Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

need help identifying a bass

Im trying to identify a bass i've seen on a video.
The bass Twiggy plays in the Coma White video.
This is a pretty cool looking bass .. anyone know what it is? email please

need help identifying a bass

Im trying to identify a bass i've seen on a video.
The bass Twiggy plays in the Coma White video.
This is a pretty cool looking bass .. anyone know what it is? email please

BTW: for anyone who doesnt know Twiggy is the bassist for Marilyn Manson

Re: need help identifying a bass

tell me if u know
but i think it is a gibson

ps: the bass player of nirvana used the same i tnink

Re: need help identifying a bass

its called a Gibson RD Artist. i just saw that video today and wondered the same thing. it is cool isnt it? although when i looked it up, i couldnt find one in black like his...hmm. oh well, thats what its called.

acoustic repair

Does anyone know of a good book or website about acoustic gutair repairs.
I have a crack in the side panel of my Ibanez I would like to repair myself.
Any hints?
Thanks,
Jim

Noisy volume control

What is the best way to fix a noisy volume control on a Strat.
I should know this, but alas I do not!
Thanks,
Jim

Re: Noisy volume control

Try some electrical contact cleaner. If your Strat is old, you may consider replacing it. Easy fix.

Amps again

Does anyone know anything about the Nobels Streetman 10 portable amp. I saw one on Ebay for a good price and was wondering if anyone had experience with these amps. Again as I had posted on here before i am looking for an amp at a good price that i can still do a couple of things with, like reverb and etc.

Thanks again for your help.

info query

What is the english name for the distance between the guitar bridge and the nut? In italian we call it diapason.

what to buy what to buy!?

[The body of this post has been lost]

Re: what to buy what to buy!?

What style are you playing - rock or metal you pick up a good Marshall- IMO you can't go wrong w a Marshall Head - you can also pick up a used 4X12 cab if these are the styles you are playing- it all depends on what you are going after- I know you can pick up a Peavey 5150 used for cheap also.

Re: what to buy what to buy!?

i play mostly rock and hard rock, but i need a good clean tone for other work i might do aswell. I'm really looking at the mesa boogie nomad at the moment. anyone got one?

TRULY Hand-made acoustic guitar

Hello,

I am new on this board.

I have been playing professionally for 11 years now. I used to play guitar for Emilio(BMG).

Here is a tip that helps a friend of mine and you...

a friend of mine ,Don Macias Rippy makes what are called Bajo Sexto s and Bajo Quinto s---these are Mexican 12 and 10 string baritone guitars.

He also makes acoustic guitars. These are HAND-MADE guitars--not too many of us have seen a truly hand-made guitar---companies like Taylor, martin, etc who make hand-made guitars only use the hands to move the guitars parts from 1 machine to another--and it shows--their work is beautiful.

Don's work is just as beautiful, but he makes these gutars on his kitchen table!! BY HAND!!

The sound is INCREDIBLE!! My guitar is a high grade Spruce top, with Rosewood sides and back--mahogany binding on the front of the body-----mahogany neck-----Wenge bridge and fretboard. The sound is so open and clear and full, and crisp.

I bought this because it was made for sound--the sound hole has no rosette decoration( the decoration kills the vibration and tone of the top)-it is just plain---and the finish minimal in order to allow the top to ring freely---all that heavy clear laqueur on a gutars KILLS the tone.

Anyway, Don is always willing to take an order to make a guitar or bajo and he has 2 in the works right now for the Dixie Chicks---and 1 that will appear in the Jan 2001 issue of PlayBoy as a background prop for Rebeccas Ramos, 3 more local Tecas customers, 1 more for me--this will be my 3rd instrument, second guitar from him.

This is the best sounding acoustic guitar I have heard and I have tried a few...

anyway for anybody interested, the prices are more than reasonable--I keep telling him to go up on his price , but he lives in South Texas--nobody charges well in Texas--I paid $2500 for the bajo quinto and only $1400 for the acoustic---both should be $3500 a piece for the quality of the sound.

If anyone wants to see pics, please let me know.

Give him a call at 210-922-0245. I thought I would pass on this Bargain of a price a hand made acoustic -- just don't freak out--his name is Don Macias RIPPY--he is in his 30's --he has Blonde hair and blue eyes--yet he has a thick Mexican accent--go figure--it is south texas!!

Thanks,

carl

Re: TRULY Hand-made acoustic guitar

Carl,
Is this the same lengendary Macias from San Antonio?

