Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - September, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: gibson: sg firebrand?

: : : i have a 1980 gibson firebrand, and got a good deal on it. i also have not herd of it untill i bouht one. it's my fav for playing heavy stuff also. if you can send me that add you were talking about that would be great!

I have a friend who just bought a firebrand and id like to have some more info on it. If you get the time bro give me an email and some info id appreciate
it. I cant find anything on it. later

: : : The Firebrand SG and "The SG" are the same guitar. They were made from 1979 to 1981. The only difference is,Gibson's name is a decal on "The SG" and on the Firebrand it is burnt into the wood, thus the firebrand name. I bought a 1980 "The SG" new and is still one of my favorite guitars. I have an origanal download of the first advertisment for this guitar and will send it to you. If your into hard rock and heavy metal, this is the guitar for you. Just try and find another one, they seem to be very rare. I have had mine for 21 years and have never seen another one. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions as I can probably answer them.

I ALSO OWN A FIREBRAND 1981 HARDSHELL WHAT ARE THEY WORTH ? I THINK I PAID ABOUT 500.00 FOR MINE AT A PLACE CALLED THE GUITAR ROOM IN MARTINSBURG WEST VIRGINA.

Hello Lee,

I bought a SG Deluxe Firebrand two days ago. The seller bought this guitar 1982, played it one tim, put it in the original case and under the bed. There it layed until now. The color is complete walnut. The serial no says, it`s made in 1982. I´m interest for your first advertising downlowd. Can you be so kind and mail it to me? Thanks from Hannover/Germany Frank

Hello Lee,

I bought a SG Deluxe Firebrand two days ago. The seller bought this guitar 1982, played it one tim, put it in the original case and under the bed. There it layed until now. Si it is really brandnew. The color is complete walnut. The serial no says, it`s made in 1982. I´m interest for your first advertising downlowd. Can you be so kind and mail it to me? Thanks from Hannover/Germany Frank

Hey guys, i also have a 1980 Gibson sg Firebrand.It is made out of Mohogany,Gibson is burnt into the headstock and Sg Firebrand is inscribed onto a piece of plastic on the headstock.The body and headstock are burnt with what looks like little T,s all over, and its got 2 double hummbuckers .One of the Hummbuckers is a Zebra(half black,half white)The other is just solid black.I love this guitar,the action is about the sweetest ive ever played,and the tonality is awesome.I know very little about the guitar, so if anyone out there has more info on it,I would be happy to hear from you.

: Hey guys, i also have a 1980 Gibson sg Firebrand.It is made out of Mohogany,Gibson is burnt into the headstock and Sg Firebrand is inscribed onto a piece of plastic on the headstock.The body and headstock are burnt with what looks like little T,s all over, and its got 2 double hummbuckers .One of the Hummbuckers is a Zebra(half black,half white)The other is just solid black.I love this guitar,the action is about the sweetest ive ever played,and the tonality is awesome.I know very little about the guitar, so if anyone out there has more info on it,I would be happy to hear from you.get a hold of me at atk56@hotmail.com

They aren't really the same guitar, "The SG " and "SG Firebrand". One is made out of walnut and the other mahogany. There ya go!

: : : : The Firebrand SG and "The SG" are the same guitar. They were made from 1979 to 1981. The only difference is,Gibson's name is a decal on "The SG" and on the Firebrand it is burnt into the wood, thus the firebrand name. I bought a 1980 "The SG" new and is still one of my favorite guitars. I have an origanal download of the first advertisment for this guitar and will send it to you. If your into hard rock and heavy metal, this is the guitar for you. Just try and find another one, they seem to be very rare. I have had mine for 21 years and have never seen another one. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions as I can probably answer them.

: I ALSO OWN A FIREBRAND 1981 HARDSHELL WHAT ARE THEY WORTH ? I THINK I PAID ABOUT 500.00 FOR MINE AT A PLACE CALLED THE GUITAR ROOM IN MARTINSBURG WEST VIRGINA.

: : A friend let me borrow his "Gibson SG Firebrand". Did Gibson really make this guitar or is it a fake/hoax?
: : The serial no. has it being made in 1980. I've never
: : heard of such a guitar before now.

