Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - October, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Seagulls etc.

: I just picked up a used Seagull S6 Cedar in the case. Very nice shape.I'm in Canada and wonder if anyone can tell me what it's worth? I've played casually for years and this is my first visit to a "guitar site". I also have a near mint Fender Stratocaster I bought new in '83,which I'm told was one of the last years of the US made guitars.It's NOT for sale.What's this puppy worth for curiosity's sake?

Alot more info is needed to determine the value of a guitar. Your strat was not one of the last USA made. They make USA fenders every year. Happy playing.

Re: Seagulls etc.

: : I just picked up a used Seagull S6 Cedar in the case. Very nice shape.I'm in Canada and wonder if anyone can tell me what it's worth? I've played casually for years and this is my first visit to a "guitar site". I also have a near mint Fender Stratocaster I bought new in '83,which I'm told was one of the last years of the US made guitars.It's NOT for sale.What's this puppy worth for curiosity's sake?

:
: Alot more info is needed to determine the value of a guitar. Your strat was not one of the last USA made. They make USA fenders every year. Happy playing.

An 80's strat has the worst resale value of any strat. The quality during that period sucked, and the guitars came in wierd variates. The same was true for Gibson during the time. The 80s was truly the time of the shredder guitar. Jackson's, Kramer's, and others are probably the only guitars from the 80's with any value today

need info

what are the name of the guitar strings,Iam trying to tune my guitar but I forgot the name (b or c)etc..

Re: need info

from lowest to highest:

E A D G B E

how do i play stairway to heaven?

I never was good in anything I've ever done and I'm definitely a slow learner. It's a real long story and who knows maybe some other time, but I'm attempting to learn to try and play some guitar and I stumbled on the
http://www.guitarsite.com/stairwaytoheaven.htm

at the guitarsite.com web site I understand it to a point and then I get totaly lost. If you would be as so kind in your spare time as to spell out for me
as to what finger hits what string through the first four measures of Stairway To HEAVEN Intro I would greatly and truly appreciate it. If this IDIOT sees it spelled out in front of him maybe just maybe he'll get it. I put a lot of hours in practicing, but what's practice if your not doing it right?

I'm reading it left to right in each measure and it definitely doesn't sound right.
First measure I'm hitting the D string at the 7th fret then the 6th fret same string then on down the G string 5th fret twice as it reads and I stop there because I know it isn't right.

Now I try D string 7th fret G string 6th fret B string 5th fret E string 5th & 7th fret which sounds right, which I don't know why I would read that way or which way to read and I become lost after that point on what to hit next and what to do for the next measure.

If you could guide me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking you in advance.
GOD bless,
Sal D.

Re: how do I play stairway to heaven?

: Why is it when someone submits a question it's either altered or not the way it was sent? Especially shortening my name.

Question:
I never was good in anything I've ever done and I'm definitely a slow learner. It's a real long story and who knows maybe some other time, but I'm attempting to learn to try and play some guitar and I stumbled on the
: http://www.guitarsite.com/stairwaytoheaven.htm

: at the guitarsite.com web site This is not the kind of music I would prefer, but I would truly love to learn how to read and play Tab to such a GREAT Title.

I understand it to a point and then I get totaly lost. If you would be as so kind in your spare time as to spell out for me
: as to what finger hits what string through the first two measures of Stairway To HEAVEN Intro I would greatly and truly appreciate it.

If this IDIOT sees it spelled out in front of him maybe just maybe he'll get it. I put a lot of hours in practicing, but what's practice if your not doing it right?

: I'm reading it left to right in each measure and it definitely doesn't sound right.

: First measure I'm hitting the D string at the 7th fret then the 6th fret same string then on down the G string 5th fret twice as it reads and I stop there because I know it isn't right.

: Now I try D string 7th fret G string 6th fret B string 5th fret E string 5th & 7th fret which sounds right, which I don't know why I would read that way or which way to read and I become lost after that point on what to hit next and what to do for the next measure.

: If you could guide me I would greatly appreciate it.

: Thanking you in advance.
: GOD bless,
: Salvatore DePrima.

Re: How do I read and play Tabulature?

