Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: What's your gear??

Hmm.What kind of amp do you use?What kind of pickups??
What kind of distortion?How do you hold pick?I'll assume you've had the axe since 1983.Does it have a brass nut?Is the fret board clean? What person's sound come to mind(sustain/bite)?

Re: Question about getting more sustain and bite out of my guitar

: I own a 1983 Gibson Flying V and I want more edge for solo-playing. What should I do? pickup change? an overdrive-compressor box? poor technique?

Before you go spending any money on new amps, new pickups, brass nuts, overdrive units, on-board preamps or any other gizmos, just stick a heavier set of strings on it. You'll be amazed at how much bigger the sound gets. The strings drive the pick-ups, and the heavier they are the more weight is vibrating there and the more signal gets pushed out. These days people tend to play with 8, 9 or 10 gauge strings. Stevie Ray Vaughan oplayed with 13s. Yes, that's extreme, and yes he tuned down a little to accommodate, but my bet is that you could easily go up a gauge or two without going that heavy. You'll find it hard on your fingers but you soon get used to it, the same as you did when you first learned to play. I've played with 11s on a my Telecaster, 12s on an old Hofner and 13s - downtuned - on a 12-string for years now. The main drawback its that its difficult to evaluate guitars in shops any more because they all sound toneless in comparison. Give it a go.

Aria Pro II question

Does anyone know the differences between the Aria Pro II model CS-250 and the CS-350 model? Do they have the same pick-ups? What brand are the pick-ups?

zz bladerunner

: Does anyone know the differences between the Aria Pro II model CS-250 and the CS-350 model? Do they have the same pick-ups? What brand are the pick-ups?

gitar

plis help me to lern gitar

Re: gitar

: plis help me to lern gitar

saya ingin tahu kunci gitarnya lagu kesukaan saya dan kalau bisa langsung dikirim
ke E-MAIL saya aja biar saya langsung bisa tuhu

DAN INI LHO.. LAGUNYA : ...

1.) temani aku dari SHEILA ON 7
2.) rahasia dari NO LIMIT

UDAH KOK INI AJA AKU NGAK MAU BANYAK BANYAK ASAL CEPETAN AJA

KALAU BISA AMA KINCI MELODINYA SEKALIGUS YA.......

: : plis help me to lern gitar

: saya ingin tahu kunci gitarnya lagu kesukaan saya dan kalau bisa langsung dikirim
: ke E-MAIL saya aja biar saya langsung bisa tuhu
:
: DAN INI LHO.. LAGUNYA : ...

: 1.) temani aku dari SHEILA ON 7
: 2.) sephia
:
: UDAH KOK INI AJA AKU NGAK MAU BANYAK BANYAK ASAL CEPETAN AJA
:
: KALAU BISA AMA KINCI MELODINYA SEKALIGUS YA.......

Hai, saya ingin tau kunci gitar untuk lagu :
1. Yogyakarta dari KLA
2. Begitu Indah dari PADI
3. Maaf dari JIKUSTIK
4. Kemesraan
Itu dulu dech saya tunggu emailnya di joe10@satumail.com

: Hai, saya ingin tau kunci gitar untuk lagu :
: 1. Yogyakarta dari KLA
: 2. Begitu Indah dari PADI
: 3. Maaf dari JIKUSTIK
: 4. Kemesraan
: Itu dulu dech saya tunggu emailnya di joe10@satumail.com

: saya ingin tahu kunci gitarnya lagu kesukaan saya dan kalau bisa langsung dikirim
: ke E-MAIL saya aja biar saya langsung bisa tuhu
:
:
DAN INI LHO.. LAGUNYA : .
: 1.) breathless dari the corrs
2.) kuch kuch ho tahe
:
:
: KALAU BISA AMA KINCI MELODINYA SEKALIGUS YA.......

: plis help me to lern gitar

saya ingin tahu kunci gitarnya lagu kesukaan saya dan kalau bisa langsung dikirim
ke E-MAIL saya aja biar saya langsung bisa tahu

DAN INI LHO.. LAGUNYA : ...