:
: Yup. it's real. They also made Les Paul Firebrands
: too.

: It's variant of the '79 "The SG", which had a walnut
: neck and body with a ebony fretboard. The neck had
: the same width as a Les Paul In 1980 the SG Firebrand
: came out; instead of walnut, mahogany was used, the
: neck/fretboard was the same LP width with ebony. The
: choice of finish was either natural or antique mahogany. I;ve never seen the antique finish, I;ve been
: told it was mildly distressed.... The SG Firebrand
: was renamed the SG Deluxe.

Ok, now I'm confused. I have an '80 Gibson SG made in nashville with "Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe" on the trussrod cover. It has the Gibson Logo in decal form, NOT burned into the wood, and a painted finish in a greeny-blue metallic finish. Any advice or dollar worth of this thing would be appreciated, and why doesn't the Gibson website have any knowledge of the word "Firebrand"?

In the early 80's I bought an SG. My favourite rock guitar. I do not recall that it's a Firebrand model but it did have the Gibson name burn into it's head as shown in the picture. Exactly identical to this one except without the name of Firebrand of course. It's the closest to a Frank Zappa version or an '61 model I can find.
One problem though - it constantly go out of tune and the action was just awful. I sold it after about two years.
Thank God, they're making reissues of '61 SG these days. I can finally buy a real good one - with the whammy bar as well.

: : A friend let me borrow his "Gibson SG Firebrand". Did Gibson really make this guitar or is it a fake/hoax?
: : The serial no. has it being made in 1980. I've never
: : heard of such a guitar before now.

:
: Yup. it's real. They also made Les Paul Firebrands
: too.

: It's variant of the '79 "The SG", which had a walnut
: neck and body with a ebony fretboard. The neck had
: the same width as a Les Paul In 1980 the SG Firebrand
: came out; instead of walnut, mahogany was used, the
: neck/fretboard was the same LP width with ebony. The
: choice of finish was either natural or antique mahogany. I;ve never seen the antique finish, I;ve been
: told it was mildly distressed.... The SG Firebrand
: was renamed the SG Deluxe.

I own a 1980 Gibson Firebrand 335-solidbody custom. I love that guitar,wat a sound, It sounds like a les paul but with more top end.i have been offered 2 les pauls for it.

: A friend let me borrow his "Gibson SG Firebrand". Did Gibson really make this guitar or is it a fake/hoax?
: The serial no. has it being made in 1980. I've never
: heard of such a guitar before now. I bought mine in 1980 in McAllen Texas, the serial number is 80440551 and I played it in Texas with my group Crystal Canyon.... It is very real

KaLaMaZoO made GiBSoN ToO!

Lets start this by saying that I am from Kalamazoo... and i know Gibson used to be made there in like '69 and around that time on Parson's St. Kalamazoo, Michigan. I also know they moved to Nashville - or in the area. But. Was the Kalamazoo Gibson factory the first and originol Foundation of the ALL MIGHTY GIBSON SOO GOOD GUITARS!?
Just thoughts i'd ask. ;-]

I'm confused. I have a Nashville made 1980 Gibson sg, with "Firebrand "The SG" deluxe" on the trussbar cover. The Gibson logo is a decal, NOT burned into the mahogany headstock. Grover sealed tuners, ebony fretboard, blue metallic painted finish. Any ideas of its worth, or comments in general?

I have a Gibson SG FireBrand, I'm trying to find out what it is worth.
I'm not sure of the year but it is dark wood, the gibson logo is burned into it, and so is Made in the USA on the back with model # 81490561
Does this mean it is an 81?
All ya, mint Condition and I will put a picture up later.

: A friend let me borrow his "Gibson SG Firebrand". Did Gibson really make this guitar or is it a fake/hoax?
: The serial no. has it being made in 1980. I've never
: heard of such a guitar before now.

I had this model growing up but had to sell it in order to pay for college. I always wanted to buy it back one day. Does anyone know of a seller?

That hurts. I bought my SG FB in 80 still play it today
its was $1200 bought it on sale for 850. One shop owner told me they didnt exist when I showed it to him
He turned his back on me. The SG has the deepest sound
mine is all mohagony with seymore duncan pickups

Leon (the cleaner) soundtrack

I want to know the author of the last music at the end of Leon(the cleaner) a little arpeggio music I like.

