Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - July, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

modes

Hi all,
I can't seem to get my head around the use of modes and how, when and where to use them. I have read many articles on this but still haven't seen the light. Frustration is getting worse. Can someone enlighten this lost soul? Many thanks.

Re: modes

Modes are simply names for major scales in each scale step.EXAMPLE(G major)G=1st step,Ionian mode,A=2nd step,
Dorian mode,B=3rd step,Phrigian mode,ect.,ect.Assuming that you already know the pentatonics(+ 1/2 steps)the trick is to relate the major modes to your Blues scales(A minor).The answer lies within the problem,dig it??
Book:Scales & modes for guitar players RON MIDDLEBROOK

: Modes are simply names for major scales in each scale step.EXAMPLE(G major)G=1st step,Ionian mode,A=2nd step, Dorian mode,
B=3rdstep,Phrigianmode,ect.,ect.Assuming that you already know the pentatonics(+ 1/2 steps)the trick is to relate the major modes to your Blues sc(Aminor).The answer lies within the problem,dig it??
Book:Scales & modes for guitar players RONMIDDLEBROOK

Good Luck

: Modes are simply names for major scales in each scale step.EXAMPLE(G major)G=1st step,Ionian mode,A=2nd step,
: Dorian mode,B=3rd step,Phrigian mode,ect.,ect.Assuming that you already know the pentatonics(+ 1/2 steps)the trick is to relate the major modes to your Blues scales(A minor).The answer lies within the problem,dig it??
: Book:Scales & modes for guitar players RON MIDDLEBROOK

"modes" is a derivative of "moods" and means just that. start a scale on each of the different notes, emphasizing that note as a starting and ending point, and feel the difference in mood. that's the basis, but once you mess around, theres more

: Hi all,
: I can't seem to get my head around the use of modes and how, when and where to use them. I have read many articles on this but still haven't seen the light. Frustration is getting worse. Can someone enlighten this lost soul? Many thanks.
I know what you mean! I've been learning the patterns, but I'm kind of scratching my head over how and when to use them. I'd like to hear any simple tips & tricks someone might know.

Wanted: Used Zoom 707

As of July 24, 2000 I'm interested in buying a used 707. 'Can't afford a new one, but if someone has one in good condition with the manual, let me know. If I can get it shipped to me in Ontario, Canada and still have it worth it, we should be able to make a deal.

Cheers, lar

Whats it worth?

Gretch by bigsby
6123 monkees model
serial# 116301

Its in good shape and has the hard case.
just wondering how much it would be worth.

Re: Whats it worth?

I think , around $1200.00.Could be wrong.

I have absolutely no idea how much it's worth but let me tell you, I would pay anything for that guitar!!!! I adore The Monkees and I adore that guitar and I would love it sooooo much!!!!! But first I have to have money! lol hope you get a good price for it loadsa luv Jennifer xxxxxx

: I have absolutely no idea how much it's worth but let me tell you, I would pay anything for that guitar!!!! I adore The Monkees and I adore that guitar and I would love it sooooo much!!!!! But first I have to have money! lol hope you get a good price for it loadsa luv Jennifer xxxxxx If you want to talk to me my email address is Jenny8755@aol.com

: Gretch by bigsby
: 6123 monkees model
: serial# 116301

: Its in good shape and has the hard case.
: just wondering how much it would be worth.

Ya wanna sell it??

is it good for beginner? ESP LTD F-200

Re: is it good for beginner? ESP LTD F-200

They're a little pricey,but ESP makes good stuff,especially for "SHREDDERS".
GO for it !!

I just purcashed an ESP LTD Sp 6strg electric guitar and it plays clean and shreds Im happy with it and Im a beginner.: .

THIS GUITAR KICKS ASS!!!!! I LIT MINE ON FIRE CUZ I ACCIDENTALLY SPILLED GASOLINE ON IT.

Seattle Times Touch Guitar story

Just a note to let you know that the story the Seattle
Times ran the weekend of Paul Allens EMP Guitar opening was
on Dave Bunker, Touch Guitarist. This 10 page story in
there Pacific Northwest magazine section went out to over
a million readers. If anyone wants to go to it heres a link.
http://www.bunker-guitars.com/media_release.html

HAMAN GUITARS

ANyone out there can tell me anything about Haman guitars?? I cannot find anything on the web about them and would like to know what they are about (quality, woods used etc...) thanks a bazillion-

Re: HAMAN GUITARS

: ANyone out there can tell me anything about Haman guitars?? I cannot find anything on the web about them and would like to know what they are about (quality, woods used etc...) thanks a bazillion-

Re: HAMAN GUITARS

Are you sure it is a Haman, and not a Hamer?? Hamer is owned by the Kaman Musical Corp. Hamers are top end, very well built and wonderful sounding instruments, I have a archtop sunburst that is a fantastic alternative to a LP.