Pedro

: Carl,
: Is this the same lengendary Macias from San Antonio?

: Pedro
hey what web page can i go to see a macias bajo sexto or the number to contact the store at san antonio

Does he have an email adress so I can see If he can make me what I want. does he have any pics of his work

hi

hi i just whant to know wher is a good web site to find pick guards for a bajo quinto

hi

hi i just whant to know wher is a good web site to find pick guards for a bajo quinto

Finger nails

I am a motor mechanic and part time musician and hoping to move on to finger style picking but I am unable to because of soft and damaged finger nails.I have tried many "beauticians" products without success - any tips would be appreciated.

Re: Finger nails

Ed,

I understand your situation, cause many of my past guitar students had various problems
with their fingernails. I will only try to be as helpful as I can: take calcium tablets or drink more
milk to promote growth, don't bite them (many people do this), use a nail hardener to protect
what you have, and just concentrate on not breaking them with your daily activities. In your
business, this may be near impossible! You may look into fingernails that you can glue onto
the ones you already have, or even using fingerpicks that sort of clip onto your finger.
Hopefully, this info is a little helpful. I am a professional fingerstylist and have just released a
CD at GuitarSolo.com, so I know how important our fingernails are for proper tone. Good luck
with them...Bob

: I am a motor mechanic and part time musician and hoping to move on to finger style picking but I am unable to because of soft and damaged finger nails.I have tried many "beauticians" products without success - any tips would be appreciated.

Re: Finger nails

im a beautician ask me anything and ill help (TRY)

rachaellopez@hotmail.com

Re: Hi, valllll are you not sick today

hi how are you today

lead guitar breaks

I play rythum guitar in a country and western band but want to do some lead breaks.
Is there any info. on existing lead breaks for C&W songs so I can start off playing set pieces until I adapt my own style?

tokai humming bird

tokai humming bird

This popular thread has been given its own page : tokai humming bird

BOSS GT3/GT5 Patches

BOSS GT3/GT5 Patches

This popular thread has been given its own page : BOSS GT3/GT5 Patches

speakers

I want to replace one of my 4ohm 15" speakers with 4 8" 32 ohm speakers. If I wire the 8"ers parallel, that should get them to 4 ohm. I'm just fishing here, so if I'm way off the mark please let me know. I'm also not exactly sure what the difference between a series and parallel wiring is. Thanks

Re: speakers

: I want to replace one of my 4ohm 15" speakers with 4 8" 32 ohm speakers. If I wire the 8"ers parallel, that should get them to 4 ohm. I'm just fishing here, so if I'm way off the mark please let me know. I'm also not exactly sure what the difference between a series and parallel wiring is. Thanks

If you wire 4 32 ohm speaker in parallel you will produce an 8 ohm load.
To wire in parallel you connect all speaker grounds to ground and all hots (positives) to the positive
each time you connect to speakers in parallel the impeadance (ohms) is cut in half.
two 32 ohm speakers wired in parallel will produce a 16 ohm load. add two more wired in parallel will produce a 16 ohm load. Put the two
16 ohm loads together and you get 8 ohms.
In a series you will connect the hot (postive) to the positive of the first speaker, then connect to
ground (negative) of that speaker to the hot of the next speaker and connect that speaker to ground.
This produces a doubling of the impeadance ( ohms ) two 32 ohm speaker wire in series will produce
a 64 ohm load. 4 in series will produce a 128 ohm load.

Hope this infomation will help you.

Dan

Tube tremelo pedals

Does anyone know of a company that makes a high quality tube tremelo pedal?
if you do, please e-mail me with contacts to that company.
thx

The guitar is a miniature orchestra!

Guitars! What beautiful instruments!

Gretsch Guitar Info

Can anyone tell me if a Gretsch Sparkle Jet Synchromatic Guitar for 369.00 dollars is a good deal. Does anyone know anyhting about the quality of this guitar.
It's a semi-hollow body.

lefties

I'm a lefthander looking for a tele. Can't stretch funds to a pukka Fender. Does anyone know of a Squire leftie tele, as I can't seem to find trace of one anywhere. Alternatively, any secondhand leftie teles out there (3-500 quid)?

Re: lefties

: I'm a lefthander looking for a tele. Can't stretch funds to a pukka Fender. Does anyone know of a Squire leftie tele, as I can't seem to find trace of one anywhere. Alternatively, any secondhand leftie teles out there (3-500 quid)?

