Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Has anybody tried the RP-14???

you want all that delay poop and a whole lot of other things to play with (80) effects, a drum machine, tuner, blah blah blah, invest in a DIGITECH RP200, for about $300 Canadian, it's gonna be less for you american ppl though, i got one myself and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

guitar mags

I have some older to new guitar mags. Guitar for the practicing
Musician, Guitar World etc.......

I thought I might have a collection someday but have been unable to
pursue building it.

Since I am moving soon I would like to give these mags away to someone
who truly would like to have them. I would hate to just throw them
away.

Unfortunately over the years some of the mags have gotten damaged but
over all they are in OK condition.

I am not asking for any money and I do not have the time to spend
shipping them. If you are in So. California and are interested in
getting these please email me at dh5150@yahoo.com

I am in the Pomona area. About 25 miles east of LA right off the 10
fwy.

Below is a list of the mags that I have. Please don't waste my time
with any requests for part of the listing. It is all or nothing.
Please don't take them all just keep what you are wanting and throw
away the rest. If you are only interested in a few, take them all and
give away what you do not want.

Guitar for the Practicing Musician

May

May
September
November (2)
December

Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
May
June
July
Aug
Sept
Dec

Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr (2)
May
Sep
Oct

Apr
Nov

Jan
Nov

July

Nov

Guitar World
jan
feb
june
july
dec

apr

nov

Guitar School
May

Mar

Dec

Guitar Player
Nov 1995

Re: guitar mags

You're generous...

: I have some older to new guitar mags. Guitar for the practicing
: Musician, Guitar World etc.......

: I thought I might have a collection someday but have been unable to
: pursue building it.

: Since I am moving soon I would like to give these mags away to someone
: who truly would like to have them. I would hate to just throw them
: away.

: Unfortunately over the years some of the mags have gotten damaged but
: over all they are in OK condition.

: I am not asking for any money and I do not have the time to spend
: shipping them. If you are in So. California and are interested in
: getting these please email me at dh5150@yahoo.com

: I am in the Pomona area. About 25 miles east of LA right off the 10
: fwy.

: Below is a list of the mags that I have. Please don't waste my time
: with any requests for part of the listing. It is all or nothing.
: Please don't take them all just keep what you are wanting and throw
: away the rest. If you are only interested in a few, take them all and
: give away what you do not want.

: Guitar for the Practicing Musician

: 1987
: May

: 1988
: September
: November (2)
: December

: 1989
: Jan
: Feb
: Mar
: Apr
: June
: July
: Aug
: Sept
: Dec

: 1990
: Feb
: Apr (2)
: Sep
: Oct

: 1991
: Apr
: Nov

: 1992

: 1993
: July

: 1995

: Guitar World
: jan
: feb
: june
: july
: dec

: 1994
: apr

: nov

: Guitar School

: 1993

: Dec

: Guitar Player
: Nov 1995

Guild Guitars

I was thinking of buying a Guild - I wanted some feedback on how you like yours/what you think is great about them. ANY information would be great.
Pelase email me . Thanks,
Karen

help the learner

i just started playing and i don't take lessons and i
would like someone to tell me how to tune my guitar
and maybe tell me some of the notes and how to play them
thankz bunches,
babycakes

Re: help the learner

hey babycakes,
you can either do it by using a piano (but who the hell actually does that??!!) you can do it by ear, if your really good, but its never accurate, or you can do what normal people do and buy a $20 or so guitar tuner, or if you have an effects peddle like my DigiTech RP200, it has a tuner built right in, but those peddles are like $300 bucks, anyway, if you have any questions or want help with anything else, you can e-mail me, or if u got ICQ, my #'s 69540464
C YA

Re: help the learner

Try our website www.songplayer.com, we have a free online guitar course. I'm sure it would help you as it shows you how to play some basic chords and chord progressions.

