Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: gituar cases

: looking for a used electric <B style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">gituar</B> case for my son.

peavey amplifier

I'm 14, and I just became the guitarist/song writer/singer of a punk-alternative band, so I wanted to get a bigger amp(around 80W or 100W). A guy I know will sell me a peavey bandit 112 for $200. It is almost brand new and I know there is no problems with the amp because I can trust this guy(I've been friends with him for 4 years). Is this a good amp? Can it produce a good distorted sound? Does it have a decent clean channel?

Re: peavey amplifier

i got one myself. pretty damn good dirty sound indeed. but the clean is laffable. at full volume it's actually totally distorted, which can sound pretty cool if thats what ur after, but at any decent volume there is no clean tone in it. buts its a good amp

As long as the distortion is good, I guess I'll get it. It is a good deal for $200. I've looked them up on some sites and they were being sold from $270-$400. I'm going to do a green day type of distortion for the majority of the songs, as for anything clean,looks like I'm screwed. I might be able to borrow my other friend's fender princeton amp if I do any clean stuff at a gig. I've let him borrow my gear before so he probably will let me borrow his.

I'VE GOT A PEAVEY BANDIT 112 AND THE DISTORTION IS GREAT FOR THAT RASPEY PUNK SOUND

I'm pl looking for a good amp, is this a good amp, do ypu know what the actuale price is in the shop????

mzzls

ties

I would like to buy a Peavey Artist 120 amp.
Where can I find datas about this amp?
Could you help me?

Strings

What happens if I change metal strings (maybe only g,b and e) of my acoustic guitar with nylon strings?
Thin metal strings hurt fingers much more, when I reduced my practicing....

Re: Strings

The nylon strings have much less tension than steel. I wouldn't recommend this. Your guitar was not designed for this. If you are just a beginner don't worry. Your fingers will develop calouses and you will be able to play longer without pain. You might want to try a lighter guage string instead. Have a music shop set-up your guitar for you when you change guages because the neck wil need to be adjusted. You might also want to try Silk and Steel strings. They have less tension on them.. Good luck

Cort Curbow string adjustment

I would like to know the technique for lowering the strings on a Cort Curbow 5 string bass. How do you do it so you have the correct intonation?

Sound Module + Midi Controller (keyboard) = Synthersiser. . . IS THIS CORRECT???

Is it better to get a sound module and a controller or just get a synth?
What is a descent sound module?
What kind of sounds do they produce?
Are they the same idea as a multi effects unit for guitar for example?

Nearfield monitors or my hi-fi for home studio

Will my hi-fi suffice for a home studio i'm setting up or do i need to by a power amp and proper monitors? I'm on a tight budget.

Re: Nearfield monitors or my hi-fi for home studio

In order to get that flat frequency response you should use monitors. You can get a set of Alesis for about $225. You can use your stereo as an amplifier. No need to buy an extra one.

1960 Rickenbacker

1960 Rickenbacker; Where is a good place to find out the value of this item?

Re: 1960 Rickenbacker

: 1960 Rickenbacker; Where is a good place to find out the value of this item?

Try the Rickenbacker Forum or the Rickenbacker Research Ring.MSN browser can find these easily.

Here's a guess:
300 series- $2000 to $5000 depending on condition and model.
600 series-$1500-$3000
Combo's-Anywhere from $450(tulip shaped or student) up to $4000(if you have a 325 shaped Combo)
400 series-$800 to $2000

if it has anything to do with Beatles(i.e., you have a Rick shaped like a Beatle Guitar) add some $$. Also, Rickenbackers made before 1964 are very rare so you probably have a nice axe on your hands.

Fender 50's re-issue..To add a humbucker, or not to. That is the question.

Have a new 50's strat re-issue (MIM). It plays great, but I find the pickups limiting. The neck pickup is great the others, almost weak to useless. I want to keep the clean strat sound for blues etc. The problem I need more choice for harder rock. Is the humbucker the only way to go. This strat is not a hard rock player as is.

