Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - September, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Corroded Strings

Strings are cheap for electrics. Change often.
However acoustics strings, (bronze, phosphor bronze ect) start going bad the moment they are made. Try to buy the freshest strings possible. On my Breedlove and Takamine, I've been using Elixer poly-coated strings with great success. They last an incredibly long time.
Some say they is a loss of projection with them, but I found it to be of little consequence. They're worth the extra money.
On electrics, just change frequently, they're cheap.

framus star bass

Looking for Bill Wyman style star bass,anyone know of one for sale?

Re: framus star bass

: Looking for Bill Wyman style star bass,anyone know of one for sale?

: : Looking for Bill Wyman style star bass,anyone know of one for sale?

Ther's one at Bass Palace for sale. Better late than never.

RGDS

LB

http://www.basspalace.com/dynamic/basslist/4StringBass

: Looking for Bill Wyman style star bass,anyone know of one for sale?
yes i have a 1968 sunburst star bass that i am looking to sell. email me for details.
CB

suggestion on a guitar.

I like to play rock, hard rock, metal and clean stuff. What would be a good guitar that fits those styles (nothing with a floyd)

Re: suggestion on a guitar.Whats your Budget?

: I like to play rock, hard rock, metal and clean stuff. What would be a good guitar that fits those styles (nothing with a floyd)

Hey Mike whats your budget? There are lots of great guitars out there so I can only give you my opinion.
I have been playing Carvin guitars for 15 years,the first one I bought used and the second two I bought new.. I also have a 1983 Fender American Strat that I bought used a couple of years ago. And I bought and sold a Gibson Les Paul Custom after I played it against the Carvins. I like to see some bang for my buck and you can buy a nicely adorned carvin thats made in America and is consistantly rated high by the guitar magazines as far as value ,tone, and worksmanship. They are great for Rock,Industrialstrength metal,Jazz and blues. I havent found anything that mine couldnt do well for alot less money than alot of brand name axes.
I love my strat but its just not versital enough for my band. Mine has three single coils so I'm shure if you got one with a humbucker (for rock) you would probably be fine. The Les Paul looked great but was to heavy and didn't sound as good as my Carvins yet lots of folks lovem. They are pretty much the International symbol for Rock. If I could have my pick of expensive guitars right now I would probably buy a Tom Anderson next they are versital and well made but expensive. If I were you I would check out Harmony Central guitar section and read some reviews.Also Check out Carvin Customshop and check out their goodies They are a Mail order company but dont let that bother you You can try the guitar out for ten days and if you no like send it back!

Re: suggestion on a guitar.

: I like to play rock, hard rock, metal and clean stuff. What would be a good guitar that fits those styles (nothing with a floyd)

Make sure you pay attention to the pickups. They will dictate the majority of your sound and tone. Personally I like Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio. These are usually found in the better Ibanez, Jacksons, and ESP's. Make sure you play whatever you choose through your personal equipment so you get the best idea of what it will sound like. All of these guitars can be bought with a fixed bridge. Good luck.

Well, I have a strat (actually 3), a Gibson SG and a epiphone les paul standard.

For rock, my pick is the SG, very verstile and the lightest of the bunch too...If your not playing in a band then look at a les paul (if you can afford it). The strat deluxe is very nice too...I have a SRV model, a american standard and a 50's model...all are very different in playability and sound. But is I had to pick one guitar, the SG would be it...

I got a good deal on a new Gibson Les Paul from www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com it rocks and sings. The Les Paul is the ultimate guitar for heavy or clean sound. If your more into a twangy blues sound go with a Fender Strat (american standard).

: : I like to play rock, hard rock, metal and clean stuff. What would be a good guitar that fits those styles (nothing with a floyd)

: I got a good deal on a new Gibson Les Paul from www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com it rocks and sings. The Les Paul is the ultimate guitar for heavy or clean sound. If your more into a twangy blues sound go with a Fender Strat (american standard).

All that site is, is a portal to Musiciansfriend.com, I hate when people shamelessly try to get hits for their site

intonation

i need to know how to accurately check if the intonation is correct on my sg

Re: intonation

: i need to know how to accurately check if the intonation is correct on my sg

The best thing to do is take your guitar to a guitar tech with a scope and let him set it up. Most guitar shops have someone they use and it doesn't cost much.

corroded strings

I say if you're having a real hard time with sweat eatin' up your strings, try some stainless steel strings. I hate changing strings and at one time I had too many guitars. The stainless strings, (ovation brand) lasted on my Guild Starfire 5, for four years of intermitent play. They don't sound as good as new regular steel strings, kinda' toned down a bit, but they don't get worse over time, like the regular strings do. If you prefer regular strings, It also helps to wipe the neck off after each session. They will last a lot longer with some simple care.If all else fails, try playing your guitar on top of your barn during a lightning storm.You won't have to worry about strings any more.

