Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - July, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

HELP...Triumph....A Midsummer's Daydream

HELP...Triumph....A Midsummer's Daydream

This popular thread has been given its own page : HELP...Triumph....A Midsummer's Daydream

Guitar Effects through PC

Can anybody point me in the right direction to find a program that will allow me to distort and use effects while my guitar is pluggedinto my PC. I have found programs that will put effects onto WAV files later, put I would like the effects to be as I play them.
I would very much appreciate E-Mail replies!
Cheers all!!

Gray

Re: Guitar Effects through PC

: Can anybody point me in the right direction to find a program that will allow me to distort and use effects while my guitar is pluggedinto my PC. I have found programs that will put effects onto WAV files later, put I would like the effects to be as I play them.
: I would very much appreciate E-Mail replies!
: Cheers all!!

: Gray

I've not tried this but here is something I found on the net:
http://www.cl.spb.ru/asm104/

Re: Guitar Effects through PC

i have tried a lot of pc guitar effects and none will compare to the real thing so i recomend stop looking and just buy a distortion peddle at marsmusic.com

Fender Frontman 25R

I have a Fender Frontman 25R and it just is cutting it. I have payed guitar for four years and have had many guitar amp combos. I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to beef up the bass and the volume, I was thinking of buying a 200 watt carvin 810 and using my external speaker jack on frontman to make it happen. I know it would work in that sound would be produced but would it sound good. I would appreciate any responses thanks, Dave.

Re: Fender Frontman 25R

: I have a Fender Frontman 25R and it just is cutting it. I have payed guitar for four years and have had many guitar amp combos. I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to beef up the bass and the volume, I was thinking of buying a 200 watt carvin 810 and using my external speaker jack on frontman to make it happen. I know it would work in that sound would be produced but would it sound good. I would appreciate any responses thanks, Dave.
try putting it through a 412 8 ohm cabinet...wow unreal power for very little expense.

GL BRO

"The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar"- by Jamey Andreas

If you are a growing guitarist or a beginner, and you are looking for the "correct" way to become a good guitarist, then you should go check out: http://www.guitarprinciples.com
See what Jamey Andreas has to offer the growing guitarist.....

Your growth as a Guitarist: Vertical or Hortizontal?

Your Growth as a guitarist: vertical or horizontal?
By Jamey Andreas

As the years go by in the life of a player, there are two kinds of
growth we
can experience. Both are necessary for our development as musicians and
guitarists. I call them Vertical Growth, and Horizontal Growth.

Here is a common scenario. A person comes in for lessons after already
playing for awhile. Maybe they have played for a year, maybe a few
years,
maybe many years. I say, "play something for me, something you are
comfortable with". Now a few different things may happen. They may play
nicely, strumming and singing, maybe even throw in a few runs. So I see
that
for the level they are at, they play well. I then try to find out what
they
are here for. "What do you want to do, that you find you can't do."

They may say "Well, I play lots of things, but I play them all the same
way.
I want to learn how to do chord melody solos, more interesting chords
and
strums, and also improve my fingerpicking so I can try some
classical.". In
other words, they want to move to a higher level as a player. They want
to
make VERTICAL GROWTH.

They don't want to continue to learn new songs and play them the same
way.
That would be HORIZONTAL GROWTH. Everyone can always make Horizontal
Growth,
even on their own. You just learn more material, but you don't actually
play
any differently, musically or technically.

Vertical progress as a player is the tough one. It requires what is
usually
considered "work", although I have always found it enjoyable, although
challenging.

Here is another even more common scenario. Someone comes in for lessons
after
playing for awhile, and when I ask them to play, they make a couple of
excuses, and then they play really badly! Then I ask them to play
something
else, and they play that really badly! This is the person unable to
create
Vertical Growth. The reason they cannot raise their level as a player,
is
because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO PRACTICE TO SOLVE PROBLEMS AND ACHIEVE
RESULTS! Also, because of this, there is no solid foundation of
technique for
Vertical Growth to be built upon. So there is only Horizontal Growth,
more
things played the same way, in this case, badly.

Do you know how many young players I've seen who play only the
beginning of a
hundred songs, and play them badly? Lots.

Or how many people playing classical who go from piece to piece,
struggling
with and mutilating pieces as they go? Lots. It is sad, and
unnecessary.

