Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - September, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: IS A CYCLONE THE SAME SIZE AS A STRAT?

: n/a
it's length is about the same but the cyclone is fatter then the strat

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE GUITAR AMP AND WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC DO YOU PLAY!

THATS RITE! LETS LET THE NEWBIES KNOW WHAT WE ARE USING. TELL US ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE GUITAR AMP AND WHAT KINDS OF EFFECTS AND PLACEMENT YOU ARE USING WITH IT!

Re: WHATS YOUR FAVORITE GUITAR AMP AND WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC DO YOU PLAY!

I use Ibanez guitars and Carvin amps. I play lots of maiden and megadeth.

click here....

My main guitar is a fender strat, the big apple model, with 2 seymour-duncan humbuckers, it sounds GREAT!! heavy, just like i like it, with the smooth play-ability of a strat neck. I play through a marshall halfstack (tubeless) with gain turned up to 10 baby!! LOL ... I don't do much effects. Just a boss phaser... I want a boss delay and an auto-wah. I hate the multi-effects units... boss rules. I play helmet and STP and stuff like that....

PS I am dying for an new ibanez rg550 as a second guitar, when I find out my employment situation, I am hitting the music store...

I play through a Silver Jubilee Marshall 25/50 watt. I also have a slant 4x12 cabinet from pre 1972 loaded with two 25 watt and two 35 watt celestions (old bastards!). It has to be one of the warmest and meanest rythym tones I have ever heard! I use a boss overdrive for a few lead parts because my guitar is a pile 'o s#*t!

: THATS RITE! LETS LET THE NEWBIES KNOW WHAT WE ARE USING. TELL US ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE GUITAR AMP AND WHAT KINDS OF EFFECTS AND PLACEMENT YOU ARE USING WITH IT!

My fav rig WAS a '61 345, going through a '60 Twin (pre reverb). SRO spkrs. I can't afford those now Soooo. I'm playing a McInturff Polaris Pro and am having an amp built by Ben Fargen, to my specs. The guys GREAT and VERY reasonably priced.

I USE A 1992 WINE RED LES PAUL STANDARD INTO A 1970 SELMER COMPACT 30 SV 2x12 VALVE COMBO. FOR PEDALS,I USE A TECH 21 TRIODE 3 CHANNEL OVERDRIVE PEDAL AND A DANELECTRO "DAN ECHO" DELAY PEDAL. I PLAY IN A BRITISH PUNK BAND CALLED "30 MILES WIDE" AND WE HAVE SELF FINANCED 3 CD RELEASES. OTHER STYLES I PLAY ARE THE GRATUITIOUS WIDDLY GUITAR, BUT NOBODY SEEMS TO LISTEN TO IT ANYMORE(IN ENGLAND ANYWAY)SEEMS SUCH A SHAME

My favorite amp ( by far ) is my Mesa Boogie Single recto, 1x12 50 watt, all tube combo. This amp sings - clean or slightly overdriven. i dont use the gain in high settings - i use a boss pedal or ibanez tube screamer for that. But the Mesa 50 watt combo has balls, can punch though the mix with ease, and sounds like a fucking dream come true. worth every pennie ( about 120,000 pennies to be exact! )I paid for it. For larger rooms I bring along a 1x12 Mesa extension cab, and set it on the other side of the stage near the bass player's rig. The house only has to mike either side, and I get a strong stage prescence. i funk/rock, fusion and contemp jazz ( 2 different groups ). This amp in second to none.

MODELING AMPS (THUMBS UP) OR (THUMBS DOWN) POST YOUR OPINION NOW!

Include brand name ,playing style,and weather you play out with it (gig).Let your voice be heard.

DONT BE A WHIMP CLICK HERE AND TELL ME AND THE WORLD WHAT YOUR THINKING. YOU HAVE AN OPINION HERE IS

: Include brand name ,playing style,and weather you play out with it (gig).Let your voice be heard.

Re: DONT BE A WHIMP CLICK HERE AND TELL ME AND THE WORLD WHAT YOUR THINKING. YOU HAVE AN OPINION HER

: : Include brand name ,playing style,and weather you play out with it (gig).Let your voice be heard.