FIRST GIG

Hey, i have an audition for my first gig with my band comin soon. Im gettin kinda nervous, so is there anything u guys who have been gigging a lot do or did, to calm the nerves etc. before u went on. Im afraid ill crap a solo or somethin.

thanx
paul

Re: FIRST GIG

Try Jacking off in the bathroom before you start playing/... you'll feel relaxed

Yeah, practice too, but this would calm you down a little.
-Rick

: Hey, i have an audition for my first gig with my band comin soon. Im gettin kinda nervous, so is there anything u guys who have been gigging a lot do or did, to calm the nerves etc. before u went on. Im afraid ill crap a solo or somethin.

: thanx
: paul

First, you need to get lpenty of practice in. You already know that. The rest is psychological. Every time you get a few minutes between now and the audition, close your eyes and picture yourself playing better than you ever have before, getting all your licks right, with exactly the sound you want. Once you've got that image clearly in your head, just keep reminding yourself that you are the only person they could possibly pick for this gig, because no-one's going to play it better. On the day, just go in and make it real. Have fun, good luck, knock 'em dead.

1st of all don`t worry alot. Make sure U practice
and get all your parts down until they are second nature. Don`t worry about making mistakes if U do
don`t freak out the audience doesn`t usually notice things like that unless U start wigg`in and draw attention 2 it. Just keep play`in, do your personal
best and above all have fun. Best Wishes in all your
endeavors, Black Owl

Pretend you already have a thousand gigs under your belt. You are in Amsterdam, about to play some small, but sold out club for the third world tour. Nerves aren't an issue, man, you've made it! Yeah, it used to be that everything was on the line every time, but now you're only in it for the money...

: Hey, i have an audition for my first gig with my band comin soon. Im gettin kinda nervous, so is there anything u guys who have been gigging a lot do or did, to calm the nerves etc. before u went on. Im afraid ill crap a solo or somethin.

I hear ya.But stay loose,don't change your strings,use the axe that you've been working with.I'd try not to practice the night before,this will cause more tension.
One or two bad notes wont kill ya,but song structure is most important.Keep it simple,don't experiment with
new riffs or scales.But just RELAX,let the tunes flow thruogh you.
Good Luck

Here are some tips.

1. Don't get wasted or drunk before the audition
2. Try to turn up early if possible and listen in on other players. Get a feel of what's required.
3. Don't turn up late
4. Have spare strings. Be tuned up. Be ready to play.
5. Don't try to be someone you ain't.
6. Ask some intelligent questions but don't come on heavy.
7. If you want to show off your skills, be careful not to either screw up or come off looking like a poseur.
8. Don't have a hangover
9. A bit of slow deep breathing can work wonders for nerves, but realize that a little bit of nervousness is a good thing.
10. Accept the fact that you are still a guitarist, even if you are unsuccessful. You've given your best shot and, if nothing happens, learn from it. The more you enjoy, the better you will play.

Hope this helps
Geoff

Remember your in a band not soloist. Its a team. Its not all on your head. If you get nervous look at your band members and pretend you are in the basement with them. Also no need to be nervous, this may be your first but wont be your last and you will fail alot before you will be successful. Plus a warm up gig in front of frends and family may be helpful

First and Foremost, play for your own ears and your own pleasure. If you like what you hear and you are having fun, that will transmit to the audience, Be humble but not timid. Don't get drunk but have 2 beers (well this works for me to relax) Use your adrenalin rush wisely by channeling it into song structure concentration. Once you're comfy on that level use the excess adrenalin to take you up a level on your playing once you break into any solos or fills. You're following your passion man, so you are ALREADY a rock star! - don't forget that. Be sure to report back to us all on how it goes. Good Luck!
KIA KAHA!! (Be strong)

it went really well

thanx for all the advice:the audition went well (we played an encore so it was all good. the main performance is on the 22 so im gettin ready for that, but were all confident
thanx again
paul

im just about to step foot on to my bands first gig (tomoz) and i really hope it goes well im the bassist*backing singer* we are playing at our high school prom lol should be fun we have all left skool so when we go back for this gig should be really fun im kinda scared at the same time tho

hey i am about to do my first gig soon but i dont have a pa system that works the one my band was going to use doesnt work any more what should i do i have no money

string question

if I want to increase teh guage of strings I put in the guard I know i have to adjust the bridge on my guitar because the new guage is increasing the pull on the bridge...nowI know I just open up the back of the guitar and then loosen those screws that connect to the bridge from the back....but my quesiton is, is there any certain amount that I'm suppose to losen these screws?