If you love the guitar, and are dedicated to your own development as a
player, if you are dying to play the way the guitarists you admire
play, you
must know how to create Vertical Growth. This is done through an
understanding of HOW TO PRACTICE. I am of course talking about REAL
PRACTICE,
not repetitive "run throughs" that only re-enforce the muscle tensions
causing the problems you already have.

From my experience as a player and as a teacher, it is extremely
difficult to
create Vertical Growth, once bad, or insufficient practice has locked
in
tension and bad habits. The good news is, it is not impossible. In
fact, the
word difficult is not the best word. I use it only because we have such
a
tendency to under-estimate the intensity of concentration it takes to
undo
past damage. A better word is challenging. And if you want to keep
getting
better and better as a guitarist, you'd better learn to love
challenges! As
Mark Twain said "Life is one damn thing after another", and that is
what
playing and practicing are. One damn problem to deal with after
another.
But as we learn to actually deal with and solve those problems, what a
sweet
reward we earn.

In fact, it is not the problems we face in our playing that are really
the
obstacle to our growth. It is the growing feeling of frustration and
helplessness we experience as time continues to go by, and we see no
fundamental improvement. We start to feel helpless. We may not admit
this
feeling to ourselves, we only notice that, for some reason, we are
beginning
to lose our motivation to practice.

When we learn how to really practice, we start to feel powerful.
Problems and
challenges don't frighten us, they excite us. Because we know that we
can
look forward to those problems getting smaller and smaller, weaker and
weaker, as we continue to apply the Principles of Correct Practice.

It is important to realize that the quality of our Vertical Growth
determines
the quality of our Horizontal Growth. Any ability we have gained as
players
has been our Vertical Growth. If our Vertical Growth has been shaky,
with
weaknesses built in, (which was true of myself, and I think, most
players),
that shakiness will be in everything we play, so our Horizontal Growth
doesn't do us much good, it just keeps us busy, feeling like we are
making
progress because we are learning a new song or piece. This is why so
many
teachers turn the page and assign new material to a student, even
though the
student can't play the material from this week. The teacher doesn't
really
know how to create Vertical Growth, and so is trying to keep a feeling
of
movement going. Most students, if they are paying attention, will catch
on to
this.

If Vertical Growth is strong, than all new material learned will be
strong,
and will help you grow as a musician, as you absorb new music, and are
able
to play it well. This is the kind of Horizontal Growth we want.

If you want to learn how to have this Vertical Growth as a regular
experience
for you, I invite you to visit <A
HREF="http://www.guitarprinciples.com">www.g
uitarprinciples.com,</A> and learn more about "The Principles of
Correct
Practice for Guitar". It is the approach I have found to work for
myself, for
my students, and anyone else who actually understands it, and uses it.

copyright 2000 by Jamey Andreas (www.guitarprinciples.com)

Dave Creamer

Hey Frank, if you're out there, I replied to your August 1999 posting regarding Dave Creamer.

-Ty Tuschen

This pick thing is layin me to the bone - this question is for fast jazz or neo classical musicians.

I almost gave up the electric guitar cuz I dont like picking but I can do 3 note per string scales at 140 bpm playing 16th note triplets ( 6 notes per click ) with a metronome with hammer ons and pull offs with my left hand - I cant do that on an acoustic with nylon strings ( I almost switched to classical guitar ). I like to keep my right hand fingers off of the guitar while Im picking so I have to keep my palm light on the strings near the bridge for balance - thats the way they teach to position your right hand in most music colleges. If I change strings with my forearm ( elbow ) I have to palm mute far away from the bridge while Im picking the low E so my palm is still on the lower strings while Im picking the high E because of the way the forearm moves the pick up and down the strings diagnaly. I dont like to hear my lower strings muted that much. So Im tryin to change strings with my wrist cuz the wrist moves the pick up and down the strings in a half circle and it works better for palm muting. I can pick fast (?) ( 110 16th note triplets ) with my wrist or forearm on one string at a time but I dont feel right changing strings with my wrist like my hand isnt large enough (?). I have small hands. The only way I can reach all 6 strings moving the pick up and down the strings with my wrist is if I slant the pick up at the low E and A strings. I can keep the pick pointing straight at the guitar on the D, G, B, and high E but I have to have the pick angled at the low E and A strings so Im picking the right side of the string instead of the top of the string. Does anyone else do that? Can you make a habbit out of that? I dont mind doing it that way but it seems like it might be too inconsistent to do it fast with a straight scale. I copied that right hand technique from Paul Gilbert and he looks like he has his pick straight at the guitar on every string - his hands seem larger than mine - it might be hand size.