LOOK HERE THERE ARE 47 BABE PUPPIES THAT NEED A HOME AND U DONT WANT THEM TO HAVE ONE...SO I DONT LIKE U AT ALL WITH ALL THE GUITAR STUFF...FORGET THAT AND THINK OF THE POOR EENIE WEENIE LOST PUPPIES

Re: DONT BE A WHIMP CLICK HERE AND TELL ME AND THE WORLD WHAT YOUR THINKING. YOU HAVE AN OPINION HER

: : Include brand name ,playing style,and weather you play out with it (gig).Let your voice be heard.

LOOK HERE THERE ARE 47 BABE PUPPIES THAT NEED A HOME AND U DONT WANT THEM TO HAVE ONE...SO I DONT LIKE U AT ALL WITH ALL THE GUITAR STUFF...FORGET THAT AND THINK
OF THE POOR EENIE WEENIE LOST PUPPIES...stop drinking beers and red wine and get some of the lost homeless puppies that are free to good homes.

THAT 47 PUPPY MAN CANT EVEN RIDE A MOTORCYCLE...HE IS SIDE SADDLE BI MALE.

Re: MODELING AMPS (THUMBS UP) OR (THUMBS DOWN) POST YOUR OPINION NOW!

dont know what to tell you on this one man... all i can say is try it! i was in a band in the 80's and had a rack from here to the roof! and i ended up with a crate gfx 212! it sounded great, fit in my car and never broke down! if the shoe fits, wear it. ive owned a music store for about thirteen years now (im not that old either, only 31) and i tell my customers to find what feels right to them!.... too many parts, too many problems!
thanks!
shane

Shane owns a music store ant doesn't know what to tell customers asking about modeling amps??!!?? I hope you've got good sales help - you need to stay in the office. Tech 21 and Johnson are the best. Line 6 is more suited for studio use, and is very complicated to use 'live'. The control settings take on different meanings under different amp settings. Then they print the 'changes' in a light gray font - impossible to read on a dark stage. The line 6 is the most potent of the three, though. Tone freaks will be alot happier with the Johnson or tech 21 combos. They are lighter, less expensive, very easy to use and tweak.
One day I'll be dumb enough to own a music store too...

: Include brand name ,playing style,and weather you play out with it (gig).Let your voice be heard.

I have a Johnson Marquis JM60. I really like it. Like Shane, I used to use lots of gear to get lots of sounds but now it all happens in a combo. A fairly light one at that. It doesn't sound exactly like the original classic tube amp it's modeling, but it's damn close, and for the money and portability I think it's great.

: : Include brand name ,playing style,and weather you play
I own a Johnson jm60. It is pretty good, light, and affordable. Don't waste the money on the expression pedal, just use your own pedal board once you select the amp model you want. The axis line 6 is way too complex to use playing live - but would be a good investment for a studio to purchase. I use my jm60 for smaller audiences, smaller rooms. But more for it being light, not for the sound. I still much prefer my mesa boogie's tone. I plan on buying a tech 21 60 watt combo soon - it's even lighter, soundsgreat.

YEH AND DONATE YOUR NAKED MODELS AND GUITARS AND GET THOSE POOR HOMELESS EENIE WEENIE PUPPIES...ALL 47 OF THEM WHO WILL BE SNIFFING AND CRYING AT THE BACK DOOR...ALL THEY NEED IS LOVE FOOD AND SHELTER...SO JUST GIVE IT TO THEM...U NASTY NASTY PEOPLE

YEH AND DONATE YOUR NAKED MODELS AND GUITARS AND GET THOSE POOR HOMELESS EENIE WEENIE PUPPIES...ALL 47 OF THEM WHO WILL BE SNIFFING AND CRYING AT THE BACK DOOR...ALL THEY NEED IS LOVE FOOD AND SHELTER...SO JUST GIVE IT TO THEM...U NASTY NASTY PEOPLE

What genras of rock music exist at this point? Post your opinion here!

