Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - July, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Guitar Cleaning....help.

How do I clean the pickups on my guitar?...they are very dusty. And how often should I clean the pickups? Also, how often should I change strings on a guitar???

Re: Guitar Cleaning....help.

: How do I clean the pickups on my guitar?...they are very dusty. And how often should I clean the pickups? Also, how often should I change strings on a guitar???

THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN YOUR PICKUPS IS WITH ELECTRONIC ENDUST, OR AN AIR DUSTER AND TO GET THEN REALLY CLEAN PUT SOME GUITAR POLISH ON A Q-TIP AND GET IT REALLY GOOD, THE BEST TIME TO CLEAN YOUR PICKUPS IS WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR STRINGS ITS MUCH EASYER TO DO IT THEN, CHANGE YOUR STRINGS WHEN THEY GET A VERY DRY FLAT SOUND OR WHEN THERE SO CORRODED THAT YOU CANT EVEN GET THEM CLEAN WITH A STRING CLEANER, TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR STRINGS BECAUSE GOOD BIRGHT SOUNDING STRINGS IS A KEY FACTOR IN YOUR SOUND, WIPE OFF YOUR STINGS EACH TIME AFTER YOUR DONE PLAYING BECAUSE THE CHEMICALS IN YOUR FINGERS AND SWEAT CORRODE THE STING AND TRY TO POLISH YOUR STIRNG EVERY WEEK, DO NOT KEEP YOUR GUITAR IN A DAMP AREA LIKE A BASEMENT, THAT IS JUST PLAIN GUITAR STRING DOOM!!! IF YOU TAKE REAL GOOD CARE OF YOUR STRINGS YOU MIGHT NOT EVEN HALF TO CHANGE THEM FOR UP TO FIVE MONTHS!! GOODLUCK!!

Or, just play your strings until one breaks, then change 'em all. that's what I do, and they last anywhere from 20 min (my bad luck) to a month or so...the only bad part is when that happens at a gig. That's when a backup axe comes in handy.

i just goy finished playing and my guitar is covered with fingerprints and i have to clean it with something but i dont have any polish or anything what kind of house hold cleaner can i use with out hurting the finish on my guitari would realy apreciate the help and i will be asking u many more questions in the future

sampler in stomp box? (>2 seconds)

Hi there,

Is there anyone who knows if there is a stomp box
guitar sampler which can sample more than 2 seconds?

Thanx in advance,

Your Hand Is Your Band: The Importance Of Fingering

Your Hand is Your Band: The Importance of Fingering

Could you imagine how good a band would be if the players weren't sure
of who
was supposed to play which notes? How good would their performance be
if at
rehearsals different members played different notes at different times?
And
yet, when guitarists practice, this is actually what happens for many
of us.
Very often, we are not really sure of which fingers we are using for
each
note we must play, and we do different things at different times. Or,
we may
be using awkward fingering for something, because we never stopped to
think,
examine and analyze what we are doing.

As I have gone through many years of teaching the guitar, I have formed
a
list which now contains many items. The list is called "really basic
things
that every guitarist should fully understand and put into practice, but
apparently, nobody is telling them, or they are just not listening."

I hope eventually to get to every one of the items on this list, but
the
subject of fingering is one I would like to talk about now. It often
happens
that I will get a new student, who has played for a while, and had
lessons
with another teacher. Many times I have been surprised, in fact,
shocked, to
find them practicing things, especially rather complex things like
classical
pieces or fast rock licks on electric guitar, and they DO NOT HAVE ANY
FINGERING OR PICKING WRITTEN ON THE MUSIC. In other words, the notes or
tab
are there, but the fingers to use for each hand are not.

Why is this important? Because the fingering is the set of instructions
that
your brain is supposed to be processing and following when you play in
order
to bring about the results you want: namely, the right notes at the
right
time. If you have not figured out the fingering you are going to use,
(or
experiment with) than you are, in effect, making your practicing weak
and
ineffective because you are not fulfilling the two conditions of
practice:
1)Know the right thing to do to achieve what you want, and 2) MAKE SURE
YOU
DO IT!

Here is the fundamental understanding you must have. When you are
training
your fingers (and realize you are really training your WHOLE body WITH
your
mind) to perform the actions necessary to get the result you want (the
exact
right movements at the exact right time) you must be entirely and
consciously
clear as to what those movements need to be, AND you must know, really
know,
whether or not you are doing those movements with each repetition
during the
practice process. If you have not even bothered to figure out and write
down
the picking to a complex lick, or complex passage in say, a Bach fugue,
then
you are undoubtedly doing something different with each repetition, and
doing
something even slightly different just won't cut it when it comes to
nailing
things securely.

