Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - July, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Quality of Epiphpone les paul standards?

I want to buy an epiphone les paul standard but some people have told me that they're not really made out of maple and mahogany, instead they are made out of poplar or some other wood.Is this true. I'd also like to know the quality of their construction.

Re: Quality of Epiphpone les paul standards?

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is some info you need!!! If you want to buy an Epi...remember this you will still need to replace the junk pickups to get a good sound!!! Also if you want to save a few duckets get a Carlo Robelli, they are assemled with the Epi's at the same place. ADVICE!: If you are to get a Les Paul get the Gibson. This is what I have learned from good guitar guru budz. After you get the Epi rplace the pickups and electronics you're 100-200 duckets away from a Gibson. So what I'm gonna do, cause I want a les paula also, is get a used studio or just save the extra and get the new one! Epi's are ok, but! don't confuse them with the Gibsons.

Thanks for your advice Punk-a-Billy. If I did decide to get an Epiphpone should I get the standard or the custom and what kind of replacement pick-ups do you recomend and How muchare they $$$ ?

Now as far as pickups you could probably get some dimarizio pickups for under $200. As far as which guitar I'd go with the custom, but your best bet is just go and plug-em-in at your store and play. Again though, I'd get the gibson. I think the Epi-custom-les is still $700, an extra 200 and you can get a good Gibson Les Paul. Like I said, its tough trust me I know, but I'm saving EVERYPENNY to get a Gibson.

Again thanks alot for your help. Now I'll really have to do some heavy thinking but if you find some good deals on Gibsons could you either post a message here or on my e-mail(markd.kovacs@excite.com).- THANKS

Although i have been a Les paul fan for many years the new gibsons don't seem up to the standard they set in the 50's and 60's. I have an epi and it sounds great but i am going to replace the tuners not the pickups. The body is solid, the tone is great, and the flame top looks amazing the best advice i have is go out and play and buy the one you like. Don't buy a guitar because it says gibson or fender or martin buy a guitar because it sounds good and makes you play well.

: Thanks for your advice Punk-a-Billy. If I did decide to get an Epiphpone should I get the standard or the custom and what kind of replacement pick-ups do you recomend and How muchare they $$$ ?

Firstly, a new Gibby LP standard will run you about
$2000 plus/minus depending on which model ( Std, Classic or my current favorite the Raw Power); you
get spend a lot on pickups with the difference between
the price of an epi and a gibson. A used Gibson might
be more comparable pricewise to an EPi plus pickups
but will still be a lot more ( prices I see where I
live are in the $1000-$1400 used). Now if you went to
a LP Studio you're talking around $1100 new, it's got the same pu's as a Standard but no binding on the body or the neck, smaller inlays.

Pickup-wise epi's are hit or miss, some of them are
ok, some not. I wouldn't automatically replace them
until I lived with awhile. I recently bought a used
Epi LP standard that had a EMG 81 in the bridge and
what turned out to be a stock Epi hummer in the neck.
I had the tech do setup before I took it home and he
thought since the previous owner had replace one pu
he might have replaced the other one because it sounded
pretty good. He pulled the pu and was suprised it was
stock. His comment was "you won't believe it". But he
did say that some of them "have nothing going".

At any rate, I've replaced both pickups with Dimarzio
PAF's ( I already had 'em) and it sounds very nice.
New you should be able to get a pair for about $110
or 120; Seymour Duncan's would run about $30-40 bucks
more a pair probably. I would highly suggest having
the pots and switch replaced at the same time, it'll
make a big difference also.

No idea what a tech would charge for that work, I do
my own ( I'm slow but I get it done :^) ). Ask at a
local shop or two to get the best idea of the prices.

I had a '69 Les Paul Deluxe back in the 70's and while
I'd probably prefer that, for the money I'm happy with
the Epi. But I did play a bunch of Epi's before I finally bit on the one I bought....

Good luck,

Doug

HOW DO YOU TUNE A GUITAR WITH A FLOYD ROSE TREMOLO SYSTEM??

HOW DO YOU TUNE A GUITAR WITH A FLOYD ROSE TREMOLO SYSTEM??