Tell me your take on the state of rock and roll genras and what bands would you classify as such!

DONT PASS THIS ONE UP IT IS IMPORTANT! HOW MANY MARKETS ARE THERE AVAILIBLE TO TAKE A STAB AT WHERE

: TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

Re: What genras of rock music exist at this point? Post your opinion here!

well im not in any way saying that im a critique ( in fact you can and will be abel to tell im an old 80's rocker from my spelling!) but i am worried about the music industry. i am now 31 years old (rumple stiltskin to a musician) i own a pretty big guitar store... but see no action! its like kids just dont want it anymore! they use to come to my store in hoards! hell, i remember the DAYS! clubs packed... sneaking in to see your favorit band and then going home drunk as a skunk (hopeing mom dont catch ya!). where did it go? ive tried so hard to revive those days locally. so where does rock exist? well listen to house of hair with dee, its there. believe in it... its up to us to carry the flag right now. im sorry, but this generation just dont get the fact that your suppose to skip school to PRACTICE! so what do we do?
thanks
shane
guitar army
www.terracemusiccenter.com

Word, times a changin!

: well im not in any way saying that im a critique ( in fact you can and will be abel to tell im an old 80's rocker from my spelling!) but i am worried about the music industry. i am now 31 years old (rumple stiltskin to a musician) i own a pretty big guitar store... but see no action! its like kids just dont want it anymore! they use to come to my store in hoards! hell, i remember the DAYS! clubs packed... sneaking in to see your favorit band and then going home drunk as a skunk (hopeing mom dont catch ya!). where did it go? ive tried so hard to revive those days locally. so where does rock exist? well listen to house of hair with dee, its there. believe in it... its up to us to carry the flag right now. im sorry, but this generation just dont get the fact that your suppose to skip school to PRACTICE! so what do we do?
: thanks
: shane
: guitar army
: www.terracemusiccenter.com

Yeah its kinda scary! Some of the biggest names in rock and roll now are the same as when I was in high school.
There are some cool new bands out but I dont feel like they are the larger than life Cats I would go out to see in high school. I like bands like tool and limp bizkit and creed now but they dont blow me away. the last band to really turn my head was pearl jam but I hate the direction they've gone in. I grew up on ozzy, rush, zep, halen.But for all I know the new acts are the shit to the kids maybe its just the perspective.
One thing is for sure the music club seen for rock in the bay area is not what it was ten years ago when I was a kid. Most of the live rock venues have closed down and dried up. I dont know if kids are going to raves or what but the amount of all ages clubs is close to zero. Ya know now that I think about it... Who was the last ROCK GUITAR GOD. There has'nt been one in ages
Maybe Slash from guns and roses..... and how long ago was that? I think thats the difference we grew up in a era of ROCK GUITAR GODS. I'm talking about social Icons
Who drove kids into playing guitar like mag-nets! Halen,Page,Rhoads,Emmit,Lifeson,Slash. You know what I'm talking about.Times have changed But I'm really not worried sooner or latter the shit is going to break wide open. I would be happy to see a new band that could write some real catchy shit the kind that lasts longer than a month. But the industry will squeeze that sponge only long enough to get the water out.

Which Fender?

Im new to guitars, but I want to get a Fender. I have about $400 to spend so do I go for a Strat that wasnt made in the US or a Squire? Please help and thanks!

Re: Which Fender?

You have to play each model and listen to each one on an individual basis. Two exact guitars may feel different to you. Play as many as you can and buy the best you can afford. The more it costs the better the sound and workmanship, usually. Remember, play lots of guitars before you buy. Good luck.

Re: Which Fender? The one that sounds better!

: Im new to guitars, but I want to get a Fender. I have about $400 to spend so do I go for a Strat that wasnt made in the US or a Squire? Please help and thanks!