The only time you can get away without being consciously aware of the
fingering you are using is when the notes you are playing are parts of
patterns that are already well learned, and able to be done
automatically. Of
course, the more we develop as players, the more patterns we
accumulate. But
if you want to continue to develop your abilities as a player, you must
know
how to deal with new and challenging material, and to CONQUER IT! And
believe
me, there are ways that work, and ways that don’t!

Don’t be lazy. I used to want to just jump in and start playing the
music,
and not have to figure out the best right hand fingering for the Bach
fugue
that I couldn't wait to play. But as I developed, and saw how
unreliable and
awkward the results of such practicing were, I started to take the time
to
write in the fingers when I needed to. My practicing became more
consistent,
and the results more powerful.

It is very important to realize that the fingering you use for a
passage can
make the difference between being able to play something, and not being
able
to. There are a few reasons for this:

1) Some fingering is just BAD. Some fingering is just awkward or
inefficient
by nature for human hands.

2) Some fingering may be bad for YOU. It may be used, and work for
someone
else, because of individual anatomic differences, or different levels
of
development. Fingering that wasn't good for me at one point, became
usable
years later, and vice versa.

Learning the ins and outs of fingering and picking takes experience,
and
analytical thinking. If you take lessons, ask your teacher about the
subject,
and always think in this way when you practice.

Whenever you are having trouble with something, a lick or scale run or
intricate fingerstyle passage, ask yourself this question: do I know
EVERY
finger, on both hands, responsible for playing EVERY note (for
pickstyle,
substitute pick stroke, up or down, for the right hand). Providing an
answer
to that question (the right answer, YES, of course) may very well solve
that
problem for you.

copyright 2000 by Jamey Andreas, guitarprinciples.com

Fender Strat

Anyone got a wiring diagram for a Fender Stratocaster. I'm not sure of the model but it has a double rear pickup and two singles.

Many thanks.

My first acoustic guitar

I am looking for a Guitar that has quality but doesnt cost a lot of money just incase I buy it and decide the guitar is not for me.Any suggestions?Thanks

Re: My first acoustic guitar

Well, Fender is actually making some decent guitars...i bought one for around 300 bucks like 6 months ago and have had people come up to me and ask me how i got so much tone out of it...I think fender makes several affordable models...What i would recomend you do is find someone who can play...and have them play maybe 15 different guitars in your pricerange for you. Use their input and see how they sound to make your decision...it's not worth buying a cheap guitar if it's a pain to play it and it sounds bad.

Check out Dean or Takamine

: I am looking for a Guitar that has quality but doesnt cost a lot of money just incase I buy it and decide the guitar is not for me.Any suggestions?Thanks

Checkout seagull guitars. Acoustic Guitar Mag peoples choice award for under $500 guitars, can be had for around $300 +/-

: : I am looking for a Guitar that has quality but doesnt cost a lot of money just incase I buy it and decide the guitar is not for me.Any suggestions?Thanks

: Checkout seagull guitars. Acoustic Guitar Mag peoples choice award for under $500 guitars, can be had for around $300 +/-

Try the Martin D-15,or the OOO-15 both can be had for around 565 bucks with case at Mandolin Bros. www.Mandoweb.com If you can go alittle higher in price get a Taylor 310

Melissa:
If you can afford $300 buy a Seagull S6 series. They hold their value. If you purchase a cheap Fender, Hohner, or other "Brand X" you are wasting your money. A side note, Seagull is rated the best guitar under $500 by Acoustic Guitar Mag. For resale take off $25 bucks on the price before tax. Goto www.seagullguitars.com for dealers near you.
best wishes.

Whats it worth? Yamaha G240 Classical Guitar

I have had this classical guitar for 10 years. It was probably made in the mid-1980's, and has no serial number. It came with a hard case with yellow plush lining. How much did this guitar originally sell for?

Thanks for your help, please e-mail any comments to me.

Ibanez RG270DX -- whats it worth? (NEW)

What is an Ibanez RG270DX worth brand new? Thanks

Re: Ibanez RG270DX -- whats it worth? (NEW)

: What is an Ibanez RG270DX worth brand new? Thanks

THE IBANEZ RG270DX IS WORTH ABOUT $275

the ibanez RG270DX is worth $799.00 brand new, I just
got one.

I bought my Ibanez in February last year, and it did cost me about $600, but it was in Sweden, remember.

/ Jonas

all Ibanez guitars and basses

Were gitar software pleaze

help we must record great songs for our show

romantic guitar songs

i want to learn some songs playing with classical guitar, i saw a man playing guitar songs and that songs arent famous but they were really beatiful, i am looking for such songs. some romantic guitar songs.
can you give some names of such kind of songs please..

