Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Telecaster. Is this a good guitar?

1977 Telecaster with EMG pickups. Made in the USA. Natural finish. I think i'ts a custom. Great condition. It looks like Bruce Springsteen's. I live in a small town in Maine. Would you also tell me it's worth around my neck of the woods. P.S. I'm not a lumberjack. But I'm OK

Re: Telecaster. Is this a good guitar?

How much is it? I personally don't care a WHOLE lot for emgs, but a lot of people swear by them. I'd go and play it a bunch through a bunch of different amp settings. If it feels good, and plays well, and sounds good, and you like it, then go for it if the price is right, I don't know what it's worth, go ask the forums on (www.vguitar.com). Yes a telecaster is a good guitar. This one may be very good. Go play the hell out of it and give it a shot.
-Rick

EMG pickups. Are they good? How do they rate?

I'm looking to buy. Would you help me.

Re: EMG pickups. Are they good? How do they rate?

In everything that I've heard, they sound good, but they sound the same in every guitar, say a $200 HH squier and a $2000 les paul, sort of like it cuts all the tone of the wood out. So if you have a good sounding guitar, and it's not just the pickups, then EMGs won't take advantage of that. This is all simply stuff that I've read, I've never tried them myself.
I'd also be reluctant to have another battery to replace, especially if if were in my favorite axe.
-Rick

Well this goes to prove a point, you can't always believe what you've read. EMG's are without a doubt the best pickup ever made--I also work for EMG so my opinion may be a little biased. And as far as the battery is concerned, the obvious differences between active and passive pickups is well worth 9V...

I owned Kirk Hammet's KH-2 and exchanged it for a custom made Les Paul. The KH-2 skully has two emg 81's. I played it and compared it with my charvel american custom made jackson and noticed that there was no difference in sound except for the volume. The EMG 81's sounded noticably louder. I thought the EMG 81's have a loud and yet clear sound. If you want to get that crunchy metallica or slayer sound, then get emg 81 cuz that's what they use. but then again, i get the same sound with my jackson and i don't have emg's anymore.

Tokai guitars

I would like to get some information on how a can get a Tokai Les Paul copy. Can I import one to Sweden? Are the Japanese models availible anymore? If not, are the Korean models better than Epiphones?

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Tokai guitars

: I highly recommend the Tokai Love Rocket LP copy. I don't know about importing them from Sweden, but I recntly saw a gold top and a vintage sunburst for $800 and $1200 respectively in Vintage Guitar magazine.

Age my Martin D-18

I have a Martin D-18 with sunburst finish top.
The serial number is D-18 367369.
Can anyone tell me the year of this instrument?

Re: Age my Martin D-18

1975. By the way, you can look up Martin SN for dates on their web site.www.mguitar.com under "history" catagory.

Re: Age my Martin D-18

I would like to know the year and value of my D18 Martin. The serial number is 283545. It is in excellent condition. It comes with original, black hard case.

Anybody about the GT-3's expression pedal?

Can anybody please tell me what is capable of doing?
can you control delay time with it?? what else?
Also, is the GT-3 capable of combining at least two
delays simultaneously? thanx

Re: Anybody about the GT-3's expression pedal?

I have one, and the answer is yes on first and ? on second, but I think you can use two delays at same time not sure why you would but it has two. For me it is complicated and takes alot of time finding the sounds that I like. The big thing is it is one device that can do more then ill ever need. Their will be much to learn if you get one. But right out of the box their are a huge number of sounds that you will love. I get tired of caring all this crap around so this has been a plus for me.

Re: Anybody about the GT-3's expression pedal?

Look into gt-5 for the multiple delay. I dont know what reverse delay is but that may be what you are trying to do. I know the gt-5 can do that and the 3 can not.

