Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - October, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: accustic guitarsalveraz flattop

: i want an accustic guitar for cheap. Can you Help?

i would like to no what a 1984 or1986 alveraz guitar will cost.

Thanks Lenny, Sammy, Allmans

Just wanted to say thank you to Lenny Kravitz, Sammy Hagar, and The Allman Brothers for helping the kids. Each has donated a personally autographed guitar to be auctioned away November 10th at buynsellit.com All proceeds for this charity auction are going to Kidz 2000 and Beyond, a Miami based charity that helps victims of child abuse and neglect. I just want to make sure every body knows about this. I believe that this thing runs for 10 days, so hey, bid on the stuff and help out the kids!!!
Thanks guys,
Tom

Action on a Martin D-15

What is the correct setting for the action on the d-15? Can adjustments be made for a low setup easily?

Re: Action on a Martin D-15

: What is the correct setting for the action on the d-15? Can adjustments be made for a low setup easily?

Dear Kevin;

Action adjustments for your guitar can be made easily, if you do the work patiently with great care. Before action adjustment, make the neck absolutely straight. Straightening the neck will lower the strings over the neck. Next, I recomend that you make more than one bridge so you can try different string heights at the bride. I found that the Martin tone was lost if the bridge was too low. After finding the bridge that works for you, lower the strings at the nut until they are about .oo4 thousands of an inch above the crown of the first fret.

Actual height of action is dependent on the construction of the guitar and the touch of the player. Heavy hands need higher action.

Finally add releif, or bow, to the neck to give the string some clearance to move.

I hope this helps.

If you can't do the work your-self be prepared to spend up to $100.00 for an experienced craftsman to do this work. I hope you already know someone in your area with a good reputation.

Re: Action on a Martin D-15

: : What is the correct setting for the action on the d-15? Can adjustments be made for a low setup easily?

: Dear Kevin;

: Action adjustments for your guitar can be made easily, if you do the work patiently with great care. Before action adjustment, make the neck absolutely straight. Straightening the neck will lower the strings over the neck. Next, I recomend that you make more than one bridge so you can try different string heights at the bride. I found that the Martin tone was lost if the bridge was too low. After finding the bridge that works for you, lower the strings at the nut until they are about .oo4 thousands of an inch above the crown of the first fret.

: Actual height of action is dependent on the construction of the guitar and the touch of the player. Heavy hands need higher action.

: Finally add releif, or bow, to the neck to give the string some clearance to move.

: I hope this helps.

:
: If you can't do the work your-self be prepared to spend up to $100.00 for an experienced craftsman to do this work. I hope you already know someone in your area with a good reputation.

How do you straighten the neck? With the rod? How do you adjust the action? Altering the saddle and nut, or the truss rod? When I bought a Martin D-15 the salesman noticed that the neck was lightly bowed, the fretboard was slightly further away from the center of the fret board. He adjusted the truss rod and it was perfect, as in strings even and very close, with easy fingering and no buzzing on any string and fret combination. He never touched the saddle/bridge or the nut...just the truss rod and he said not too much either. What do you think?

How much is this guitar worth?

I recently was given a guitar and i don't know much about them. this one is an epiphone i think. it also says gibson on it. any way, the serial number is c197120955 and i cant find it any where so if any one knows what it's worth please tell me.

Re: How much is this guitar worth?

: I recently was given a guitar and i don't know much about them. this one is an epiphone i think. it also says gibson on it. any way, the serial number is c197120955 and i cant find it any where so if any one knows what it's worth please tell me.

Look up the Gibson web site. You can give them the Serial # and they will give you the info. BTW, If it says Gibson, it's not an Epiphone.

ok i just got a acoustic guitar and i wonted to know how much it was worth .it has a .k. on the neck that it it was made in korea and the model number is k118
and just wont to know how much it was worth .thanks

i just baught a washburn pro model wing series 22 fret,rosewoodpearl dot fingerboard,2 tone w/ 3 position switch. and i would like to know how much it is worth. i paid 175 dollars with its originall case and its in mint condition please reply when you have an answer