Re: romantic guitar songs

I recommend Ben Harper - Beloved One...i'm not a fan of the song, but it's beautifull if you play it right on the guitar...and Saybia - In spite of..if I remeber more, I will tell you later..

Whats a yamaha acoustic FG-365S worth now?

Whats a yamaha acoustic FG-365S worth now?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Whats a yamaha acoustic FG-365S worth now?

mp3z

i want guitar mp3 like clapton

Re: mp3z

: i want guitar mp3 like clapton

When I looked at the Eric Clapton page on MP3.com it said...

<ul>
"Wondering why this page looks empty?
We promised our lawyers no new <a href="http://www.mp3.com/my/news/yourmusic.html">lawsuits</a>
this month... "
</ul>

Re: mp3z

: i want guitar mp3 like clapton

When I looked at the Eric Clapton page on MP3.com it said...
<ul>
"Wondering why this page looks empty?
We promised our lawyers no new <a href="http://www.mp3.com/my/news/yourmusic.html">lawsuits</a>
this month... "
</ul>

can i get napster here

where is it

Re: can i get napster here

: where is it

<a href="http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Napster/">click here</a> to download Napster.

Re: can i get napster here

: where is it

<a href="http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Napster/">click here</a> to download Napster.

get napster at

www.mp3.machine

same guys as guitarsite. great site.

ARCHTOPS-HERITAGE vs GIBSON

I saw most favorable comments about Heritage archtops than Gibson. The first one are really cheaper, solyd wood than Gibsons laminated and expensive.
What do you think about this? No Heritage retailer here in Barcelona, Spain but next summer i try to buy an archtop in New Orleans. Thanks

Re: ARCHTOPS-HERITAGE vs GIBSON

: I saw most favorable comments about Heritage archtops than Gibson. The first one are really cheaper, solyd wood than Gibsons laminated and expensive.
: What do you think about this? No Heritage retailer here in Barcelona, Spain but next summer i try to buy an archtop in New Orleans. Thanks

Heritage is actually a company owned by former Gibson workers. When Gibson closed their Michigan plant in the 80's, they gave the workers the option of becoming senior employees in Nashville, or becoming owners of the Michigan plant, and owners of woods left behind. Anyway they all bought out the plant, and formed the company we call Heritage. So what you are buying are Gibsons, with better quality, and lower price. So go for it. You maybe able to arrange some kind of deal with a retailer that would ship you the guitar. Check out some european shops, mainly the bigger ones, because they maybe able to help you out

ARCHTOPS-HERITAGE vs GIBSON

I saw most favorable comments about Heritage archtops than Gibson. The first one are really cheaper, solyd wood than Gibsons laminated and expensive.
What do you think about this? No Heritage retailer here in Barcelona, Spain but next summer i try to buy an archtop in New Orleans. Thanks

damn im good.

when i turn on my guitar and play it, really good sounds come out the amp. its pretty heavy, but i can play jazz or blues if i feel like it. i play a strat. it has seymour duncan pickups. i have a marshall amp. i have to put cotton in my ears its so loud. this girl said my songs sound like metallica, but i say im better. they are sell outs. flame me if you want to. if you were here id punch your nose.

cheers.
A. Thrasher.

rock on

topic say's it all

Re: damn im good.

: when i turn on my guitar and play it, really good sounds come out the amp. its pretty heavy, but i can play jazz or blues if i feel like it. i play a strat. it has seymour duncan pickups. i have a marshall amp. i have to put cotton in my ears its so loud. this girl said my songs sound like metallica, but i say im better. they are sell outs. flame me if you want to. if you were here id punch your nose.

: cheers.
: A. Thrasher.

FUCK YHEA DUDE!!!

A little full of ourselves, aren't we, A. Thrashy. If you're so much damn better than Metallica, why aren't you out on the road making millions and getting shit loads of fans? HMMM??? I can't hear you??? This is logic we're talking about here. And, oh, by the way, there's a very good chance that you'r full of shit and that you are actually a big pile of stickin' shit when compared to Metallica. As a drummer and bass player, I don't go around flaunting my playing, because I'm not an ASSHOLE. . .
byee. . .

It's good that you are confident in your ability and your creativity.Much props to you.However,as artists we must practice HUMILITY.Remember,there is always someone out there better than the next guy and flaunting it too much can create enemies inside the industry and out.The learnig process ends only when Gabriel's horn blows (death).
Play on dude.

jackson pickups

I have a jackson PS4 and i want to replace the pickups because they are horrible...I know seymore duncans are good, could someone recomend a model...im after a megadeath, metalica, motley crue sound.

