Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - May, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: i just bought my 1st guitar and need help

Your guitars intonation and string height probably needs to be professionally set up. If you bought this guitar from a music store,bring it back, and shame on them for letting it out the door that way, If you bought it somewhere else, then bring it to a music store and have it done. It may cost a few dollars, but you can't learn to play on an improperly set up guitar.

Re: i just bought my 1st guitar and need help

: Hey

: I just bought my first guitar(Takamine EG-230)and whenever i play the low e string on like the 5th fret it seems to make a buzzing noise. the same thing happens when i strum the high pitched e on the 2nd fret. I not sure if this is normal or if their is something wrong w/my guitar. Iknow it's not a tuning problem though because i have an electronic tuner although it says that its off on those two chords for a weird reason although it says the open string for each chord is right. Please reply if anyone has advice. thanx

First of all,..it's a Tak. (nice guitar! good choice!)
Your problem boils down completely to matters of string set-up and action from the sound of it,..nothing wrong with the guitar itself per se.
The buzzing could happen for several reasons,..ALL of them easily corrected, and probably free if you just bought the guitar and the store stands behind what they sell. (I've done my own guitar and bass tech-work for years,...it's worth learning,..but not a necessity.)
The string "cack" (as in "cacking-out" or buzzing) is either the result of : A) Too much back warp in the neck,...loosen the truss rod slightly to correct, or
B) A high fret or two,...have the store you bought it at give it a fret-dressing to even out fret-heights on the fingerboard,...Don't try it yourself unless you Know what you're doing.

Being as you didn't mention whether the 5th/7th/12th fret harmonics on each string were properly pitched when it's in-tune open,...I doubt it's an intonation problem,..more likely just the fret causing false harmonics where it touches the string and causes the buzzing.
Once you've decided on the guage and type of string you like on your guitar,...it IS a good idea to have the intonation set-up on it via the bridge saddles,...if it's a one piece compensated bridge it's fiddly but still a necessity if you want to be in-pitch all the way up the neck.
Don't worry,..it's minor guitar maintenance no matter what you own, and easily remedied relatively fast and cheaply.

website for lyrics AND music

I'm doing a lot of covers at the moment. I've found plenty of sites with lyrics to pop and rock songs. But is there a site with music or just chords as well?

Re: website for lyrics AND music

I saw your message and I am also looking for those kinds of pages. Did you get any good replies? I would be very thankful if you would send me some URL's.
-Anna

Re: website for lyrics AND music

www.olga.net

use the search engine. it's a music bonanza.

Anyone out there own a SUZUKI guitar?

Anyone out there own a SUZUKI guitar?
Is it consider a fair quality guitar to learn on?
Please give me some commend. Thanks.

Re: Anyone out there own a SUZUKI guitar?

: Anyone out there own a SUZUKI guitar?
: Is it consider a fair quality guitar to learn on?
: Please give me some commend. Thanks.

If there is they wouldn't admit it!
Seriously Grace they would be Ok to learn on if you are the persistent type but they don't make very good guitars.
I am a believer in the idea that we must be inspired by our instrument whether we are learning or are profficient in our playing.
That doesn't mean that you have to go out and buy a $2000 guitar to learn on.
There are lot's of good budget priced guitars around that will give you a good sound and are relatively easy to play Suzuki isn't one of them.

: : Anyone out there own a SUZUKI guitar?
: : Is it consider a fair quality guitar to learn on?
: : Please give me some commend. Thanks.

: If there is they wouldn't admit it!
: Seriously Grace they would be Ok to learn on if you are the persistent type but they don't make very good guitars.
: I am a believer in the idea that we must be inspired by our instrument whether we are learning or are profficient in our playing.
: That doesn't mean that you have to go out and buy a $2000 guitar to learn on.
: There are lot's of good budget priced guitars around that will give you a good sound and are relatively easy to play Suzuki isn't one of them.

So what is your prefered brand, model? I'm in the process of buying my first guitar too. Thanks for the help.

I just found this site and re: Suzuki, I play a Suzuki "3-S". This is a Martin clone with all the same woods and abalone trim. I found it in a pawnshop for $250 and after knocking the dust off saw a beautiful instrument, but when I played it I was amazed. I quickly payed the man and left! I play at various songwriter venues and constantly hear players of Takamine's and Yamaha's and even one Martin player comment on the tone and volume of this guitar. Many have asked to play it. When they see it's a Suzuki they are baffled!The guitar was made in 1979 and apparently was Suzuki's attempt to move into the performance market. I believe they were only made from 1978-1979. So if anyone gets the opportunity to buy one it might be worth checking into as this model is underrated and usually under priced.