This popular thread has been given its own page : HOW DO YOU TUNE A GUITAR WITH A FLOYD ROSE TREMOLO SYSTEM??

SteveANDERSON guitar #64 (1983)

...Someone is looking for Steve Andersons. This is a beauty and I'll be happy to receive emails about it.

Any help appreciated, trying to self learn due to lack o cash =)

Just bought a new johnson acoustic/electric. Trying to teach myself from the web. Anyone know of any real good teaching web sites? Help would be loved deeply as I am not very musically incline it seems =) Very beginner sites please =)

Re: Any help appreciated, trying to self learn due to lack o cash =)

Try http://www.wholenote.com , free lessons in tab with midi sound, you set the tempo, have fun!
Jim

: Just bought a new johnson acoustic/electric. Trying to teach myself from the web. Anyone know of any real good teaching web sites? Help would be loved deeply as I am not very musically incline it seems =) Very beginner sites please =)

Re: Any help appreciated, trying to self learn due to lack o cash =)

: Just bought a new johnson acoustic/electric. Trying to teach myself from the web. Anyone know of any real good teaching web sites? Help would be loved deeply as I am not very musically incline it seems =) Very beginner sites please =)

You should get a video. I used the Guitar Now video 1 and 2 to get started. It might seem corny but it is a good video for starting out. then I got Fret board Logic it is very helpfull in teaching the fret borad Chords Scales etc. very good video also get the books that go with the videos. and from there pick a certin type of music you would like to play and buy videos on that subj. IE. blues rock country jazz etc. the fret bord logic videos will help out a lot but first start wit Guitar Now. It will give you a good understanding on how to play.

12-String Guitar

I NEED A RESOURCE FOR THE ULTIMATE 12-STRING GUITAR PAGE!!!! NEED ANY HELP BOOKS, SITES ETC.!!! Also anyone got one for sale???? I have developed a 12-string guitar fetish after hearing the Jimi Hendrix blues cd in which the 1st song on the CD is a 12-string jam! I want to buy one, I played a Taylor this weekend and well >>>gulp<<< it was simply unbelievable!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: 12-String Guitar

Well, my advice to you is to go down to your local guitar center or whatever you have, and play all the 12 strings, regardless of price or name, and whichever one you think sounds the best or plays the best, buy it...That's what I always do...I tested 12 strings and was tied between a martin and a guild...the martin was about 1200 bucks tagged, and the guild was tagged at like 800 if i remember right. but i just bought a 1600 6 string, so i won't be getting that any time soon.

I have a 12 string guitar page, it's dedicated to them and people who play 12 string guitars. It has multimedia, pics, artists, and more.

I have a 12 string guitar page, it's dedicated to them and people who play 12 string guitars. It has multimedia, pics, artists, and more.

my URL is:
http://members.tripod.com/~twelvestringer/

Thanx

Thanks to all those who responded.I really do apreciate it.

Great Website

Thanks a lot this web site is truly excellent and the theory guides and stuff like that will really help me with my Grade 5. I'm also learning to play Stairway to Heaven thanks to you. Thanks again and please e-mail me sometime. Thanks Robert Batrick from London, England.

YAMAHA MFC1 MIDI CONTROLLER

please please please- has anyone got a manual for this unit?
I'm desparate !

Re: YAMAHA MFC1 MIDI CONTROLLER

Try Melmusic - Manuals
.......USED.... 44386 BOSS FC-50 MIDI FOOT CONTROLLER...
...44367 ROLAND FC-100MKII MIDI FOOT CONTROLLER MANUAL...
www.melmusic.com.au/Page42.HTML

Re: YAMAHA MFC1 MIDI CONTROLLER

: please please please- has anyone got a manual for this unit?
: I'm desparate !

Try the Yamaha Manual library. You'll need to register yourself. After that you can download almost every Yamaha Manual in PDF.
I bought the FX500 which came with the MFC1 yesterday. I've downloaded the manual from Yamaha(together with the FX500 manual).

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/menu_f.html

Inc...