IHAVE A GIBSON LES PAUL JUNIOR VINTAGE AND WANT TO SELLIT BUT DONT KNOW HOW MUCH ITS WORTH ANY IDEAS

:

:I have a epiphone beast guitar an i want to no how much it is worth . please let me no thank u

coated guitar strings / string corrosion / breaking

hey everyone - i found this great new product for curing the "corrosion" problem with guitar strings, especially good for "acid hands." it's not the "coated" strings. you just apply it to your strings and wipe of the excess. check it out at: www.stringlife.com. post your results so others can see if it really works like they say. so far it's worked awesome for me!

coated guitar strings / string corrosion / breaking

I'm an italian engineering student and I'd like to write a paper about fretted strings of guitar (acoustic) for an examination of corrosion. Can you tell me something about this kind of corrosion, in particular how it happens, string's material and possible remedies?
Thanks
Daniele

Epi guitar????????????????????????????????????

Epi guitar????????????????????????????????????

This popular thread has been given its own page : Epi guitar????????????????????????????????????

What is my guitar worth?

Hello there... I have an Epi guitar (model number A-12), and I'm not sure what year it is. It's at least 10 years old (that's how long ago I got it). It's in immaculate condition, and I wanted to know how much it's worth. Any help would be appriciated. Thank you soooo much!!

Re: What is my guitar worth?

: Little info on Epi. A subsidiary of Epiphone which is a subsidiary of Gibson. Epi's are produced in China or Indonesia as an entry level line to current Epiphone guitars. Only two models currently listed, retailing @ $209 and $189. Maybe someone else has more info on older models.

Where Can I Buy A Learn-to-Play Folk/Acustic Guitar VIDEO?

Sure, I can play some guitar, but I am rusty as well as would like to improve, so I would like to know a good place online that sells learn-to-play folk guitar video's. By "folk," I am referring to Peter/Paul & Mary, Joan Baez, Donovan, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, you get the picture. Please email me with the info! HerbalHealer@altavista.com Thanks!

Gt3 or RP2000?

i need some opinion of the differences of both effect? which is better off in features and user friendliness?

Re: Gt3 or RP2000?

: i need some opinion of the differences of both effect? which is better off in features and user friendliness?

: i read a review on the gt-3 vs the rp 14d (not the 2000) from guitarworld.com and they said that they both capabilities but the gt-3 can do more if you have the time to program it. so the gt-3 is less user friendly

Yamaki Guitars

Yamaki Guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Yamaki Guitars

help w/ determining age/value of a Takamine

help w/ determining age/value of a Takamine

This popular thread has been given its own page : help w/ determining age/value of a Takamine

Ken J-160e valuation

ken email me for a valuation on your J-160e
Julien@pierson.fsnet.co.uk

1st guitar shopping experience...

hi... i'm in the 1st guitar stage and am interested in the acoustics. i know about the classical and "folk" types, but am confused with the brands, etc. that distinguish a quality guitar. what is good brand that is not horrendously pricey and how much should i expect to pay?

Re: 1st guitar shopping experience...

: hi... i'm in the 1st guitar stage and am interested in the acoustics. i know about the classical and "folk" types, but am confused with the brands, etc. that distinguish a quality guitar. what is good brand that is not horrendously pricey and how much should i expect to pay?

You really need to find someone you can trust to go and help you pick out a guitar. The name does not matter much so long as it has decent action and sound.
There are lots of moderately priced guitars out there between $150-$200. You just have to find the one that's
best for you. Good luck.

Re: 1st guitar shopping experience...

koss okhtkom kolkom ya ekhwat el mtalagaaaa

Roland Gt-33 guitar Synth

Does anyone have any experience with the GT-33 guitar synth and the midi pickup?
I was interested in purchasing this and wondering what experience people might have and if they would recommend it??
Thanks for the advice in advance.

Re: Roland Gt-33 guitar Synth

: Does anyone have any experience with the GT-33 guitar synth and the midi pickup?
: I was interested in purchasing this and wondering what experience people might have and if they would recommend it??
: Thanks for the advice in advance.

Re: Roland Gt-33 guitar Synth

: : Does anyone have any experience with the GT-33 guitar synth and the midi pickup?
: : I was interested in purchasing this and wondering what experience people might have and if they would recommend it??
: : Thanks for the advice in advance.

