Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - May, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: head schematic bass 3530

Please help me. Schematic Marschall bass head 3530.
Thanks

Book value

Where can i get the current "book" value of a 1962 Gretch model 6192, country club, sunburst finish with hard case.?

Re: Book value

: Where can i get the current "book" value of a 1962 Gretch model 6192, country club, sunburst finish with hard case.?

I would suggest that you look to a local music store specializing in used instruments. They have pricing guides for many, many brands...even low end, imported names...I'm sure a name like Gretch would appear in most pricing guides. They'll be able to help you.

FG-200D & FG-470S

: Where can i get the current "book" value of a early 1980 Yamaha FG-200D and an early 1980 Yamaha FG-470S.

A Trey Sound?

I am trying to set up my rig to get a Trey Anastasio sound. As Im currently playing through a solid state amp (Fender Ultimate Chorus), I know the first step is getting a tube amp. I currently have one Tube Screamer, (I know Trey uses 2 and a bunch of other things). I am considering a Fender Hot Rod Deville, but the Peavy Classic 50 seems to give a warm, clean tone. Any thoughts on these or other amps?? I think Trey uses Fender Deluxe Reverb amps. Im not trying to "copy" him, but his tone is so buttery!!!

Re: A Trey Sound?

: I am trying to set up my rig to get a Trey Anastasio sound. As Im currently playing through a solid state amp (Fender Ultimate Chorus), I know the first step is getting a tube amp. I currently have one Tube Screamer, (I know Trey uses 2 and a bunch of other things). I am considering a Fender Hot Rod Deville, but the Peavy Classic 50 seems to give a warm, clean tone. Any thoughts on these or other amps?? I think Trey uses Fender Deluxe Reverb amps. Im not trying to "copy" him, but his tone is so buttery!!!

I just bought a Deville. I love it. I'm not as familiar with Trey's sound as some others, but I do know that the Deville has a great, crystal clear clean channel and some screamin' overdrive. Great sustain, great articulation....all the subtleties of playing are really brought out by the Deville (in my opinion). I suggest the 4x10 over the 2x12...lots more punch and articulation in the 410.

Re: A Trey Sound?

What kind of guitar do you have....You want something with sustain. This is easiest by a 'neck through' guitar like a Les Paul, strat or any semi hollow body etc... Then just get any powerful tube amp. I have a fender Reissue black face Vibrolux. 2 Ten inch speakers. I have a heritage 535 semihollowbody and for over drive I use a Boss yellow pedal. Also I have a Qtron and Memory man. By using the pre amp in the memory man I can saturate my sound and when the over drive is on I can sustain until the cows come home and even until they decide to go back out again. Go to www.GuitarGeek.com and look up trey's sound...they should have it labled from ax to amp.

SLAB BOARD

Reading guitar advertisements I have stumbled across the term fitted with slab board can anyone explain this guitar terminology which has got me beaten. Thank-you SANDY

Re: SLAB BOARD

: Reading guitar advertisements I have stumbled across the term fitted with slab board can anyone explain this guitar terminology which has got me beaten. Thank-you SANDY

All the fingerboards used today are slab boards, except for one piece necks with skunk stripe
at the back.
I understand that at one time Fender had used some fingerboards, which were veneered on.

Best regards,
Gulab Gidwani

Lead + rhy. guitarist in Illinois looking for metal drummer and bassist

Just as the subject says... Not much more.
I live in algonquin, the northwest part of il.
we play mostly metallica, ozzy, pantera, and most
80's metal GOOD bands. drop me a line if you're a drummer
or bassist looking for two great guitarists. (not meaning
to oversell ourselves, but hey...gotta say something good
about us, 'cause WE ARE!!!)
Send me an e-mail @ metalmassacre@hotmail.com, and
give me your info and likes/dislikes, equipment, and age.
we're both 17. not looking for people over 20 or 21. must
have good equipment and skills.
we need you guys!! PLEASE!!! just someone to jam with,
and a bassist that'll actually play along! (ref. to prev.
bassist... :) anyway, you guys wouldn't get it. please,
mail me.

-MetalMassacre

Im a newbie - don't kill me :) - need some advice

Hey im going to learn how to play guitar, more specifically eletric guitar (Hard rock style :) my fingers are going to be sore for a while hehehe). What do your recomend for a good guitar in the $300-$400 range, also what books do your recomend as good beginer books?

Re: Im a newbie - don't kill me :) - need some advice

: Hey im going to learn how to play guitar, more specifically eletric guitar (Hard rock style :) my fingers are going to be sore for a while hehehe). What do your recomend for a good guitar in the $300-$400 range, also what books do your recomend as good beginer books?

