Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - July, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Peavey or Marshall?

:I was just wondering whether to get a Peavey Bandit 112 or a bigger Marshall amp. I like the distortion on the Peavey and that is what I mostly play, plus it works well with my Epiphone guitar. On the other hand, My band is starting to get publicity and may or may not start playing bigger shows, so I might need a bigger amp. Also, I've tried a Marshall with my guitar and it goes pretty well, but not the same as the Epiphone. I'm completely torn on the issue, so could you give me some feedback? Thanks

I would recommend a Marshall, the DSL's and TSL's are great. But if you really like your Peavey, you can get a bigger one (such as a 5150 II) or you can just put it out to more speakers or a power amp. That is, if you can even do that on one of those, I've never used one.

hm..i was thinking.. you shouldn't buy an amp based on its distortion capability simply because amps' distortion always suck.

: :I was just wondering whether to get a Peavey Bandit 112 or a bigger Marshall amp. I like the distortion on the Peavey and that is what I mostly play, plus it works well with my Epiphone guitar. On the other hand, My band is starting to get publicity and may or may not start playing bigger shows, so I might need a bigger amp. Also, I've tried a Marshall with my guitar and it goes pretty well, but not the same as the Epiphone. I'm completely torn on the issue, so could you give me some feedback? Thanks

: I would recommend a Marshall, the DSL's and TSL's are great. But if you really like your Peavey, you can get a bigger one (such as a 5150 II) or you can just put it out to more speakers or a power amp. That is, if you can even do that on one of those, I've never used one.

If u like the Peavey Distortion but need a bigger amp, why don't u buy the Bandit 112 and then the ext Cabinet. like this u will have 200 Watts, enough for a big show, and not expensive at all!

I'm not a Marshall man myself.I'd recommend the Peavay
5150,or ,if you can find one,a Fender SuperTwin(1980's).This amp took out a Marshall an the 5150,with room to spare,chomp,chomp,chomp!!!
Good Luck

: I'm not a Marshall man myself.I'd recommend the Peavay
: 5150,or ,if you can find one,a Fender SuperTwin(1980's).This amp took out a Marshall an the 5150,with room to spare,chomp,chomp,chomp!!!
: Good Luck

Hey,

is there someone looking for a 'fender supertwin'? I want to sell mine, and a 'dynacord Star' also!

Greetz!

personly i would recomend the peavey banditt 112.
I have the solo series amp but there both bassicaly the same, the 112 bandit just might have a little better sound quality than the solo series bandit.MARshalls well have a differnet sound from the bandits, but with anything i just taks time to produce and get familiar with your amp.Eail me and well talk about them.jimi.

: personly i would recomend the peavey banditt 112.
: I have the solo series amp but there both bassicaly the same, the 112 bandit just might have a little better sound quality than the solo series bandit.MARshalls well have a differnet sound from the bandits, but with anything i just taks time to produce and get familiar with your amp.Eail me and well talk about them.jimi.my email wyb012florahill.vic.edu.au

Aria Pro 2

We just had this guitar come out of pawn, and seems in
very nice cond. I was wandering about what to price it
at. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Re: Aria Pro 2

I know these guitars well, I'd say about 250 bucks

I would say around £150 - £200.

Am looking fore a mid 80's Per 80, do you know of anything available?

FS: Martin 00-18, 1963 build

Virtually mint condition, origional HSC...reply to COnipc@aol.com

Texas Special p/ups

I've just picked up a used Strat at a bargain price and I am thinking of changing the p/ups for Fender Texas Specials. Does anyone have any experience of these? I've heard that they're quite "focused" as regards tone. I'm using a Fender Twin Reverb amp with another Strat at the mo' (3 Lace Sensors,2 Silver,neck/middle and 1 Red at bridge) and I am looking for something with a little more "quack" in positions 2 & 4.
I play mainly blues/funk and have no need for a really big humbucker type sound.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers,
Rev

Re: Texas Special p/ups

I'm using those in a Lone Star strat.. If the quack you are referring to is the SRV/Buddy Guy quack, then these pickups will probably help.