Carvin DC-400, must sell !!!

My loss is your gain. DC-400, translucent emerald green over quilted maple top (just beautiful) with matching headstock, tremolo bridge, gold hardware, ebony fingerboard with abalone inlay, reverse headstock with Sperzel locking tuners, back of neck has tongue oil finish (very fast and smooth), absolutely like new and in beautiful condition, she's seen very little "action" in the last few years, comes with hardshell case...sacrifice at $600, send e-mail if interested (I'm in the Baltimore area).

Re: Carvin DC-400, must sell !!!

: My loss is your gain. DC-400, translucent emerald green over quilted maple top (just beautiful) with matching headstock, tremolo bridge, gold hardware, ebony fingerboard with abalone inlay, reverse headstock with Sperzel locking tuners, back of neck has tongue oil finish (very fast and smooth), absolutely like new and in beautiful condition, she's seen very little "action" in the last few years, comes with hardshell case...sacrifice at $600, send e-mail if interested (I'm in the Baltimore area).

Did you sell this guitar yet? I ended up at this discussion site looking for something else, but would
probably be interested in this guitar.

Re: Carvin DC-400, must sell !!!

: My loss is your gain. DC-400, translucent emerald green over quilted maple top (just beautiful) with matching headstock, tremolo bridge, gold hardware, ebony fingerboard with abalone inlay, reverse headstock with Sperzel locking tuners, back of neck has tongue oil finish (very fast and smooth), absolutely like new and in beautiful condition, she's seen very little "action" in the last few years, comes with hardshell case...sacrifice at $600, send e-mail if interested (I'm in the Baltimore area).

I am looking for one and email ASAP

Ed Roman

I would recommend that all you guys be careful dealing with Ed Roman. I recently spoke to him about a used Hamer Phantom he had for sal on his site. It had been totally done over by him and he charged $1499 for what should have been a $450 guitar. Worse yet, someone bought it at that price! Roman is well known for doctoring instruments-taking perfectly good stock guitars and changing them, removing flame tops, substituting hardware and pickups, etc. Yeah, his website is great; you can spend hours looking it over, just be careful dealing with him. By the way, all you vintage fans, stay away from Chicago Music Exchange from Chicago! I had a very bad experience over an old Gibson SG I bought there. These guys are not worth dealing with.

better guitar?

I just got my first electric guitar a few months ago, and I had enough of it already, it's a Squier Strat and it's only good at low volumes because the buzzing gets so bad. I'm looking for a guitar that can handle distortion and give off a early 70's and later 80's punk sound. But I'm not really looking for a metal looking guitar just a regular shape like the strat. Can anybody help?
thx,
RED

Re: better guitar?

Here is a site that has kick @SS guitars. You need a Humbucker pick up. That is a main key in getting cool distortion. Well here is the web site www.musicyo.com BUY A KRAMER. KICK @SS GUITARS. TRUST ME NICE GUITARS I OWN ONE. I OWN THE V SHAPE ONE BUT THEY SELL STRAT SHAPED WITH HUMBUCKER PICK UP GUITARS. Hope this helps you.
Brandon

Strat-type guitars are notoriously noisey,and have low output(6k ohms)because of the single coil pick-ups.I would try some of the ibanez models,or humbucking guitar with split-coil ability.There are many to choose,but Ibanez makes good stuff at reasonable prices.Oh yeah,if you like the feel of the squire, you might look at replacment pick-ups(Seymore SCREAMIN'DEMON,LITTLE J.B. ect.,ect)

Strat-type guitars are notoriously noisey and have low output(6K ohms)cause of their single coil pickups.If you like the feel of your squire, look into replacement pickups(Seymore SCREAMIN' DEMON,LITTLE J.B,
HOT RAILS ect.,ect.)Kramer and Ibanez make good guitars
at reasonable prices.

It's probably more than you're willing to spend on a "first time" electric, but please check out my add for the Carvin DC-400. Quality is comparible to any PRS at half the price (new it was $1200). At $600 it's a bargain. Strat' body with reverse headstock.