I think the book that taught most of the people I talk to, esspecially myself, is the Mel Bay book. I hated that thing, but I learned how to play "Tenting tonight" with it. Good guitar in that range esspecially for a begginer is a Mexican Strat, it will do you good for a while, and will have you set until you are ready to get another one. Epiphone makes some cool guitars in that range. The Epi G-400 comes to mind. Very cool SG copy. Oh also the Danelectro Hodad, is a good one. Go to your local store and check a few out

I would reccommend that you get a epiphone before looking at strats.
If you are wanting to play the hard rock style you cannot beat that.
The fender single coils will give you a thinner sound and a little bit quacky.
I use my fender for songs that I need to have good control of my distortion level on. BUt for everything else that I need to be thick, bassy and nasty, I use my Epi les Paul. If you want a good quality guitar that you can keep do not by a Danelectro (they are crappy!) their tone is not very bassy and you will probably have to get a really good amp or effects processor to make it have some versatile tone.
My suggestion is a Epiphone Les Paul. I have had mine for 3 years and she is very faithful.

: : Hey im going to learn how to play guitar, more specifically eletric guitar (Hard rock style :) my fingers are going to be sore for a while hehehe). What do your recomend for a good guitar in the $300-$400 range, also what books do your recomend as good beginer books?

Dude, I'm a whore for Ibanez guitars. They are fast, comfortable,and sound great too. You get a lot of guit for your money. Don't forget though that with most guitars, like everything else, you get what you pay for. Talk to the guys in your local guitar shop. Look at used guit's available there. Play them before you buy and be certain that it FEELS right and most importantly that it SOUNDS right for what you want to accomplish.

Derek;
While U`re looking @ books, check out the Guitar Grimoire series. Check out your local pawn shops 4
guitars, U`d be surprised what U will find there.
Get yourself a can of tennis balls 2 squeeze
One of my Pop`s old secrets 4 hand strength.
And also a set of Chinese excercise balls 4
control and dexterity.

PE@CE&HAPPY JAMM`IN
Black Owl

Looking for a new guitar

I was looking for suggestions on what my new guitar should be. I am looking for a guitar that can play a decent clean tone. What I am especially looking for is a guitar than can handle heavy distortion and possibly metal distortion. Any ideas??

new guitars

: I was looking for suggestions on what my new guitar should be. I am looking for a guitar that can play a decent clean tone. What I am especially looking for is a guitar than can handle heavy distortion and possibly metal distortion. Any ideas?? Oh Man, new guitars make my nipples hard. Try "RockAuction.com" a good number of new and used guitars and plenty of brands to choose from between $300 and $500. It'll give you plenty of ideas

Re: Looking for a new guitar

Hi why don't you check this site http://www.razmo.tmfweb.nl/ it has lots of info and photo's

Can I learn from books and videos?

I was wanting to know if I really need to take private lessons to learn how to play guitar. I have never played one in my life and I was wanting to know if i could learn from books and videos.
If so what are some good books and videos?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO KC

Re: Can I learn from books and videos?

: I was wanting to know if I really need to take private lessons to learn how to play guitar. I have never played one in my life and I was wanting to know if i could learn from books and videos.
: If so what are some good books and videos? i remember how much i hated lessons -- in 1969 --- it seemed the teacher just strung things along, never getting anyplace -- i had no desire to read music, still don't . i assume you want to play rock guitar ! this advise would be wrong for a jazz dude !! i would take lessons for 6 mo. or a year, just to learn the basics that you are not going to get anywhere else --------- then learn by JAMMING !!!!! there are some great tab books, and some that sux -- reccommend books by hal leonard, armadillo publications -- i hate mel bay books !!! don't get discouraged, it takes 5 years to really be able to play!

: THANKS FOR ANY INFO KC

Dear KC --
This is an excellent question. I can't slam books because I publish guitar instruction books. However, I write them with my teacher. My studies with Jim Crimmins have been instrumental to me, and have sold me on the idea of having a teacher.

One thing we stress in ROCKIN' JIMMY'S DAILY GUITAR WORKOUT is that it is important to have a teacher. A very accomplished musician, particularly one whose playing you admire, can add immeasurably to your progress. The stimulation they provide, the feedback, the interaction -- all will help you fully realize your potential. Working only with books and videos is a one-way street -- you never know what you may be doing incorrectly or what opportunities you are missing.

Think of it this way -- you can never learn from a book or video, but only from the person who developed that book or video. And these forms of communication are not as effective as personal attention.