I have a Suzuki 3-S date stamped 1976 on inside brace. I have had it since new and have kept it in the closet for years. In the meantime I have owned Gibsons, Marins and finally Taylors. When I got my Susuki out the other night I was amazed as to how it favorably compared to my brand new Taylor 910CE. I could have saved myself a lot of money and time if I had just revisited this sweet little guitar...

: I just found this site and re: Suzuki, I play a Suzuki "3-S". This is a Martin clone with all the same woods and abalone trim. I found it in a pawnshop for $250 and after knocking the dust off saw a beautiful instrument, but when I played it I was amazed. I quickly payed the man and left! I play at various songwriter venues and constantly hear players of Takamine's and Yamaha's and even one Martin player comment on the tone and volume of this guitar. Many have asked to play it. When they see it's a Suzuki they are baffled!The guitar was made in 1979 and apparently was Suzuki's attempt to move into the performance market. I believe they were only made from 1978-1979. So if anyone gets the opportunity to buy one it might be worth checking into as this model is underrated and usually under priced.
I found a Suzuki F-120 guitar. Twelve strings, chrome tuners, redish Mohogany-like back and sides, looks like spruce top, I found it in a flea-market with top broken and glued. It had 6 nylon strings on it and it still wouldn't sell so I paid $40 and got it and a set of strings!!! I reinforced it with epoxy and put 12 strings on it three years ago. It sounds good. Prime feature is how it projects! People tell me that Suzuki makes quality violins. I didn't know they stopped making guitars. Would like to know what year it was manufactured. The sticker says it was made in "Nagoya, Japan". The company, "Suzuki Violin Company, Ltd." was established in "1887". Maybe we'll find out more soon.

I have a 6-string Suzuki W-120 acoustic guitar. I can't find any information about it anywhere! I can find 12-string F-120's, but nothing anywhere about mine! If anyone has any ideas about how old it is, or how much it's worth, please email me!
Thanks.

: I have a 6-string Suzuki W-120 acoustic guitar. I can't find any information about it anywhere! I can find 12-string F-120's, but nothing anywhere about mine! If anyone has any ideas about how old it is, or how much it's worth, please email me!
: Thanks.

Can't really help - but I also have a 12 string suzuki. It looks good quality and very old. It has a very ornate headstock with CF Suzuki & Co in mother of pearl - written in script as per CF Martin. The sticker inside the guitar says Kiso Susuki Violin Co, model 9513 folowed by 00311 which might be a production number. I have been unable o find out absolutely nothing about this guitar - is yours the same. Also waht sources iof information have you found.

I have a Suzuki Classical Mod SC 300c that right now i'm trying to find out about. I bought it brand new in 1975 -was a fac second w/a couple of blems on the finish for about $475.(trying to find the receipt LOL!) Anyway I've always been complemented about the tone(both warm or bright-depending on the strings) & the volumn. I never saw of heard of another Suzuki -just had to followup -good luck!

I bought a suzuke three in California during those dates. It is a beautiful instrument with a nice sound. It has worked well untill recently when it developed a buzz in the bridge.

I own a Suzuki guitar which my wife bought around 1977-79 and I love the sound from it. I dont know the model number or anything.

: : : Anyone out there own a SUZUKI guitar?
: : : Is it consider a fair quality guitar to learn on?
: : : Please give me some commend. Thanks.

: : If there is they wouldn't admit it!
: : Seriously Grace they would be Ok to learn on if you are the persistent type but they don't make very good guitars.
: : I am a believer in the idea that we must be inspired by our instrument whether we are learning or are profficient in our playing.
: : That doesn't mean that you have to go out and buy a $2000 guitar to learn on.
: : There are lot's of good budget priced guitars around that will give you a good sound and are relatively easy to play Suzuki isn't one of them.

: So what is your prefered brand, model? I'm in the process of buying my first guitar too. Thanks for the help.

Don't take any notice of these upstarts telling you what is good and bad. The only things you need for a good steel string acoustic are: Slim neck, fairly low action (Distance between fret and strings) heads that stay in tune, and a reasonable tone. The Suzukis of even 20 years ago were comparable to a Fender F36 Acoustic... perhaps even a bit better. As for Electirics I've played these too and they are as good as any other (Ibanez,Vantage,Washburn) copy.

