Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

envelope filter

this is an old fashioned gadget that produces a wah-type sound for each note. i think DOD still makes one.

i'm pretty sure that's what jerry used on songs like "feel like a stranger" and "slipknot".

wave recording problems

I`m having problems recording to wave files,the quality
is very poor, loss of treble , very dull sound, this happens when `i`m recording at 44100 mhz, if i record
at 4800mhz the sound is perfect, but i then cant transfer to CDR because its the wrong format, i have
only 24mb ram processor 200mhz k6-2 please help

Re: wave recording problems

: I`m having problems recording to wave files,the quality
: is very poor, loss of treble , very dull sound, this happens when `i`m recording at 44100 mhz, if i record
: at 4800mhz the sound is perfect, but i then cant transfer to CDR because its the wrong format, i have
: only 24mb ram processor 200mhz k6-2 please help

What's your software dude?
and PC card?

Re: wave recording problems

: : I`m having problems recording to wave files,the quality
: : is very poor, loss of treble , very dull sound, this happens when `i`m recording at 44100 mhz, if i record
: : at 4800mhz the sound is perfect, but i then cant transfer to CDR because its the wrong format, i have
: : only 24mb ram processor 200mhz k6-2 please help

: What's your software dude?
: and PC card?

Re Wave problems
My software is windows 98 on board yamaha
soundcard 8738AM PCI sound PRo wave recorder
full duplex playback and recording 16bit codec
suports legacysoundblaster 16 , if i add a new
sound card , it disables my on board modem, so
i am not keen to try this, i have tried other
wave recorder software but the problem remains
the, the system requirements that my audio
software needs is 200MHz CPU 8MB ram
i cant under stand why recording at 4800khz
sounds better than 44100khz ?

i have wave recording problems

: : I`m having problems recording to wave files,the quality
: : is very poor, loss of treble , very dull sound,and the sound appear as if it comes from a far room or far place,i'm using the pcm formate,but really i don't know if it is the best formate to use or not. this happens when `i`m recording at 44100 mh,my softwrae is jet-audio also i have music match but it is an old version,so which soft ware of them is the best,and what r the configrations that i should make,and what is the best formate ???
really i need ur help thanks a lot

Thanks guys

Keith, I live in a small town in Maine. The "Tele" is in great shape, and the former owner wanted to trade for a "strat" Everything original. Still Ok?

Thanks guys

Keith, I live in a small town in Maine. The "Tele" is in great shape, and the former owner wanted to trade for a "strat" Everything original. Still Ok?

Re: Thanks guys

: Keith, I live in a small town in Maine. The "Tele" is in great shape, and the former owner wanted to trade for a "strat" Everything original. Still Ok?

Consensus seems to be to buy it - but check if its a US-made model. Fenders manufactured outside the USA command lower prices, rightly or wrongly. Have fun.

Mesa Boogie Studio Series Class "A" tube amp.

Mesa Boogie Studio Series Class "A" tube amp.

This popular thread has been given its own page : Mesa Boogie Studio Series Class "A" tube amp.

Mellow

I own a candy apple red telecoustic and just thought i'd let you know that it plays like dream. Buy one!!

Strat ID Number

Can anyone tell me anything about a Fender USA Strat with the following ID Number: N3145808

I know it was made in 1993 but would like to know more...What series? (delux, standard, etc.) and questions like that.

The guitar has a unique set of machine heads (tuners) and nut that I havent seen before. The tuners ARE Fender made but I just haven't seen them before...the nut has little bearings instead of a flat metal, bone, plastic or wood piece.

ANY info would be helpful.

Thanks
Chad

Re: Strat ID Number

I had a strat maybe of the same year. It was around that time anyway. I was told, and from every source I casually checked upon, it was a fender deluxe plus strat. Mine had a locking bridge and lace sensor pickups. I hope that's any help.

Re: Strat ID Number E485391

: I had a strat maybe of the same year. It was around that time anyway. I was told, and from every source I casually checked upon, it was a fender deluxe plus strat. Mine had a locking bridge and lace sensor pickups. I hope that's any help.

value of guitar

value of guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : value of guitar

WANTED: RANDALL RG-80 rackmount

I need 2 of these. If they don't have the foot switch I still want them.

Boss ME-5 effectprocessor

Any body help me with patches for the boss me-5.
I am specifically looking for blues and bluesrock sounds...
Would be nice.......

ZOOM8080

I AM LOOKING FOR THRASHCORE EFFECT PROCESSOR

CGDGAD tuning

I am looking for christian songs arranged for guitar tab in CGDGAD tuning. Any suggestions?