: : Why is it when someone submits a question it's either altered or not the way it was sent? Especially shortening my name.

: Question:
: I never was good in anything I've ever done and I'm definitely a slow learner. It's a real long story and who knows maybe some other time, but I'm attempting to learn to try and play some guitar and I stumbled on the
: : http://www.guitarsite.com/stairwaytoheaven.htm

: : at the guitarsite.com web site This is not the kind of music I would prefer, but I would truly love to learn how to read and play Tab to such a GREAT Title.

: I understand it to a point and then I get totaly lost. If you would be as so kind in your spare time as to spell out for me
: : as to what finger hits what string through the first two measures of Stairway To HEAVEN Intro I would greatly and truly appreciate it.

: If this IDIOT sees it spelled out in front of him maybe just maybe he'll get it. I put a lot of hours in practicing, but what's practice if your not doing it right?

: : I'm reading it left to right in each measure and it definitely doesn't sound right.

: : First measure I'm hitting the D string at the 7th fret then the 6th fret same string then on down the G string 5th fret twice as it reads and I stop there because I know it isn't right.

: : Now I try D string 7th fret G string 6th fret B string 5th fret E string 5th & 7th fret which sounds right, which I don't know why I would read that way or which way to read and I become lost after that point on what to hit next and what to do for the next measure.

: : If you could guide me I would greatly appreciate it.

: : Thanking you in advance.
: : GOD bless,
: : Salvatore DePrima.

Re: how do I play stairway to heaven?

Hello,
I hear u are looking for stairway to heaven.well there si an easy way and a hard way.
the hard way is the way u are doing it....
The easy way is just to come to http://pbtabs.nav.to...
This site contains tabs for a lot of new and old song.by indie and rock artists..Hoping for a reply
Dave sligo

Jmc2000 DSl

i have bought a marshall JMC2000 DSL100 and i am struggling to find a good sound can some one suggest some setings fro me i love playing oasis so that would be good, it has Presence,TREBLE,MIDDLE,BASS,REVERB,VOLUME,GAIN

(Abba) star shaped guitat

Does anyone know what sort of guitar Bjorn out of abba
used while performing Waterloo in the eurovision. It was silver and black and in the shape of a star.
I play in the tribute band ABBAtastic and need one

Amp too loud, powersoaks suck, little help?

O.K, I'm playing thru a 50 watt Marshall (72 JMP) and everyone knows these things are loud as all hell. I've tried the Powerbrake, and it sucked the tone (this is the reason i turn the amp up, the sound). I've heard mixed things about the THD hotplate. Some say it affects the tone and can cause damage to the tranny on the amp. At the -12 db setting, would it be quiet enough to use in a 100 capacity room (i don't know, just, like, a room the size of a mid-sized bar) and not get me kicked out? Also, does anyone suggest turning the cab (sunn 412 closed back) around, or will this just get all muddied up. Any cabinet positioning tips? I love this amp, but it doesn't come alive till it's just too loud. Any replies would be appreciated (especially if you've used the hotplate). Thanks.

Benny

Re: Amp too loud, powersoaks suck, little help?

: O.K, I'm playing thru a 50 watt Marshall (72 JMP) and everyone knows these things are loud as all hell. I've tried the Powerbrake, and it sucked the tone (this is the reason i turn the amp up, the sound). I've heard mixed things about the THD hotplate. Some say it affects the tone and can cause damage to the tranny on the amp. At the -12 db setting, would it be quiet enough to use in a 100 capacity room (i don't know, just, like, a room the size of a mid-sized bar) and not get me kicked out? Also, does anyone suggest turning the cab (sunn 412 closed back) around, or will this just get all muddied up. Any cabinet positioning tips? I love this amp, but it doesn't come alive till it's just too loud. Any replies would be appreciated (especially if you've used the hotplate). Thanks.

: Benny
:I've tried turning the cab in a club, it sounded like crap! You've discovered the Marshall curse! "If it ain't full blown, there ain't no tone." My buddies power brake on his 100 watt seemed to work "pretty well". The only other offering I have is the Sholtz power soak. If you can find one. They were/are rated pretty good. If I remember correctly, only 1 of the THD's were rated as good, but I don't remember which 1 it was. Sorry. Good luck. Try the Harmony Central Discussion. Lots of Marshall users there.

