Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - September, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: History of Takamine

I purchased a Takamine copy of a Martin way back in 1987 in a pawn shop in Georgia while travelling in the States and before returning to England - at that time I had never heard of Takamine guitars. I cannot find any information about this guitar, its history, value etc. Does anyone have any information at all.

Eclectic Female Bassist Seeks Serious Band

Bass Guitarist Seeks recording/touring original rock band. Have Pro gear including Hartke 800 watt bi-amp 2x15, 2x10 cabs, Steinberger frettless and fretted 5 string, 5 string Jazz, Washburn accoustic. Upright bass in style of swing and theater. Can read charts. Experience recording, gigging, Opened for national acts, punk, grunge, pop, alternative, hard rock... Willing to do much more. "If I'm ever making music and NOT having the Time Of My Life, check my pulse I must be dead"! Based in Cleveland, OH. Can relocate. http://www.geocities.com/bassistjammer/ E-Mail BassistJammer@aol.com

julian bream

I am looking for the noted music,larghetto by mozart. mr bream recorded it on the album,Popular classics for the Soanish guitar. I would like to know where I can purchase it. Thanks much

julian bream

I am looking for the noted music,larghetto by mozart. mr bream recorded it on the album,Popular classics for the Sanish guitar. I would like to know where I can purchase it. Thanks much

Ibanez rg220 help

I have just bought an Ibanez rg220 with a floy rose single locking tremolo. Can anybody please tell me how to use it properly and how to replace the strings?

Re: Ibanez rg220 help

yea u loosen the screws at the bottm of the bridge not the fine tuning but the other srews and take them out where u tune the guitar

Les Paul Standard Lite

Has anyone played a Les Paul Standard Lite.. I just want to know peoples opinions...

Re: Les Paul Standard Lite

: Has anyone played a Les Paul Standard Lite.. I just want to know peoples opinions...

I do, and is great..., smooth and strong

Theory query

As an old new comer to music and being without the benefit of a good ear i struggle to find cords for songs i would like to try to play. sometimes however i have a copy of the sheet music but without the cords. Can anyone tell me how i can determine what chords go with what notes in the music, when someone writes a song how do they determine what are suitable chords for the melody, what are the rules. i understand scales, root, third, fifth, etc but cannot find the connection. recommended reading advice always accepted, please be kind enough to email any replies
to me at pat.humphreys@lineone.net
kindest regards
pat.h

Re: Theory query

Hmm.Even-though I have a good ear,I too find it tough
to write or play tunes that only have a melody line.
I had to do this for a drummer friend for mine.Most
melody lines revolve around one tone,thats where ear training comes in.But by playing the melody on guitar
you might be able to find the note that is most common.
That could be the root of the chords in question.After
that,try to find the arpeggios in the melody,this could
help you find the chord quality(ie.major,minor,7th ect.
ect.)
Hope this helps

Rickenbacher Lap Steel

Have a rickenbacher lap steel estimated to be manufactored in late thirtys or early fourties, Good condition, just one string adjustment missing a knob. Any idea what something like this would be worth?

Re: Rickenbacher Lap Steel

: Have a rickenbacher lap steel estimated to be manufactored in late thirtys or early fourties, Good condition, just one string adjustment missing a knob. Any idea what something like this would be worth?

I have one also. Believe it or not the "frying pan" is not worth a great deal of money! I was shocked to discover that fact given their distinct place in the history of the guitar. maybe 1000-1200 on the high end. Notice the "h" in the name too instead of the "k" it is an older model. Have a National tricone style 2 round neck that I was pleasantly surprised to find was worth a great deal more than the lap steel.

Re: Rickenbacher Lap Steel

: : Have a rickenbacher lap steel estimated to be manufactored in late thirtys or early fourties, Good condition, just one string adjustment missing a knob. Any idea what something like this would be worth?

