat but want the humbuckers, you can always replace the pickup or buy a fat strat, but I don't think it's really that big of a deal. If you're going to go with a Les Paul, unless you can afford a gib, get an epiphone and replace the pickups with new ones, probably something by dimarzio. For a tele, leave it as is, the amp is where the adjustments should be made. I still think that a strat would be your best bet, however. They are very versatile. (American all the way)

one more

ok, i'm going to get the american standard. What single coil pickup out there puts out humbucker sounds?

Re: yo!

You can't sound like Fuel, STP, and Incubus. Incubus is rap-metal with hip hop beats courtesy of their DJ, and Fuel is alternative post-grunge while STP is grunge/hard rock. Why don't you just try to add Primus and Limp Bizkit to your fucked up collaboration?

McPherson Acoustic Guitars

I own a cutaway acoustic guitar made by a company called McPherson. It has two sound holes on either side (not "f holes" but placed in a similar position). It also has a sound hole at the bottom. It's not an archtop jazz guitar but an acoustic flat top. I bought it from a friend a few years ago and I haven't seen another one like it. Has anyone heard of these guitars?

Re: McPherson Acoustic Guitars

Yeah. I have played one. From what I know it is a decent solid top acoustic, but a lot of players joke at it as the bird house guitar. ( Sound holes look like a bird house)The one I played seemed pretty nice, But it was wierd looking.(like a bird house) Sorry.

There are two different kinds of Mcpherson guitars. One was a cheap guitar, origionally made in Japan in the 80's. Another is an AMAZING guitar, which is custom made in the U.S. They used to have three sound holes, one at the end of the guiar, and one by the neck, on either side. Then they switched to one larger sound hole, on top. This allows more of the wood top of the body to vibrate and resonate, resulting in an unbeatable sound. For more info, go to www.mcphersonguitars.com . They are $4,000 ea, and as of now, the waiting list is a year and a half. So go all out and get one, you wont regret it!

That's an old McPherson guitar that was made in Japan. The new McPhersons have been completely redesigned and are handmade in the USA. These new guitars have a single offset soundhole, cantilevered neck, and state-of-the-art bracing design. The finish is flawless and the sound is INCREADABLE! You can see their website at www.mcphersonguitars.com
I also downloaded some fantastic music played on these guitars. It's worth checking out.

I too have a McPherson guitar. It is a 12 string with a sunburst finish and the trademark 3 holes. Mine was make in Japan in the early '80s. It has production #24 on it. My dad bought it in 1983 possibly. I have only seen 3 other McPhersons in my life.

: I own a cutaway acoustic guitar made by a company called McPherson. It has two sound holes on either side (not "f holes" but placed in a similar position). It also has a sound hole at the bottom. It's not an archtop jazz guitar but an acoustic flat top. I bought it from a friend a few years ago and I haven't seen another one like it. Has anyone heard of these guitars?
I picked one up in Minneapolis MN a few years ago. I called the factory and asked a few questions about it. Mine is not a cutaway it is one of 1500 guitars made in Japan in 1980. Look in an acoustic guitar mag. and get the phone number there.

That is aroung a 1980 original McPherson Guitar. One of the pioneers in ofset soundholes. They are really good guitars. They recently perfected their guitars. www.McPhersonguitars.com

Their new design has only one sound hole.

:I found your question while looking for a web page for McPherson Guitars. There is an advertisement for McPherson in Fingerstyle Guitar magazine. I just purchased the magazine last week, 9/5/01, so it should be the current issue. The magazine featured stories about Chet Atkins and he is on the cover. McPherson has now placed a single eliptical sound hole on the front surface toward the top of the guitar if your sitting and holding it. I don't know anything else, but it mentioned a few pro artists that are playing one and it looked pretty sweet to me. I'm looking for more info!

Ovation guitar owners

I recently purchased a 1979 Custom Balladeer. I wanted to ask other Ovation owners what brand and gauge of strings they use to get the best sound out of their guitar.

Re: Ovation guitar owners

I have an late 70's Ovation full size acustic/electric.
No EQ's. Just plug 'n play. I foud the best soud using "Dean Markley Custom 10 Guage". Try them out!

About how much is my guitar worth?