Re: This pick thing is layin me to the bone - this question is for fast jazz or neo classical musici

First off, I must admit that I believe the pick is the most limiting device ever created for guitar with a very few small exceptions. Other options would be to look at Mark Knofler of the Dire Straits, who plays electric guitar fairly well and uses only his hands. Another option would be to get finger picks so you'll have the feel of using your fingers somewhat, but the sound of plastic on steel. For better or worse.

: I almost gave up the electric guitar cuz I dont like picking but I can do 3 note per string scales at 140 bpm playing 16th note triplets ( 6 notes per click ) with a metronome with hammer ons and pull offs with my left hand - I cant do that on an acoustic with nylon strings ( I almost switched to classical guitar ). I like to keep my right hand fingers off of the guitar while Im picking so I have to keep my palm light on the strings near the bridge for balance - thats the way they teach to position your right hand in most music colleges. If I change strings with my forearm ( elbow ) I have to palm mute far away from the bridge while Im picking the low E so my palm is still on the lower strings while Im picking the high E because of the way the forearm moves the pick up and down the strings diagnaly. I dont like to hear my lower strings muted that much. So Im tryin to change strings with my wrist cuz the wrist moves the pick up and down the strings in a half circle and it works better for palm muting. I can pick fast (?) ( 110 16th note triplets ) with my wrist or forearm on one string at a time but I dont feel right changing strings with my wrist like my hand isnt large enough (?). I have small hands. The only way I can reach all 6 strings moving the pick up and down the strings with my wrist is if I slant the pick up at the low E and A strings. I can keep the pick pointing straight at the guitar on the D, G, B, and high E but I have to have the pick angled at the low E and A strings so Im picking the right side of the string instead of the top of the string. Does anyone else do that? Can you make a habbit out of that? I dont mind doing it that way but it seems like it might be too inconsistent to do it fast with a straight scale. I copied that right hand technique from Paul Gilbert and he looks like he has his pick straight at the guitar on every string - his hands seem larger than mine - it might be hand size.

Re: This pick thing is layin me to the bone - this question is for fast jazz or neo classical musici

The fastest guitar players combine the forearm stroke(mainly) with wrist action (not so much).As you practice your speed ,you right thumb and fore-finger will start to gyrate naturally (don't think about it or
fight it).Try not to change strings with your wrist. With healthly, daily practice your body will automatically know what to do.
Etude in Cminor(?)good for improving your up-stroke, key to playing fast and precise.This helped me become a speed demon when I was younger,I was quite deadly.
A good teacher can also give you cross-srtring picking excersises to help you.Get down with the up-stroke!!
Keep on pickin'

Moving only your wrist seems best to me if you can but Im using the way I do it naturally now. I pick naturally with my wrist and forearm both together - I have to hear the strings muted more than I like if I move my arm at all to change strings. I dont like the tone with the palm far away from the bridge on the lowest strings but adding more distortion, mid, and high end helps a little.

Hmm,your problem seems quite complexed.
By keeping your rigth hand close to the bridge,you'll
restrict your motion and your cross-string accuracy will be hindered.This us because your arm is almost locked. However,if you like your sound, that's cool too, but there will be a trade-off. Been playing 22 yrs.,2 yrs. Mannes , still take lessons. Trust me ,try
folding your arm inward (standard position).You'll find
your cross-string picking easier, more accurate and more fluid. Give it a try dude.
Good Luck

need 12 string tuning

I got a twelve string guitar but I am not sure how to tune the small strings I heard they were octaves. can I get some help?

Re: need 12 string tuning

hey same name!
ok basically u tune all the 'normal' strings normally, then u tune thee other 6 to the same note. i know some are the same pitch and some are up/down an octive, but i think u can go by feel, like if the strings getting really tight trying to go up, maybe try at the same pitch. does anyone know exactly, cause im thinkin bout getting one 2?

close, but check this out. it should help.
http://www.tle.se/twelve.html
: hey same name!
: ok basically u tune all the 'normal' strings normally, then u tune thee other 6 to the same note. i know some are the same pitch and some are up/down an octive, but i think u can go by feel, like if the strings getting really tight trying to go up, maybe try at the same pitch. does anyone know exactly, cause im thinkin bout getting one 2?