Hey dude dont use the tom shultz powersoak, it will fry your tranny. best thing to do is to get a pedal that you like a use it as a volume.In other words, crank your amp up, then turn the volume down on the last pedal in the chain.

: O.K, I'm playing thru a 50 watt Marshall (72 JMP) and everyone knows these things are loud as all hell. I've tried the Powerbrake, and it sucked the tone (this is the reason i turn the amp up, the sound). I've heard mixed things about the THD hotplate. Some say it affects the tone and can cause damage to the tranny on the amp. At the -12 db setting, would it be quiet enough to use in a 100 capacity room (i don't know, just, like, a room the size of a mid-sized bar) and not get me kicked out? Also, does anyone suggest turning the cab (sunn 412 closed back) around, or will this just get all muddied up. Any cabinet positioning tips? I love this amp, but it doesn't come alive till it's just too loud. Any replies would be appreciated (especially if you've used the hotplate). Thanks.

: Benny
:

Hi Benny, I couldn't help but notice the vintage of your head. Can't help with the loud thing. I have one of those two. It is possible to create distortion in the amp and use the guitar volume as a "master volume knob" depending on how hot and full your pick-ups are. I use Gibson Classic Plus, and a Patent # (original) pickup. If you switch to these, or similar vintage design pickup, make sure you get the caps on the pots matched to the pickups. Otherwise you won't get the overdrive power. Stratocasters with 5-position switches work well this way too. I'm going to ask a favor of you, since you also have a 1972 59 watt. My head has been modded, prodded, rodded, and I'm trying to put it back. One of the mods moved the indicator lamp. I don't know what to hook it too. If you can look inside and send me a photo or brief description of what it is connected too, I'd appreciate it. Good look with the sound. I recommend that you keep your amp stock, if it is still that way. The ultimate solution is probably a smaller Marshall tube combo, or perhaps a master volume model. I know, they don't sound like a '72. It is a dilemma we all face. Think of the poor souls who own Marshall majors.

David Powell

tokai bass,fender jazz copy-early eighties

I am in posession of an immaculate Tokai jazz bass . As far as I can tell it is a copy of a 1962/63 jazz, finished in a cream colour with a tortoishell scratch plate. The person I bought it off purchased it new in the early eighties and had owned it ever since.If anyone can give me any information on tokai copies of the Fender jazz bass,I would be gratefull. In parrticular, any reference to Fender going in to the Tokai factory and cutting the headstocks off all the guitars. The previous owner of my guitar says this actually happened, and the one I now own escaped this fate. Thanks...........John.

Re: tokai bass,fender jazz copy-early eighties

: I am in posession of an immaculate Tokai jazz bass . As far as I can tell it is a copy of a 1962/63 jazz, finished in a cream colour with a tortoishell scratch plate. The person I bought it off purchased it new in the early eighties and had owned it ever since.If anyone can give me any information on tokai copies of the Fender jazz bass,I would be gratefull. In parrticular, any reference to Fender going in to the Tokai factory and cutting the headstocks off all the guitars. The previous owner of my guitar says this actually happened, and the one I now own escaped this fate. Thanks...........John.

I have one too, its got gold harware and black scratch
plate though. I havent been able to find any information on them either and id liek to to know because i have no idea how much it could be worth.

Did you find anything?

Re: tokai bass,fender jazz copy-early eighties

: : I am in posession of an immaculate Tokai jazz bass . As far as I can tell it is a copy of a 1962/63 jazz, finished in a cream colour with a tortoishell scratch plate. The person I bought it off purchased it new in the early eighties and had owned it ever since.If anyone can give me any information on tokai copies of the Fender jazz bass,I would be gratefull. In parrticular, any reference to Fender going in to the Tokai factory and cutting the headstocks off all the guitars. The previous owner of my guitar says this actually happened, and the one I now own escaped this fate. Thanks...........John.

: I have one too, its got gold harware and black scratch
: plate though. I havent been able to find any information on them either and id liek to to know because i have no idea how much it could be worth.