Re: string question

in the first sentence "guard" should be "guitar"

: if I want to increase teh guage of strings I put in the guard I know i have to adjust the bridge on my guitar because the new guage is increasing the pull on the bridge...nowI know I just open up the back of the guitar and then loosen those screws that connect to the bridge from the back....but my quesiton is, is there any certain amount that I'm suppose to losen these screws?

I'm trying to picture what you're doing here and it doesn't feel right to me. Does your guitar have a trem arm? If it does then I think I see what you're saying, and as I've never really used gutars with trem arms much I couldn't advise you except to say that I don't think you need to unscrew anything. I might be mistaken, in which case I'm sure someone will say so, but I really don't think installing heavier strings means you need to be unscrewing anything. If you don't have a trem arm then you definitely don't need to be unscrewing anything inside the guitar. Theoretically, the heavier strings will change the setting of the neck and require an adjustment to the intonation, but it is theoretically. I'm quite sure it is sometimes necessary but I've not needed to on most of the guitars I've put heavier strings on. Perhaps someone with better ears than me can hear that there's a problem, but no-one's ever mentioned it. What's the guitar, does it have a trem arm and how much heavier are you going? And having gone heavier, are you dropping the tuning, because if you are - and many people do - then you're going to cancel out the increased tension anyway.

OK I think I need to better describe what I'm doing

I have a american standard strat and it's got the regular tremlo strat bridge that I guess I see on all the standard strats...anyways ok....now I used to have a set with the smallest guage being the 9 (high e string) now I put a new set of strings on which has the lowest guage of 10 (low e string)...so instead of the ernie ball slinky strings I used to have I now put a set of whatever they call it that is one whole guage set higher....now this increase will put more pressure on the bridge...resulting in the bridge popping up because the guitar bridge is not set for this new heavier set of strings....I've done this before without adjusting the bridge on another guitar..and the bridge popped up and I had to take it in...now on this guitar I don't want to screw it up like the last one and have the bridge pop up again...now I know that if you take the back cover that is on the back of the guitar off you will see the screws that are connected to the bridge...these change the bridge and I'm guessing will solve the problem of the bridge popping up....do you see more of what I'm saying now?

btw ICQ is 9913113

: OK I think I need to better describe what I'm doing

: I have a american standard strat and it's got the regular tremlo strat bridge that I guess I see on all the standard strats...anyways ok....now I used to have a set with the smallest guage being the 9 (high e string) now I put a new set of strings on which has the lowest guage of 10 (low e string)...so instead of the ernie ball slinky strings I used to have I now put a set of whatever they call it that is one whole guage set higher....now this increase will put more pressure on the bridge...resulting in the bridge popping up because the guitar bridge is not set for this new heavier set of strings....I've done this before without adjusting the bridge on another guitar..and the bridge popped up and I had to take it in...now on this guitar I don't want to screw it up like the last one and have the bridge pop up again...now I know that if you take the back cover that is on the back of the guitar off you will see the screws that are connected to the bridge...these change the bridge and I'm guessing will solve the problem of the bridge popping up....do you see more of what I'm saying now?

: btw ICQ is 9913113

Okay, I get it. I'm afraid I'm now back to the first part of my previous answer - I don't have enough experience of trem-equipped guitars to advise you, I'm afraid. What I do know is you should get a far better tone with 10s on instead of 9s, so I'd stick with them. I'm sure someone else will come back to you on how to sort the bridge. I'm sure its very simple once you know how. I think I'm about the only person in the world to have been playing for 20 years and never owned a Strat! Good luck with it, anyway, and sorry I'm not much use on this one.

Keith

You do need to get the bridge flush with the top of the guitar again. To do this you tighten the screws into the body that are attached to the spring claw. Only turn them 1/4 turn at a time. Retune your guitar...repeat if necessary.