Re: jackson pickups

I like the tone of the Jackson humbuckers enough but they feed back alot when you play loud with distortion - I like the Seymour Duncan "Duncan Distortion". It has has alot of output ( distortion ) and a hard tone that sounds better to me with palm muting than most pickups.

The only Dimarzio pik-ups I vouch for are the PAF pros and the standard PAF(rythym position).If you can get Bill Lawrence pickups,they'll shred your dog!The Carvin M22 pick-ups are MONSTEROUS,I love them.However,
my all around favorite is the Seymore Duncan SH-5.It has a ceramic magnet(not alico,i.e. Bill Lawrence)so the tone is warm,big,and clear.Not as powerful as some
others(14.7k ohms)but when you crank'em it's a real mutha(shut my mouth).Save your old pickups.Stay away from anything that says"DISTORTION",might have to much
output and not enough clarity.Tone beats output anyday!
Good Luck

get the best metal pickups: emg 81(bridge) emg 85(neck)
those will absolutly get that metal sound you are looking for. trust me, they sound great for metal and anything else you play

I like Gibson Guitars , Especially a light weight SG,
Jacksons are good also but for a real work horse that holds its tone with the tuneamatic bridge it is hard to beat a Gibson. Replacing Pickups is alot of trouble when a person could just pick up and play with a new guitar that better suited thier needs.

Easy Money! Not a Scam!!

Easy Money Not A Scam!!

New York-New York City

Job Title:
Easy Money Not A Scam!!

Job Description:
I saw this article in a newsgroup saying to send $1 to each of the 6 names and
addresses stated in the article. You then place your own name and address in the
bottom of the list at #6, and post the article in at least 200 newsgroups. I figured,
"What have I got to lose" I invested the $6. Within 7 days, I started getting money in the mail! In my first week, I made about $25. By the end of the second week I had
made a total of over $1,000! This is now my fourth week and I have made over
$42,000 and it's still coming in. It's certainly worth $6. Let me tell you how this works
and WHY it works, make sure you print a copy of this article NOW, so you can get the information off of it as you need it. I promise that if you follow the directions exactly, you will start making more money than you thought possible by doing something so easy! It's legal. And your investment is only $6 (plus postage) This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent,and it is 99% no risk, it works! If all of the instructions are adhered to, you will receive huge dividends. Follow these directions EXACTLY, and $50,000 or more can be yours in 20 to 60 days. This program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of the participants. In this business your product is not solid and tangible, it's a service. You are in the business of developing Mailing Lists. Here are the 4 easy steps to success. STEP1: Get 6 pieces of paper and write the following on each piece of paper "PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR MAILING LIST." Now get 6 US $1 bills and place ONE inside EACH piece of paper so the bill will not be seen through the envelope. Next, place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes and seal them. What you are doing requesting a legitimate service and you are paying for it! Mail the 6 envelopes to the following addresses: #1) Joe O'Gorman 432 Farm Rd. Arlington, VT 05250 #2) Floyd Scott 145 E. David Dr. 62263#3 S. Asfaha 1700 Four Oaks Rd. #217 Eagan, MN 55121 #4) Ian Robertson P.O. Box 163, Monterey, VA 24465 #5) Ashley Blankenship P.O. Box 153 Monterey, VA 24465#6)Marianne Hoyt; P.O. Box 2352; Holland, MI 49422-2352 STEP2: Now take the #1 name of the list that you see above, move the other names up (6 becomes 5, etc.) and add YOUR Name as #6 on the list. STEP3: Now, post your amended article to at least
200 newsgroups. (there are at least 24,000 groups) All you need is 200, but remember, the more you post, the more money you make! This is perfectly legal!
Keep a copy of these steps for yourself and, whenever you need money, you can use
it again and again. PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful
because of the honesty and integrity of the participants and by their carefully
adhering to the directions. If you are of integrity, the program will continue and the
money that so many others have received will come your way. You may want to
retain every name and address sent to you and keep the notes people send you. This
VERIFIES that you are truly providing a service. So, as each post is downloaded and the directions carefully followed, six members will be reimbursed for their
participation as a List Developer with $1 each. Your name will move up the list so that when your name reaches the #1 position you will be receiving thousands of dollars in CASH! Send it now, add your own name to the list and you're in business!
All you have to do is jump to different newsgroups and post away. YOU HAVE TO
POST A MINIMUM OF 200** That's it! When your name is no longer on the list, you just take the latest posting in the newsgroups, and send out another $6 to names on the list, putting your name at #6 again. And start posting again. Thousands of people
all over the world are joining the Internet and reading these articles everyday so can you afford $6 and see if it works? This plan works because there are tons of new honest users who are joining the newsgroups everyday and are willing to give it a try?
There are 20,000 to 50,000 new users every day.

victorianlily@usa.net

IS 2 a Scam!!

this is a classic pyramid scheme

Re:Not a Scam!!BS

Check out this link to find out why schemes such as this DON'T WORK. http://www.hbba.org/reports/Scams/16.htm
After reading this anyone who participates in such a scheme DESERVES to lose BIG!!
Regards,
Rev

: Easy Money Not A Scam!!