: E-mail me some pictures and I'll be glad to tell you more about it: jaydee@bellsouth.net

callouses

hey.
can anyone tell me how i can play the guitae without getting horrible callouses on my fingers? much appreciated. cheers

troi

Re: callouses

: hey.
: can anyone tell me how i can play the guitae without getting horrible callouses on my fingers? much appreciated. cheers

You just have to wait until your fingers get used to playing. The tips of you fingers will get used to the strings over time.
: troi

: : hey.
: : can anyone tell me how i can play the guitae without getting horrible callouses on my fingers? much appreciated. cheers

: You just have to wait until your fingers get used to playing. The tips of you fingers will get used to the strings over time.
: : troi

Those "horrible" callouses are what all guitarists look forward to developing because it is only then that your fingers stop bleeding and you don't suffer pain every time you play.
You can't be serious about your playing until they form, sorry!

be careful callouses form when you first start playing and you should take care notlet them build up to much as they can become very painful. they build from the bottom and spread out almost cone shaped the sharp bit on the bottom so when you press down it can feel like a thumb tack sticking in to your finger tip not good make sure that you use a pumice stone very gently with plenty of soap when you wash your hands (only a couple of times a week)this will take the callous off and make your playing soooo much easier,dont forget the hand cream every day. eventualy your fingertips will harden up all over. look after your hands.

does anyone by any chance know how to form callouses? though it sounds like a stupid question,after playing for a year my fingers won't form them.I have tried playing,not playing,lots of playing,everything. For some reason though,all that happens is the outer layer of skin on my fingertips shreds. Am i doin somethin wrong?

FRAMUS model 73 J

FOR SALE

MORE IBANEZ INFO?

Does anyone know of a website that gives a list of Ibanez models by year and gives the descriptions of each model? I found a site that showed this last week but I can't find it again. Thanks for the help.

Re: MORE IBANEZ INFO?

Check out the Blue Horizon page...quite a bit of info there...
http://209.1.224.12/xcvxcv65/blueibanez.htm

theory

i want to challenge anyone to a friendly music theory debate. i beleive i have developed a new way to explain theory, is there anyone who would like to indulge me?

Re: theory

yeah sure

what u got hot shot?

hehe

Make a reverbitater

I saw something somewhere about making a reverbitater or reverbitater. All I remember is that when you do the effect it involves putting the pickup close to or on to the springs in the back. Can anyone help with the rest?

Do you recognise this guitar

I have recently aquired an electric guitar, its a les paul copy by Jedson. Its black with black and white trim. a black scratch guard with black and white trim, twin humbucker pickups with a three way selector. It has a dark neck with silver frets and what looks like mother of pearl fret markers (fake or real, im not expert enough to know)again the neck has black and white trim. The serial number on the back of the neck is 1000213, it says made in Japan, and steel adjustable neck. If thats not enough info, I can e-mail pictures to people who think they may have an idea.

Does anybody know anything about this guitar, if its good quality, what you would pay for it, (Its NOT for sale though, it was a birthday prezzy from my girlfriend).

Cheers!!

Dave

Re: Do you recognise this guitar

: I have recently aquired an electric guitar, its a les paul copy by Jedson. Its black with black and white trim. a black scratch guard with black and white trim, twin humbucker pickups with a three way selector. It has a dark neck with silver frets and what looks like mother of pearl fret markers (fake or real, im not expert enough to know)again the neck has black and white trim. The serial number on the back of the neck is 1000213, it says made in Japan, and steel adjustable neck. If thats not enough info, I can e-mail pictures to people who think they may have an idea.

: Does anybody know anything about this guitar, if its good quality, what you would pay for it, (Its NOT for sale though, it was a birthday prezzy from my girlfriend).

: Cheers!!

: Dave

It's a Jedson Les Paul copy worth "0"

Lets hope she didnt pay too much then ;)

: I have recently aquired an electric guitar, its a les paul copy by Jedson. Its black with black and white trim. a black scratch guard with black and white trim, twin humbucker pickups with a three way selector. It has a dark neck with silver frets and what looks like mother of pearl fret markers (fake or real, im not expert enough to know)again the neck has black and white trim. The serial number on the back of the neck is 1000213, it says made in Japan, and steel adjustable neck. If thats not enough info, I can e-mail pictures to people who think they may have an idea.

: Does anybody know anything about this guitar, if its good quality, what you would pay for it, (Its NOT for sale though, it was a birthday prezzy from my girlfriend).

: Cheers!!

: Dave

I've just bought a similar guitar but with more of a "natural wood" finish. I'm a beginner who just fancied learning to play. Mine is about 25 years old but in great condition. I bought it from a pretty well respected bloike who repairs and builds guitars. He told me that Jedson produced some of the better quality les Paul copies and I'm very pleased with mine. I wouldn't get too worried when people "knock" these instruments, if you like the feel of it and enjoy playing it I don't see what the problem is. If I win the lottery and can afford the genuine article, then maybe! However, I suspect that unless you are an experienced and skiullful guitarist, you wouldn't even notice the difference. I did read that Dave Gilmore plays some Jedson guitars so I think we could be in good company. Please feel free to get in touch. Bye. Mike.

classical sheet music

HI!
I have been trying to locate some sheet music. It is by Simon and Garfunkel and for classical guitar. Is anyone
familiar with this? I know that I owned it once but am beginning to think I am crazy! Please let me know ANY information that you may have.
Thanks!

