Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Fuzzy G strings (fnarr) on expensive guitars?

I'm refering to an annoying fuzzy sound I get when I play any fret on a G string (and to a lesser extent B and E) - it sounds particularly bad through certain overdrive/amp settings.
I have a number of nice - though inexpensive guitars - all with the same problem regardless of action settings - and the necks all seem fine.
I'm just wondering if you get the same annoying fuzz with really expensive Gibson Les Pauls, Delux Strats, PRSs, etc - or are they fuzz free?

Also will a different set of strings sound better without going to a heavier guage (I use ernie ball super slinky 9s)

Re: Fuzzy G strings (fnarr) on expensive guitars?

Hmm.Even cheap guitars can sound good.I think the problem could be 1 of 3 things.On a 7 radius neck(old
strats)the neck curvature is greater.So the neck tilt
(truss rod)might need adjusting.The nut of the guitars
might be worn down a bit,causing the G (middle)string to vibrate off the frets(rattling).Also,check your bridge saddles.They might might be worn down also, causing the string to buzz on the frets.
Hope this helps

Any recomendations for a 14 year old buying his first electric guitar?

I have been advised to look at standard strats, or the cheaper squier
strats.I play punk songs, Nirvana and so forth. I would also like a
recomendation for a good cheap disortion pedal. Is buying
pedals second hand a good idea? What guitar and pedal would you
recomend for a begginner playing punk rock alternitive music and
why?

Re: Any recomendations for a 14 year old buying his first electric guitar?

Hmm.Strats and Squires are cool.But single coil guitars can be a little noisey.Ibanez makes pretty good
budget guitars,also ESP and Carlo-Robelli.For a beginner,I would stay away from locking tremelos.They
still give some problems,especialy with tuning.For distotion,I'd probably go with the Ibanez Smash-box($60).It's got lots of gain,but is easy to use.Old pedals are really for experienced guitar guys,who know
the're capabilities and uses.Also,if there's somthing
wrong with it,repair jobs can be expensive.I'd get him
something thats more disposable than vintage.
Good Luck to you and son!!

: I have been advised to look at standard strats, or the cheaper squier
: strats.I play punk songs, Nirvana and so forth. I would also like a
: recomendation for a good cheap disortion pedal. Is buying
: pedals second hand a good idea? What guitar and pedal would you
: recomend for a begginner playing punk rock alternitive music and
: why?

The most important thing when buying a guitar is to play as many guitars as you can. Don't worry about names and shapes and colors. Buy the guitar that FEELS the best for you. Personally, I'd rather play a $500 Ibanez than a $1500 Strat. It's all a matter of what FEELS right to you. Once you find the right guitar, then you can start looking for pedals that give you the sound that you want. Take your time. Don't rush into a decision that you might regret later. Good luck.

Remember. Play LOTS of guitars first.

gibson is selling a new line of kramers at very low prices. i have toyed with several of these as they are selling like hotcakes. i agree with the previous post - go with a simple guitar - no locking tremolo - and move up as necessary. the kramer line can be found at musicyo.com. keep in mind these new kramers are geared towards beginners. i've been playing for 15+ years and i had to get the kramer "V" for the fun of it and i was fairly impressed with the guitar for the sub $200 price tag. the fender strat you see at the stores for under $200 is also a great beginner guitar. my buddy has one of those he refuses to replace - a few minor modifications and he has a pretty nice axe.

: I have been advised to look at standard strats, or the cheaper squier
: strats.I play punk songs, Nirvana and so forth. I would also like a
: recomendation for a good cheap disortion pedal. Is buying
: pedals second hand a good idea? What guitar and pedal would you
: recomend for a begginner playing punk rock alternitive music and
: why?

I'd echo the others. Check out plenty to see what you're comfortable playing, and keep it simple. Don't get seduced by locking trems and coil taps. Keep it simple. I'd even suggest a Telecaster rather than a Strat, but that's what I play so maybe I'm biased.

playing the guitar through the computer

can one plug into the "line in" jack on the back of the computer and utilize a program to play the guitar through the computer and computer speakers. customize messages for online answereing machine, record wav file for various purposes, etc. Could someone please provide, in detail, what is needed to make this happen.

Re: playing the guitar through the computer

: can one plug into the "line in" jack on the back of the computer and utilize a program to play the guitar through the computer and computer speakers. customize messages for online answereing machine, record wav file for various purposes, etc. Could someone please provide, in detail, what is needed to make this happen.

Get a program called Cakewalk Guitar Tracks. It is inexpensive and will do the things you want and more.

If you already have a computer with soundcard all you need is a cheap jack adapter. Just plug the guitar into the linein of your sound card and run...

Program->Accessories->Entertainment->Volume_Control to select linein via Properties...Recording

And then

Program->Accessories->Entertainment->Sound Recorder to create a wav file.