Re: Leon (the cleaner) soundtrack

: I want to know the author of the last music at the end of Leon(the cleaner) a little arpeggio music I like.
: Thanks:-)

: : I want to know the author of the last music at the end of Leon(the cleaner) a little arpeggio music I like.
: : Thanks:-)

umm.

you guys gonna just copy what the author wrote? or write somethign usefull.

: I want to know the author of the last music at the end of Leon(the cleaner) a little arpeggio music I like.

eric serra

eric serra did the whole soundtrack

It' Sting : Shape of my heart

In case any of you haven't heard ""Rifftech is now free!!!""

http://www.rifftech.com
everything is free, get it now.
all lessons scales chords tablature everything,
all that I ask is you listen to some of my free music to help keep me at the top of the Mp3 charts.
If you do this I will continue to supply a good free guitar site.
Mikael
http://www.mp3.com/Mikael

Guitar Info

One of my brothers friends came home with him, and brought with him
a guitar I have never heard of before. It is a Futuramic 1. I was
wondering if anybody knew anything about this type of Guitar?

How do I lower the action on my Jackson???

I have a jackson performer with a floyd rose. I want to lower the strings so aren't as high off my fret board. Does anyone know how to make those adjustments...? If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
Jason

Re: How do I lower the action on my Jackson???

: I have a jackson performer with a floyd rose. I want to lower the strings so aren't as high off my fret board. Does anyone know how to make those adjustments...? If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
: Jason

loosen the two allen-head bolts that your bridge hinges on.

GT-3 or GT-5?!

Forgetting the cash, which one is best?!

Re: GT-3 or GT-5?!

hey !! i have the same problem too!! any news??

JEDSON GUITAR

I HAVE PICKED UP A JEDSON GUITAR--CREAM WITH TWO SINGLE
COIL PICK-UPS AND CEDAR NECK +ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARD
SOUNDS GREAT---DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE
GUITARS --I HAVE HEARD THEY WERE MADE IN JAPAN BUT THIS HAS AN ITALIAN FEEL TO IT

Re: JEDSON GUITAR

Can confirm they were made in Japan, I have one which sounds similar to yours, the only distinguishing marks are the name Jedson on the head plus a serial number and "Made in Japan" on a plate on the underside of the body.

Mine's over 25 years old. I've drawn a big blank so far trying to find out a bit more about them.

I've just bought a Jedson "Les Paul" copy, apparently aroud 25 years old but in good condition. The person I bought it from is a guitar repairer by trade and he told me the company made some of the better quality "Gibson" copies. I'm having trouble finding more information, I'll keep trying this sight.

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A JEDSON LES PAUL STYLE GUITAR IT IS BLACK WITH GOLD FITTINGS AND PEARL INLAYS ON THE NECK IVE BEEN TOLD IT IS LATE 60,S IT IS MADE IN JAPAN

Framus Ruby Riot???

Does anyone know anything about the "Framus Ruby Riot" amplifier?
How good is it, and how reliable?

Re: Framus Ruby Riot???

: Does anyone know anything about the "Framus Ruby Riot" amplifier?
: How good is it, and how reliable?

Good, very good.

I have had mine for 2½ years now. It's a beauty. The sound is great! I will define the sound as a Vox AC30 with a modern twist.

It was just the amp I was looking for.

I played 2 years in a blues band. Now I play pop and rock. It's a very good amp for all styles...

The clean sound is beautiful even when you crank the volume up. The lead is for pure rock'n'roll.

As long as I play the guitar, the Ruby Riot will follow along....

Try one. And you will get hooked. Even in love, I think!

Re: Framus Ruby Riot???

: Does anyone know anything about the "Framus Ruby Riot" amplifier?
: How good is it, and how reliable?
I bought mine about six months ago and I really like it. I've used Masrshall amps for years until now and I will never go back! The clean sound is the real star of this amp. Bright, clear & full but never harsh. The reverb is a bit weak but I heard that a Mullard ECC81 helps this. The drive channel is a real classic rock sound and suits my Strat very well. There is heaps of gain available but it remains very clear. If there is a critisism of this channel it is that it doent do the "just breaking up" sound very well. I've just got a Keeley modified Blues Driver for this and I now have all the sounds I need. There is an effects loop but I have not tried this as yet.