: Did you find anything?

:hmmm, two years late. maybe he might check back still.

buying electric guitar

I have been playing acoustic guitar (Eagles, JT, CSNY, etc) for about a year and I would like to take the step into an electric. I like from Little Feat and Sonny Landreth all the way to Steve Morse. I was wondering how well the guitars out there that combine humbuckers and single coil pickups work for variety. Maybe like a fat strat or something - any suggestions?

buying electric guitar

I have been playing acoustic guitar (Eagles, JT, CSNY, etc) for about a year and I would like to take the step into an electric. I like from Little Feat and Sonny Landreth all the way to Steve Morse. I was wondering how well the guitars out there that combine humbuckers and single coil pickups work for variety. Maybe like a fat strat or something - any suggestions?

Re: buying electric guitar

: I have been playing acoustic guitar (Eagles, JT, CSNY, etc) for about a year and I would like to take the step into an electric. I like from Little Feat and Sonny Landreth all the way to Steve Morse. I was wondering how well the guitars out there that combine humbuckers and single coil pickups work for variety. Maybe like a fat strat or something - any suggestions?

It all has to do with how much money you are willing to spend. You could buy a guitar that has your specs but sounds like shit, but if you spend more money you will get a better guitar. Guitars might come in all shapes and styles, but usually within the same price range you get what you pay for. Whether you pay $500 for a Fender mexican fat strat, or a Epiphone Les Paul, you get about the same quality, maybe just a different sound

Re: buying electric guitar

the single coil/humbucker combo is a good way to go i think. although they usually wont sound like a les paul, it still gives a little more variety then just one kind of pickup.

New music here...

Hey people,

New electronic music released:
http://www.mp3.com.au/Finnigan

Always looking for wild guitar loops so get in touch if you like what you hear.

Cheers
F.

Mark Chapman

No body has to take anothermans Life.
When a Nobody kills a Somebody to become a Somebody
keep him/her locked up. Don't give to much publicity
to people like that.

Re: Mark Chapman

Yeah and the Pope came to confess him one day.... what a pose, God, what a pose... almost like comimg to say "good job, son, good job..." everyone wants to take advantage of you... Kurt was damn right...
And Chapman... let him rot in jail.

doc powell artist

song lets get it on in (tab)

guitar sight reading information

i am learing jazz guitar

ME-30 Patches

ok, so we have the unofficial page full of patches of which only like 30 are worth taking the time to program. anyone got any other sites that are filled with patches, or does anyone have patches they xcan send my way? programming them myself is fine and goos but let's face it, i run out of ideas too!! also, anyone wanna trade cakewalk sound fonts? (have tons)
please reply to adrenachrone@hotmail.com

Jackson guitars

I heard from sombody that jackson performers are very poor quality guitars, and was advised to buy a jackson soloist. how much would a jackson soloist set me back roughly?

Re: Jackson guitars

: I heard from sombody that jackson performers are very poor quality guitars, and was advised to buy a jackson soloist. how much would a jackson soloist set me back roughly?

You can buy a USA made SL-1 Soloist for about $1,250. I personally don't see any problem with the Performers if it is a first, second, or maybe even third guitar. After that though you should probably try to go after bigger, better things. Try any of the ESP models with Seymour Duncan or EMG pickups. They make really good guitars for not a lot of money. The thing I don't like about Jacksons is you have to spend at least $700 before you can get a really good guitar. Hope I helped a little bit.

Vox distortion - which pedal's best, tube or analogue?

I have an AC30 reissue t/boost with the blue speakers and I can't get a nice rock overdrive sound without giving myself tinnitus. I think it's because I'm using shit effects - Zoom4040, Danecho and Daddyo Overdrive (how bad is the latter!). My guitar is USA Standard tele. Can anyone advise a decent overdrive/distortion pedal specific to my setup. The knew V1 Bottle Rocket by Mesa Boogie has been recommended to me because it's all tube. What's the difference?

Re: Vox distortion - which pedal's best, tube or analogue?