: I've just picked up a used Strat at a bargain price and I am thinking of changing the p/ups for Fender Texas Specials. Does anyone have any experience of these? I've heard that they're quite "focused" as regards tone. I'm using a Fender Twin Reverb amp with another Strat at the mo' (3 Lace Sensors,2 Silver,neck/middle and 1 Red at bridge) and I am looking for something with a little more "quack" in positions 2 & 4.
: I play mainly blues/funk and have no need for a really big humbucker type sound.
: Any help would be most appreciated.
: Cheers,
: Rev

Re: Texas Special p/ups

Thanks Zeus,that's exactly the kind of tone I'm looking for. (Now if only I could play like SRV...)
Cheers,
Rev
: I'm using those in a Lone Star strat.. If the quack you are referring to is the SRV/Buddy Guy quack, then these pickups will probably help.

: : I've just picked up a used Strat at a bargain price and I am thinking of changing the p/ups for Fender Texas Specials. Does anyone have any experience of these? I've heard that they're quite "focused" as regards tone. I'm using a Fender Twin Reverb amp with another Strat at the mo' (3 Lace Sensors,2 Silver,neck/middle and 1 Red at bridge) and I am looking for something with a little more "quack" in positions 2 & 4.
: : I play mainly blues/funk and have no need for a really big humbucker type sound.
: : Any help would be most appreciated.
: : Cheers,
: : Rev

Understanding Tabs

AAAAAAHHHHHH!. Im going to pull all my fuckin hair out. I don't understand how to translate the information that you get in most music books that relates to guitear tabs. i'm loosing out on a meaning full part of existance. can anybody help me I'm a moron. No I didn't mean morman. Good karma will shine it's light on you.

Re: Understanding Tabs

: AAAAAAHHHHHH!. Im going to pull all my hair out. I don't understand how to translate the information that you get in most music books that relates to guitear tabs.

How to read and write TAB
http://www.guitarsite.com/tab-help.htm

or plain text:
http://www.guitarsite.com/tab-notation.txt

Re: Understanding Tabs

how do you read those funny number things like on www.multimania.com/pocketabs/index.html

TRAVIS THE MAN WHO

NEED CHORD BOXS' WILL appreciate help. aarghh!! uuhh!
Im a bit brain dead and require the help of a madman. Good karma will flow if you help me. thankx

Re: TRAVIS THE MAN WHO

I brought the album a while ago and I think it's one of the best album I have heard!!!

Re: TRAVIS THE MAN WHO

I brought the album a while ago and I think it's one of the best album I have heard!!!

What pickup for Metal?

Hi.
First of all, cool BBS.

Now, what pickup would some of you guys recommend for a REALLY heavy metal sound. Also, is it possible to make some sort of connector in my guitar so that i may switch pickups easily?

Thanks
Zeus

Re: What pickup for Metal?

: Hi.
: First of all, cool BBS.

: Now, what pickup would some of you guys recommend for a REALLY heavy metal sound. Also, is it possible to make some sort of connector in my guitar so that i may switch pickups easily?

: Thanks
: Zeus

:Re: well I sugggest useing EMG pickups because there great for heavy music

use emg 81(bridge) emg 85(neck). those are the best metal pickups on the market.

: Now, what pickup would some of you guys recommend for a REALLY heavy metal sound.

DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups can give some crunchy, heavy sound. Seymour Duncan customs are my favorite.

:Also, is it possible to make some sort of connector in my guitar so that i may switch pickups easily?

There are lots: 5-way switches, specialized 5-way (like in the PRS guitars), 3-way, Fender Jaguar style, mini-toggles, and more. They're only a few bucks in any guitar parts catalog. The Jaguar style ones can let you put your pickups out of phase, too, for some extra treble and bite.

I would recommend the Carvin M-22 humbucker(MONSTER),Bill Lawrence(NASTY),PAF pro,Seymore SH-5(TASTY,Oh yeah).

The only metal pickup that matters... EMG-81.
No arguments, no questions.

Ergonomics (or lack of)

Hey guys,

I used to play a lot of jackson guitars back in the eighties when i was mostly metal. Since Ive gotten old <g> Ive expanded my musical tastes a bit. Ive got a couple of strats now that ive been using for rock/blues. NOW, the metal bug has bitten me again for some reason and Im getting cramps in my right hand from palm muting (the strats vol knob is right in the way so I have to sort of lift the lower part of my hand). Any of you guitar teacher types know of any stretches or anything that may help? (only non-destructive please:)

Thanks
Zeus

new to guitars, trying to learn as much as i can before i buy. help

one day it just snapped and i had to have a guitar, so i want to learn as much as i can before i buy one. i'm 14 so i have a rather limited price range.
should i buy one of those guitar packs that come with everything a beginner needs? i found a fender pack that comes with a squire strat, an amp (it didn't say how many watts), a tuner, strap, picks, extra strings, etc. for about $280. i know that the squires suck to high heaven or whatever, but i'm a beginner and it doesn't really matter to me. does this sound like a good idea? if not, please tell me what does..