I'll sell you a white Kramer for 170 bucks. It's already got a hot Seymour Duncan, Floyd trem. It's like a van halen clone - 1 pick up 1 volume, only made for 1 thing - distortion. Plus you can throw it across the room and it will stay in tune! palasics @msn.com (Cleve. Oh.)

adding a pickguard

I bought a new ef508c takamine and have been getting scratches while playing. I am considering adding a pickguard. I need some advice on whether this will hurt the resale value or effect the sound of the guitar. Has anybody ever seen a clear pickguard? The wood is so beautiful on this guitar I almost hate to cover any of it up. Thanks!

Re: adding a pickguard

I TOO BOUGHT A BEATIFUL LTD'99 MOUNTAIN TAKAMINE. I HAD THE SAME CONCERN AS YOU AS FAR AS SCRATCHING THE WOOD. I WENT TO MY LOCAL MUSIC SHOP AND THEY CARRIED CLEAR PICKGUARDS. I BELIEVE IT WAS LESS THAN TEN DOLLARS AND HAD A PEEL AND STICK TYPE BACKING. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE CAREFULL ABOUT AIR BUBBLES. I HAVEN'T NOTICED ANY AFFECT ON THE SOUND OF THE GUITAR, AND I IMAGINE IF YOU WANTED TO REMOVE IT LATER... YOU COULD HEAT IT UP WITH A HAIR DRYER AND TAKE IT OFF. MY WAY OF THINKING WAS IT BEATS SCRATCHING THE WOOD. BY THE WAY... THEY SOUND JUST AS BEAUTIFULL AS THEY LOOK!!!!

Re: adding a pickguard

I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT THERES A GOOD SIGHT THAT GIVES ALOT OF INSIGHT TO ALL TYPES OF GUITAR FIXES. ITS LOCATED AT URL: WWW.FRETS.COM. GO TO THAT SIGHT AND SCROLL DOWN TO DEPARTMENTS AND THE SECTION"OF INTEREST TO MUSICIANS. SCROLL WAY DOWN TO THE SECTION THAT SAYS PICKGUARDS AND THEY EXPLAIN(PICTURES INCLUDED!) HOW TO INSTALL OR REMOVE A PICKGUARD. I LIKED THE TRICK ABOUT PUTTING WATER UNDER THE GUARD BEFORE YOU PUSH DOWN THE GUARD. THEY EXPLAIN THAT THE WATER DISPLACES ANY AIR BUBBLES THAT MAY GET TRAPPED UNDER THE SURFACE. MINE YOU CANT EVEN SEE FROM FIVE FEET AWAY !! GOOD LUCK !

Norma Guitar

Norma Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Norma Guitar

I need help wiring my homebuilt electric

All I want on my guitar is a humbucker (Dimarzio-PAF), a volume knob, and a selector switch (no tone knobs). I want the selector switch to operate only in the bridge position. I want the sound to cut-off once I move the switch (ala EVH "You really Got Me"-solo). I know that he used a Les Paul, but I want to wire my Strat-style guitar as I described. Can anybody help?

Re: I need help wiring my homebuilt electric

: All I want on my guitar is a humbucker (Dimarzio-PAF), a volume knob, and a selector switch (no tone knobs). I want the selector switch to operate only in the bridge position. I want the sound to cut-off once I move the switch (ala EVH "You really Got Me"-solo). I know that he used a Les Paul, but I want to wire my Strat-style guitar as I described. Can anybody help?

It all depends on how the guitar is routed? Is it throught the front, or through the back. Dimarzio, gives instructions, on how to wire the pickup, to the pot. Well you really don't need a toggle switch, what you really want, is a kill switch, that cuts power to the guitar, its something that could be easily screwed up. You should ethier get a book on wiring and soldering, or bring it to a trained tech, and pay a kings ransom. Get the Stewart Mcdonald catalog, at stew-mac.com, they have books, and tools that could help you. Its a very tough job, you have to know what you are doing. By the way, Eddie never recorded with a Les Paul, and he has nevered played live with one. He owns an LP custom, but he keeps it locked away. During his early period, he used a steinberger, a Flying V, Frankenstein (Kramer/Charvel/EDDIE), and a Ibanez Explorer copy, which I believe he used in "You Really Got Me"

Thanks for the advice Ben. You know, Eddie did indeed use a Les Paul live early in his career. I have pics that show this.