Class A amps run notoriously hot but this amp so far has not had any problems. Whether it is worth the full list price is a moot point but for what I paid I am more than happy.

seeking info on the pedigree of an old guitar...

Was wondering if anyone out there had contacts or
information regarding the pedigree of an old guitar I have recently acquired...

It is an Epiphone, semi hollow archtop with in red with the pickup toggle switch on the lower cutaway (335 style), a Gibson Maestro Tremolo tailpiece and a small stcker on the inside saying EA-250, made in
Kalamazoo, Michigan, no discernable serial number.

Needs some work but plays faily well and sounds pretty good, even though it has pickups on it that I have never seen before... very curious... anyway, if anyone has seen this and/or knows anything about
it, I would be real curious

Thanks in adance,
Dan Donnelly, guitar player

Where can I find a Fender decal?

Besides for eBay that is? $30.00 + for a decal is a bit steep.

Re: Where can I find a Fender decal?

On the real McCoy where it should be.

Ah, a USEFUL reply...

Thanks champ, I know all about it, I have 5 "real McCoy's" already. Do you think you're the only one with a real Fender? BFD. Problem is, I'm doing a refinishing project on a "real McCoy" and Fender is difficult about these things as they should be. Don't give me a hard time about this. Some unit painted a vintage headstock with crackle paint. (This 'relic' thing is out of control!)

FYI - They ARE available out there and I did find one.

distortion pickups

What do you look for in distortion pickups? Also what are the best ones you've come across?

Re: distortion pickups

: What do you look for in distortion pickups? Also what are the best ones you've come across?

Chad what kind of music are you playing,what kind of guitar do you have,what kind of amp do you have.These are the things us responders need put in the question to allow us to help you better!
My experience is that Humbuckers have the best high gain (distortion) applications. I like a brighter treble pick up in the bridge position for chunky guitar rthym and brite sounding leads and a sweeter sounding fatter pickup for the neck position for single note or high on the neck leads and volume down picking and chords . I play mostly Carvin guitars and I dig their pickups which are available online. But there are tons of great pickups available out there. Go try some out on some similar guitars and see what you think for yourself.Also ask a sales person(that you trust and if you dont trust your sales man shop somewhere else) a few questions and see what they recomend.
good luck!

Re: distortion pickups

i use humbuckers in my lespaul and they sound good to me. i saw sebastian bach recently, and talked with paul crook, his guitarist. i asked him about his opinion on the best heavy metal pickup. he said dimarzio. im sure they sponser him, but i bet they are good pickups, try different guitars with different pickups and see the difference.

Ovation preamp question

I recently purchased an Ovation Legend (Nylon) model 1773. It came with the
OP-24+C (built in tuner) preamp.
The legend use to be available with the OP-X.
Has anyone compared the tonal difference between these two preamps. Does
the OP-X
sound better?
Steve

Re: Ovation preamp question

I have the OP-X in my Elite and would like to replace it with the OP-24 to get the tuner. Does anyone know how to purchase one? Are there other built-in wizbangs available?
I've never played the OP-24, so I can't compare them, sorry.

: I recently purchased an Ovation Legend (Nylon) model 1773. It came with the
: OP-24+C (built in tuner) preamp.
: The legend use to be available with the OP-X.
: Has anyone compared the tonal difference between these two preamps. Does
: the OP-X
: sound better?
: Steve

My Stolen Valley Arts Strat, $500. reward

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Stolen!
from Marty Walsh
1980's Valley Arts Strat
-black
-birdseye maple neck w/ ebony fingerboard
-no serial number
-2 single coils and humbucker
-floyd rose
-small ink drawing on the belt buckle wear on the backside
-small gash in back of neck

In a anvil type flight case, last seen at Logan airport on August 24th at
3:00 PM. American Air ticket counter

$500 reward, no questions asked.

Marty Walsh
(978) 373-5133
marto8@seacoast.com

IS A CYCLONE THE SAME SIZE AS A STRAT?

n/a

Re: IS A CYCLONE THE SAME SIZE AS A STRAT?

no sir tis not

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.