Hi-fi Amp Eq into guitar effect?

Is it possible to transform an old hi-fi amplifier with Eq-band into a Eq effect for guitar?
Thanks in advance Andreas

kramers

Why are these so cheap? From their specs they look extremely good, and I like the idea behind their pickups. any wanna share any dirt or good points on this guitar?

Re: kramers

I have a Kramer focus 1000. Not sure what it's worth, plays great, and cost me $1000. I know they went out of business many years back. Anyways, for what that's worth .
~jas.

Re: kramers

They are so cheap because they are cheap now. I used to have a Kramer Savant III, it was a great guitar. I paid about $900 for it. They were bought by another company but I forget who and now they are making them crap cheap.

96 Fender Foto Flame

I have a 96 Fender Foto Flame Strat, with a cherry sunburst finish and what looks like a maple top, and a cracked ice pickguard. The top has strips that run parallel to the pickups and it looks like tiger stripes. The neck looks like quilted maple, with a rosewood fingerboard. The headstock has a gold Fender logo on it, along with the words original contour body. The back of the headstock has a silver Foto Flame logo on it, and the headstock is quilted maple also. It has 3 singlecoil pickups and a tremelo bridge.
I wanted to know if anyone knew how rare it was or how much it might be worth. it is made in Japan. Thankyou, please email me with a response

Re: 96 Fender Foto Flame

guitar center use to sell them by the boat load for around 300 bucks.
Its a cool guitar though. I sometimes play one at the facility i work at. It's a honey burst. Cherry MIGHT be worth a couple of bucks more.
It's not rare but it is a solid axe. might as well enjoy it.
ron

: I have a 96 Fender Foto Flame Strat, with a cherry sunburst finish and what looks like a maple top, and a cracked ice pickguard. The top has strips that run parallel to the pickups and it looks like tiger stripes. The neck looks like quilted maple, with a rosewood fingerboard. The headstock has a gold Fender logo on it, along with the words original contour body. The back of the headstock has a silver Foto Flame logo on it, and the headstock is quilted maple also. It has 3 singlecoil pickups and a tremelo bridge.
: I wanted to know if anyone knew how rare it was or how much it might be worth. it is made in Japan. Thankyou, please email me with a response

Ive got one just like yours!!!
nifty "gold-tone" foto-flame maple cap on whats either heavy basswood or light alder body, pearl pickguard, rosewood clay dots fretboard on heavily fotoflamed neck

i got mine 'almost mint' on ebay for US$325 including fender gig bag. These are awesome guitars, big fat tone, loud acoustically, BIG FAT neck, like clapton or SRV neck profile only rounder... very sweet pickups too!
These are a steal, keep yours for a decade and i bet it will be worth a lot more than similar guitars made tha same year....

im perfectly happy with mine, as good or better than any other '50th anniversary" 60's reissue

Do either of you have the natural foto flame strat? I've been looking for one of the naturals, but just found the cherry burst and never been a big fan of the cherry burst. thanks

I've got one with a maple neck and skunk stripe, it's a big V shape and the body is cherry fotoflame. I bought mine a little more than a year ago for around $500,- but these are more expensive in Europe I guess. It was said that mine belonged to the last of the series. Ik love it so much I put a hotrails in the bridge position and never play my LesPaul anymore although it was supposed to be a much better guitar!
BTW if anyone knows a website dedicated to these guitars, please share it with us!

Have fun and hold on to that strat!

Question on maker of Guitar

Can anybody tell me about this Hibari Guitar I have, I
know it was made by or distributed Trio out of Calf.?
I have used it for the last 16 yrs. as a party guitar to pass around. No idea what it cost new or now?