HAMAN GUITARS>>>ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THESE???

If anyone can provide ANY info on haman guitars (quality, etc...) I would be MOST appreciative.

Re: HAMAN GUITARS>>>ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THESE???

i don't know much except i remember haman 20/20 and 30/30 model guitars in the local music store. pretty cool!!! i think one was a tele copy. seemed like a good guitar from what i remember. i would buy it.

www.the-crossroads.org

An alternative forum...

Got questions about Vintage Amps, Guitars, Effects, or Mods?

Got Gear you want to Buy, Sell, or Trade for FREE?

Want to adverstise your website for FREE?

Take a trip to "The Crossroads"...

http://www.the-crossroads.org

Need Gear ??????

If U need gear...let`s talk.
E-mail me @ BlackOwl@greatguitar.net

Tokai Jazz bass scratchplate

I need a Tokai scratchplate for my jazz bass. The Fender ones have different screw holes and looks a bit messy. Help

Hagstrom I

I recently aquired a very nice Hagstrom I.
All original, complete w/case,some wear on back of
neck. Red. Plays and sounds great. Interested in
learning more.

Gretsch Guitars

I was wondering if anyone could give me information on Gretsch guitars. I am specifically looking for a country Gretsch, or something along that line. It is really a specific sound I am trying to find. The kind of Rockabilly/wailing Cure sound. Does anybody know of what kind of model or country Gretsch I would need to be searching for, and if so could you tell me what price range I am going to be looking at for a guitar like this. I know the hollow body Gretsch's can run pretty high.

I would appreciate your input.

Re: Gretsch Guitars

You might be referring to the Gretsch "Country Gentleman" model. It's a hollow body guitar made famous by the master, Chet Atkins himself. George Harrison, of the Beatles, was also a user of this guitar. I was just looking through the "Ebay" site yesterday and noticed a "gent" or two for sale. Can't recall exactly what they were asking, maybe in the $900 range. Check it out yourself and see if that's what you're after.

: I was wondering if anyone could give me information on Gretsch guitars. I am specifically looking for a country Gretsch, or something along that line. It is really a specific sound I am trying to find. The kind of Rockabilly/wailing Cure sound. Does anybody know of what kind of model or country Gretsch I would need to be searching for, and if so could you tell me what price range I am going to be looking at for a guitar like this. I know the hollow body Gretsch's can run pretty high.

: I would appreciate your input.

Hey, thanks for your suggestion and info, I never thought of looking on ebay.

Take care!

: I was wondering if anyone could give me information on Gretsch guitars. I am specifically looking for a country Gretsch, or something along that line. It is really a specific sound I am trying to find. The kind of Rockabilly/wailing Cure sound. Does anybody know of what kind of model or country Gretsch I would need to be searching for, and if so could you tell me what price range I am going to be looking at for a guitar like this. I know the hollow body Gretsch's can run pretty high.

Check on ebay!! lots to choose from there.

i'm looking for a hollow body gretsch in fairly good condition for $1000 or less

I have a Gretsch Country Club Model No. 7576 - Natural, with the gretsch case. I took it to a music museum for an appraisal. I was told it was made in the early 1970's and the value is at least $2,000 without the case. I need the money and am selling it with the case for $2,000. If you are interested, please email me. Thanks. P.S. I don't have a digital camera, otherwise I would send a picture. It is in excellent shape. My daughter-in-law has a digital camera, possibly I can get her to take a picture. Is. blond and the neck has mother of pearl square in lays and all the tuning hardware is in gold. It does not have a vibrato, but you can get one and easily put it in. Thanks

: I was wondering if anyone could give me information on Gretsch guitars. i have a dorado#5989 bought in 1972. any ideas on whaat it's worth??

I would like to relocate my old Gretsch Nashville (Orange)
"Chet Atkins". I know it's a longshot. I sold it back in
the mid-70's to some lady at a music shop in Denton, Tx.
She was moving to Florida and had a musical gig lined up
with DisneyWorld.

bridge for 72 Gretsch Annivesary

I have a 72 Anniversary this is in need of a bridge. Gibson bridge wil not work. Doe anyone know where I can find one. Thank

Please Help: don't ignore this message PLEASE!