Snookdude is right Corinna you should play as many as possible. some guitars just fit together and sound better than others. As a general rule guitars that cost more usually sound better but dont let that stop you from buying a less exepensive guitar if it sounds and plays better than its American made brother that costs way more. Also there are plenty of nice used guitars looking for a home in a consignment shop near you. If I were you I would find a friend who has some nice equipment and has been playing awhile to go shopping with you. Your friends assesment and opinions may make purchasing the right guitar a little easier for you. You will have all their experience going to work for you.
F.Y.I. I purchsed my like new 1983 American made srat for $225.00 from a guy used and it plays and sounds great. All I had to do was call up an add in the paper.
Good luck
Dilby

Re: Which Fender? The one that sounds better!

I agree, A good quality used Fender would be a good choice if you can find one and definitely take someone along who knows about playing, It's been my experience that alot of shops will try to take advantage of someone who is new to playing. Personally, if i could not afford a quality American made strat then i would buy something else, because a good portion of what you are spending is only for that decal on the headstock if you know what i mean, and a new $400 strat won't have the quality of other new guitars out there in the same price range. If you have youre heart set on a Strat than i would look for a good used one and if you can't find that then save a little more for an American made. I played for 17 years before i got my first Strat, shes an American Deluxe with the locking tremelo setup, maple neck, and transparent Teal Green finish. I took out the stock pickups and dropped in an EMG-DG20, Oh is she a dream and i cant say enough good things about her. She ran me around $1300 with the new pickups and will be my main guitar for quite a while now I'm sure.
Good luck with playing and don't get frustrated by it in the beginning, the point where you become good enough to really enjoy playing is an important step, alot of people never get there, but once you get there its like nothing else.

E-mail me if i can help,
Brad

IBANEZ serial numbers

IBANEZ serial numbers

This popular thread has been given its own page : IBANEZ serial numbers

preventing corroded strings

hello there,
i've found your site to be extremely helpful and informative for me,
an aspiring, self-taught guitar player. i just wondered though, if i
could ask you a question regarding guitar strings. it seems like no
matter what kind of strings i buy, they get all corroded looking
loose their shine and town after only playing them for a short time.
i thought maybe it was my guitar, but i've found it happens with both
of my guitars. right now i'm in the market for about a 1000 dollar
taylor and i'm wondering if its strings too will wear out quickly.
now my hands sweat a lot when i play, but i just can't imagine it
would cause strings to go bad this quickly. and if it IS what's
causing it, how can i remedy this? well thanks for your time.

take it easy,
Josh Hoke

Re: preventing corroded strings( Wayne Charvel says...)

: hello there,
: i've found your site to be extremely helpful and informative for me,
: an aspiring, self-taught guitar player. i just wondered though, if i
: could ask you a question regarding guitar strings. it seems like no
: matter what kind of strings i buy, they get all corroded looking
: loose their shine and town after only playing them for a short time.
: i thought maybe it was my guitar, but i've found it happens with both
: of my guitars. right now i'm in the market for about a 1000 dollar
: taylor and i'm wondering if its strings too will wear out quickly.
: now my hands sweat a lot when i play, but i just can't imagine it
: would cause strings to go bad this quickly. and if it IS what's
: causing it, how can i remedy this? well thanks for your time.

:
: take it easy,
: Josh Hoke

O.K. Josh here's what Wayne Charvel ( founder of Charvel Guitars and former master guitar luthier at Gibson Guitars ) told me about five years ago from his little custom guitar shop in Paradise California ( just up the hill from Chico California i.e. Chico State University) .He told me that he has seen this from a few guitar players where they seem to just corrode strings like their fingers are made of acid. His opinion is that it has to do with PH levels in your sweat which might be influenced by diet and body chemisrty. His recomondation at the time was to clean your strings with a little oil( I cant remember exactly what type but I'm sure one of those guitar cleaning kits would work ) or even use a little WD40 on your strings before and after playing for maximum protection.He also said try varying the foods you eat and see if that makes a difference. He was looking at my guitar at the time and asked me how old my strings are. He guessed about four months and I said how about two weeks. I had been practicing with my band and giging at the time so I probably had 30+ hours on them. So I guess it's safe to say you are not alone out there. So the question for you is how long do you usually let your strings stay on. If you play alot then you will need to change strings more frequently and the oil and frequent cleaning will help also.