Andy

: : : Anyone out there own a SUZUKI guitar?
I have one and need to find out what it is worth.
it is a suzuki violin company model s12...
please help
: : : Is it consider a fair quality guitar to learn on?
: : : Please give me some commend. Thanks.

: : If there is they wouldn't admit it!
: : Seriously Grace they would be Ok to learn on if you are the persistent type but they don't make very good guitars.
: : I am a believer in the idea that we must be inspired by our instrument whether we are learning or are profficient in our playing.
: : That doesn't mean that you have to go out and buy a $2000 guitar to learn on.
: : There are lot's of good budget priced guitars around that will give you a good sound and are relatively easy to play Suzuki isn't one of them.

: So what is your prefered brand, model? I'm in the process of buying my first guitar too. Thanks for the help.

I bought a Suzuki Les Paul copy and for the price it is a very nice guitar. Could not find another $200.00 Les Paul copy as nice as the Suzuki for the price. Picked up a Jay Turser Les Paul and it is not near the quality.

I have had a Suzuki w-400 accoustic guitar for between 15 and 20 years. It not only is a beautiful instrument to look at but is beautiful to play. When I bought it the only comparable models in my price range where Yamaha's, but the Suzuki felt better looked better and played better for a similar/better price. Whilst I would now like to 'move up' to a Gibson, it is only because my suzuki is so good that I cannot justify the move up to medium priced guitars as I would be wasting my money for no improvement in sound quality. I would like to find a review of this model because I just love it to bits, this guitar has been my 'best friend' for nearly 2 decades.

Jim Mooney.

Yes, I have a Suzuki (1975 W-300) and am not afraid to admit it. She's very easy to play, and has an incredible voice. I have had her worked on, replacing the saddle with a wider piece of bone along with a few of the frets. She has a very fast action and a great voice. No guitar under $1500 gets close to what she'll do for music. Really serves up the sound!
Once I played a Santa Cruz "Tony Rice" model that felt and sounded as good as my Suzuki, right out of the box, but that guitar was selling for $2700 (discounted from $$3500)! The Suzuki's a righteous piece of firewood, I'd say.
My advice is to look around for one of the 75-76 dreadnought models that has been well cared for. Unfortunately, they're not easy to find, but still well worth the effort.
blues.

: Anyone out there own a SUZUKI guitar?
: Is it consider a fair quality guitar to learn on?
: Please give me some commend. Thanks.

yes - i do
i have a martin D45 copy - about 30 years old, i had to reglue the bridge on and now it is great
i also have a gison a series copy mandolin - the finger board has come away from the neck and a luthyer is presnrtly fixing it
both instrument have solid timbers and considereing they arte 30 yrs old are in great condition and play and look beautiful....

Well Grace, I picked up a Suzuki w-150 recently s/h. It was knocked around a bit but when I cleaned it up I was pleased with what I saw. When I put a set of new strings on it, I was delighted! I adjusted the action by lowering the bridge saddle and the neck fits like a glove. Better yet, the tone was equivalent to or better than much more expensive guitars. I paid under $100 at a local fleamarket for this guitar and I feel real guilty that I paid so little. Don't go paying thousands of dollars for a "better quality" acoustic until you can afford to do so. If you are happy with the guitar you have and the tone you getting from it and it satisfies your needs now, hang on to it. You will know when it's time to "upgrade". Cheers.

Musicians chat

Does anyone know of any good musicians chat sites.One with
real musicians and not a bunch of kidz talk`in about nothing?

Re: Musicians chat

I've got a bunch of them listed on the Links page of my website that I find useful as a guitarist.

Check them out at http://www.bensnet.fsnet.co.uk

Regards

Ben

Re: Musicians chat

Ben; Thanx 4 the hook up

Re: CD DUPLICATIONS!

Great Deals are happening at Uptown Recording Studio! Get 1000s CD's for 79cents! Call for details! 877-376-CDRS

Re: Musicians chat Try WWW.Muses Muse

: Does anyone know of any good musicians chat sites.One with
: real musicians and not a bunch of kidz talk`in about nothing?

Backing track - sync problem!

I have made backing tracks
of commercial songs in order to play guitar
and sing along with live.

But - not all songs have a continuous backing
track all the way through. Some songs have
just guitar and vocals unaccompanied with
other instruments only kicking in mid song.

The way I have been getting round this is
to use a click track to give me an idea of
the songs tempo. This is really annoying
though for the audience to listen to the
whole 1-2-3-4 thing all the time.

Is there any way of kicking the backing track
in manually, by a foot switch connected to
a cd-player or something?