My grandpa recently gave me an electric guitar, and an amp. The guitar is a 1967 Gibson SG, and I was wondering, if in mint condition, how much would it be worth. I am not going to sell it, but I was just wondering. I have looked at sites, and auctions, but I can't find anything about it. And I don't know of any places around where I live that I could take it to.

Thanks

Re: About how much is my guitar worth?

if grandpa was a player who wants to pass on to you
the value of music, the guitar and amp are priceless
if you live up to the legacy. for an honest appraisal
send some good color photos to george gruhn's guitar
shop in nashville.

:
: Thanks

I just recently bought a Fender "Bullet" Bass for $150. The guy I bought it from said it was probably worth more than that since it was discontinued after being sold 2 years. The serial number on it is E006119. Please if anyone knows, tell me.

I just recently bought a Fender "Bullet" Bass for $150. The guy I bought it from said it was probably worth more than that since it was discontinued after being sold 2 years. The serial number on it is E006119. Please if anyone knows, tell me.

I am currently going through a divorce and own a few nice guitars. My wife is claiming that they go up in value. None of them have passed the 20 year age line. They are;

2000 PRS Custom 24 Artist Pak
Taylor 814 CE
Gibson Les Paul Standard 93
Parker Fly Delux 99
Ibanex Artist (76) pretty beat up
All other guitars are in excellent condition.

I don't want to get stung with the full retail price. You know buy ratail sell wholesale.

Any ideas for valuations?

Thanks,

Russ

I am currently going through a divorce and own a few nice guitars. My wife is claiming that they go up in value. None of them have passed the 20 year age line. They are;

2000 PRS Custom 24 Artist Pak
Taylor 814 CE
Gibson Les Paul Standard 93
Parker Fly Delux 99
Ibanex Artist (76) pretty beat up
All other guitars are in excellent condition.

I don't want to get stung with the full retail price. You know buy retail sell wholesale.

Any ideas for valuations?

Thanks,

Russ

Volume Pedal Reccomendations???

Hey, all. I am going to purchase a volume pedal for my rig, and I would like opinions on different models, etc. What do you all use? Is the Ernie Ball one really the best? Does it sound just like manipulating the guitar's volume knob? I want to back off a little during the verse, etc. and I am no good at manipulatiing my vol. knob while playing! lol Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wayne-O

Re: Volume Pedal Reccomendations???

: Hey, all. I am going to purchase a volume pedal for my rig, and I would like opinions on different models, etc. What do you all use? Is the Ernie Ball one really the best? Does it sound just like manipulating the guitar's volume knob? I want to back off a little during the verse, etc. and I am no good at manipulatiing my vol. knob while playing! lol Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

: Wayne-O

I use a Mr. Crybaby Wah/Volume, and it does the job. Nothing is like using the knob. When I play "Cathedral", I still use the knob, because it tweaks the volume, less than the sweep of the pedal. The Ernie ball is supposed to be good, but I got a Wah, to go with the volume, so I am happy

: Hey, all. I am going to purchase a volume pedal for my rig, and I would like opinions on different models, etc. What do you all use? Is the Ernie Ball one really the best? Does it sound just like manipulating the guitar's volume knob? I want to back off a little during the verse, etc. and I am no good at manipulatiing my vol. knob while playing! lol Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Wayne-0 go for the ERNIE BALL it's as solid as the rock of Gibraltar man you could drop a Marshall Quadbox on top of it and it wouldn't even scratch it.
I just bought one and it is fabuloso.

Hey Wayne-0 go for the ERNIE BALL it's as solid as the rock of Gibraltar man you could drop a Marshall Quadbox on top of it and it wouldn't even scratch it.
I just bought one and it is fabuloso.

Sorry for late response.I like the good ol' jim Dunlops
I also Use a Morley Volume/Wah.THIS THING WILL BLOW YOUR AMP TO TO BITS!!

Boss ME-10 guitar multiple effects :someone have good settings?

someone have good settings?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Boss ME-10 guitar multiple effects :someone have good settings?

rp2000 Metallica sound?

I bought an rp2000 and was hoping to be able to set the paremeter settings like the rp3 has but the settings are a little different. The rp3 has a library of settings from people. What I want is any metallica settings I can program in for the rp2000. I like the bleeding me sound but any metallica sound is excellent. Please feel free to email any settings or info. THANKS!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.