: New York-New York City

: Job Title:
: Easy Money Not A Scam!!

: Job Description:
: I saw this article in a newsgroup saying to send $1 to each of the 6 names and
: addresses stated in the article. You then place your own name and address in the
: bottom of the list at #6, and post the article in at least 200 newsgroups. I figured,
: "What have I got to lose" I invested the $6. Within 7 days, I started getting money in the mail! In my first week, I made about $25. By the end of the second week I had
: made a total of over $1,000! This is now my fourth week and I have made over
: $42,000 and it's still coming in. It's certainly worth $6. Let me tell you how this works
: and WHY it works, make sure you print a copy of this article NOW, so you can get the information off of it as you need it. I promise that if you follow the directions exactly, you will start making more money than you thought possible by doing something so easy! It's legal. And your investment is only $6 (plus postage) This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent,and it is 99% no risk, it works! If all of the instructions are adhered to, you will receive huge dividends. Follow these directions EXACTLY, and $50,000 or more can be yours in 20 to 60 days. This program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of the participants. In this business your product is not solid and tangible, it's a service. You are in the business of developing Mailing Lists. Here are the 4 easy steps to success. STEP1: Get 6 pieces of paper and write the following on each piece of paper "PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR MAILING LIST." Now get 6 US $1 bills and place ONE inside EACH piece of paper so the bill will not be seen through the envelope. Next, place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes and seal them. What you are doing requesting a legitimate service and you are paying for it! Mail the 6 envelopes to the following addresses: #1) Joe O'Gorman 432 Farm Rd. Arlington, VT 05250 #2) Floyd Scott 145 E. David Dr. 62263#3 S. Asfaha 1700 Four Oaks Rd. #217 Eagan, MN 55121 #4) Ian Robertson P.O. Box 163, Monterey, VA 24465 #5) Ashley Blankenship P.O. Box 153 Monterey, VA 24465#6)Marianne Hoyt; P.O. Box 2352; Holland, MI 49422-2352 STEP2: Now take the #1 name of the list that you see above, move the other names up (6 becomes 5, etc.) and add YOUR Name as #6 on the list. STEP3: Now, post your amended article to at least
: 200 newsgroups. (there are at least 24,000 groups) All you need is 200, but remember, the more you post, the more money you make! This is perfectly legal!
: Keep a copy of these steps for yourself and, whenever you need money, you can use
: it again and again. PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful
: because of the honesty and integrity of the participants and by their carefully
: adhering to the directions. If you are of integrity, the program will continue and the
: money that so many others have received will come your way. You may want to
: retain every name and address sent to you and keep the notes people send you. This
: VERIFIES that you are truly providing a service. So, as each post is downloaded and the directions carefully followed, six members will be reimbursed for their
: participation as a List Developer with $1 each. Your name will move up the list so that when your name reaches the #1 position you will be receiving thousands of dollars in CASH! Send it now, add your own name to the list and you're in business!
: All you have to do is jump to different newsgroups and post away. YOU HAVE TO
: POST A MINIMUM OF 200** That's it! When your name is no longer on the list, you just take the latest posting in the newsgroups, and send out another $6 to names on the list, putting your name at #6 again. And start posting again. Thousands of people
: all over the world are joining the Internet and reading these articles everyday so can you afford $6 and see if it works? This plan works because there are tons of new honest users who are joining the newsgroups everyday and are willing to give it a try?
: There are 20,000 to 50,000 new users every day.

: Contact:
: victorianlily@usa.net

westone thunder 1 ////ibanez studio

westone thunder 1 ////ibanez studio

This popular thread has been given its own page : westone thunder 1 ////ibanez studio

New American Series Stratocaster

What's new in the new American Series Stratocaster?!

(http://www.fender.com/electricguitars/strats/americanseries/amerstrat.html)

Re: New American Series Stratocaster

Rumor: Fender is going to discontinue the American Strat.

Re:mexican made std strat 1994-1995

what colors were available in this mid 90's release?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.