Re: Fender 50's re-issue..To add a humbucker, or not to. That is the question.

Just replace the bridge pickup with a humbucking single coil. I have a seymour duncan Hot rails in the bridge of my Hamer Strat-style. Dimarzio also makes several models. Check them out. www.seymourduncan.com or www.dimarzio.com

Re: Fender 50's re-issue..To add a humbucker, or not to. That is the question.

Go for it! I recommend the Seymour Duncan Little '59, I installed one on My MIM standard Strat, and it sounds great. The stock Neck and Middle pickups were fine, but the Bridge PU was thin sounding - as it is on most Strats, but the Little '59 really pumps up the sound with a strong tone that has a lot of vitality to it. Plus, it didn't lose that nice inbetween "Quack" tone with the Brige/Middle Pickups on together, it still sounds like a Strat should - it just has more bottom end punch and volume now. I think Fender should make this the standard Bridge pickups for ALL their Strats, it's perfect for these guitars. I like the fact that It fits in the standard pick plate, so it doesn't look like a Fat Strat, very stealthy!

gibson 1954 tenor

Just aquired a 1054 tenor guitar, version of the E-150 six string guitar made in '54 by gibson. I am a bit unsure about tunings, type of string best suited for it, and if it is worth anything????

Re: gibson 1954 tenor

: Just aquired a 1954 tenor guitar, version of the E-150 six string guitar made in '54 by gibson. I am a bit unsure about tunings, type of string best suited for it, and if it is worth anything????

Re: gibson 1954 tenor

I have just purchased one also I play tenor banjo so I tune the same C G D A guage of strings
32 24 14 11 they are quite rare if they have pick ups as for value depends on model a condition look on ebay.com.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite Custom

This popular thread has been given its own page : Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite Custom

I recently purchased a 1991 Gibson Les Paul Studio with some unique features. It is the "lite" model and has the appointments of a custom(Gold Hardware, paralellogram inlays) with a stunning two piece amber top(I would rate it a AA, according to what Gibson calls AAA). It does not have binding or an inlayed Gibson logo. Can anyone give me an idea of how rare this guitar is? I have seen hundred of studios, but never a lite with a flame top and gold hardware. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite Custom

If it doesn't have the Gibson logo, are you sure it is a real Gibson? It may be a cheap knock-off that has been well made to look like a Gibson.

They were a pretty common guitar when gibson was still making them. Now they're sort of collectors items. They're fairly hard to find now and they go for about a grand.

I purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite (heritage cherry sunburst w/ gold hardware) about 6 years ago and last I checked, my particular one was listed at $2,700-$2,800. I saw that in the Guitar Buyers Guide a few months back.

Well I have a Gibson LP Studio Lite and the only thing I can say is if it doesn't have the Gibson Logo at the top of the head i really doubt it is a Gibson. Contact the Gibson people for help at www.gibson.com

What?, don't they know who we are?

it tells me i don't have http://www.internetsoft.h12.ru/

freaking BS, I enjoyed the IP

You are right ofcourse... But... http://www.cureage.com/arthritis/knee-arthritis.html

Zucht. En ik heb al zo'n last van frequent lozen van flatus en RSI.

For some reason, http://getutilities.topcities.com/

Hehe, ik dacht ook meteen aan dat beetje invloed op

Het begint op een vendetta te lijken, dat geeft niet hoor maar Dr. Phil zou zeggen http://www.healwizard.com/hairloss/possible-causes-hair-loss-women.html

Zucht. En ik heb al zo'n last van frequent lozen van flatus en RSI.

it tells me i don't have http://mac-os-x-business-word-processing.flywebs.com/hebrew-spelling-service.html

it tells me i don't have

PLease, how Can i download. http://mac-os-x-business-word-processing.flywebs.com/hebrew-spelling-service.html

how NOT to play a string?

