Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: PAF in a Kramer?

Hmm.Tried to answer earlier,but was interrupted by the
AOL meanies!I love the Bettencourt axes.They usually stock Bill Lawrence pickups(Double Bladed),which are known to WAX NASTY!!If this is the case,I'd keep those
pickups.The style of PAF pickups vary...Gibson,Seymore,
Dimarzio ect.ect.The Dimarzio PAF Pro is very good,
especially for ROCK.The regular PAF(Dimarzio)are nice and warm,good for Rythym.I'd look into this further if I were you,take your time and pick your sound carefully.
Good Luck

Re: PAF in a Kramer?

: I have a Kramer Focus 2000, not the best guitar, but she holds us pretty good in most conditions. Right now I have an EMG Selest in the neck position and a cheapy from a Nuno Bettencourt Washburne in the bridge (both Humbuckers). I have recently had an offer to buy two PAF's to put in her. Anybody out there have any input as to what this might sound like?

I'd say replace the neck pickup, because EMG selects suck

help with trim

Can someone explain to me what the trim knob actually
does? I can't get a good sound with my guitar unless
I have the knob turned towards the mic position. Why
is this? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Jeremy B. Morse

Re: help with trim

: Can someone explain to me what the trim knob actually
: does? I can't get a good sound with my guitar unless
: I have the knob turned towards the mic position. Why
: is this? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
: Jeremy B. Morse

I bet you are talking about the input levals on a multitrack. I have a Tascam, and i do the same thing. All it does is make a bassline leval for you input. Unless you are recording with incredible levals coming from your guitars, you will have to set near microphone. DO you mic your amp, or play direct?

1974 stratocaster

How much would a 1973 strat be worth ?
original finish, emg pickups ( i don't have the
originals), maple neck, 5way-switch, schaller heads.

Re: 1974 stratocaster

: How much would a 1973 strat be worth ?
: original finish, emg pickups ( i don't have the
: originals), maple neck, 5way-switch, schaller heads.

>>>$800 more or less depending on other factors such as : Color, fixed or floating bridge, original case, original hardware such as pickguard and backplate, four or three bolt neck? and or any other modifications. How do you know it's a 73? is the serial # on the headstock? or on the backplate? The 5 way switch is not original if it's a 73. They only started using those around 76'. Later....

Re: 1973 stratocaster

Have a devalued my 73 strat by fitting a 5 way switch? Its really badly chipped but very I've played it from new. Any idea of value? Does it matter about the tatty look. Still plays brill!

Re: 1973 stratocaster

yuo haven't devalued your strat by fitting the 5 way switch even if i prefer the old one with 3 ways.the value of your guitar is about 2000 dollars if in good conditions.

1973 stratocaster

the serial number should be somwhere around 520000
and the staggered pole pieces on the pickups say that it's a 73 strat cause in 74 they started making flat pole pieces .the price in a shop would be about 3400 euro but I wouldend pay more then 750 or least 900 euro .and if the strat has binn modifight then you better hope it has the original pickups

I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD USED ELECTRIC GITAR AND AMP HELP ME!!

I NEED HELP LOOKING FOR A USEN ELECTRIC GITAR AND A AMP! I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL OR NOT! I AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST DEAL SO PLEASE HELP ME !!THANKS ANNA

Re: I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD USED ELECTRIC GITAR AND AMP HELP ME!!

: I NEED HELP LOOKING FOR A USEN ELECTRIC GITAR AND A AMP! I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL OR NOT! I AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST DEAL SO PLEASE HELP ME !!THANKS ANNA

>>>>How much money do you have to spend? What kind of music do you want to play?