Tune the top four thick strings (E,A,D,G) like normal then the complimentary strings should be tuned to the same note, one octave higher. The bottom two sets should be tuned the same (B,E)for both strings

Help needed to get a used Mesa Boogie Combo!

I write from Bolivia someone can help me to get a used Mesa/Boogie at lowest price?

Gibson Les Paul HELP !!!

can someone please tell me the price range for a Gibson Les Paul Standart Guitar (NEW) ?

Re: Gibson Les Paul HELP !!!

: can someone please tell me the price range for a Gibson Les Paul Standart Guitar (NEW) ?

I recently bought a Les Paul Standard online for $1,900 new. Vintage sunburst w/chrome hardware looks really nice, sounds even better! go to:
www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com
I think Gibson raised the list price so you may end up paying alittle more.

Re: Gibson Les Paul HELP !!!

Gibson Les Paul standards run about $1,200 new.However,
if you can afford it,get a 1976 or '77 Paul.Superb necks

Frontpage web hosting

What other problems do you have besides being unemployed, a moron and a dork?
--------------------------------------------------<hr>

Website Hosting Packages - Windows 2003 Server
<a href="http://www.efextra.net">Web design hosting site</a>
http://www.efextra.net

Website promotion - SEO

Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows.

-----------------------------<hr>

<a href="http://www.doorway-page-software.com/">Search Engine Positioning</a>

http://www.doorway-page-software.com

Any Canadians Guitar players here ???

Next week I'm flying to Canada (from Israel) and I was wondering if Canada is cheaper or more expensive then the USA in music Gear (guitars)?

Re: Any Canadians Guitar players here ???

: Next week I'm flying to Canada (from Israel) and I was wondering if Canada is cheaper or more expensive then the USA in music Gear (guitars)?

Hi Gil. Generally speaking, I think it is cheaper to buy in Canada. This is especially true in Toronto and perhaps Vancouver. A few years ago I bought a Taylor acoustic guitar and got it at the American list price but paid in Canadian dollars. Anyway, things may have changed but check out Steve's Music on Queen Street west in Toronto if you are going to be in that city.

Re: Any Canadians Guitar players here ???

What is the street address of Steve's Music?

Tablature needed!!!!!

I saw the "original" woodstock from tv. Jimi Hendrix was playing Americas National Anthem. It just kept singing in my head, so i wondered if anyone would have Tabs of this Anthem. Thanks in advance!! Email me them if u have them or send it here =)

Re: Tablature needed!!!!!

Why not try your local library? The Star Spangled Banner is featured on, for example, "Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix". They have that in sheet music as well, if I remember correctly. You should have no problem in finding it - if they don´t have it you can ask them to order it for you.

The quality will definetely be way different from what you might be able to find from the net...

How to 'condition' fingers

How to 'condition' fingers

This popular thread has been given its own page : How to 'condition' fingers

MXR DYNACOMP WITH GIBSON LP

My MXR Dynacomp works perfectly with my fender guitars, but my Les Paul Standard causes it to break up. Does anyone know a good way to reduce the gain in the pedal without turning down my Les Paul?

I need some keyboard tab

anybody have a link about keyboard tab?
I like all kind of music.
PLEASE HELP ME

Re: I need some keyboard tab

i would also like to find some keyboard tab....
thanks

Re: I would like some keyboard music

: i would like to find some keyboard music for ozzy osbourne
: thanks

Re: I need some keyboard tab

: anybody have a link about keyboard tab?
: I like all kind of music.
: PLEASE HELP ME

Bugger.

I posted this same question on the 'Dimmu Borgir' (Norwegian Black metal) website and got a link to a real good extreme metal keyboard tab site. But my computer got reformatted and Dimmu Borgir have changed their site... I'll ask the question again when the site is finished.. go to www.dimmu-borgir.com and look out for it dude.
(some of the bands included on the site were: children of bodom, dimmu borgir, my dying bride cradle of filth and lots more..)