1.) temani aku dari SHEILA ON 7
2.) rahasia dari NO LIMIT

UDAH KOK INI AJA AKU NGAK MAU BANYAK BANYAK ASAL CEPETAN AJA

KALAU BISA AMA KUNCI MELODINYA SEKALIGUS YA.......

gitar

saya pingin kunci gitarnya lagu ari lasso penjaga hati
tolong ya kirim ke email saya secepatnya.
pllliiiisssss....
dan makasih banyak.

pleaseeeeeee

saya kepengen kunci gita lagu outside by staind, have a time of yoyur life by green day......... trus married with children by oasis! kalo bisa kirimin yah ke email aku! loe baik deh! thanks yah! byeeeee

kunci gitar

alo...gue mo minta tolong nich..
kasih tau kunci gitarnya "ada apa dengan cinta"-nya melly goeslaw donk ...perlu banget nich...secepatnya ya..langsung ke e-mail gue...tolong ya...

: ke E-MAIL saya aja biar saya langsung bisa tahu
:
: DAN INI LHO.. LAGUNYA : lagu jhon lennon...
yang imagine, love,dan woman
:
:
: KALAU BISA AMA KUNCI MELODINYA SEKALIGUS YA.......

kunci melodi

saya pingin tahu ada nggak kunci melodi gitar buat lagu "percayakan padaku" dr sheila on 7 ,lagunya susah dimainkan ,tolong ya..

Kunci Gitar

: saya pingin tahu ada nggak kunci melodi gitar buat lagu "percayakan padaku" dr sheila on 7 ,lagunya susah dimainkan ,tolong ya..

Re: Kunci Gitar

: : misi mb',tante,neng, ooooo...m!!!! eheheheh....
Minta kod-kod/kunci2 gitar mulai yang mudah ampe yang suliiiiiiiit........BGT!!!!
Teknik2 menggitar yaaaaa........
thank's before!!!!!!!

: : kirimi kunci lagu-lagu NIRVANA semuanya.

: : ada kunci gitar "hands down" nya DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL ga??
Trus sm kUnci Boys Don'T cry nYa The cure dWoNk. . . !!!! PLEASE. . . . . .

:

: 1.) temani aku dari SHEILA ON 7
: 2.) rahasia dari NO LIMIT
:
:

: : : plis help me to lern gitar

: : saya ingin tahu kunci gitarnya lagu kesukaan saya dan kalau bisa langsung dikirim
: : ke E-MAIL saya aja biar saya langsung bisa tahu
: :
: : DAN INI LHO.. LAGUNYA : ...

: : 1.) kau pikir kaulah segalanya ( Edane )
: : 2.) rahasia dari NO LIMIT
: : UDAH KOK INI AJA AKU NGAK MAU BANYAK BANYAK ASAL CEPETAN AJA
: : KALAU BISA AMA KUNCI MELODINYA SEKALIGUS YA.......

:

: 1.) seberapa pantas dari sheila on 7: 2.) pupus dari dewa 19 dan cintailah cinta dari dewa 19:
:

: : saya ingin tahu kunci gitarnya lagu kesukaan saya dan kalau bisa langsung dikirim

: : 1.) dewa 19 - satu hati

: : 1.) dewa 19 - satu hati

How much should I pay for a good distortion?

I'm going to buy a distortion for my electro-accustic guitar and I need advice!!!Please send the answer by e-mail..

Re: How much should I pay for a good distortion?

Are you sure you want a distortion pedal for your acoustic/electric? The pickup is not the same as an electric pickup. But, out of all of the pedals, I would suggest the Boss Blues Driver. It will give you that dirty tone you may be looking for.

Effects pedas: Should I buy them individualy, or in one unit??

I want to get distortion, chorus and delay effects pedals, and Id like
to know should I buy them individually or, in one unit, What would be
the best option and why so?

Re: Effects pedas: Should I buy them individualy, or in one unit??