: I NEED HELP LOOKING FOR A USEN/NEW ELECTRIC HAWAIIAN STEEL GITAR AND A AMP! I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL OR NOT! I AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST DEAL SO PLEASE HELP ME !!THANKS SATIRTHA

i got a really good used gitair if u still need one e-ail me back either way

: i need a really good used gitair and amp if posssible.Nice One =)

pictures electric gitar

: I NEED HELP LOOKING FOR A USEN ELECTRIC GITAR AND A AMP! I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL OR NOT! I AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST DEAL SO PLEASE HELP ME !!THANKS ANNA

Gitar for sale

If you e-mail me at shjackieawn@yahoo.com then we can talk. I have a Electric gitar and amp for sale $250.00
Great condition. E-amil me and we'll talk.

Re: pictures electric gitar

:
: : i am looking fo a electric gitar and amp for a good price

: I NEED HELP LOOKING FOR A USED ELECTRIC GITAR AND A AMP! I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL OR NOT! I AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST DEAL SO PLEASE HELP ME !!THANKS ANNA

: I NEED HELP LOOKING FOR A USED ELECTRIC GITAR AND A AMP! I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL OR NOT! I AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST DEAL SO PLEASE HELP ME !!THANKS ANNA

strat pickups

I'm actually after a pickup suited for funk style tunes to suit my fender strat. The pickup also needs to match the output of bridge pickup, which is a set of seymour duncan hotrails. please help!!

Re: strat pickups

AH YES! Funk is one of my specialties.I wouldn't get a pick up thats too hot.Might look into the LITTLE J.B.,
LITTLE 59 or SCREAMIN' DEMON.Had a guitar with those,it
was full of "SPANKABILITY"!!
FUNK AWAY!!

cakewalk guitar tracks

: I saw cakewalk guitar tracks in the music store yesterday and the list of features looks impressive! Is this the best product for recording guitar, or is something else out there better? I am especially interested in guitar tracks and making drum lines or drum loops along with it! thanks.... monk

Re: cakewalk guitar tracks

: : I saw cakewalk guitar tracks in the music store yesterday and the list of features looks impressive! Is this the best product for recording guitar, or is something else out there better? I am especially interested in guitar tracks and making drum lines or drum loops along with it! thanks.... monk

I have guitartracks, and I think its a perfect introduction into computer recording. Cakewalk Pro Audio, Cubase, and few other a better, but not nearly as cheap as Guitartracks. You should look at the new Guitar Studio 2, it has some great features, and isn't to much more expensive than Guitartracks

MP3 tracks?

Hi!
I am guitar player and I usually to collect famous backing track MP3 , I have many in
perfect quality from famous Bands and Guitar playter , but I want to get more..and
provide mine also..
Regards,.

Looking for a gutiar player

Looking for a gutiar player. Inf.. Classic/70-80 Hard Rock that can jam overall. email me for more info...

Re: Looking for a gutiar player

: Looking for a gutiar player. Inf.. Classic/70-80 Hard Rock that can jam overall. email me for more info...

Hey I live in Texas but send me more info(Ican play anything)

Where can i buy an esp m-300 cheap?

i'm gonna buy one soon and i don't know where to get good prices and what i should pay for it

Re: Where can i buy an esp m-300 cheap?

: i'm gonna buy one soon and i don't know where to get good prices and what i should pay for it

List price on an M-300 is $799, so definitely don't pay more than that. Also find a place where you can pay less than that. If there's a Mars music store near where you live, for the whole month (October) their having a 50% off sale on all ESP guitars. I just bought an M-200 last week for $350. Hope this helps.

Schaller locking tuners for Left handed Strat

Schaller locking tuners for Left handed Strat

This popular thread has been given its own page : Schaller locking tuners for Left handed Strat

1956 DuoJet

I bought a 1956 Gretch DuoJet at an estate sale several years ago. I am having it refinished. The only problem restoring this fine instrument is that it was missing the bridge when I bought it. Can I buy a re-issue, and more importantly, where can I find an original?