Try Ebay auctions. Go to the electric guitars section and perform 3 searches.

Search for "lefty" then "left-handed" then "southpaw"
These searches should give you lots of choices.
Good luck.

Multiefect

What´s the best guitar multiefect for hard disc recording and live playing in one?

Re: Multiefect Korg A4

Quisiera conocer las características de la pedalera multiefectos KORG A4 ya que compré una usada y no tiene manual de instrucciones

how do I get my guitar to sound like a violin???

I was watching Yngwie perform an awesome classical solo on one of his instructional videos. His sound was very much like a violin. It was great! Does anyone know how I can achieve this type of sound? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

Justin.

Re: how do I get my guitar to sound like a violin???

Yngwie uses a trick to simulate bowing the strings. It is difficult to do unless you have a guitar
where the cloume know is near the bridge ( like on a strat). What you have to do is roll the
volume to zero, pick a note and then roll the volume up. You then roll the volume down pick
a note and roll back up, etc... Use your pinky to roll the volume. It is tricky. You can also use
a volume pedal for the same effect. Yngwie throws in some delay to give it an even cooler
effect.

: I was watching Yngwie perform an awesome classical solo on one of his instructional videos. His sound was very much like a violin. It was great! Does anyone know how I can achieve this type of sound? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

: Justin.

BUY A VIOLIN :)

: I was watching Yngwie perform an awesome classical solo on one of his instructional videos. His sound was very much like a violin. It was great! Does anyone know how I can achieve this type of sound? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

: Justin.

Get a bow and use the mutherfucker!

ESP vs. Ibanez

Which would be better as far as sound, durability, and quality, an Ibanez RG270, or an ESP LTD MH-100 ?
They seem to be very close in the set up, except for the pickups. Which would have better pickups, the ibanez or ESP?
Thanks

Re: ESP vs. Ibanez

: Which would be better as far as sound, durability, and quality, an Ibanez RG270, or an ESP LTD MH-100 ?
: They seem to be very close in the set up, except for the pickups. Which would have better pickups, the ibanez or ESP?
: Thanks

The bset thing to do is bring your amp to try each one of the guitars. This way you can see what each one sounds like on your equipment. They will sound different on other amps. Good luck.

: : Which would be better as far as sound, durability, and quality, an Ibanez RG270, or an ESP LTD MH-100 ?
: : They seem to be very close in the set up, except for the pickups. Which would have better pickups, the ibanez or ESP?
: : Thanks

:
: The bset thing to do is bring your amp to try each one of the guitars. This way you can see what each one sounds like on your equipment. They will sound different on other amps. Good luck.

Don't forget, the guitars have different necks also. Make sure you take the time to buy the one that is most comfortable to play. "FEEL" is everything.

go with the esp

With the LTD and Ibanez you are talking about two very low end guitars. They will both sound like junk.

: Which would be better as far as sound, durability, and quality, an Ibanez RG270, or an ESP LTD MH-100 ?
: They seem to be very close in the set up, except for the pickups. Which would have better pickups, the ibanez or ESP?
: Thanks

Silvertone acoustic guitar

I have a Silvertone acoustic guitar in mint condtion. It's from the 1960s or 70s. I was wondering where I could find information or an apprasial on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

guitar apprasial

i have a jbp remake of the gibson sg its made in korea and is probably a few years old. its brand new. mint condition. how much do you think its worth? thankyou

Acoustic guitars

Can anyone tell me what agood price range for an acoustic guitar is? I guess what I'm trying to ask is how little cna oyu spend ona n acoustic guitar before the sound and playing is going to suffer?

Re: Acoustic guitars

What is your budget? Taylor makes a model called the BIG BABY that runs around $325. Sounds killer for the money,
I wouldn't spend less than that.

: What is your budget? Taylor makes a model called the BIG BABY that runs around $325. Sounds killer for the money,
: I wouldn't spend less than that.

My budget is around that price range.

Thanks so much for your help guys.

i've had a washburn acoustic for a number of years now as my first guitar. it's ac/ele and i bought it for 375$... and i'm still in to it.
if it's for home use go just with the acoustic. to add a cheat and plug-in to an acoustic runs about 85$; depends on what you think is worth it. have fun. that's the main point. go for sound and what fits you. go for what you like. the price will pay off in the end. good luck lyle.

AMANDA, WHERE ARE YOU, EMAIL ADDRESS

please reply my letter
my address : isach_23@altavista.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.