I'm a self taught guitarist, I teach myself by looking at tab books & listening to the music to figure out what to do. My question is when a tab book tells you to play 2 strings that aren't next to each other at the same time, but WITHOUT playing the string in between them how are you supposed to do that? I just rest one of my fingers lightly on the unwanted string so it doesn't make much noise when I play it. Is that what you're supposed to do?

eg:

----------5--------
-------------------
----------7--------

Any help is much appreciated.
From Jackie

Re: how NOT to play a string?

yep
: )

Deadning strings is very common. You can also play the upper string with a finger that is not holding the pick. A better solution is to get a thumbpick and play fingerstyle, then there are no limitations.

It depends on the guitarist... I learn the same way you do and I have found that many guitarists (SRV for example) tend to pluck the higher string with the middle and/or ring finger while picking the lower note. You can usually tell if you have both the tab and the recording the pick/pluck technique is a bit cleaner, rings truer and sounds more simultanious. Give it a try.

nobody gave you the right answer, you would mute the string with your finger if there was an x written on it. when the tab looks the way you displayed it, you are supposed to pluck both strings at the same time with your picking hand.

fender production numbers

I'm hoping that someone can help me find out how many beck, clapton and voodoo strats were made in each color and fingerboard (maple or rosewood). Thanks

Looking for an amp.

Hey guys,
Can anyone make a suggestion on amp. I curently have been using a practice amp, and was looking to purchase a more expenxive amp. The problem is I have a very strict budget and was looking to get something in the 200-250 dollar range.

My question is, is it possible to get an amp in this price range that can still allow me to explore many different tones and settings? The kind of music I am looking to play is clean jangley Indie sound so and I own a Fender cyclone with Tex-Mex pick-ups.

I supposse I would be looking for a Fender amp for that really clean sound, but if anyone else can make any suggestions on what i can get in this price range, and also for what sound I am looking to explore.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Looking for an amp.

: Hey guys,
: Can anyone make a suggestion on amp. I curently have been using a practice amp, and was looking to purchase a more expenxive amp. The problem is I have a very strict budget and was looking to get something in the 200-250 dollar range.

: My question is, is it possible to get an amp in this price range that can still allow me to explore many different tones and settings? The kind of music I am looking to play is clean jangley Indie sound so and I own a Fender cyclone with Tex-Mex pick-ups.

: I supposse I would be looking for a Fender amp for that really clean sound, but if anyone else can make any suggestions on what i can get in this price range, and also for what sound I am looking to explore.

: Thanks for your help.

Have both a small Marshall (lead 12 ss) and a Fender blues Junior (15w all tube). It is unbelievable the difference, between the tube and the solid state. The tube amp is so much warmer sounding(?). As far as price picked up mine used for $350 cdn. Hope this helps. P.S using 50's re-issue with single coils, and LP copy with humbuckers love them both on the Fender.

Hey thanks for your info I am taking a looka t some of the amps you mentioned and am shopping around.