Re: Question on maker of Guitar

Hey, I have a Hibari guitar also, can't seem to find any info out there on it. Cost, good or bad etc..?

soukous guitarplaying

soukous guitarplaying

This popular thread has been given its own page : soukous guitarplaying

PUTTING A HUMBUCKER IN A STRAT

HELLO ALL! WAS THINKING ABOUT BEEFING UP MY STRAT. I HAVE ALREADY REPLACED THE LACE SENSORS AND PUT THE TEXAS SPECIALS IN IT, BIT IT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH! I NEED MORE TONE AND PUNCH, SO I WAS CONSIDERING PUTTING A DUAL COIL IN THE NECK POSITION. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY'S TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TYPES AND COULD SHED A LITTLE LIGHT. I WAS THINKING ABOUT GOING WITH THE DIMARZIO EVOLUTION AS I HEAR IT SCREAMS, BUT SO MANY PEOPLE SAY THAT FOR STRAT UPGRADES TO USE SEYMOUR DUNCAN. ANY THOUGHTS? PLEASE E-MAIL ME WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. AREN'T MOST ALL DUAL COILS WIRED UP THE SAME? THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMM... THANKS, HAROLD

Re: PUTTING A HUMBUCKER IN A STRAT

: HELLO ALL! WAS THINKING ABOUT BEEFING UP MY STRAT. I HAVE ALREADY REPLACED THE LACE SENSORS AND PUT THE TEXAS SPECIALS IN IT, BIT IT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH! I NEED MORE TONE AND PUNCH, SO I WAS CONSIDERING PUTTING A DUAL COIL IN THE NECK POSITION. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY'S TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TYPES AND COULD SHED A LITTLE LIGHT. I WAS THINKING ABOUT GOING WITH THE DIMARZIO EVOLUTION AS I HEAR IT SCREAMS, BUT SO MANY PEOPLE SAY THAT FOR STRAT UPGRADES TO USE SEYMOUR DUNCAN. ANY THOUGHTS? PLEASE E-MAIL ME WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. AREN'T MOST ALL DUAL COILS WIRED UP THE SAME? THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMM... THANKS, HAROLD

Why did you buy a Strat in the first place?
Sounds like you should buy another guitar like a Les Paul or something similar.
Once you butcher your strat by routing out the body to fit in a humbucker it's value will be ZERO so you may as well buy another axe.
Don't be one of those morons who hacks up a perfectly good axe on a whim!

No need to rout out the body. I wanted to get a good strat sound without the noise so i went with Seymour classic stacks.
They are loud,clean and noiseless. seymour make another one like it that has a crunchier tone, I don't recall the model name, but it is a "stacked" pickup.
I've used the setup for 8 years now, without a problem.
Hope this helps.

: : HELLO ALL! WAS THINKING ABOUT BEEFING UP MY STRAT. I HAVE ALREADY REPLACED THE LACE SENSORS AND PUT THE TEXAS SPECIALS IN IT, BIT IT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH! I NEED MORE TONE AND PUNCH, SO I WAS CONSIDERING PUTTING A DUAL COIL IN THE NECK POSITION. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY'S TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TYPES AND COULD SHED A LITTLE LIGHT. I WAS THINKING ABOUT GOING WITH THE DIMARZIO EVOLUTION AS I HEAR IT SCREAMS, BUT SO MANY PEOPLE SAY THAT FOR STRAT UPGRADES TO USE SEYMOUR DUNCAN. ANY THOUGHTS? PLEASE E-MAIL ME WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. AREN'T MOST ALL DUAL COILS WIRED UP THE SAME? THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMM... THANKS, HAROLD

: Why did you buy a Strat in the first place?
: Sounds like you should buy another guitar like a Les Paul or something similar.
: Once you butcher your strat by routing out the body to fit in a humbucker it's value will be ZERO so you may as well buy another axe.
: Don't be one of those morons who hacks up a perfectly good axe on a whim!

seymour duncan?

Hey. Have you considered the Seymour Duncans Hot rails? I've got one in my Peavy strat copy and it sounds real good. It has a nice overdriven tone and a good clean tone as well. It cost eighty bucks and it's single coil size. It requires no routing on your strat. It's a nice sounding pickup, so you may want to put it on your candidates list. Hope this suggestion helps any.

I put a duncan lil 59 in my strat. It is a single coil size humbucker. I put it in the bridge position and it rocks. I think for what you are looking for this would be a good way to go. Plus musicians friend has them for $50. Hope this helps.

changing cords

Whats the best way to swicth cords?...

Re: changing cords

move your fingers

: Whats the best way to swicth cords?...

Pull out one cord and stick in the other.. hope this helps

: move your fingers

: : Whats the best way to swicth cords?...

Re: changing cords

: Whats the best way to swicth cords?...
Practise fisrt the cords slowly than incrise the speed.The more you play cords the faster you can switch to the next cord.Hope thos works!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.