If you have an SBlive, you'll find it has built in realtime effects like chorus, flange, phaser, delay, autowah and a crude overdrive.

If youre serious about DI recording guitars with a PC get Cakewalk9 and a Pod - for amazing professional results.

Also check out a demo called Revalver - via http://www.hitsquad.com/smm

: can one plug into the "line in" jack on the back of the computer and utilize a program to play the guitar through the computer and computer speakers. customize messages for online answereing machine, record wav file for various purposes, etc. Could someone please provide, in detail, what is needed to make this happen.

I tried Revalver. It's cool, but I wouldn't part with $100 for it. The POD and Cakewalk I agree with. If those are out of your budget, Power Tracks Pro Audio ($30) and the Digitech RP100 effects unit ($100) are extremely usable.

i really appreciate your time, however, i tried using sound recorder and it will work with a microphone and a harmonica, but i can't get the quitar to work. yes i know the cord and everything works, and i've tried revalver, total recorder, and a couple other free downloads. nothing lets me hear the guitar while i'm playing, like an amp. recording is less important than playing for this particular purpose. once again, i appreciate any hints you might have....

: If you already have a computer with soundcard all you need is a cheap jack adapter. Just plug the guitar into the linein of your sound card and run...

: Program->Accessories->Entertainment->Volume_Control to select linein via Properties...Recording

: And then

: Program->Accessories->Entertainment->Sound Recorder to create a wav file.

: If you have an SBlive, you'll find it has built in realtime effects like chorus, flange, phaser, delay, autowah and a crude overdrive.

: If youre serious about DI recording guitars with a PC get Cakewalk9 and a Pod - for amazing professional results.

: Also check out a demo called Revalver - via http://www.hitsquad.com/smm

: : can one plug into the "line in" jack on the back of the computer and utilize a program to play the guitar through the computer and computer speakers. customize messages for online answereing machine, record wav file for various purposes, etc. Could someone please provide, in detail, what is needed to make this happen.

Re: try FREE Pro Tools Lite

For a FREE PC based multitrack recorder (eight track audio + effects + midi sequences) try Pro Tools. Theyve just released a free version to download from www.digidesign.com
I havn't tried it but it'll be one a par with Cakewalk Home Studio and Cubasis.
Once you get into recording via a PC (with Pro-Tools, Cakewalk, etc), you'll never look at a four track again.

Ive done a page about how we digitally record, including guitars at
http://members.tripod.com/acmerock/shush_recording/shush_studio.htm

all you need to is get a adaptor and plug in to the mic in then go to your volume control panel then to the playback properties and select mic in then you can play through pc & pc speakers with no additional software via mic

Del Amitri Tabs

could anyone please help by giving me a contact for some del amitri tabs
cheers
mike

What amp power (watts) is needed for a guitarist playing with a drummer?

I have a weak 10watt practice amp and I have started playing with a
friend ,a drummer, and I realized I needed a more powerful amp.
How many watts would I need to find in an amp, if I was ,just jamming
or playing in a relativly small venue? What price ($) would I be lookin
at?. I dont realy have any more than 350-400$ to spend. Do I need
more money?

Re: What amp power (watts) is needed for a guitarist playing with a drummer?

i would suggest at a bare minimum a dual 10" speaker amp with at least 60 watts - i think crate makes a decent solid state model for around $400. i would suggest, however, a half stack with at least a 60 watt head.
i used to jam with a band in a small room and i had a used peavey butcher head and a 4-12 and i had no problems keeping up . . . the set-up cost me $500 at a used music shop.

Hmm. I would get a 60 watt amp,with a single 12in. speaker.Peavey makes good affordable amps(RAGE 112).A lot of guys hate the Tech21,but I love mine!Got it used
for $350.The problem with 10 in. speakers is they don't
project enough sound cause of their small size.I'd go
with a 12 in. instead.But word on the street is,amp techs love Peaveys because they'er easy to fix.
Good Luck

Depending on the drummer, of course, typically I would expect to get by easily with a 40 watt amp. I've seen plenty of servicable specimens used for $200 or less, i.e. Crate and Peavey.

: I have a weak 10watt practice amp and I have started playing with a
: friend ,a drummer, and I realized I needed a more powerful amp.
: How many watts would I need to find in an amp, if I was ,just jamming
: or playing in a relativly small venue? What price ($) would I be lookin
: at?. I dont realy have any more than 350-400$ to spend. Do I need
: more money?

For some reason - don't ask, because I don't understand it! - valve amps seem to push out more volume than transistor amps of apparently equal power. I get the impression your living in the USA, where I understand things are cheaper than her e in the UK. I would expect to be able to set myself up a second hand 50W valve head and 2x12 speaker cabinet for about £250, which I believe is around $150. Check out some second-hand stores.