I was wondering if anyone could belp me out... I have an assessment at school for my finals, and I want to play Ben Harper's Steal My Kisses... Does anyone have a copy of the Bass tab for the song- if so please email me & I'd luv u forever. Also the guitar tab would be useful.
Thanx a lot- Eli

not the answer, just some advice

sorry but i dont know that, but here's what i'd do - search for all his personal tribute pages n stuff and check them out for tabs, also, email the respective authors of the sites and they should help u out.

and by the way, the bass to that song sounds WAY COOL! hehe

its just G-C-D

according to this post...
hope that helps.

http://benharper.net/wwwboard/messages/429.html

Bass Tab for Steal My Kisses by Ben Harper

http://www.basstabarchive.com/cgi-bin/tab.cgi?tab=h/harper_ben/steal_my_kisses.btab

Help with Ben Harper's "Steal My Kisses" needed

Hi - I'm trying to arrange an a capella version of Ben Harper's "Steal My Kisses". I know the chords already, and the bass tab, etc. Does anyone have the guitar tab that SHOWS where he plays the 2nds and the 6ths (for example) in the chords? I'm not looking for the simple chord progressions, but TABLATURE or sheet music, or anyone's musical expertise on this song... Thanks a lot. Aimee

travelling with guitar

I am going to fly from Paris to Sydney with a new bought accoustic guitar. I am going to take it with me in the plane. But what if I had to let the guitar go with all my luggage ?
I know there things to to to protect the guitar from deprssurisation (due to the tension of the strings).
Could someone explain what I have to do ? (for example remove the strings or things like that, I don't know at all).
Thanks in advance.

Re: travelling with guitar

Airlines are terrible with guitars.Take off your strings.Bind the case with duct tape.Lable it "FRAGILE"
Wrap neck with small towel and prey !!

Re: travelling with guitar

Buy a good flight case, there are several companies , one I can think of offhand is Mark Leaf company.

best 12-string guitar?

could anyone tell me what is the best 12-string money can buy, and how much money would it take to buy it?
Chars.

and I meant acoustic

Chars.

Re: and I meant acoustic

: Chars.

The best 12 string you can get is a Taylor 12 string any model. 355s are about 900 bucks, 855s are about 1900 bucks . I would go with the 355.

Re: best 12-string guitar?

I have been stung buy the 12 string bug! I listened to Jimi Hendrix Blues Cd and the 1st song is a 12-string jam! I have been checking them out and by far the Taylor 12 is unbelievable! I have and Ovations 6 and I love their 12s too. Yamaha has a pretty good 12 for like 450 and even their $200 one isn't bad! I'd say go to a store spend about 30 40 mins playing and just pick it. I know I'm gonna save my stones off to get a taylor for 1200. It'll take about 5 years but what the hell! Oh you can get an ovations 12 from 500 and up!

Re: best 12-string guitar?

I like Taylor's, but for my money Martin makes the best 12-string. But it all depends on the sound you want. Martin is by far the better blues 12-string.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW how to find out what kind of ibanez i have

All I know is it is from 1990. I don't know the model or anything.

The Right Hand: Get A Grip, But Not Too Tight.....by Jamey Andreas

"This is an example of the kind of insights to be found at
guitarprinciples.com. This one seems to be simple, but in fact, many
players
are stuck at a certain level of playing because of right hand tension
(even a
little will affect you)........

The Right Hand: Get a Grip, but not too tight....by Jamey Andreas

I am going to be real basic here, and talk about a problem that often
begins
right at the beginning for players, is often overlooked, and takes root
as a
major handicap for future playing. I am talking about the right hand of
the
pick style player.

Here's the point. Most people tend to grip the pick too tight! They have
A LOT
of extra tension in their hand that they don't recognize as tension. It
feels
normal to them. Then, to make matters worse, when they contact the
strings
with the pick, for a note or a strum, they tighten their hand even
more,
without knowing it.
Don't do this! Look at your right hand as you play. Here are two
tip-offs
that you have extra tension: the fingers not holding the pick curl in
to the
hand, as if to make a fist, or the wrist presses itself on to the face
of the
guitar, while the unfortunate guitarist continues to play as well as
they can
under the circumstances. (Another sign will be pressing on the guitar
with
the pinky).

The fingers holding the pick, and indeed the whole right hand, must be
trained to be a sensitive instrument that is always responding to the
needs
of each playing situation. If a harder attack is desired, the hold on
the
pick will increase slightly, but never more than necessary. And you
will
never maintain that extra tension after it is not needed anymore.

For more insight into technical, practice, and development issues,
visit
www.guitarprinciples.com

WASHBURN DIMBAG 333

I am looking for a washburn dimebag darrell 333 dimbolt finish for reasonable price.....no major damage or big scratches

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.