Because you are increasing string guage you will probably need a neck adjustment with the truss rod and also a intonation adjustment. These are easy to do yourself but if you have never done it have a guitar tech show you how so you don't break your truss rod by overtightening it. Remember always make any adjustment a small amout at a time.

Hey Man,
Here's what you do. If you like a floating trem, that is, with the trem on a slight angle so you can affect the pitch up as well as down, then adjust the trem screws until you are happy with the amount of pitch bend you are getting. I think standard stuff for a strat is 1.5 pitch above standard tuning.
You get a better tone from having your trem flat though! If this applies to you, wind in the trem springs until the trem is flat against the body, being careful not to over tighten them.
www.fender.com has a tech site which will help you nut out things like neck relief, truss rod tension, string height, and scale length, all of which need fine tuning when you put on a different string gauge. Yeah, it's a mission! But it's about time you became more intimate with your instrument, if you know what I mean...

Peace.

: You do need to get the bridge flush with the top of the guitar again. To do this you tighten the screws into the body that are attached to the spring claw. Only turn them 1/4 turn at a time. Retune your guitar...repeat if necessary.

: Because you are increasing string guage you will probably need a neck adjustment with the truss rod and also a intonation adjustment. These are easy to do yourself but if you have never done it have a guitar tech show you how so you don't break your truss rod by overtightening it. Remember always make any adjustment a small amout at a time.

Telecaster control plates

Telecaster control plates

This popular thread has been given its own page : Telecaster control plates

lyrics and chords of follow your road

can i have the lyrics and chords of follow your road? can somebody email to me the chords.

THE SEALED BOOK has opened

Trust in other guitarists' experiences and open THE SEALED BOOK- The Official Michael Borchers Homepage:
http://www.michaelborchers.net

Feel free to visit the bands' page:
http://www.memoriesfading.de

you suck little dicks!!!!!

look here, BSBs r fine! I totally disagree with you.
aj is a rich, oddlooking person, but other than that your head is turn backwards.

e-mail me back asap, be nice!!!

Anyone live in Dedham Maine. Let's jam.

Hi,I'm 36 years old. I enjoy music from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and some of the 90s. I don't like rap, heavy metal or the backstreet boys. I enjoy some country, however rock in roll is my beat. I play a '77 Telecaster. I sing and I would like to write music. I'm really not too much of a lead guitarist but I can keep a rhythm. If you live around the Bangor -Brewer-Ellsworth area thats cool to. Let me know. Let's get it together.

Re: Anyone live in Dedham Maine. Let's jam.

you're friggin creepy

New Band

Check out this new band,Chemical Christ. They are *Hot* and very talented, a little different kind of music but defiantly good!! and interesting!! Check Them Out and Sign the guest book! http://www.homestead.com/ChemicalChrist/chemchrist.html

Custom legend, crack in wood,

I just bought an old Ovation custom Legend and there
are some crack through the finish into the wood, can they
be repaired?? Also is it expensive to have the electronics
fixed on these things? This guitar is a 1986 1619.
Thanks,
nancy

Re: Custom legend, crack in wood,

Take it to a pro shop. You may just have laquer checking (cosmetic only, gives it character) If it is a crack, it can be repaired, but it won't look like new again. Not sure about the electronics, depends on whats wrong, might just be a loose wire. have the shop look it over. Ask around about a good guitar shop in your area.

Virtual Amp

Hi. I just bought a new electric guitar and can't afford the amp yet. Is there any software out there that lets you plug your guitar into your computer and play through your PC Speakers. Preferably Free. Thanks.

Re: Virtual Amp

Line 6 makes Ampfarm... not free though. There are others...not free either.

You might be able to run your guitar thru a fuzz box, then thru a direct box or mixer, and then into your computer. I haven't done this. Probably wont work.

I know they make little boxes that you could plug in and play through your stereo. This would work for your computer but again this is not free...

My advice: save $ for an amp. :)

: Hi. I just bought a new electric guitar and can't afford the amp yet. Is there any software out there that lets you plug your guitar into your computer and play through your PC Speakers. Preferably Free. Thanks.