Hmm.It's hard to say which option is best.The multi-effects units are pretty good(some of them).You'll have
all your sounds in one unit,good for gigging and very
compact.But I generaly prefer my mixed bag of stomp-boxes.When you mix MXR,Ibanez,Mutron,Boss and E.H.,the
different curcuits that make these boxes gives you a
unique sound.As opposed to having,say,all Digitech components.They both have good and bad points,so I use
both multi. and boxes in different situations.I LOVE MY
STOMP-BOXES!!
Good Luck

Using separate pedals will give you a pure guitar sound but its more expensive.
Using one unit with all the effects will give you a plastic unatural guitar sound, but you get a lot of effects for relatively little price.
Make your choice

You are badly mistaken. I'll put my rack against any collection of 9-volt boxes. What effects units have you tried?

Re:

if i were you id buy them indiviualy cause it wil give you more to work with

cause i bought a boss gt3 and cant work the f ucking thing!

Re:

If you're looking for a budget piece, check out the Digitech RP100 for about $100. Hard to beat for the money.

It takes a little investment in time to learn to program an effects unit, but I've found it to be very worthwhile. I haven't used an actual guitar amp on a gig for years now.

: I want to get distortion, chorus and delay effects pedals, and Id like
: to know should I buy them individually or, in one unit, What would be
: the best option and why so?
Distortion should be through the input of your amp, and time domain effects [reverb,delay,chorus] should see an effects loop of your amp. The M-ONE [TC Electronics] is a great effects loop device, but would sound wierd if you were pushing a dist pedal through it. So mix and match your overdrives in pedal forum to the input of that amp, and leave the coloring to the digital processor. This works the best. Trust me Buddy, I've tried it all! Stamps and Justin Everman [Fuzz drive] are very tuff to beat.....

swiss talent agents

I am a working Swiss Canadian musician (guitar, vocals) who is interesed in returning to Switzerland to tour small nightclubs and pubs. Does anyone out there know of any Swiss talent agencies? Thankyou!

Help, please.

Hi people...I had an interesting package arrive at my house tonight...from a friend. She sent me her old (slightly worn) Skylark Brand Beginner's Acustic Guitar (long title eh?)
Anyway..I'm really a beginner..and she couldn't find her lesson book..so I'm kind of stuck for now. =/
All I really know about this guitar is that its out of tune..and I'm afraid to try because I don't want to mess it up...so if you guys could give me any tips I'd be most appriciative...thanx!
<3/ Niko

Re: Help, please.

Yeah... Want an advice?
Dont worry man
guitars get out of tune all the time
I have to tune mine every day before playing.
So if you mess up, no big deal.
Thats typically begginers paranoya

Re: Help, please.

: Hi people...I had an interesting package arrive at my house tonight...from a friend. She sent me her old (slightly worn) Skylark Brand Beginner's Acustic Guitar (long title eh?)
: Anyway..I'm really a beginner..and she couldn't find her lesson book..so I'm kind of stuck for now. =/
: All I really know about this guitar is that its out of tune..and I'm afraid to try because I don't want to mess it up...so if you guys could give me any tips I'd be most appriciative...thanx!
: <3/ Niko

Don't be too worried about messing it up - they're a lot more robust than you might expect. If it hasn't been played in a whilem though, it would definitely benefit from some new strings. Pop into a guitar shop, ask for osome advice on strings, and ask them if they'd show you how to sstring and tune it. You'll need to know how to restring it sooner or later anyway, as you'll need to do that every few months or so. Try not to pick a time when they're swamped with cutomers, but if they're not too busy you'll probably find they'll help you out. If this isn't feasible, and you really are having to do it completely alone, by all means email me and I'll try and guide you through it. It's simple onece you know how, but explaining it feels tricky.

george michael song

hi
Has anybody tabbed George michael's song'Like Jesus to a child'
If so will you pls let me have a look?
TIA
Sajan

More informaton

I would like to know that the Boss Me-30 Guitar Multiple effects has 30
preset's and said we can add more 30 How can I do it . and can I add
any extra sound in it from tape or cd If so How it is ( such as sitar or
voilin etc.)

Highly appreciate your reply in details.

Thanking you

Best Regards

MATHEW C.C.