I WANT A TELECASTER (BUT WITH A FLATTER RADIUS AND LOWER ACTION)

I LOVE THE SOUND OF TELECASTERS, BUT THE ONES IVE TRIED ARE A BIT HARD TO PLAY(HIGH ACTION). I KNOW THEY SOUND BETTER THIS WAY,BUT I NEED A LOW ACTION AS I HAVE GOT DAMAGED NERVES IN MY HAND. I HAVE A LES PAUL STANDARD(WITH VERY LOW ACTION AND 11 GAUGE STRINGS) BUT I JUST LOVE THE TELECASTER SOUND. IF I COULD, I WOULD ACCEPT THE HIGH ACTION BUT I CANT. I HAVE HEARD OF A COMPANY CALLED "WARMOUTH" WHO MAKE NECKS TO REPLACE FENDERS, THEY APPARENTLY HAVE A BIGGER RADIUS AND CAN HAVE A LOWER ACTION. ANY INFO WILL BE MUCH APPRICIATED

Re: I WANT A TELECASTER (BUT WITH A FLATTER RADIUS AND LOWER ACTION)

: I LOVE THE SOUND OF TELECASTERS, BUT THE ONES IVE TRIED ARE A BIT HARD TO PLAY(HIGH ACTION). I KNOW THEY SOUND BETTER THIS WAY,BUT I NEED A LOW ACTION AS I HAVE GOT DAMAGED NERVES IN MY HAND. I HAVE A LES PAUL STANDARD(WITH VERY LOW ACTION AND 11 GAUGE STRINGS) BUT I JUST LOVE THE TELECASTER SOUND. IF I COULD, I WOULD ACCEPT THE HIGH ACTION BUT I CANT. I HAVE HEARD OF A COMPANY CALLED "WARMOUTH" WHO MAKE NECKS TO REPLACE FENDERS, THEY APPARENTLY HAVE A BIGGER RADIUS AND CAN HAVE A LOWER ACTION. ANY INFO WILL BE MUCH APPRICIATED

: Check out the Peavey Cropper Classic. You's wanna change PUPS though

I WANT A TELECASTER (BUT WITH A FLATTER RADIUS AND LOWER ACTION)

I LOVE THE SOUND OF TELECASTERS, BUT THE ONES IVE TRIED ARE A BIT HARD TO PLAY(HIGH ACTION). I KNOW THEY SOUND BETTER THIS WAY,BUT I NEED A LOW ACTION AS I HAVE GOT DAMAGED NERVES IN MY HAND. I HAVE A LES PAUL STANDARD(WITH VERY LOW ACTION AND 11 GAUGE STRINGS) BUT I JUST LOVE THE TELECASTER SOUND. IF I COULD, I WOULD ACCEPT THE HIGH ACTION BUT I CANT. I HAVE HEARD OF A COMPANY CALLED "WARMOUTH" WHO MAKE NECKS TO REPLACE FENDERS, THEY APPARENTLY HAVE A BIGGER RADIUS AND CAN HAVE A LOWER ACTION. ANY INFO WILL BE MUCH APPRICIATED

Rock and Roll solo

Anyone know how I could get the music or tab for Led Zeppelin's Rock And Roll??

Re: Rock and Roll solo

well you could buy the book ?????

Gibson Serial #843343

I have a Gibson Electric hollowbody, sunburst, one-pick up guitar - I don't know the model it was probably around 1971. Any idea what it might be worth?

Re: Gibson Serial #843343

The gibson guitars from '67-'73 are, depending on the model, rare collectors items. Les Paul guitars from '61 have sold for upwards of $100,000. It may be a worthy investment to get a price estimate for it.

Need Cheep Amp That Works!!!!!!(Learing to play)

Hi im Rob,I just began to play guitar and I need to get a starter amp. My range is from 40-65$. So anyone that has a good amp e-mail me.Thanks

Need Cheep Amp That Works!!!!!!(Learning to play)

Hi im Rob,I just began to play guitar and I need to get a starter amp. My range is from 40-65$. So anyone that has a good amp e-mail me.Thanks

Re: Need Cheep Amp That Works!!!!!!(Learning to play)

danelectro make an awesome amp, for $80 its called the nifty fifty. its the first amp i bought, i've got a marshall now but i use the dano all the time.

Re: Brand New Start by Paul Weller

Brand New Start: Paul Weller
no capo

INTRO (play twice)
G D
---------(3)-------------2------ e
----------0---(0)-----------3--- b
---------------0------0--------- g
-------0----------0------------- d
--------------------------------- a
----3---------------------------- e

Em
---------------------------------------------------- e
---------------------------------------------------- b
---------------------------------------------------- g
----------------2----------------------------------- d
---0h2---2---------2--------0---------0---------- a
-------------------------0---------2---------3----- e

*NB: notes in brackets not played on intro. These are played
in place of the intro notes when indicated by * , in the verses.