:
: Thanks for the advice Ben. You know, Eddie did indeed use a Les Paul live early in his career. I have pics that show this.

Yes I said that I know that Eddie owns an LP custom, but he never used it in the studio. He thought it was to cliche, to use a Les Paul, in a rock group. He went Strat, Les paul, Kramer, all adding up to his Frankenstein

can anybody tell me what i have?

i am totally new at the guitar thing. i recently purchased a secondhand Dunlop HondoII in excellent condition for $60. this isn't the same Dunlop that makes crappy sporting goods, is it? can anybody help?

Re: can anybody tell me what i have?

Idont know if the same dunlop company makes the cheap sporting goods or not, but I do know that dunlop does make some pretty good quality music gear like awsome effects pedals that were used by jimmi hendrix, eric clapton,joe satriani... (Crybaby wah-wah pedal, jimmi hendrix fuzz wah, fuzz face). They also make picks slides and abunch of other stuff.
hope you feel better

pick-ups on squire pro-tone strat?

I got a squire pro tone strat about three years ago and I'm trying to find out what kind of pick ups it has. It sounds great with my marshall amp if i play it clean or distorted. It doesn't give out a really thin sound like the pick ups on the cheap squires. I can't find any information on the pro tone series not even on the fender homepage, so it would be great if someone could help me.

Re: pick-ups on squire pro-tone strat?

The PUs are made of Alnico, so much is clear. I read (on Harmony Central) that it's Alnico V, but there are pickups on the market that use Alnico II (e.g. Seymour Duncan), so one cannot be sure. Apart from that the pickups are standard single coils, with the exception that (judging from the absence of hum in positions 2 and 4), the middles one is a RW/RP type.

Wolf

Re: pick-ups on squire pro-tone strat?

Pro tones were 'high end' squires made in 96/7 by Cort in Korea. I have one and have researched a bit, they were ash bodies with v good necks and reasonably high quality electronics and hardware. Very nice guitars at exceptional value at the time they sold.

how can it ell how old my guitars are??????

Does anybody know of a website that i can type in the serial number and find out the age of my squier strat and my gibson SG?

Re: how can it ell how old my guitars are??????

: Does anybody know of a website that i can type in the serial number and find out the age of my squier strat and my gibson SG?

Well Squires have only been made since 1986, so it some where between that time, and the time you bought it. Gibson.com has info on Gibsons. Gibson has very consistent serial numbers, so you could find out easily. If you want more info, call there 24/7 help line, and somebody could give you enough info to choke a horse.

Napster's Gone! What Now?

What do you think about the recent demise of Napster? What do you think those 20 million users will do now?

Re: Napster's Gone! What Now?

ohh the poor things will actually have to go out and BUY the music! boohoo.

YOU KILLED NAPSTER

studies show napster users buy more music than the average person. napster doesn't discourage music purchases, it encourages it. first of all, unless you have a cable modem like me or the equivilent, it takes forever to download. once it is downloaded, it is an mp3 on your computer. unless you have a CD burner, you can't take it off your computer. so most people are just sampling the music on the computer anyway. many songs i have downloaded off napster have had errors in them, clicking, popping, and noises. you get what you pay for. assume i have a CD burner, and download and make my own CD. i still just have a blank CD, no liner notes, no label. i concede, someone can print their own label, but for the most part, users are sampling music only. When they find something they like they go out and buy it. What the recording industry wants to avoid, if the public finding out that a CD has only one decent song on it, and the rest it filler. They want to maintain the right to sell us worthless garbage. not to mention the quiky and new stuff you can get from napster and no where else. eminem released a bootleg himself on napster. unreleased southpark sounds. anything. dont hate napster, hate metallica. metallica is the judas iscariot of the year 2000. i have spoken

Right On

I had Napster for less then a week.Fuck!!!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.