I think the AC30 sounds great with an American Tele by itself with no effects, but, a great complement to your setup would be the Boss Blues Driver. It has the sweetest overdrive! It would sound great with your gear. Plus, it's a Boss so you know it will last forever. Good luck!

Re: Vox distortion - which pedal's best, tube or analogue?

: I have an AC30 reissue t/boost with the blue speakers and I can't get a nice rock overdrive sound without giving myself tinnitus. I think it's because I'm using shit effects - Zoom4040, Danecho and Daddyo Overdrive (how bad is the latter!). My guitar is USA Standard tele. Can anyone advise a decent overdrive/distortion pedal specific to my setup. The knew V1 Bottle Rocket by Mesa Boogie has been recommended to me because it's all tube. What's the difference?
\

Get an old Tube Screamer. They are the sound you hear on just about any record/cd you buy. Everyone has them, and mine sounds fabulous with my AC-30

Aria Classical Guitar

Aria Classical Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Aria Classical Guitar

gretsch van aps

I am searching for gretsch parts from the late '60s. i have a '68 van eps six string I am trying to restore.

Re: gretsch van aps

: I am searching for gretsch parts from the late '60s. i have a '68 van eps six string I am trying to restore.

Try D& F Products 6735 Hidden Hills Drive Cincinnati Ohio 45230 (513) 232-4972 They handle (or did) old Gretsch stuff. Didn't know Gretsch made a 6 string Van Eps model.

Can anyone tell me anything about the fernandes retro rocket line of guitars?

I was thinking of getting a retro rocket x. IS it is a good guitar?

Re: Can anyone tell me anything about the fernandes retro rocket line of guitars?

: They are pretty good. But the thing that is bad about them is that they have medium frets. (mabey you like them, but for me they are harder to solo and chord on) But the retrorockets are a pretty good guitar they remind me of a strat alot.

BB MAK Tablature

I'm looking for the tabs for BB mak's Back Here. Please email me or post a follow up if you have the tabs or know a website where I can find them.

Re: BB MAK Tablature

: I'm looking for the tabs for BB mak's "More than words". Please email me. i would appreciate it if you im me as soon as possible

I am looking for the tab from BB MAK "Back Here"
If somebody can help please mail to Gipsyw1@aol.com

Thank you

: : I'm looking for the tabs or standard notation for BB mak's "More than words". i would appreciate it if you could email me as soon as possible.

Thanks.

help

im tryin to teach my friend to serenade agirl im wonderin if u knwo anyon ewho knows the tabs for this song or can u please email me please

i am also looking for more than words and back here. please email asap!

: I'm looking for the tabs for BB mak's Back Here. Please email me or post a follow up if you have the tabs or know a website where I can find them.

go to www.ultimate-guitar.com they have a pretty accurate tab for that song....ltr

Did you ever find those Tabs for "Back Here"?

Here's two sites, one of them has it.
www.ultimate-guitar.com or www.guitartabs.cc

: I'm looking for the tabs for BB mak's "out of my heart". Please email me or post a follow up if you have the tabs or know a website where I can find them. A Very Cool Song

ESP's LTD pickups (what do you think)

I'm gonna buy a new ESP soon, but I can't decide whether or not I want to get the LTD pickups (it's a much cheaper model) or the Seymkour Duncans. I definitely can't afford the EMG pickups or I wouldn't even hesitate. Is there much of a difference between the LTD pickups and the Duncans? Are LTD pickups any good?

Re: ESP's LTD pickups (what do you think)

: the LTD pickups are not that good at all. You should deffinatly get the seymour duncan pickups. The Duncans sound WAY BETTER and they have more clarity at times and they are just way better sounding. I suggest that you get the Duncan George Lynch Signature pickups. I have thoes and they are excelent I have a ESP mirage and they work great, I suggest the Duncans 100%

there not bad, but i changed my brigde pick-up to SD distortion and now its not just a good guitar

: I'm gonna buy a new ESP soon, but I can't decide whether or not I want to get the LTD pickups (it's a much cheaper model) or the Seymkour Duncans. I definitely can't afford the EMG pickups or I wouldn't even hesitate. Is there much of a difference between the LTD pickups and the Duncans? Are LTD pickups any good?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.