1st verse:
G D Em
I'm gonna clear out my head,
G D Em
I'm gonna get myself straight,
G* D Em
I know it's never too late,
G* D C strum
To make a brand new start.

2nd verse:
G D Em
I'm gonna kick down the door,
G D Em
I'm gonna get myself in,
G* D Em
I'm gonna fix up the yard,
G* D C strum
And not fall back again.

Chorus:
G D Em
I'm gonna clear up my earth,
G D Em
And build a heaven on the ground,
G* D Em
That something distant unfound,
G* D C
Was something real to me
G strum D strum C strum
Was something real to me

Solo:
d----5s7--7s12--------7s5--------------
a------------------------------9-----------

d-5s9--9--9--9s12--12--12s9--9--------
a--------------------------------------------

d----9--9--9--9s12--12--12s14s12--9--
a--------------------------------------------

d-------9--9--9s10--9s7--7--7s5--------
a---------------------------------------7---

d-----9--9--9s12--9--5-------

3rd and 4th verses

Repeat chorus & solo

Repeat 1st verse

End:
To make a brand new start
To make a brand new start

Floyd Rose tail piece and bending strings(Help!!!)

Just bought a new guitar with Floyd Rose tail piece. This is awesome it works great.But I have noticed that when a string is bent the tail piece moves so that the pitch of all the strings drop down. This is not a problem for one string. But when I do common things like bending one string into the same note of another string while playing both string "its out". Example: the Intro to Ted Nugents "Strangle Hold". My questions are these 1. Is the tail piece suppose to do this "Move when bending strings". 2. How do you work around this. One thing I have done is add some wammy to it when I play these notes, but I dont think I should do this all the time. After playing all these years, it is almost like I have to relearn a new way to play the guitar. Help!!! LOL

Re: Floyd Rose tail piece and bending strings(Help!!!)

: Just bought a new guitar with Floyd Rose tail piece. This is awesome it works great.But I have noticed that when a string is bent the tail piece moves so that the pitch of all the strings drop down. This is not a problem for one string. But when I do common things like bending one string into the same note of another string while playing both string "its out". Example: the Intro to Ted Nugents "Strangle Hold". My questions are these 1. Is the tail piece suppose to do this "Move when bending strings". 2. How do you work around this. One thing I have done is add some wammy to it when I play these notes, but I dont think I should do this all the time. After playing all these years, it is almost like I have to relearn a new way to play the guitar. Help!!! LOL

I've never owned a guitar with a trem unit, and your problem is the reson why. It's not so much that your bridge "is supposed to" do what it does, it's just a side-efect of the design. The trem bridge uses springs inside the guitar to balance against the tension of the strings and allow the strings to return to pitch after you use the arm. This allows it generally to stay in tune quite well when you do all sorts of things that should mess up the tuning. However, there are two negatives. The first is that if you break a string then the springs become stronger than the five remaining strings and they pull the bridge back a little, sending all the unbroken strings slightly sharp, and all by different amounts. Secondly, as you're discovering, if you bend a string - thereby stretching it and increasing its tension - the springs give a little, allowing the whole bridge to move toward the neck very slightly, sending all the other strings flat. It's not a problem if you only play one string at a time when you use the arm, but it makes the sort of licks you're describing pretty much impossible. What you then need to decide is whether the ability to do cool whammy moves is worth more than the ability to do neat string bending licks. If it is you want a trem guitar, if it isn't you don't. Or you could use a second, non-trem guitar, for the other licks. I hope this doesn't shatter your pleasure of a new guitar!! All the best with it, whichever way you decide to play.

Keith

There's a device called a Trem-Setter that is designed to correct this problem. I'm not sure where to buy one, but I'm sure if you looked on www.musiciansfriend.com or some other on-line music store, you could find one.

I've never tried one, so I don't know how well it works.