I guess you want to get Amp sound through your PC speakers...
well i do not have much experience about software amp sims..
what I tried so far (software effects mainly) had a bad lag making it impossible to do decent work..
my suggestion is that you get a 2nd hand good enough guitar effector with amp sim like Zoom 505 II ( not just 505 ..it won't do)and go to your sound card line in..
In addition to good sim of mesa,marshall and peavey you get lots of effects ....
best would be a POD..but it is expensive...
Or..simply plug your guitar straight into the mic input of sound card...( careful with volume settings) and just play like that..
hope it helped...
cheers
scorpyo

: Hi. I just bought a new electric guitar and can't afford the amp yet. Is there any software out there that lets you plug your guitar into your computer and play through your PC Speakers. Preferably Free. Thanks.

Check this out. If you go to http://dial.to/guitar-fxbox, there's a program there that's shareware. It says you can only use it for 30 days, but you can actually use it longer. It does amplification and effects. You can even output files to WAV format.

"Time" Guitars

I'm just picking up the guitar again after a 14 year break. I was wondering if anyone out there had ever heard of a guitar company called "Time" I used to have one of their guitars (handmade in Vermont I think) and it was awesome. I guess they went out of business.

Re: "Time" Guitars

Yes, Time Guitars did go out of business. Trey Anastasio, the guitar player for Phish, plays a
custom-made Hollowbody Time guitar. The look and sound of the guitar are incredible.

: Yes, Time Guitars did go out of business. Trey Anastasio, the guitar player for Phish, plays a
: custom-made Hollowbody Time guitar. The look and sound of the guitar are incredible.

Actually, Trey Anastasio does not play a Time Guitar. At one time he did infact play a Time Guitar, built by then Time Guitar employee Paul Languedoc. But the guitars he currently plays are Paul Languedoc custom instruments. Paul Languedoc is also the sound engineer for Trey's band Phish.

Yeah. I believe Paul Languedoc, sound man and guitar builder for Phish used to work for Time.

Re:

: I'm just picking up the guitar again after a 14 year break. I was wondering if anyone out there had ever heard of a guitar company called "Time" I used to have one of their guitars (handmade in Vermont I think) and it was awesome. I guess they went out of business.

Yeah Trey Anastasio of Phish plays a time guitar and they did go out of business. But there is still the custom designer Paul Langeudoc who is a phish "member". He is the only one who still makes Time guitars, and if you can get one they are amazing. I have one myself and i'd never sell it. It's in mint condition.
There is a shop in toronto canada called "songbird" which has 1 or 2 time guitars but that's all i know.

: I'm just picking up the guitar again after a 14 year break. I was wondering if anyone out there had ever heard of a guitar company called "Time" I used to have one of their guitars (handmade in Vermont I think) and it was awesome. I guess they went out of business.

Hey all: I am from Vermont and actually have an old Left-handed Time Guitar that I still play daily. I have had a little work done on it, (normal stuff) and I absolutely love it. I would love to hear from some more people who also have one of these guitars.
Andy Devine

I've had the pleasure of owning at least twelve of these "Time" guitars. The company went out of business in the late 80's after several ownership changes. They made 364 guitars, total output. Alan Stack was the creater and original guitar maker. If you look hard enough, you might be able to locate one of these fine, handmade instruments. VT, NH, upstate NY are the best places to look. If you find one let me know! I still want as many "GS series" models as I can find. Happy hunting!

I'm still looking for one of these. I'd like a Time "Blizzard" (I think thats what it was called). Anyone know where to find one??!!

Scratchplate

I have an Ibanez RG270. I tends to put on an original mirrored scratchplate on to it. Can anyone tell me where to get one? Approx. how much would it cost?Any website I can order?

Re: Scratchplate

Here's a website I know of. There could be others, but this one does custom work:

http://www.wdmusicproducts.com/Pickguards.htm

On average a basic pickguard goes for $45+. You may want to contact Ibanez too thru their website. They may be able to help too.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.