Angus Young vs. Eddie Van Halen

Angus Young vs. Eddie Van Halen

This popular thread has been given its own page : Angus Young vs. Eddie Van Halen

beginner

can anyone tell me where i can down load notes free notes to playing a guitar? i am a beginner and dont know where to place my fingers for correct notes.please help if possible

Re: beginner

te voy a contestar en español porque es mas facil para mi. tengo 30 años tocando guitarra clasica y 25 como maestro. lo mejor que puedes hacer es pisar siempre con la punta de los dedos en el diapason y nunca pegar la palma de la mano a este. esto te dara rapidez, fuerza y agilidad en la mano izquierda. si tienes otra pregunta con gusto te contesto. hector de la mora guitarrista clasico

Good guitar sound in the recording studio

To anyone with advice:

I am entering a real recording studio for the first time. In the past, my amp(s) have been too noisy for quality recording; yet I need a good natural distortion sound from the amplifier for what I plan to do. Any feedback (sorry for the pun) appreciated and hoped for. Thanks for the input.

Re: Good guitar sound in the recording studio

Real studios have a variety of amps,effects, noise gates, etc. on site. Also, if there is an engineer booked with your session,(hope so) it will be his job to make sure there isn't noise bleeding through. Most studios are well equipped to handle anything that comes up. By all means bring your own amp if you really like the sound. But also listen to their advice, they are the pros !

Re: Good guitar sound in the recording studio

The main thing is to be sure your guitar is in good shape - the intonation is good, etc. As posted before, the studio should have good pre-amps (very important!), and many pro studios have amps, etc. In addition, they may have amp modelers like a POD for recording. These are used extensively by the pros. If the studio is DAW based, you may just record a clean sound (the engineer should be able to give you distortion in your headphones while you play...), and add the amp later. Amp Farm makes a great sounding software modeler that mimics classic amps. An advantage is that you could record the part with, say a Fender tweed sound, then change your mind and dial in a Marshall stack instead. Of course this only works if you like the sound of that modeler! It just depends on what your studio has - I would check with them.

I need patches for the korg AX1000G

I recently bought a ax1000g and I love it, but i can't find any websites with patches for the thing. if you have any suggestions or totally whacked out patches email me at lawles3@yahoo.com

Re: I need patches for the korg AX1000G

: I'm in exactly the same position as you. If you get any I would love to hear from you.

Bill

Re: I need patches for the korg AX1000G

Hey you guys try this page:
http://www.korg-ax1000g.fr.st/ they also have an english page. Enjoy, and if you find other pages with patches please let me know.

a bass player joke

How do you get a bass player and a drummer to play in unison? Shoot the drummer.

a drummer joke

A guy walks into a shop,walks up to the counter and says,"I'd like to buy a Les Paul please." The shop assistant looks at him and says "You're not a guitarist. You're a drummer!"
The guy looks at the shop assistant and says "Wow!How do you know that? I've only just started playing guitar.What gave me away? Must be my forearms, right?"
The shop assistant stares at the guy and says "No sir,this is McDonald's."
;-)

Rev

FS: Martin D18, c. 1964

Literally like new, in original hard case. Please reply directly to conipc@aol.com

Peavey or Marshall?

I was just wondering whether to get a Peavey Bandit 112 or a bigger Marshall amp. I like the distortion on the Peavey and that is what I mostly play, plus it works well with my Epiphone guitar. On the other hand, My band is starting to get publicity and may or may not start playing bigger shows, so I might need a bigger amp. Also, I've tried a Marshall with my guitar and it goes pretty well, but not the same as the Epiphone. I'm completely torn on the issue, so could you give me some feedback? Thanks.

Re: Peavey or Marshall?

: I was just wondering whether to get a Peavey Bandit 112 or a bigger Marshall amp. I like the distortion on the Peavey and that is what I mostly play, plus it works well with my Epiphone guitar. On the other hand, My band is starting to get publicity and may or may not start playing bigger shows, so I might need a bigger amp. Also, I've tried a Marshall with my guitar and it goes pretty well, but not the same as the Epiphone. I'm completely torn on the issue, so could you give me some feedback? Thanks.
If I were you a would get the marshall,trust me as soon a you set down and mess around with the settings you'll have you epiphone sounding better than before

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.