F.Y.I. Wayne is a very cool guy and I was fortunate enough to speak with him in his office in the back of his shop. This place is filled with pictures of him and just about anyone who was any one in the guitar playing world in the last twentyfive years. Theres a nice picture of Wayne with Eddie & Valerie Van Halen on the wall.I asked him about Eddie and he told me he (Wayne) used to own a small guitar shop in Southern California
some years ago and Eddie used to come in as a little kid and sit down on the floor and play guitar in his shop.
Wayne is still making beutiful guitars in his little shop in Paradise ( yes its a real town my buddy lives there ). He makes some fancy guitars up there some of which are covered in pieces of abalone shell(like the inlays but covering the entire body of the guitar) They are very beutiful. His son is getting in the act to and at the time was building custom covered guitar cases made to order. You may want to look around online and see if they have a posting anywhere.
good Luck!

Re: preventing corroded strings( Wayne Charvel says...)

: : hello there,
: : i've found your site to be extremely helpful and informative for me,
: : an aspiring, self-taught guitar player. i just wondered though, if i
: : could ask you a question regarding guitar strings. it seems like no
: : matter what kind of strings i buy, they get all corroded looking
: : loose their shine and town after only playing them for a short time.
: : i thought maybe it was my guitar, but i've found it happens with both
: : of my guitars. right now i'm in the market for about a 1000 dollar
: : taylor and i'm wondering if its strings too will wear out quickly.
: : now my hands sweat a lot when i play, but i just can't imagine it
: : would cause strings to go bad this quickly. and if it IS what's
: : causing it, how can i remedy this? well thanks for your time.

: :
: : take it easy,
: : Josh Hoke

: O.K. Josh here's what Wayne Charvel ( founder of Charvel Guitars and former master guitar luthier at Gibson Guitars ) told me about five years ago from his little custom guitar shop in Paradise California ( just up the hill from Chico California i.e. Chico State University) .He told me that he has seen this from a few guitar players where they seem to just corrode strings like their fingers are made of acid. His opinion is that it has to do with PH levels in your sweat which might be influenced by diet and body chemisrty. His recomondation at the time was to clean your strings with a little oil( I cant remember exactly what type but I'm sure one of those guitar cleaning kits would work ) or even use a little WD40 on your strings before and after playing for maximum protection.He also said try varying the foods you eat and see if that makes a difference. He was looking at my guitar at the time and asked me how old my strings are. He guessed about four months and I said how about two weeks. I had been practicing with my band and giging at the time so I probably had 30+ hours on them. So I guess it's safe to say you are not alone out there. So the question for you is how long do you usually let your strings stay on. If you play alot then you will need to change strings more frequently and the oil and frequent cleaning will help also.
:
: F.Y.I. Wayne is a very cool guy and I was fortunate enough to speak with him in his office in the back of his shop. This place is filled with pictures of him and just about anyone who was any one in the guitar playing world in the last twentyfive years. Theres a nice picture of Wayne with Eddie & Valerie Van Halen on the wall.I asked him about Eddie and he told me he (Wayne) used to own a small guitar shop in Southern California
: some years ago and Eddie used to come in as a little kid and sit down on the floor and play guitar in his shop.
: Wayne is still making beutiful guitars in his little shop in Paradise ( yes its a real town my buddy lives there ). He makes some fancy guitars up there some of which are covered in pieces of abalone shell(like the inlays but covering the entire body of the guitar) They are very beutiful. His son is getting in the act to and at the time was building custom covered guitar cases made to order. You may want to look around online and see if they have a posting anywhere.
: good Luck!
:
DON'T USE WD40.

Re: preventing corroded strings

Before changing your diet, just try wiping your strings off top & bottom with a rag EVERY time you get done playing. When you sweat, you sweat salt. Salt on metal does bad things. I have doubled the life of my strings just by wiping them off every time.