Even if lessons are infrequent, they can help you stay focused and grow as a musician. Often, however, lessons are scheduled too frequently, and the student doesn't have the time to completely master what was taught previously. This can contribute to frustration involved in the learning curve.

The important thing -- develop a mix that works for you.

Sincerely,
Charles Rathmann
www.rathmanncomm.com
http://charlesrathmann.iuma.com

: I was wanting to know if I really need to take private lessons to learn how to play guitar. I have never played one in my life and I was wanting to know if i could learn from books and videos.
: If so what are some good books and videos?
: i WANT TO DOWNLOAD SOME SCALES USE BY SLASH WITH MP3
: THANKS FOR ANY INFO KC

Hohner Arbor LW400N

Hohner Arbor LW400N

This popular thread has been given its own page : Hohner Arbor LW400N

what pickups for Fender Strat copy?

Wondering if you could help me or send me information about
guitar customisation. I am trying to customise my guitar,
it's a Fender Strat. copy ( a really cheap one ) and am
wondering what types of pick ups would be most advisable to use.
I am after a heavy/powerful sound which would suit both
lead and rhythm in a hard rock band. The sound which I am
going for would have to be fairly versatile
but along the lines of "Alice in chains playing Stone Temple
Pilots covers". If you could get back to me it would be great.
Thanx from PETR: petr@somethingorother.com

Re: what pickups for Fender Strat copy?

To start with play your guitar unplugged and listen to other expensive guitars unplugged at a guitar store. If yours sounds bad unplugged, I wouldn't waste time/energy on it. "You can't polish a turd". Also the amp is extremely important to tone. A $2000 Paul Reed Smith will sound bad on a crappy pv. If the guitar sounds good acoustically, you can get a decent pickup starting at $50 through mail order (american musical supply, etc. check out links}. I put a Seymour Duncan in my Japenese Fender and it sounds great. I have also heard that the fender srv's (texas specials) are cool too ($50). Changing pickups is actually an easy job. The pain is in getting the pickguard off. You'll get a heavier/bassy sound with humbuckers and a clearer (although you can muddy it up) and more dynamic sound with single coils. With single coils you can play softer and then hammer the guitar during a chorus and it will go much louder and distorted and can be more energetic. I would play some guitars with both humbuckers and single coils and see what you like. But don't spend a lot of money at a store for pickups, they are usually marked up quite a bit. I hope this helps, if you have any questions you can e-mail me. Greg

Re: what pickups for Fender Strat copy?

I agree with not buying new pickups for a crappy guitar, however if you want new pickups for a decent price with easy installation, check out EMG's. They come pre-wired on a pickguard and sound great. Since your guitar is a Strat copy, the pickguard should fit.

who made flying V ?

http:members.aol.com/chumloat/twinv.JPG this will show you one hell of
a guitar, a twin neck flying V, this baby has everything except for a
clue who made it??? schaller tuners, ebony fretboard, ablone block
inlay, neck binding, 12/6 string, PAF for 6 string, Bartolini for 12
string, Orginal Floyd Rose tremelo on 6 string. mirrored truss rod
covers, very hot out put. Any idea who made this excellent guitar,
lighter than a Les Paul, plays very very well. Thanks for any help
Chumgod: acidtrip@innercite.com

Re: who made flying V ?

my guess would be either jackson or ESP since they do customs just about anyway imagineable

but more than likely jackson

Re: who made flying V ?

There's no way it could be esp, they're a cheap japanese knock-off company. Also, the Flying V has been around longer then Jackson was started. My guess is Gibson.

want info on Ampeg Rocket 2 single channel combo

want info on Ampeg Rocket 2 single channel combo

This popular thread has been given its own page : want info on Ampeg Rocket 2 single channel combo

I need help

Can you please help me i'm looking for a site where i can learn country tabs and also lyrics aswell me and my freind want to enter a country talent quest but we need the tabs and songs please help

Re: I need help

Amy: I don't know a particular site to send you to, but I generally have really good luck using detailed search strings on www.dogpile.com. For example, if I were looking for
a Mary Chapin Carpenter song, I'd enter as a search { +"Mary Chapin Carpenter" +"End of My Pirate Days" +"Tab" +"Lyrics" -"sale" ] Then Dogpile doeas a search, weeds out the sites
that want me to buy a music book (or sheet music), and shows me what(if any) is left. It's time-consuming, but it usually works.

There's a Caveat, however - if you transcribe anything, be sure to post it on the web SOMEWHERE, so the next time some other musician needs it, they can get to it! :)

washburn or etc..?

I have money about 600 $.I want guitar have sound like
Pentera.Please consult me .