: : Just bought a new guitar with Floyd Rose tail piece. This is awesome it works great.But I have noticed that when a string is bent the tail piece moves so that the pitch of all the strings drop down. This is not a problem for one string. But when I do common things like bending one string into the same note of another string while playing both string "its out". Example: the Intro to Ted Nugents "Strangle Hold". My questions are these 1. Is the tail piece suppose to do this "Move when bending strings". 2. How do you work around this. One thing I have done is add some wammy to it when I play these notes, but I dont think I should do this all the time. After playing all these years, it is almost like I have to relearn a new way to play the guitar. Help!!! LOL

: I've never owned a guitar with a trem unit, and your problem is the reson why. It's not so much that your bridge "is supposed to" do what it does, it's just a side-efect of the design. The trem bridge uses springs inside the guitar to balance against the tension of the strings and allow the strings to return to pitch after you use the arm. This allows it generally to stay in tune quite well when you do all sorts of things that should mess up the tuning. However, there are two negatives. The first is that if you break a string then the springs become stronger than the five remaining strings and they pull the bridge back a little, sending all the unbroken strings slightly sharp, and all by different amounts. Secondly, as you're discovering, if you bend a string - thereby stretching it and increasing its tension - the springs give a little, allowing the whole bridge to move toward the neck very slightly, sending all the other strings flat. It's not a problem if you only play one string at a time when you use the arm, but it makes the sort of licks you're describing pretty much impossible. What you then need to decide is whether the ability to do cool whammy moves is worth more than the ability to do neat string bending licks. If it is you want a trem guitar, if it isn't you don't. Or you could use a second, non-trem guitar, for the other licks. I hope this doesn't shatter your pleasure of a new guitar!! All the best with it, whichever way you decide to play.

: Keith

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it, as time goes on im finder ways around this problem, just by changeing the technique I use. I'll check out the trem setter, but im not holding my breath Thanks Again!

Yamaha guitar - model # FG 336SB

Yamaha guitar - model # FG 336SB

This popular thread has been given its own page : Yamaha guitar - model # FG 336SB

Soda Stereo...

Alguen conoce esta banda??

Re: Soda Stereo...

: Alguen conoce esta banda??

Soda Stereo is a band from Argentina, and they play Rock en spanish. They were kind of big in the late 80's but, all of the sudden they disapeared. I don't know if they are together anymore.

Soda Stereo fue una de las bandas mas influyentes en el rock en espanol. Se origino en Buenos Aires Argentina, sus integrantes consistieron de Gustavo Cerati, Charly Alberi, y zeta bosio. Empesaron tocando a nivel bajo en clubes en argentina como el Einstein, crecieron en popularidad a los empiesos de los 80's. desde su primer disco titulado Soda Stereo, fueron reconsodios como una de las mejores bandas amature de los 80's, con sonidos electricos, guitara acoustica, y el typico sonido syntetisado de los 80's, soda stereo llego a niveles giganticos de popularidad y fueron reconocidos mundialmente. despues de una serie de conciertos de despedida, despues de infinidades de discos como Cancion Animal, Dynamo, Comfort y musica para volar, rex-mix, Zona de Promesas, Sueno estereo, entre otros, soda stereo por fin se desintegro en 1996. Sus Integrantes siguen con projectos personales como Plan V, Y Cerati a sido muy sobresaliente con su carrera como solista, desde su primer devout como solista con "amor amarillo", (anterior mente havia realisado un disco con daniel melerno llamado "colores santos), pero su carrera como solista empeso con amor amarillo, luego siguen; bocanada, once epicodios synfonicos(un cd que incuye canciones de soda stereo e gustavo cerati), luego "bien",(un soudtrack de la pelicula en la cual el mismo actuo), final mente sigue "Hoy es siempre", mi cd favorito, con mesclas basadas en el hip-hop, electrico, y infinidades de sonidos, crati realmente logro componer uno de los mejores dicos de pop/rock en espanol de la historia. Cerati sigue escribiendo y componiendo canciones no solo para el sino tambien para porjectos particulares. Quedara en la historia como uno de los maestros de la musica indesechable.

: Alguien conoce esta banda?
si exelente banda que pone ala musica latina en lo alta exelentes tracks musica ligera y perciana americana.

hiokhiklmnh-lk
lp`lp

: : Alguien conoce esta banda?
: si exelente banda que pone ala musica latina en lo alta exelentes tracks musica ligera y perciana americana.
Eu conheço esta banda e é de primeira categoria gostaria de comprar o CD com a musica Perciana americana

: Alguen conoce esta banda??

Adoro esta banda e gostaria de comprar o CD com a musica Perciana Americana

Help me read this tab!