Re: new to guitars, trying to learn as much as i can before i buy. help

: one day it just snapped and i had to have a guitar, so i want to learn as much as i can before i buy one. i'm 14 so i have a rather limited price range.
: should i buy one of those guitar packs that come with everything a beginner needs? i found a fender pack that comes with a squire strat, an amp (it didn't say how many watts), a tuner, strap, picks, extra strings, etc. for about $280. i know that the squires suck to high heaven or whatever, but i'm a beginner and it doesn't really matter to me. does this sound like a good idea? if not, please tell me what does..

DON'T DO IT. You will be sorry man, just don't do. For $280 or so, you could get so much better. You should get something a little bit better. Get a Dearmond, or a Danelectro, they both make great economy guitars, that don't sound like junk. Get a decent amp, like a Fender Champion 30. Also, check out musicyo.com, they sell Kramers, which look pretty decent, and are definetly better than squires. They also sell electar amps. It is a 30 watt tube amp, for way cheap. Both companies are owned by Gibson now, so the quality should be good. Also check out Route101.com, they have nice strat like guitars.

Yeah, Guitar packages are a good idea, and you'll be able to get a good deal.
One thing I suggest is to pick out a decient guitar and amp, and go to the retailer and ask them what they can give you this for, tell them that you've got prices from other music stores and you're just compairing them... I bet that you'll come out with a great package and a good price. Better then buying it all seperatly... Have fun

Re: new to electric guitars what do you think about starter packs

: Yeah, Guitar packages are a good idea, and you'll be able to get a good deal.
: One thing I suggest is to pick out a decient guitar and amp, and go to the retailer and ask them what they can give you this for, tell them that you've got prices from other music stores and you're just compairing them... I bet that you'll come out with a great package and a good price. Better then buying it all seperatly... Have fun

Re: new to electric guitars what do you think about starter packs

are they descent enough or should i buy it all seperate
what do you think?

: one day it just snapped and i had to have a guitar, so i want to learn as much as i can before i buy one. i'm 14 so i have a rather limited price range.
: should i buy one of those guitar packs that come with everything a beginner needs? i found a fender pack that comes with a squire strat, an amp (it didn't say how many watts), a tuner, strap, picks, extra strings, etc. for about $280. i know that the squires suck to high heaven or whatever, but i'm a beginner and it doesn't really matter to me. does this sound like a good idea? if not, please tell me what does..

Spend the money on a guitar and an amp - individually. You'll get better qaulity. You can get the tuner and stuff later. I'd recommend the Epiphone LP. Sound and looks like the original, but at a fraction of the cost. I'd recommend one of the Fender amps. Go to:
www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com
Don't cut corners on your gear - you'll wish you had gotten better gear when your skills develop, which shouldn't take too long. Good luck.

Need pedal setup advice for a hardcore sound PLEASE HELP!!!!

I really need help with my sound, it sounds shitty but I have good hardcore gear, I have a boss mt-2 metal zone, an Ibanez rg 520QS, a digitech whammy, and a zoom 3000s multieffects processer, and my amps a crate gx-600 half stack I run everything through my input on my amp Is that a mistake please reply

Re: Need pedal setup advice for a hardcore sound PLEASE HELP!!!!

: I really need help with my sound, it sounds shitty but I have good hardcore gear, I have a boss mt-2 metal zone, an Ibanez rg 520QS, a digitech whammy, and a zoom 3000s multieffects processer, and my amps a crate gx-600 half stack I run everything through my input on my amp Is that a mistake please reply

Try running the stuff through your fx loop. It's generally better, but I don't know if it will make your sound "harder".

: : I really need help with my sound, it sounds shitty but I have good hardcore gear, I have a boss mt-2 metal zone, an Ibanez rg 520QS, a digitech whammy, and a zoom 3000s multieffects processer, and my amps a crate gx-600 half stack I run everything through my input on my amp Is that a mistake please reply

:
: Try running the stuff through your fx loop. It's generally better, but I don't know if it will make your sound "harder".

I think one problem is that you are using a metal zone. I have a metal zone and really don't prefer it. So many things sound better. I think, also, that Crate is not so good for a good sound. Try a Marshall head and use the distortion on the amp instead of a pedal.