Hi, I've recentelly buy an Gt-33 and I thik is a great and innovative equipment. THE PROS: There is not latency when you play a string, it respond ok to string bendings. The wind instruments like sax or trumpet is extremelly close to the original tone an you can add vibrato and other expression technics. If you get tired of the presets and tones you can connect to you PC or MAC throught MIDI output and you can use any soft synth you get, I use the Absynth, samplers like halion, PRO-53, Reason, etc. properly configurated it sends all midi CCs and poliphonic mode.
You can connect a midi controller and use it like any synth module.

CONS: If you are an old school guitar player probabily you will not get convinced at the guitar synth presets and tones, theyre are close but not the same to original tones. Other thing, the unit cannot reproduce the forced or pinched harmonics and the natural harmonics sounds funny, but I think it is too much to ask.

So, if you are an music composer you will find this unit awesome, playing chords with polisynth sounds great, but if you are planning to use it like a midi guitar with external synth I know there is an unexpensive roland synth guitar, check it his web site.

so long!

Doctor Rhythm DR-5

I was wondering if anyone would recommend the DR-5?
Is there any other machines that you would purchase in place of the DR5?
Any thoughts or comments on the Dr5 would be appreciated.
Best wishes

Want '92 Guitar concert "night of the guitar" in Spain

Does anyone out their remember this PPV concert. ALL the greats (Satriani,Vai,May,Bettencourt,ect) on one stage. I want a copy!!!!!

friend

bagaimana cara saya berteman dengan kirk hammet

Line6 Spider 1x12 or Princeton Stereo Chorus

I'm looking for an amp in the $400 range and it's been over 20 years since I bought one (Peavey tube amp, and an Ampeg ReverbRocket back in the 60's. Sold them in the 70's and have been playing acoustic since then.) I want to get back into electric guitar playing. I play 60's-70's music (Beatles, Eagles, etc.) and some chord/melody stuff, mostly for my own amusement. I'm trying to decide between the Line 6 Spider 1x12 and the Fender Princeton Stereo Chorus. I've read user reviews in Harmony Central on both, but no one has compared the two. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Re: Line6 Spider 1x12 or Princeton Stereo Chorus

: I'm looking for an amp in the $400 range and it's been over 20 years since I bought one (Peavey tube amp, and an Ampeg ReverbRocket back in the 60's. Sold them in the 70's and have been playing acoustic since then.) I want to get back into electric guitar playing. I play 60's-70's music (Beatles, Eagles, etc.) and some chord/melody stuff, mostly for my own amusement. I'm trying to decide between the Line 6 Spider 1x12 and the Fender Princeton Stereo Chorus. I've read user reviews in Harmony Central on both, but no one has compared the two. Any suggestions?
: Thanks.

Take your guitar to the music store and try each one to which one sounds better with your gear. Also, try other amps, too. Try not to limit yourself, try EVERYTHING. Good luck

Re: Line6 Spider 1x12 or Princeton Stereo Chorus

##
Yo, definitely go with the Line6 Spider amp. It's the most compatible amp I've ever used. 6 different amp simulations, totally customizable effects, and great power. Definitely a good amp.

: I'm looking for an amp in the $400 range and it's been over 20 years since I bought one (Peavey tube amp, and an Ampeg ReverbRocket back in the 60's. Sold them in the 70's and have been playing acoustic since then.) I want to get back into electric guitar playing. I play 60's-70's music (Beatles, Eagles, etc.) and some chord/melody stuff, mostly for my own amusement. I'm trying to decide between the Line 6 Spider 1x12 and the Fender Princeton Stereo Chorus. I've read user reviews in Harmony Central on both, but no one has compared the two. Any suggestions?
: Thanks.