Re: CGDGAD tuning

Try the group "Dog Named David". They use that tuning alot. I recomend their Cd "acoustic canine"

effects

i'm looking for some good effects (no multieffects)....especially for distortion but also for other stuff..who can tell me whether to buy Boss, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc...????
thanks
henric

Re: effects

i've only got a multi at the moment, but i hear boss are always good. try em all out side by side, just show the guy in the shop a wad of cash and u'll be able to. also try the new marshall pedals.

Hmm.I'd say 1)Smash Box(dist.)2)Maxon or Voodo chorus,
3)Dunlop Cry-baby,4)Boss DD-3 delay,5)Boss BF-2 Flanger
(WILD).Boss CS-2 compressor,just in case.I use a Smash-box,then an Ibanez TS-10(overdrive) for preamp/tone control.

: i'm looking for some good effects (no multieffects)....especially for distortion but also for other stuff..who can tell me whether to buy Boss, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc...????
: thanks
: henric

for distortion my suggestion is to go for a pedal that has an acutal TUBE in it. These pedals will cost more but give great sound and sustain. My favorite is the one from Matchless--these guys make some of the best amps in the world so their pedal are KILLER!! Other companies that have a tube dist pedal are Marshall, Ibanez, and a few others. For Chorus I like the Danalectro Cool Cat. As a general rule, DOD and BOSS are up there with the "good-but-cheap" pedals. I don't think I'd mess with the Yamaha pedals or any of those other cheapie brands. The only Ibanez pedal I like is the Tube Screamer...not a real tube but a nice distortion pedal. Have fun!

: i'm looking for some good effects (no multieffects)....especially for distortion but also for other stuff..who can tell me whether to buy Boss, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc...????
: thanks
: henric

Don't use effects much myself but I would echo Wick's comments about distortion pedals with valves - or tubes if you're American - in them. Mine's made by Tube Works and I love it to bits.

The current range of Marshall distortion pedals (Guv'nor, Bluesbreaker 2, Jackhammer) are
transistor, not valve powered. That said, the Guv'nor and the Bluesbreaker are very good
indeed. The Guv'nor is more versatile, with a comprehensive EQ stack. Mesa do a couple
of highly regarded valve based distortions,

silvertone

deepbody f holes cutaway right side only 4 tuners 1 togo 2 pickups electric silvertone writing on head serial no.L1185 8999 looks like aristacrat exactly need more info. thanks ken

Re: silvertone

: deepbody f holes cutaway right side only 4 tuners 1 togo 2 pickups electric silvertone writing on head serial no.L1185 8999 looks like aristacrat exactly need more info. thanks ken

Re: silvertone

: : deepbody f holes cutaway right side only 4 tuners 1 togo 2 pickups electric silvertone writing on head serial no.L1185 8999 looks like aristacrat exactly need more info. thanks ken...email shirleyjaguars@aol.com

silvertone

deepbody f holes cutaway right side only 4 tuners 1 togo 2 pickups electric silvertone writing on head serial no.L1185 8999 looks like aristacrat exactly need more info. thanks ken

Guitat info

I've got Jackson and I don't know anything about it. tell me something about Jackson guitars or something

Re: Guitat info

: I've got Jackson and I don't know anything about it. tell me something about Jackson guitars or something

A bit more nifo would help. Well made guitars rthat reached their peak popularity in the mid-late 80s. Steve Vai played them for a while, as did loads of metal-type players. I think - and I may be talking absoltue rubbish here - that they were the upmarket product fo the same company that made Charvels.

Re: Guitat info

Jackson guitars were really popular in the mid 80's and early 90's with the heavy metal bands. They are good guitars but are made mainly for rock simply because of their pickup configuration. They are the parent company for Charvel, which I believe are not made anymore. But, in any case it's a good rock n' roll guitar. They are still pretty popular but not as much as they were.

Which has larger neck?

Which has the larger neck, the RG wizard, or the ESP LTD series guitars

Re: Which has larger neck?

: Which has the larger neck, the RG wizard, or the ESP LTD series guitars

The "wizard" neck is thinner than the ESP.

Bill Lawrence Humbuckers

I am working on my second venture into guitar building, and was thinking about using Bill Lawrence 450's or 500's, or maybe one of each. I'm looking for something capable of sounding good for Randy Rhoads-ish stuff when really saturated, fat and bluesy when overdriven. Just sort of slighty-hotter (and better sounding) Gibsonish tone in general. Any opinions on Bill's pickups? Any recommendations? Thanks,
-Rick

Re: Bill Lawrence Humbuckers

i am currently building a guitar in a science class. i cant find anything about fret spacing. can you help me out?
thanks gerald