In your situation, I think the best choice would be something like the Peavey Classic 30. It is a great sounding tube amp and will have plenty of power to be heard over a loud drummer. You can probably find a good used one for a pretty reasonable price.

Carvin

Carvin SX1000 or SX 2000

need a telacoustic

If you know of or have a fender telacoustic for sale for under 300$ please e-mail me at deerslayer323@aol.com

best 7-string under $600???

looking at jackson fixed bridge, esp-ltd with floyd rose, washburn with floyd rose, and ibanez with lowpro edge. thanks.

Questions about Ibanez guitars and their 'Smash Box' distortion pedal.

Ive been hearing great things about Ibanez guitars and their 'smash
box' distortion pedal,but Ive never seen one in the local shops. What
does their guitars look/sound like? Is the smash box pedal good
moneys worth? I heard it is a great pedal, but I thought might ask the
experts opinion............

Re: Questions about Ibanez guitars and their 'Smash Box' distortion pedal.

I like mine!You'll get goo-gobs of distortion,nice high
and low E.Q. knobs,a noise gate switch.But most of all
they'er controlable.The distortion doesn't get really
mean until about 11 o'clock(+,-).This makes for a versitle pedal.
Good Luck

Re: Questions about Ibanez guitars and their 'Smash Box' distortion pedal.

: Ive been hearing great things about Ibanez guitars and their 'smash
: box' distortion pedal,but Ive never seen one in the local shops. What
: does their guitars look/sound like? Is the smash box pedal good
: moneys worth? I heard it is a great pedal, but I thought might ask the
: experts opinion............

Dude, I'm a big fan of Ibanez guitars. I feel that you get an awful lot of guitar for your money. Quality woods, excellent workmanship and great sound for often half the price of an identical guitar by another manufacturer. You would do well to visit your local guitar shops and play a few, and compare. I can't speak for the pedal you refer to, but I love my "vintage" TS-9 Tubescreamer, and the re-issue is just as good.

Carvin Nomad or Bel Air Amplifier Opinions?

I am considering buying a Carvin tube amp - Either the Nomad (1-12" speaker) or Bel Air (2-12" speakers). Same 50 watt tube amp. Anyone have any comments, experiences to share?

file for line6 POD to emulate BB King's guitar

I've a Line6 POD and I'm looking for the setting to get the same sound as BB King's guitar.
Anybody can help?

How do speakers contribute to amps??

Most amps I know of are, just amps. I heard that you need a
speaker for certain amps. When do yo need a speaker for them? And
why?Couldnt you just have ,like, 1 amp?????

Re: How do speakers contribute to amps??

I think I understand your question,I'll give it a shot.
Sometimes the magnet inside the speaker coil can get weak with age or usage.They'll start to sound strange,
losing tone and other weird things.Someone else could
probably explain this better than I can.But I'll say this...THE SPEAKERS ARE YOUR SOUND!! All speakers are not created equal!Some are better than others for different reasons that vary with personal taste.GOOD
SPEAKERS=GOOD SOUND,BAD SPEAKERS=SHITTY SOUND.Example:
took my Twin to get the speakers RE-CONED(paper replaced).I told the tech,make sure you use the SAME TYPE OF PAPER that was in them originaly.I even took a sample of the original paper for a referrence.SO,while
your amp may be well built,you could replace your speaker with a better one for better sound.YES,it DOES
MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Hope this helps

I kinda got the different impression of what you're actually asking than Eddie, so i'll try...

: Most amps I know of are, just amps.
- you're talking about a Combo? Like a box with a speaker and knobs for volume, tone , distortion etc. A combo is actually a combination of the amplifier (head) and the speaker. The head does the amplifying and the speaker just converts an electric signal into sound.

:I heard that you need a speaker for certain amps. When do yo need a speaker for them?
- when you want a powerful amp you get the head and the speaker cabinets separately, as you'll propably want big speakers so you can make use of all that power your monster amp dishes out.
Besides combos are heavy and burdensome to lug around,you could have smaller speakers at home for practice and big huge ones at rehearsal place for playing with your band, and you would only have to carry the head around if you didn't want to (couldnt afford to) buy two amps.

Re: THE SEAKERS ARE YOUR SOUND!!!

Different amps are good for certain situations.But the
Sound of an amp really depends on your speakers.That's what you're actually listening to.

Re: THE SPEAKERS ARE YOUR SOUND!!! Spelled speakers wrong,OOPS!!!

: Different amps are good for certain situations.But the
: Sound of an amp really depends on your speakers.That's what you're actually listening to.

: Most amps I know of are, just amps. I heard that you need a
: speaker for certain amps. When do yo need a speaker for them? And
: why?Couldnt you just have ,like, 1 amp?????