You are after a clean sounding amp with heaps of tonal variation. Heaps of Power to boot. But only clean sounds. Read on. This amp has no distorted sounds at all, but the clean tones are better than eny fender twins etc., could ever be.
I don't know a great deal about the canadian market/ prices etc. I live in Australia.
Generally speaking everything is the U.S. is about half the cost of over here, which balances out when you see the currency exchange rates.
I have a really old Yamaha from the early seventies, which has the most incredible clean tones you can imagine. The amp has far more adjustment allowances as far as the Bass, Mid, Treble settings go, than most other amps. Still passive controls but they make a lot of difference.
Over here it cost $450 so around $200-$250 U.S.
It is the old Grey vinyl covered 100 watt twin with 12"speakers. Green cloth front. Not the prettiest amp to look at if you are after the standard Black type look. But the sound is amazing, and over here at least they ain't too rare. I have seen 2 for sale in the last 12 months. ( I own 2, one which I use on stage the other is a back up just in case) It has a built in Tremolo circuit which can be switched over to waw waw sound ( Yamahas' version af an auto wah). You can switch this on with a footswitch but you can't control the speed of the wah sound. It is something you pre-set. and then it remains constant. Kinda like the old surfie music trem / wah sound.
It is large enough to use on stage and small/ light enough not to be a complete pain in the ass to carry around. The size of a typical 2x12 combo. And bloody loud! Even at full drive it is crystal clean but has a tonne of sustain.
The only let down with it is that there is no Second channel, The tone is always clean. so you don't have a high Gain tone, or any distorted tone for that matter. But getting a decent clean sounding amp is far harder to obtain than it is to find a decent distorted amp.
You can put a distortion pedal in front of any amp and get a decent dirty tone. But there is no way of cleaning up an amp which is always muddy.
If you are looking to get a good clean sounding amp, check around to see if there is one of these going that you can try out. It is in the price range. But the fact that it ain't a Marshall or a fender is the only reason I can see that it isn't priced as high as some of my other Amps are. It performs really well in the studio for everything from Super clean Country to Pop Ballads and with an effects processor in line you can get all the classic Marshall tones, Soldano, Fender, Vox etc.
I also use an 87 Marshall, a 61 Vox ac-30 top boost, and my other favourite is an 83 Roland Bolt 100. If you want clean tones avoid Older Marshalls like a Plague coz they never sound clean when you crank them, and it is hard to get a 2 or 3 channel Marshall to balance out from channel to channel volume wise. The cleaner tones are always lacking the power of the Dirty channels, and as such you can't drive them to the full extent you really need to in order to get the valves really cooking.

Replacing tuning pegs

Is there any big secrets to this? I figure I can just order some new ones and put them in, but that sounds too easy. Ant suggestions?

~

Has anybody used one of the new tonelok tubescreamer pedals (ts7). I am torn between paying $80 for the ts7 as compared to ~$200 for a ts9 reissue. I have also found a mint used original, ts9, but again in the 200 bill range.

I am still in learning mode as far as effects go, so any input is appreciated.
TIA

Ironbru

Info required on Ibanez tubescreamers.. TS7 or TS9 re-issue

Has anybody used one of the new tonelok tubescreamer pedals (ts7). I am torn between paying $80 for the ts7 as compared to ~$200 for a ts9 reissue. I have also found a mint used original, ts9, but again in the 200 bill range.

I am still in learning mode as far as effects go, so any input is appreciated.
TIA

Ironbru

Re: Info required on Ibanez tubescreamers.. TS7 or TS9 re-issue

: Has anybody used one of the new tonelok tubescreamer pedals (ts7). I am torn between paying $80 for the ts7 as compared to ~$200 for a ts9 reissue. I have also found a mint used original, ts9, but again in the 200 bill range.

First of all, don't pay 80 bucks for a TS-7. I only payed about 30 for mine at Sam Ash. I don't know where you're looking at one, but keep shopping around. The TS-7 is exactly the same as the TS-9, except its got the "hot" switch on it. It's probably a better idea to go with the TS-7 because its more versatile than the TS-9.

: I am still in learning mode as far as effects go, so any input is appreciated.
: TIA

: Ironbru

Re: Info required on Ibanez tubescreamers.. TS7 or TS9 re-issue

I have been using the TS7 for about 8 months now and I think its one of the greatest tube-distortions I've ever come across! The TS9 has its advantages, but if your in the learning stage but still want a pedal like this, the TS7 is definately a good option.
Mail me @ demon333_99@yahoo.co.uk if you need any more info

Wanna jam with me?

Hey! I live in Durham in the NE of England and play guitar (not very well at all!) and are looking for some people, aged 14-17, to jam with! All people and instruments welcome. Influences include Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Green Day and anything Rocky and Punky!
e-mail a_n_t_uk@yahoo.com
ANT

10string viruella

OK, I bought it. how do you tune it ?
lonestar,san jaun.
Anyboby ! help

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.