Re: Backing track - sync problem!

What I'd suggest is using some sequencing software like Cubase or Cakewalk and setting everything up to sync. with midi.

This way you could send the click track to your onstage monitors but not to the house PA so only you hear it.

Hope this helps some.

Ben

http://www.bensnet.fsnet.co.uk

leftgtar

Attention Lefties,parents &friends of Lefties...Check out the Acoustic Guitar Conversion Kit at www.leftgtar.com
This is a revolution for left-handed players.

What do you think about the Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5?

What do you think about the Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5?

This popular thread has been given its own page : What do you think about the Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5?

Recruiting Suggestions

What have you found to be the most effective method to recruiting musicians? I am in a position that I need to find a rhythm guitarist/backup singer...I'm in a fairly large market (Chicago), and I imagine the work will be overwhelming unless I find a way to weed out the underqualified early. My band has just been booked at a local bar through December, so it's important that I do this quickly...suggestions? Thanks.

Joe

P.S. If you are a guitarist based out of the south side/south suburbs of Chicago, you know some music theory, have your own equipment, like rock/funk/blues, and are willing to commit to 2-3 nights per week, I'd like to talk to you. Email me at gofish@abac.com. We aren't looking for a lead man, so if that's your interest, you should look elsewhere.....please forward this message...

Re: Recruiting Suggestions

Try ringing some guitarshops in your area that have a Teaching School, often the teachers may be looking for a gig, some might even offer to help you out on a temp basis. The teachers are trained and most have a gigging background, good luck in your search.

Chris
http://www.1800instruments.com
Australia's On-Line Guitar Shop

: What have you found to be the most effective method to recruiting musicians? I am in a position that I need to find a rhythm guitarist/backup singer...I'm in a fairly large market (Chicago), and I imagine the work will be overwhelming unless I find a way to weed out the underqualified early. My band has just been booked at a local bar through December, so it's important that I do this quickly...suggestions? Thanks.

: Joe

: P.S. If you are a guitarist based out of the south side/south suburbs of Chicago, you know some music theory, have your own equipment, like rock/funk/blues, and are willing to commit to 2-3 nights per week, I'd like to talk to you. Email me at gofish@abac.com. We aren't looking for a lead man, so if that's your interest, you should look elsewhere.....please forward this message...

Your own sound

I have many emails from budding guitar players asking advice on achieving their own
sound. Whilst a certain amplifier and guitar will probably give you a sense of achieving
that, it's by no means the answer. (by the way I like Marshalls!)
Learn from yourself, because you actually hold the key to it. OK, it's great to sound like
Hendrix or Stevie and I may add takes a hell of a lot of talent to do this, but
unfortunately it won't get you very far in the big game.

Hendrix & Stevie were successful because they had their own thing happening.

Start taping every jam you have, whether it's practising along with a backing track or
with a band. Listen to it the next day as you will discover 1 or 2 riffs you played "by
accident" that you didn't pick up on at the time - learn those accidents.
Do this continously and you will start to "catalouge" a series of your own riffs to use for
your improvisations.

You will find you will start moving away from the "you gotta use this new amp or
pedal...you'll sound like Hendrix" syndrome (usually hyped by clever marketing
professionals) and start discovering yourself as an individual player on the field, thus
giving yourself an edge.

Appreciate and respect the great guitar players you admire, but search for your own
thing.

Kind Regards
RobTog
http://www.mp3.com/robtognoni

Re: Your own sound

Great post. I have some thoughts on the issue that I'd like to share...

I would argue that the only way to develop your own sound in music is to see what others before you have done. Most people start as imitators of several artists, but eventually these ideas fuse into a vocabulary that is uniquely 'them.'

A parallel can be drawn in learning to public speak. Speech students watch the masters (JFK, Jesse Jackson, Martin Luther King, Jr., etc.), and see what mannerisms and tendencies they have that make them good speakers. Student imitates these things, then incorporates them.

The other point is that 'sound' in terms of choice of amp, effect, etc., and 'sound' in terms of musical vocabulary are not the same thing. I could play through a rig identical to Wes Montgomery's, but there is no way in HELL I would ever sound like him...

I started as a heavily SRV, Jimi, EVH influenced guitarist. Today if you heard a solo you might say "I can tell he's influenced by [insert famous guy's name here]," but I'd never be pegged as an imitator. That's part of the maturing process...You learn to play what you hear, and then it becomes a part of you that is less tangible then a set of notes or numbers or whatever, and it becomes enmeshed with all the other 'stuff' you've learned.