I agree with the others, especially Cranium Cruncher (who names their child Cranium Cruncher - poor guy). If you've got a combo - and it sounds like you have - then don't be worrying about the speaker issue unless and until you're thinking about changing your set-up. If you've got a separate amp head and speaker cab then choosing speakers would be an important issue. It is, at that point, very important, and frequently overlooked. Eddie G is quite right that your speakers can fundamentally affect your sound. Different speakers are designed with different styles in mind. Some are designed to distort early - good for playing blues/rock type stuff - while others will stay crystal clear up to quite high volumes, for clean jazz or country stuff. By all means get more specific about your present set-up and style and we'll bore you further on the subject!

Zoom 9000 just displays "9000"

Anyone have this happen to their Zoom 9000? Mine started sounding funky, and then it would only display "9000". It doesn't work anymore. Please help.

Re: Zoom 9000 just displays

I have the same problem.
I was playing when suddenly it turned off.
Now I try to turn it on and it only displays '9000'
If you know what should i do, please email me

need some tabs

I need a website that has tablature for Autograph.
I can find it anywhere.

Re: need some tabs

me too dood,looking everywhere for "Turn up the Radio".Just can't find it!

hohner guitar

I'm looking for a bridge for a hohner electric guitar or can someone tell me of another bridge that would fit this guitar. Thanks JR Email me if you know.

Is overdrive the same as distortion????

I was out at a shop looking to buy a good distortion pedal, I was
recommended a certain overdrive pedal. Is there any difference???

Re: Is overdrive the same as distortion????

Overdrive occurs when an amp is over-loaded by turning up the volume. Natural, tube-amp overdrive is considered by many to be the sound a guitar can produce. When an amp is overdriven, distortion is produced. So to answer your question, overdrive and distortion are the same thing. With pedals, however, overdrive implies a natural, tube-amp sound while distortion and fuzz produce harder, more unnatural sounds. I hope this helps. If you want a more in-depth explanation, feel free to E-mail me at
jonathan_hiltz@hotmail.com.

Re: overdrive and distortion are both based on the square-wave signal!

Overdrive and distortion are based on the same priciple
...the square wave,which is produced when volume of a signal is "over-laoded"(too loud).Overdrive is the 1st
level of square-wave distortion.Distortion is the 2nd
level square-wave.It's hotter(more gain)than overdrive.
Fuzz is as mean as it gets.This is the highest level of
saturation (gain)there is.It is much harder to manage and can change your sound tremendously!Overdrive,
Distortion and Fuzz are all useful in the right situations.I can't give the technical definition of square-wave,but OD,Dist.,and Fuzz are all based on the
sqaure-wave.
Hope this Helps

Re: Is overdrive the same as distortion????

: I was out at a shop looking to buy a good distortion pedal, I was
: recommended a certain overdrive pedal. Is there any difference???

Most players would probably agree that overdrive generally refers to a milder effect than distortion. You would get overdrive on an old valve amp simply by turning it up louder than it was originally meant to go. You'd hear this sound a lot on albums by people like Clapton, the Stones, the Who and so on from the late 60s, early 70s. Distortion is more severe, and you might associate it more with heavier stuff, and the metal sounds that came later. Which is suitable for you deopends on what you're trying to play and how you want it to sound. Try both and see. If yuo're gonig to be gigging then you need to try them out at volume, as they willl produce very different sounds through an amp played at bedroom practice levels and the same amp cranked up with a band. Either way, you should be able to have a giggle with them!

guitar chords

Hey! Does anyone know where I can find guitar chords by sting?

Re: guitar chords

hello! I need this to be able to play for my daddy. Please help.

noel gallaghers gear

does any one know what noel gallagher uses ,when he turn something on stage that speeds up and down the flanger and the delay , what is it?

strat fingerboards

I am new to guitars. Is there any difference between a maple and rosewood fingerboard except the type of wood used? Does it affect quality or sound or anything like that? Thanks!

Re: strat fingerboards

Maple will be a bit brighter. Rosewood is a bit more mellow sounding. Necks don't make or break the sound of a guitar though. It has to do with the combo of the type of wood used in the body, the hardware on the guitar, scale length, strings etc...

Re: strat fingerboards

: I am new to guitars. Is there any difference between a maple and rosewood fingerboard except the type of wood used? Does it affect quality or sound or anything like that? Thanks!

yeah there are diferences. rosewood needs to be kept clean as does maple but rosewood should be oiled once in a while . i've been playing for twenty some years and have found difference in player comfort but not nessesarilly a lot of difference in sound although some swear that roewood sound warmer or something.i personally like the feel of a lauered maple neck but i do own a strat with roewood that i love tremendously . fret jobs have to be done with much care in either case;rosewood can be chippy whearas one must try not to chip brittle laquer on vintage maple necks tooi i have found that removing frets by driving them out sideways is neater removal as apossed to pulling them straight up

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.