I have an idea for. The metal zone is not helping you. Chances are (if those crate speakers are oringinal) you may want to invest into some better speakers. Celestrians are a good choice. I reconfigured my cabinet with 2 15"inch speakers, and 2 12"inch speakers, the 2 12's are originals. Those 15"s will add the perfect bottom for that distortion u are looking for. Smooth bass with a very heavy cruch on the top. Perfect blend.

Ok. First set your Metal Zone pedal to the Trash metal seting. Run it into your amp through the clean chanel. Set you knobs on the clean chanel to this. Bass 10 Mids 0-4 Treb to what you like. Then tune your guitar. The lower the tuning the heaver you will sound.

New guitar

I was looking around on eBay the other day and I ended up buying a Cort Effector guitar. Anyone know what it's worth or when the heck it's from? It's gloss black, with an ebony neck/fretboard and a black headstock. All the hardware's black too. It has six effect buttons, and volume, tone, and speed knobs. It's got two humbuckers and a two-post standard tremolo. VERY HEAVY too. If you're gonna respond, send it to my email.

Re: New guitar

hey man i just bough the very same freakin guitar for $100 used at a local guitar shop..great intresment i was wondering the very same questions..if u know the answer by now ciould u e-mail me? thanx man

: I was looking around on eBay the other day and I ended up buying a Cort Effector guitar. Anyone know what it's worth or when the heck it's from? It's gloss black, with an ebony neck/fretboard and a black headstock. All the hardware's black too. It has six effect buttons, and volume, tone, and speed knobs. It's got two humbuckers and a two-post standard tremolo. VERY HEAVY too. If you're gonna respond, send it to my email.

Re: New guitar

Hello,

My name is Allen Culbertson and I also own a cort effector all I can
help you with on your problem is: It's so heavy cause it has a soild
maple body (or that what the guy who owned the shop told me), The value of
one with 3 gold knobs, with the 2 way gold plated whammy system, the 6
brass effect buttons, the gold tuneing knobs at top, and sterling
silver fine tuning screws (like the modle I have) is somewhere in the area
of $400-$500 dollars the one you have discribed on your post should be
somewhere in the area of $300 dollar value (just depends if it's the
strat modle or the explorer modle.) You also said yours has 2 pickups does
it have 2 single pick up or 2 double pick ups? If you need some more
help on finding out values/where it came from/or anything else about it
just
e-mail me back and I'll go ask the man who owns the shop I bought it
from about it for you.

-Al

P.S. - It may be a bulky and heavy guitar but it is a very good
insturment (except when the battery for the effects system dies) but other
than that out of the other 3 guitars I have my cort is the best I've got.

What are your best show off guitar tricks??

Go on.
I know you're dying to teall me!! :¬)

Re: What are your best show off guitar tricks??

My favorite is a fingerstyle thing I do with my thumb and middle finger on the bass strings, you can
hear it, and learn to play it free at http://www.truefire.com in the acoustic category under "Fingerstyle
Speed Technique", since I got it down I can't play it any less than breakneck. ( I had a hard time recording the slow
example for truefire),
Jim Graham, Canada

: Go on.
: I know you're dying to teall me!! :¬)

THE ULTIMITE GUITAR TRICK!

the ultimite guitar trick is a free finger fret walk down, when you hammer on the 10th and hit the 12th with your right pointer finger

Re: What are your best show off guitar tricks??

Guys cmon, the best guitar trick is to just do an awsome solo, and then totaly snap ur guitar in half on an amp!

fender cyclone or fender american standard strat?

fender cyclone or fender american standard strat?

This popular thread has been given its own page : fender cyclone or fender american standard strat?

Tokai 'Golden Sound' "Oldie but Goldie" Circuit

Can anyone help me find the original circuit diagram for a 1970's Tokai Strat copy? I had to wire mine as a standard strat, but the original had a quite different and superior sound. They achieved it by using some sort of coil and capacitors. Does anyone have any info.

Tokai 'Golden Sound' "Oldie but Goldie" Circuit

Can anyone help me find the original circuit diagram for a 1970's Tokai Strat copy? I had to wire mine as a standard strat, but the original had a quite different and superior sound. They achieved it by using some sort of coil and capacitors. Does anyone have any info.

BAZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I bought a new Standard Stratocaster.
and the strings makes that "zzzzzz";
they are too close, what can i do?!
(i dont know much as you can see, so make it easy, please)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.