Re: corroded strings

: I say if you're having a real hard time with sweat eatin' up your strings, try some stainless steel strings. I hate changing strings and at one time I had too many guitars. The stainless strings, (ovation brand) lasted on my Guild Starfire 5, for four years of intermitent play. They don't sound as good as new regular steel strings, kinda' toned down a bit, but they don't get worse over time, like the regular strings do. If you prefer regular strings, It also helps to wipe the neck off after each session. They will last a lot longer with some simple care.If all else fails, try playing your guitar on top of your barn during a lightning storm.You won't have to worry about strings any more.

I agree with wiping your strings off. If you produce that much sweat, wipr them off between
songs. But DON'T USE WD40!!!! I have used it before and residue will build up on the neck
over time.

: : I say if you're having a real hard time with sweat eatin' up your strings, try some stainless steel strings. I hate changing strings and at one time I had too many guitars. The stainless strings, (ovation brand) lasted on my Guild Starfire 5, for four years of intermitent play. They don't sound as good as new regular steel strings, kinda' toned down a bit, but they don't get worse over time, like the regular strings do. If you prefer regular strings, It also helps to wipe the neck off after each session. They will last a lot longer with some simple care.If all else fails, try playing your guitar on top of your barn during a lightning storm.You won't have to worry about strings any more.

: I agree with wiping your strings off. If you produce that much sweat, wipr them off between
: songs. But DON'T USE WD40!!!! I have used it before and residue will build up on the neck
: over time.

www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com has a little blurb on string and fretboard maintenance right now. Check it out!

screw your lame site putz

give it a rest lame ass, your site sucks

: www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com has a little blurb on string and fretboard maintenance right now. Check it out!

: : : I say if you're having a real hard time with sweat eatin' up your strings, try some stainless steel strings. I hate changing strings and at one time I had too many guitars. The stainless strings, (ovation brand) lasted on my Guild Starfire 5, for four years of intermitent play. They don't sound as good as new regular steel strings, kinda' toned down a bit, but they don't get worse over time, like the regular strings do. If you prefer regular strings, It also helps to wipe the neck off after each session. They will last a lot longer with some simple care.If all else fails, try playing your guitar on top of your barn during a lightning storm.You won't have to worry about strings any more.

: : I agree with wiping your strings off. If you produce that much sweat, wipr them off between
: : songs. But DON'T USE WD40!!!! I have used it before and residue will build up on the neck
: : over time.

: www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com has a little blurb on string and fretboard maintenance right now. Check it out!

>> how about Fastfret (TM) ?

FOUR YEARS????? you left strings on your guitar for 4 years??? you must not play much.

: I say if you're having a real hard time with sweat eatin' up your strings, try some stainless steel strings. I hate changing strings and at one time I had too many guitars. The stainless strings, (ovation brand) lasted on my Guild Starfire 5, for four years of intermitent play. They don't sound as good as new regular steel strings, kinda' toned down a bit, but they don't get worse over time, like the regular strings do. If you prefer regular strings, It also helps to wipe the neck off after each session. They will last a lot longer with some simple care.If all else fails, try playing your guitar on top of your barn during a lightning storm.You won't have to worry about strings any more.

Re: corroded strings & Googalies

If you're serious about string care and maintaining the finish of your instuments, use what many luthiers and guitar collectors use. Check out www.googalies.com/music.htm

Fender 75 Tube Amp

Fender 75 Tube Amp

This popular thread has been given its own page : Fender 75 Tube Amp

who knows a link wit pictures of Trey Anatasio's guitar?

hhfj

Re: who knows a link wit pictures of Trey Anatasio's guitar?

: hhfj

Go to Fender.com, its one of their highest priced models

Need suggestions on an all tablature scales book.

Can someone please refer me to a "good" guitar scales instruction book written in all tabs? ( beginner - advanced) doesnt matter, just need to find one on paper. Thanks. Please post and name and Pub so I can find it..

Re: Need suggestions on an all tablature scales book.

: Can someone please refer me to a "good" guitar scales instruction book written in all tabs? ( beginner - advanced) doesnt matter, just need to find one on paper. Thanks. Please post and name and Pub so I can find it..

Just go to your local guitar shop. It will have scale books written in tab. They are usually inexspensive.
Good luck.

Epiphone Dwight

Does anyone know something about the Epiphone Dwight model ? Maybe even have a picture of one ?

Re: Epiphone Dwight

Did you ever get any relpies?

What do you want to know specifically???

Re: Epiphone Dwight

: Does anyone know something about the Epiphone Dwight model ? Maybe even have a picture of one ?
I have one and it's almost impossible to get any info on it. I know it's a 1966 epiphone dwight model. Green stained wood finish. And it's been 100% restore. All original parts.

-Tim

SUPER 80´S IBAÑEZ GUITAR, DO YOU KNOW THIS GUITAR?

DO YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT SUPER 80´S IBAÑEZ GUITAR?

PLEASE TELL ALL THAT YOU KNOW OF THIS GUITAR.
TANX.

Re: SUPER 80´S IBAÑEZ GUITAR, DO YOU KNOW THIS GUITAR?