In fact, at this point, I do most of my learning on guitar AWAY from the instrument. My chops are about where I want them to be at the moment, so most of the time I just think about playing...new solo ideas, new chord progressions, etc...

Subtle differences, perhaps, and I don't mean to offend or start a fight...just my perspective. Thanks for listening.

I agree with your comments about picking up on the little accidents in your playing and on this basis here is my new practice routine ;-)

Warmup 10 minutes - Place my hands in a freezer. (I find this helps cultivate the mistakes in my playing.

15 minutes - Bum notes ( Cram as many bum notes into 15 minutes as is humanly possible ). If I play a good note then I must start from scratch. I'ts no use just leaving it in or I will come to accept good notes as part of my practice routine.
15 minutes - Fumbling and dropping my plectrum.

Etc, etc.

No seriously a good post by Rob, I just couldn't resist taking the p£ss.

It is often the bits I play when I'm not thinking about it too much that surprise me.

Regards

Ben

just go with how you feel

The G string-sit a bit back or a bit forward on the bridge?

Hi,

i'm new here. I'm wonderring. Should the G string on a guitar sit a bit back or a bit forward on the bridge (nut, saddle, whatever it's called?). I say back. Am I wrong? Please help me. Silly question. But thanks in advance.

Sincerely
Harpo

Re: The G string-sit a bit back or a bit forward on the bridge?

: Hi,

: i'm new here. I'm wonderring. Should the G string on a guitar sit a bit back or a bit forward on the bridge (nut, saddle, whatever it's called?). I say back. Am I wrong? Please help me. Silly question. But thanks in advance.

: Sincerely
: Harpo

I think you are talking intonation. Thier is never a right question of where it sits. The guitar is made of wood, so the intonation is not exact on every guitar, you should ethier learn how to check the intonation, or send it to the shop

New Tremolo Invention

Just thought some of you might be interested to know that I have invented a tremolo that blows the Floyd Rose completely away! I am trying to get Peavey to work with me on the invention. Peavey has a better web site now and a good forum so if you get a chance and have the time post a question to me and maybe I can get so notice from Hartley.
I have shown the New Prototype ( which works great) to some friends and the response has been very good!
Next step is to make one that is closer to the final product. Which I just ahppen to know how to do!

Nicks & Scratches

Is there a secret to getting nicks out of an acoustic flattop without causing damage? Is it with a wet cloth and ironing board? If done professionally, how much should I pay to have someone take nicks/scataches out?

Re: Nicks & Scratches

I don't know about getting scratches out, but i do know how to get them in. (play a lot) as far as i am concerned, wear and tear give a guitar character. i guess my advice would be to leave the scratches in. But maybe i'm just being eccentric ?

: Is there a secret to getting nicks out of an acoustic flattop without causing damage? Is it with a wet cloth and ironing board? If done professionally, how much should I pay to have someone take nicks/scataches out?

Just like freckles and scars on your own body, nicks and scratches become part of your guitars charater through time. Although we all feel the pain the first time we drop a harmonica on a flattop or bang into a mic stand, it isd who we are. Take a good look at Stevie Ray Vaughns Strat sometime.

: Is there a secret to getting nicks out of an acoustic flattop without causing damage? Is it with a wet cloth and ironing board? If done professionally, how much should I pay to have someone take nicks/scataches out?

Just like freckles and scars on your own body, nicks and scratches become part of your guitars charater through time. Although we all feel the pain the first time we drop a harmonica on a flattop or bang into a mic stand, it isd who we are. Take a good look at Stevie Ray Vaughns Strat sometime.

Just like freckles and scars on your own body, nicks and scratches become part of your guitars charater through time. Although we all feel the pain the first time we drop a harmonica on a flattop or bang into a mic stand, these little blemishes make our axes unique and real. Take a good look at a picture of Stevie Ray Vaughns Strat sometime, Now thats Character !

Dr.Ducks Ax Wax will turn them into beauty marks ...
http://www.ducksdeluxe.com

Enjoy ...

yo mama

yo mama is so hairy they filmed gorillas in the mist in her shower

Does the the BOSS GT3 make any NOISE or HUM when hooked up to the AMP

Does the the BOSS GT3 make any NOISE or HUM when hooked up to  the AMP

This popular thread has been given its own page : Does the the BOSS GT3 make any NOISE or HUM when hooked up to the AMP

1000s of FREE guitar and bass tabs!

visit http://www.electrifieds.com for 1000s of FREE guitar and bass tabs.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.