Thanks Lenny, Sammy, and Allmans

I just wanted to say thank you to Lenny Kravitz, Sammy Hagar and the Allman Brothers for each donating a personally autographed guitar to be auctioned away at buynsellit.com on November 10th. The benefits of the auction goes to Kidz 2000 and Beyond, a Miami based charity who helps kids that have been abused or neglected. Hey, it's your chance to own the guitar of your dreams, and help out some kids as well. A very good cause. Thanks once again guys!!! John

Value or Find Guitars at Auction

Price guide, http://www.antiquecast.com , allows searches of recent auction results. Auction search lists sale items at several auction sites. Pictures are often available. Concise searches are best with the 3 most characteristic terms. For ready reference this site is worth a bookmark.

need a hand therapist

I can't play my guitar due to some problems with one fo my fingers and need a hand therapist or surgeon. Does anybody know of one?

Re: need a hand therapist

: I can't play my guitar due to some problems with one fo my fingers and need a hand therapist or surgeon. Does anybody know of one?

You need to provide more detail about your problem.

Re: need a hand therapist

: : I can't play my guitar due to some problems with one fo my fingers and need a hand therapist or surgeon. Does anybody know of one?

: You need to provide more detail about your problem.

:alternaively you need an Occupational Therapist with experience in hands. I would oblige but we're in the UK. cheers Rich

Value or Find Guitars at Auction

Price guide, http://www.antiquecast.com , allows searches of recent auction results. Auction search lists sale items at several auction sites. Pictures are often available. Concise searches are best with the 3 most characteristic terms. For ready reference this site is worth a bookmark.

opinions on squier fat telecaster

i'm looking to buy a first guitar. something a step up from complete novice. opinions on the squier standard fat telecaster? what would you say its on par with? how much should it go for new, and how much 3 years and five years old?

thanks
sb

Re: opinions on squier fat telecaster

: i'm looking to buy a first guitar. something a step up from complete novice. opinions on the squier standard fat telecaster? what would you say its on par with? how much should it go for new, and how much 3 years and five years old?

: thanks
: sb

You are asking questions about a very inexspensive guitar. It can be compared to lots of $200-$300 guitars. Check places like Ebay to see what used ones go for. Good luck.

I would opt for the std strat instead it will be worth
more when you trade it in. but if you really dont mind a squire go with the one with the Floyd Rose tremblo
you wont be dissapointed

i have one of them kramers from musicyo.com and theyre great. I'm getting a second guitar soon and I'm thinking of getting a squier affinity series or standard squire tele. I've heard really good things about those models in particular and the affinity goes for about 150 and the standard goes for about 200 (look on www.musiciansfriend.com and www.americanmusical.com) I heard that teles has a thinner neck- which is helpful for a beginner (or would u want to learn the hard way so it gets easier?)

: i'm looking to buy a first guitar. something a step up from complete novice. opinions on the squier standard fat telecaster? what would you say its on par with? how much should it go for new, and how much 3 years and five years old?

: thanks
: sb

I'll tell you I'm not much on the squire fender series. I was just on ebay and saw a Fernandes early strat (who make Tele too)and if you could find one of those it would be much better. The one I just saw from Music 123 wanted $150.00 for it. I was amazed at the price. It was a Retro Rocket and looked just like a strat. If you don't want the fernandes try the Mexician Tele's. I believe it would be a better buy for the money.

Custom Audio Electronics

Has anyone had any experience ordering the Custom Audio Amp OD100 from Bob Bradshaw?

Re: Custom Audio Electronics

: Has anyone had any experience ordering the Custom Audio Amp OD100 from Bob Bradshaw?
Is that CAE 3+ preamp? I've got one for sale.

: : Has anyone had any experience ordering the Custom Audio Amp OD100 from Bob Bradshaw?
: Is that CAE 3+ preamp? I've got one for sale.

ARE YOU SAYING YOU HAVE AN OD 100 FOR SALE? How much?

Hi! I'm nwe to this site byt i just saw that someone had a 3+ preamp for sale? Is it stil for sale? For how much and will you ship to sweden?

//Micke

Seagulls etc.

I just picked up a used Seagull S6 Cedar in the case. Very nice shape.I'm in Canada and wonder if anyone can tell me what it's worth? I've played casually for years and this is my first visit to a "guitar site". I also have a near mint Fender Stratocaster I bought new in '83,which I'm told was one of the last years of the US made guitars.It's NOT for sale.What's this puppy worth for curiosity's sake?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.