Hey~
I have no idea how to read these double numbers on my tab for the song dyer maker by led zepplin. Please if anyone can help me out...what kind of guitar it is for and how to read it i would appreciate it soo much. Im new at playing the guitar if you hadnt noticed.
*Alicia*

Re: Help me read this tab!

Alright i'll try this.

E------------10/12----------------7/8----------
B-------8---------------------5----------
G-----9---9-----------------5---5----------
D--10---------------------7---------------
A--------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------

E----------3/5--------------5/7-----------------
B------1----------------3---------------------
G----2---2------------4---4----------------------
D--3----------------5---------------------------
A---------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------

Hope It helps. Led Zep Rules!!

Epiphone v Gibson

Is it worth paying all that money for a Gibson LP standard when i could pay a lot less for a epiphone? I havnt playing long (maybe a year or so). Do epiphones really sound bad?

Re: Epiphone v Gibson

: I'd say for right now, a $500 Epiphone Les Paul will do you okay. The catch is, you have to look at many of them because they are inconsistent. Some are sloppily made. For right now, you can get away with $600:$500 for the guitar and $100 for a good set up/repair/fret dressing. You may want PU's too. buy a Les in two years if you're still playing. And I recommend saving for the whole hog when you do get a Gibson. Get a used Historic.

Epiphone is the little brother of Gibson.The Gibsons are made of better wood,lovely necks and the pickups are U.S.A.,made well.Epiphones are low budget axes,not as well made.So,if you want a Les Paul,you should get one!Try a few before you buy one.
Good Luck

Epiphone guitars are deliberately comprimised so as not to compete directly with Gibsons. For instance Epiphone les pauls will have an alder backs when an all mahogony chunk wouldn't have made that much difference to costs. Similarly an Epiphone Sheraton will have a maple neck instead of mahogony and some mediocre electrics. However epiphone arch tops are classic guitars in the own right that a lot of professionals will just upgrade with seymour duncan pickups.
Potentially the only difference between modern factory Korean made stuff and handmade American stuff is the price - and the badge. For instance check out Tokai.

: Is it worth paying all that money for a Gibson LP standard when i could pay a lot less for a epiphone? I havnt playing long (maybe a year or so). Do epiphones really sound bad?

ANYONE WANT TO TRADE?

i'm looking for a used BOSS GT-3 or a 8x CD-R DRIVE ,i got $6000 in pro recording software ,if u don't got one of the above cash will do.

contact me if interested or for more info, price is negotiable. "computerpizza@excite.com"

name change

thanks to the fucken lamers, i had to change my email address from computerpizza@excite.com to "computerpizza@hotmail.com" . why when i make a post to sell my BOUGHT AND PAID FOR software do these assholes call my isp? like i'm doing somthing fucking wrong, i'm sure they would'nt do it anymore if i had the time to waste KNOCKING THEIR SERVERS OFF LINE, now we know that these boards watched by ccs and other nazi like organazations who don't stop REAL pirates, but go after the little guy who bought his software and now wants to sell it for whatever reason, hell he don't need a reason hE FUCKING BOUGHT IT! i guess free speach stops here, but let me tell you give me the opportunity and we'll be in court and i'll go for you wallet, buy the way just for pissing me off i'm gona open the flood gates...... reqests anyone?

ps to everyone else sorry for the rant.

Re: name change

You are totally within your rights to sell your software that you have purchased. If I advertised some legal guitar software for sale & then suffered this grief I would instantly issue a summons for lost of time, harrassment & slander. I suggest you write to the web master.

zoom 707

well ý tried to record the created sound but when recordin everyeffects bypassed and couldn rec the drum
either
pleasely ým waiting the solution
peace...

Chet Atkins Convention

Anybody out there know the dates of the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society convention this summer in Nashville? Their web page doesn't say. Thanks.

Re: Chet Atkins Convention

Ask the guys on the Fingerpickers website http://music-city-www.com/bbs/wwwboard.html/ They'll know.

: Anybody out there know the dates of the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society convention this summer in Nashville? Their web page doesn't say. Thanks.

Has anybody tried the RP-14???

I don't know wwther to get that or the GT-3.. anybody
who know something// i'll appreciate it--
I'm more interested in the dalays... mixing at least
two at the same time...(kind of like U2's edge)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.