: hello there,
: i've found your site to be extremely helpful and informative for me,
: an aspiring, self-taught guitar player. i just wondered though, if i
: could ask you a question regarding guitar strings. it seems like no
: matter what kind of strings i buy, they get all corroded looking
: loose their shine and town after only playing them for a short time.
: i thought maybe it was my guitar, but i've found it happens with both
: of my guitars. right now i'm in the market for about a 1000 dollar
: taylor and i'm wondering if its strings too will wear out quickly.
: now my hands sweat a lot when i play, but i just can't imagine it
: would cause strings to go bad this quickly. and if it IS what's
: causing it, how can i remedy this? well thanks for your time.

:
: take it easy,
: Josh Hoke

This happens to everyone. THose recommendations are fine, but you can only get a certain amount of time out of strings. If you try another Wayne Charvel trick, try boiling the strings in water, for like 10 minutes, treat it like pasta, just don't eat it, and then put the strings back on. All the grease and gunk will come off, and you have brand new strings

Here one more bit. I can't explain the difference in strings, since the urban legend is that they all come from the same elves in the same factory. Nevertheless, after 30 years of playing 12-string (and believe me changing strings is a real chore) I've had very good results with two brands: Dean Markley Bronze and recently, Elixir's strings are lasting incredibly and sound fine despite my reservations about the mystery coating on the wound strings. Best of luck.

Free ads. Noticeboard

Place your ads free on the noticeboard at acetutor.net

Re: Free ads. Noticeboard

FREE LOAN AND MONEY: You can be on your way to receive all from Canadian and Netherlands firm with a small $30 participation fees and Never have to REPAY. Send US $2 for postage and package. Ashek, GPO Box-148, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh.

which preamp ????

Hi guys, don't know which preamp I should get for my Mesa/Boogie 50/50 a ADA MP1,ADA MP2 or a Sansamp SPA1
any suggestions ??

Thanx

Raf

Re: which preamp ????

dude, if you want you rigg tou rock, let me know what sound your looking for.... ive built riggs for years now, and its not the combo of amp and preamp- its what your after! i can help.
email me at shane_b15@yahoo.com

dude, if you want you rigg to rock, let me know what sound your looking for.... ive built riggs for years now, and its not the combo of amp and preamp- its what your after! i can help.
email me at shane_b15@yahoo.com

ADA mp1 hands down....it simply owns

Tascam portastudio 488

Hi, just picked up a 488 without the manual. Anyone know how to play the tape back at normal speed?

Re: Tascam portastudio 488

: Hi, just picked up a 488 without the manual. Anyone know how to play the tape back at normal speed?

Go to Tascam's website. I believe it is www.Teac.com. They have manuals in PDF form that you could print out. It won't only help you with your problem, but with future ones

No possibilty apart making a down pitch ... !!!
I have the manual ...

what i meant to say was, i also don't have a manual for the tascam 488. can someone please help me???

: Hi, just picked up a 488 without the manual. Anyone know where to get one?

: Hi, just picked up a 488 without the manual. Anyone know how to play the tape back at normal speed?

: : Hi, just picked up a 488 without the manual. Anyone know where to get one

something new.....

DOWNLOAD MSREADER AND MY E-BOOK AT ACETUTOR.NET AND SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO FOLLOW MY LEAD GUITAR LESSONS.....BEGINERS AND ADVANCED CATERED FOR

Re: something new.....

hi ..
Acctually i am new commer i only want to learn that how to play Guitar
then plz if u can help then mail me.

Ty Tuschen? Are you Ty from Bogbean in Redding, CA?

Wass up dude? Sorry about all that - are you guys alright? I SWEAR Im a nice psyco. Im stayin far away. I just wanted to marry her. I thought she wanted to marry me. I saw 3 things happen in the "natural world" that proved what I was believing so I thought she must have been having the same experiences. You dig my groove? I wanted a picture before I moved ( after I talked to her on the phone ) but I didnt want to freak her out if I was standing accross the street taking pictures - she looks like a ghost I know - you need pictures of everyone at Bogbean on your internet page. I cant take pictures of my ghost.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.