: DO YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT SUPER 80´S IBAÑEZ GUITAR?

: PLEASE TELL ME ALL THAT YOU KNOW OF THIS GUITAR.
: TANX.

I know a little about it.

Hey mate!! I have a super 80's too, and I dont know too much about it, but I will give u a little history lesson on it. A while back Ibanez got the bright idea to mimic Gibson's style of the Les Paul, and that they did, until the guitar got too close to the design of the Les Paul. Ibanez ended up getting sued by Gibson over this guitar. I dont really know anything else, except that a buddy of mine @ a shop said that he would pay me two grand for it, so yea, it's expensive!!! If you know anything else, please email me!!!!!

schaller tuning instability

I have the Deluxe American series Stratocaster with schaller tuners. When I press the bar down some strings are sharpening in pitch, and when those strings are bent up a step the pitch lowers again.

I have the Deluxe American series Stratocaster with schaller tuners. When I press the bar down some strings are sharpening in pitch, and when those strings are bent up a step the pitch lowers again.

tuning instability - schallers/trem

I have the Deluxe American series Stratocaster with schaller tuners. When I press the bar down some strings are sharpening in pitch, and when those strings are bent up a step the pitch lowers again. Anyone got any ideas ? I've adjusted the screws at the top of the pegs but it still won't stay in tune when I use the trem bar

Re: tuning instability - schallers/trem

Hmm.Don't know much about schallers,but i've experience
with locking trems. I don't think the tuners are the
problem,it's the nut.Sometimes the strings get caught on the nut because by "diving" down the strings tend to
move laterally as well as horizontaly.Talk to your
guitar tech. about widenind the slots in the nut,this
might help.
Good Luck

how do I paint my guitar

I have a design I want to stencil onto my guitar with an airbrush and I need to know what I need to do to prepare the guitar, what type of paint I should use, and what I need to put over the paint to protect it.

Re: how do I paint my guitar

: I have a design I want to stencil onto my guitar with an airbrush and I need to know what I need to do to prepare the guitar, what type of paint I should use, and what I need to put over the paint to protect it.

Unless you really know what you are doing don't attempt it. It will wind up looking tacky and amateurish.
Get a professional to do it,in the end it will be worth it.

: I have a design I want to stencil onto my guitar with an airbrush and I need to know what I need to do to prepare the guitar, what type of paint I should use, and what I need to put over the paint to protect it.

Hope dis answers your questions. (in order)
1) Prepare the guitar carefully.
2) Use Rustoleum (doesn't rust)
3) Spread grease over the guitar (where you don't want paint)
wash off with laquer thinner or any other hash stuff use sandpaper #60 on hard to clean areas.

Also- Foget the air-brush, just get an old broom and go for it. (Gives a texture look)
Good luck in yer project.

i want to paint my entire guitar over. do i do the same thing

How do paint my guitar so i dont get that plain rough blue look. How do i get the guitar to shine again?

Re: where can i find paint for my guitar

: : I have a design I want to stencil onto my guitar with an airbrush and I need to know what I need to do to prepare the guitar, what type of paint I should use, and what I need to put over the paint to protect it.

: Hope dis answers your questions. (in order)
: 1) Prepare the guitar carefully.
: 2) Use Rustoleum (doesn't rust)
: 3) Spread grease over the guitar (where you don't want paint)
: wash off with laquer thinner or any other hash stuff use sandpaper #60 on hard to clean areas.

: Also- Foget the air-brush, just get an old broom and go for it. (Gives a texture look)
: Good luck in yer project.

i donot know where you are located at but i usually charge around $125+ depending on the design i use house of color automotive paint(base coat, clear coat)
i you need info just e-mail me.

Just wanted to know if you had tried the methods listed in the follow-ups. if so let me know how they worked! thanks
-Matt

how do I put 2gether a guitar ??

: I wanna put together a guitar, I have the wood , All I want to know is how does the circuit goes connnected

i have a bass that realy needs painted could someone tell me how to do it on my own so that it does not look horrible bad

History of Takamine

I'm interested in knowing a little of Takamine's history. I know vaguely a little about the relationship to Martin guitars and I was wondering if anyone could take me through a brief history up to the lawsuit.

Re: History of Takamine

I am doing a target marketing project on acoustic guitars and Takamine is one of the three I chose to research. I was wondering if there is any information about the history and about current sales in Takamine guitars, preferrably Jasmine. If that is possible, I would be forever grateful. Thank you!!

Well, i own a Tak lawsuit guitar. It's gorgeous, but i can't seem to find any history on it whatsoever.
However, i have seen a few things in some vintage guitar books that you might wanna check out. Just go to a bookstore, and look for vintage/ rare guitar books, and you should find something.

Just to add to the Confusion of Takamine, About that same time, they produced some Solidbody Electrics, The closest I can get to an age on them is somewhere between 1975 & 1983, I'm pretty sure after that they went Totally Acoustic. Any more accurate info on the solidbody escapade they did would be great!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.