Re: washburn or etc..?

last month i bought a $300.00 dimebag darrell washburn i cant say i was very happy with it because there was something wrong with it. other than that i can tell you that just the guitar is not going to get the pantera sound it played good but it was very bulky the head stock suprised me because it was huge. i like the 11 gauge strings because of the heavier sound, i didnt like where the volume and tone controls were because of my picking style i kept hitting the knobs and turning the volume down when i played. over all its an ok guitar for 399.99 right now i play a gibson epiphone les paul for the money i think its a better guitar. i ordered from musicians friend so if you dont like it you can send it back. maybe i gave a little help or you just listened to me bitch a little while. good luck

I'm a moron. Explain Stairway To Heaven.

I'm a moron. Explain Stairway To Heaven.

This popular thread has been given its own page : I'm a moron. Explain Stairway To Heaven.

music man

I have a MusicMan 210 combo 65 watt with a low power switch and a 4&8 ohm switch. My questions; what is the low power wattage rating;and should I be running 4 or 8 ohms when using the 2 10s that are in the amp.

string wedging on my guitar

the last couple of days while ive been playing my epiphone lespaul the little e string has been getting wedged under the frets below the guitar whats up with that

Re: string wedging on my guitar

i got a gibson sg and i had the same prob. i just lowered the neck pickup till it was near level with the scratch plate. I don't use that pickup much, but if you do, it adds to the tone, making it sound pretty nice and mellow. so try that.

Soapbar Pickups

I have an i banezx js700 guitar with 2 soapbar pickups.
however, i want to change them to humbucker, preferably emg 61 and 81. Can anyone tell me if i can fit them or if there are any other humbucker alternatives which would fit a JS700 soapbar?

Re: Soapbar Pickups

i just put a seymour duncan P-90 stack in my ibanez les paul jr. copy and it screams. i wired it in series and it sounds like a humbucker,really cool

metalliSUCKSBIGDICK

First they are greedy enough to go after Napster (like anyone fucking cares if they lose a little cash out of there millions) And now they are pathetic enough to sell out and do a sound track for MI2 which blows...I think metalliSUCKS fans should sue them for being fucking sell outs.....Fuck there stupid asses....It's not like they're good anymore anyway.....fucking fags can suck my fucking CUM.

Re: metalliSUCKSBIGDICK

Awe... diddums...there there. Oh! and that is not the only way to spell there.
stick with school for a little while yet.
regards
Brian

The wheat and the tares -

( the good and the evil - Matthew 13:37-43 in the bible)are being seperated. The wheat grow into more good and the tares are becoming more and more evil so the angels will be able to know wich are wheat and wich are tares. Next time maybe you could just say - "I dont like Metallica anymore" and leave it at that.

Dude -

I cant scare a guy without givin him an answer too - look up John 3:16 and Acts 2:21 in the bible - if you care - so you can be "wheat" and you wont be burned up with the "tares". He he he he he

AMPHEAVEN

DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM AMPHEAVEN!! THEY RIP YOU OFF!!

Re: AMPHEAVEN

: DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM AMPHEAVEN!! THEY RIP YOU OFF!!
if you,ve been ripped off by any amp company in HULL,
YORKSHIRE ,UK, THEN REPORT IT IN WRITING TO;THE TRADING
STANDARDS OFFICE,2ND FLOOR KINGSTON HOUSE,BOND ST,HULL,HU13ER,ENGLAND.

:

This is a totally untrustworthy company: stay away from them.

: DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM AMPHEAVEN!! THEY RIP YOU OFF!!
: if you,ve been ripped off by any amp company in HULL,
: YORKSHIRE ,UK, THEN REPORT IT IN WRITING TO;THE TRADING
: STANDARDS OFFICE,2ND FLOOR KINGSTON HOUSE,BOND ST,HULL,HU13ER,ENGLAND.

:I was ripped off by Marcus as many others. I suggest a legal action against him. I hope he will close his fuckin' business. Please contact me if you want to joint me in this crusade against this piece of shit.

DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM AMPHEAVEN!! THEY RIP YOU OFF!!

Epiphone Les Paul LP-3/PW Seen One? Cost?

Same body as other Epi LP, Steinbergen whammy, but with
two vc's and one hummer. nice guitar but the vender is
asking $400.00. Seems too high to me. Need more info.
Can you help?

Re: Epiphone Les Paul LP-3/PW Seen One? Cost?

: Same body as other Epi LP, Steinbergen whammy, but with
: two vc's and one hummer. nice guitar but the vender is
: asking $400.00. Seems too high to me. Need more info.
: Can you help?

I have an Epiphone les paul black beauty with two vc's and humbucker and paid £200
in london

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.