Thank you,

Scott McDonald

Re: 1956 DuoJet

Hi Scott,
The problem is that Gretsch is now manufactured in Japan or something.Finding an originalk bridge may be tuff

Re: 1956 DuoJet

: I bought a 1956 Gretch DuoJet at an estate sale several years ago. I am having it refinished. The only problem restoring this fine instrument is that it was missing the bridge when I bought it. Can I buy a re-issue, and more importantly, where can I find an original?

: Thank you,

: Scott McDonald

One of my buds, who's into all things Beatles and
therefor drools at Gretsch, says to call the US
Gretsch company and ask them. Story is the guy
who re-started the company has a stock of original
parts and may be able to help you. You could also
try the ads in Vintage Guitar mag, somewhat pricey
but there area couple of folks with Gretsch parts...

Dougster

1960's six string Baldwin

I bought this guitar ages ago from a mate who told me it belonged to the lead guitarist in the British 60's band "The Birds". I only found out recently that Ronnie Wood was in the band. If anyone has any info please get in touch.

Re: 1960's six string Baldwin

: is it electric or accoustic?

please help me decide on a fender electric.

I've been playing for 8 months and,and I'm going to buy a second guitar.My first was a strat coppy,and I wanted to buy a fender sometime soon.I play alot of punk,alternative,and blues.I'm interested in the cyclone,standard fat strat,powerhouse strat,and classic 50's reissue strat.any suggestions?

Re: please help me decide on a fender electric.

go with the deluxe super strat. It's pretty much a beefed up powerhouse strat for i think the same price

Re: please help me decide on a fender electric.

: I've been playing for 8 months and,and I'm going to buy a second guitar.My first was a strat coppy,and I wanted to buy a fender sometime soon.I play alot of punk,alternative,and blues.I'm interested in the cyclone,standard fat strat,powerhouse strat,and classic 50's reissue strat.any suggestions?

Personally I don't like fender that much because I like to play metal and the whole rap\rock
thing, but fender is definetly very good at making high quality instruments. I would say the
fat strat because it i good calue for price, and the humbucker with the singles will give you a
much more versatile sound. The other guitars are good instruments, but I would say the price
and pickups give the fat strat the edge

Reeves Matadir guitar

She old and made by the reeves equipment company. This guitar sounds like a martin.Sweet full and mellow.Does anyone know anything about this guitar. Model 15G Matador

Re: Reeves Matadir guitar

I think you may have a guitar that was made around the corner where I live. I was in Mr Reeves sons band along time ago when he started to make guitars
here in Luton, Beds, England.
if you email me I might be able to put you in touch with Mr Reeves if you like. I hope I'm not wrong about this, but I must say he was a perfectionist when I knew him. I did see him recently mowing the garden so he's still with us.

by for now
leah
www.atouchofclass1.co.uk

pentasystem.com

Is it true that guitars are now obsolete? If it's true that they are only 30% in tune and these new Pentasystem instruments are 97% in tune then what gives? Fender et all better work fast! Looks like a better mousetrap has arrived! What do you think?

Re: pentasystem.com

The two music schools I teach for can't keep up with the demand for guitar lessons and are always looking for more guitar teachers.
I don't know what "pentasystem" is but nobady has asked for lessons in it yet where I live.
Jim in Canada

: Is it true that guitars are now obsolete? If it's true that they are only 30% in tune and these new Pentasystem instruments are 97% in tune then what gives? Fender et all better work fast! Looks like a better mousetrap has arrived! What do you think?

digital practice recording device

I am looking for a hand held portable recording device digital which can be used for recoding and practicing solo's or guitar licks. The machine has variable speed settings for slowing done the music while maintaining the pitch. Can anyone out there help.

seek for news about aria

i've bought an aria pro 2, cardinal series(pat.n°555719), CS-250model, n°2020570.
I want to now its age, its price, and what are the micos.
If somebody has an answear,...

Re: seek for news about aria

I haven't heard of Aria Pro guitars since the early 1980's.Back then they were considered "yucky" axes.The low budget stuff today is built much better.But if you like it...cool.
Good Luck

Re: seek for news about aria

Describe the fret board, body, head. I have an idea but i need an over all condition.