The "cool" pose

Appears that, today, EVERYONE "plays" the guitar. I find it disgusting....at most of the stuff that I hear.

Evidentally, the current idea is to look "cool"...with the guitar slung low, sloppy clothes, long hair and
all kinds of facial expressions.....to allegedly show that the "musician" is in a world of his own.

Most of these "guitarists" need serious schooling.

Again, today, it seems...most "musicians" play the guitar (drums too)

Too bad...for many of us.

Todays "guitarists"

: Appears that, today, EVERYONE "plays" the guitar. I find it disgusting....at most of the stuff that I hear.

: Evidentally, the current idea is to look "cool"...with the guitar slung low, sloppy clothes, long hair and
: all kinds of facial expressions.....to allegedly show that the "musician" is in a world of his own.

: Most of these "guitarists" need serious schooling.

: Again, today, it seems...most "musicians" play the guitar (drums too)

: Too bad...for many of us.

Stingray 5 Basses

I am interested in buying a Stingray 5 string bass. I'd be interested in any commentary either pro or con regarding these instruments. I'd especially like to hear about any "problem years" or systemic manufacturing problems. Thanks, Russ

Re: Stingray 5 Basses

I haven't heard anything bad about the Stingray line of
basses.But I play with a guy who uses one.It has a tremendous sound,but it weighs a ton!! It's a real tank!

Wanted: 60s Goya Basses

Looking for 1960 Goya Basses. Will pay up to $600.00 for some of the hollow bodys. and up to $400.00 for some solids. Please don't email me with a beatup refin and ask me to pay you $600.00 for it. I will of course buy less than mint Goyas, but at fair market value.
Thank You.

1999 Scorpions edition Custom Shop Flying V

Has anyone got any background info on the 1999 scorpions edition goldtop flying v's? Thanks!

Tuning my floyd rose

Hey, i am in need of serious help!!!!! Am i doing something wrong or can a floyd rose just be a bitch to tune? It seems that if i put two springs on my bridge, i get the bridge too far off the guitar when i get the strings tuned. If i put three springs in, then the bridge is against the guitar and the strings are buzzing when i play. What is the secret to this. How can i make it right? Please help me. what am i doing wrong?

Re: Tuning my floyd rose

Easy fix Ed! First decide if you would rather have 3 springs or 2. I prefer 3 but you may want the bar less stiff so use 2. The secret to getting the Floyd level is adjusting the spring claw. There should be 2 screws near where the springs attach to the body of the guitar (near the neck). If your bridge is to far off the body, tighten them. If the bridge is too low, loosen them. Keep trying until the bridge is level. You will then be all set. Of course you will need to do this with string on the guitar and it will cause them to go out of tune when you adjust the claw. So just retune and keep adjusting the claw till you get it where you want it.

Roland JC amps

Does anyone have a Roland Jazz Chorus amp?
I am considering buying a roland jazz chorus, probably
the JC-90 because it is a little smaller than the 120.
I've heard that these are one of the best clean sounding
amps, which sounds appealing to me. I am a fan of the
Knopfler and Becker tones. But how would this amp sound
with an overdriven Les Paul? I'd like to be able to get
a Santana-like tone as well as the clean strat sound but
how do these amps handle a tone like that? I use overdrive
a lot so I would want a good versatile amp to get clean
and overdriven sounds. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremy B. Morse

Re: Roland JC amps

Roland JC amps are very good CLEAN amps.Their tone is very bright,the chorus is quite nice as is the vibrato.
When using distortion,however,they tend to be too shrill and glassy,because the basic clean tone is set up that way.You might want to turn down the tone on your distortion for soloing(I do). I've seen Santana use TUBE amps,Boogies mostly.His tone is punchy and full of mid-range,so a Roland JC(very good)solid-state amp might not give you that tone.Fender Twins,on the other hand,are very powerful,warm,and sturdy.They don't
"break-up"(overdrive)like Marshalls,but with the right
distortion box...she's all the amp you'll ever need!!
Hope this helps
P.S.The Fender Twin and the Les Paul is beautiful marriage!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.