: I am working on my second venture into guitar building, and was thinking about using Bill Lawrence 450's or 500's, or maybe one of each. I'm looking for something capable of sounding good for Randy Rhoads-ish stuff when really saturated, fat and bluesy when overdriven. Just sort of slighty-hotter (and better sounding) Gibsonish tone in general. Any opinions on Bill's pickups? Any recommendations? Thanks,
: -Rick

: i am currently building a guitar in a science class. i cant find anything about fret spacing. can you help me out?
: thanks gerald
I didn't build my own neck, and I'm not going to for this one either, I will for my next one, however. The 12th fret should be 1/2 of the way down the neck, and the fifth fret is 1/4 of the way down the neck. The trick is, according to Mr. Wyza's faq (http://members.aol.com/wyzagtr/wyzagtr/docs.htm)
that there is a rule of 17.82, the space for the first fret is your scale divided by 17.82. The space for the next one is 17.82 times your remaining scale (i.e. 25" scale, 1st fret is 1.4", the second one would be (25-1.4)=23.6/17.82, etc. I would recommend getting that FAQ, by the way, LOTS of information.
-Rick

fret spacing

this is fo anybody who needs fret spacing.

get the legnth from the nut to the bridge and devide that number by 17.817mm
the first fret should be around 30mm or more

Hmm.Bill Lawrence L-500's are very hot,bright and nasty! You could probably get the Randy Rhodes(R.I.P)
sound with those.But the powerful Alnico magnets in them maybe too bright for blues.So watch your tone control.L-500's distort very easily.
Hope this helps
P.S. Might try the Seymore Duncan SH-5,CLASSIC TONE,but
MEAN at high volumes.

Eddie G,
Do you have any experience with the 450's? Also, do the 500's seem to be "perma-bright" as in they sound really bright, and when you roll back the tone or treble, just sound like shit instead of darkening some? What sort of wood is the body of the axe they're in? Because that would have some effect for their brightness, too.

I dunno much about the 450's.But if you roll back the tone on the 550's,it does help alot.I use this pickup in a '76 Les Paul(Mahogony),awesome!But Twins don't
" break up" easily anyway.So I have a good clean sound
with the 550's.Actually,I'm using the Rythym pickup of
the 550 series in lead position.Nice! I used to have the Lead pickup,but I damaged the coils.I was young.
Good Luck

Sweet. I read somewhere that the 500's were what Buck Dharma was using in the 70's. You did get the ones you have from Bill, not Stew-Mac, right?

I think they are the original Bill Lawrence.I got them
in 1980.

Comment made: Sweet. I read somewhere that the 500's were what Buck Dharma was using in the 70's. You did get the ones you have from Bill, not Stew-Mac, right?

MY QUESTION: Are the Stew-Mac Lawrence L-500's bullshit? Meaning are they not made by Bill Lawrence, or B. Lawrence didn't send the L-500's to Stew-Mac?!?

Left response down near my reply,oops!

Re: Catalog request

Help me to decide what to buy by sending the catalog to me .

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked a previous question about Lawrence pick-ups when I wasn't so sure about their history. I see that there is alot of commotion between Bill Lawrence(.com) and Stew-Mac.... I was informed by an employee at Stew-Mac and I have researched billlawrence.com.... What I have found is that there is no person named Bill Lawrence(that sells lawrence pick-ups). Bill Lawrence is a licenced trade name. The company was formed by Willi Stich & E.C. Waczman... These two guys were "Bill Lawrence." Both Lawrence pick-ups are built to exact spesifications by Stew-Mac and Bill Lawrence, which are precise to the originals made by both guys. The pick-up builders at Stew-Mac and at Bill Lawrence were part of the original group as well. Willi Stich came back in 1996 to build pick-ups again as a small business called "Bill Lawrence." That's why it's confusing and hard to believe that both companies are the original makers. However, the best advice given to me and that I'm giving out to you; is that your best bet is to try both Lawrence L-500's from Stew-Mac and Bill Lawrence, and pick out your favorite. Since they aren't build exactly by the same person, the two will sound different from each other. Thanks for reading....

Hi.. I've been using an L-500 for about 4 years (in a Washburn N4). I've found the L-500 to be capable of producing a wide range of sound. I play mostly blues (SRV, clapton) and when the mood takes me a bit of black sabbath, malmsteen. I play through a Fender M80 amp and think that with the right set up the L-500 should be able to give you the type of sound you are looking for.

Hope this helps :o)

JCM2000 DSL

Im having trouble getting very much crunch
out of this amp,It seemed like it had more crunch
when I frist got the amp,Its only 9 months old.
does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: JCM2000 DSL

: Im having trouble getting very much crunch
: out of this amp,It seemed like it had more crunch
: when I frist got the amp,Its only 9 months old.
: does anyone have any suggestions?

Replace your old dead strings with some good bright ones. This will change your sound alot. Good luck.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.