New guitar site: www.electric-guitar.co.uk

Hi,

Please check out my new guitar site:

<a href=http://www.electric-guitar.co.uk>http://www.electric-guitar.co.uk</a>

Ive got a licks database, tab, lessons and more.

Thanks

modes

modes should be thought of as keys. a scale is a source
from which to extract chords for progressions.
a mode is a scale so for it to be of any use song wise
you must extract the chords from it.
most guitar players are taught the modes in relation to the
major scale which is the source of the confusion.
Modes are independant keys in their own right with
their own set of scale tone chords and own distinct flavour.

Another confusing way modes are taught is that scale to
chord relationship. e.g In c major , a progression that goes
c , am , F , G . would mean c Ionian for the c major chord ,
a aelion for the am chord , f lydian for the f major chord
and g mixolydian for the g major chord.

This would have to be the worst way to look at modes
if your objective is to highlight the distinct flavour
of the modes.
The problem with this approach is that we hear harmony
in the basic sense of tension and release.
In the key of c major `C' is considered to be tonal centre
or `home or tonic' or whatever you want to call it.
Earwise this chord is considered to be the most resolved or
home chord.
whatever chord is played in the key of c now will be to
some degree be tense or resolved depending on its relationship to the
key centre or c chord.
This is a fact and the fundamental principle behind harmony.

To tie this back to modes it means that if you were to play the f lydian scale over the f major chord in the previous progression you would not hear the true flavour of the lydian mode.
your ear would simply being hearing notes being played against the fourth chord of c major key waiting for the tension to be released with a return to the c or `tonic' chord.

To have a true representation of the f lydian mode in a song f chord would have to be the tonic or home chord e.g the progression F / G / F / G.

In other words it is the chord progression that dictates wether the true sound of a mode is heard or not.

Modes when thought of as keys are actually very simple. Most modal chordal progressions in rock usually consist of two ot three chords.
One of these chords will be the definitive chord of that mode. This is a little harder to explain so I wont bother at the moment.

Songs do not stay on one chord all the time. Any notes that you are playing at a particular point have that particular sound ,colour or characteristic
because of their relationship to the underlying chord , and in turn that chord has it`s particular sound or tension because of it`s relationship to the`tonic' or `home' chord.
You can begin to see how important key centres are when it comes to how notes and chords sound.

The bottom line modes are just keys. If you extract the scale tone chords from the key and base your progressions on it you will end up with the true
harmonic colour of that mode.
a lot of rock and metal songs use progressions based on modal keys but still use simple pentatonic scales over them . a lot of them would not even realise the progression is extracted from a
a modal scale. It can be that simple if you want.
Sure it can get a lot more involved but for most guitarists they just want a basic understanding of what the hell a mode actually is or what it does.

Playing in major or minor keys all the time can get tiresome to the ear.
Modes can bring a fresh new sonic approach to a solo instead of the same old pentatonic
scale material everytime.

I hope this has`nt caused anyone more confusion about this subject and hope it has helped
somebody clear up some misconceptions about modes.

Dream Come True by Frozen Ghost

I need to get ahold of the music for Dream Come
True by Frozen Ghost. If someone has it or knows
the song please let me know.

Re: Dream Come True by Frozen Ghost

: I need to get ahold of the music for Dream Come
: True by Frozen Ghost. If someone has it or knows
: the song please let me know.

Did you find someone who knows where to find it? I am looking for this too for my upcoming wedding! If you did, please let me know!

Re: Dream Come True by Frozen Ghost

: i am also looking for the song..has anyone found it..

: : I need to get ahold of the music for Dream Come
: : True by Frozen Ghost. If someone has it or knows
: : the song please let me know.

:
: Did you find someone who knows where to find it? I am looking for this too for my upcoming wedding! If you did, please let me know!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.