Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Scratchplate

hi im searching for an invisible scratch plate to fit my takamine. if anyone can tell me what website i can search for one one thatll be great. cheers flou

Acoustic guitar pickup.

I am thinking of placing a pickup on a Washburn classical guitar. I am wondering what my best options are, a Fishman SBTC o r Dean Markley Tranducers?

Re: Acoustic guitar pickup.

I use a D. Markley Trans. The sound is good, but it has a tendency to feedback if you are too close to your amp on higher volumes. Also, it will leave a residue on the bridge. You just need to clean it off after using.Price is right. Have not tried a fishman.
Good luck.

NOISY MARSHALL AMP

I have a marshall 1962 JTM45 combo replica, and as soon as I turn it on it begins making lot's of noise. Any suggests on how to fix this problem?

Re: NOISY MARSHALL AMP

maybe pots? maybe tubes? bad wire? give more info ,shake it maybe?

I JUST BOUGHT A FAKE STRAT!!!

YEA I BET THAT GOT YOUR ATTENTION!

looking to trade or sell my studio software package (worth $6000) ,to much to list here, for a boss gt-3 or a good 8x cd-r drive ,maybe cash?

"computerpizza@hotmail.com"

Re: I JUST BOUGHT A FAKE STRAT!!!

: YEA I BET THAT GOT YOUR ATTENTION!

: looking to trade or sell my studio software package (worth $6000) ,to much to list here, for a boss gt-3 or a good 8x cd-r drive ,maybe cash?

: "computerpizza@hotmail.com"

wanna buy a couple more?

I have the Let it be solo tab

If anyone wants the tab to the solo I have just worked it out for a student. Post your e-mail and I'll mail yer.

Re: I have the Let it be solo tab

:
: If anyone wants the tab to the solo I have just worked it out for a student. Post your e-mail and I'll mail yer.

: : i would like that one cheers dude
: : If anyone wants the tab to the solo I have just worked it out for a student. Post your e-mail and I'll mail yer.

: :
: : If anyone wants the tab to the solo I have just worked it out for a student. Post your e-mail and I'll mail yer.

: : :
: : : If anyone wants the tab to the solo of let it be I have just worked it out for a student. Post your e-mail and I'll mail yer.

could ya send it to me plz?
tHe_sHiNg@web.de
THX Tali>

yes please, i would be most grateful.

yes please, i would be most grateful.

I need the let it be solo tab

I need the let it be solo tab

Hey, could you please send me the solo ASAP. I've been looking all over for it and my band has been begging me to learn it. Thank you very much!!!!!!!

e-mail:parkersmith86@yahoo.com

Can you email me the entire tab .

Please, send it to me, the "Let it be" Solo TAB

Many thanks

please do
yak

i've been looking for the tab a long time, can you send it to me?
Thanks

Hi,
I woud like to get the Let it be solo.
Thanx, Frank

:
: If anyone wants the tab to the solo I have just worked it out for a student. Post your e-mail and I'll mail yer.

: Please email me the Let It Be solo tab!!!

: Please send me this, thanks

i play the bass - would i be able to play it?

could you send me the bass version?

David gilmores sound.

What kind of pedal should I buy to get his sound. Is it a delay pedal. I really enjoy the tunes off of "The Wall" cd.

Re: David gilmores sound.

He uses a lot of shit: Compressors, Digital Delays, the main thing
that makes his guitar sound like that is a Bass Preamp, also the EMG
pickups. Ibanez Tube Screamer is a good distortion you could use too(and if
you combine it with a tube amp's distortion you can get a bad ass sound)
Reverbs--- I get a close sound somtimes with The Tube Screamer and a compressor.

Don't be fooled by an album.Mixing and master mixing can do magic to a person's sound!I think he's using a
Stratocastor(neck pickup),very little overdrive,a really nice COMPRESSOR,and a little reverb.I love that solo!
Good Luck

o>k #1 IF YOU WANT HIS SOUND , FORGET IT BUD IT'S ALL IN HIS OWN GEAR , BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU CAN GET CLOSE WITH A LINE UP AS SUCH !1-REVERB AT 7, 2- DELAY (you figure out the milli/secs 3- OVERDRIVE AT 8 4- E.Q BASS ENDS AT 8 -MIDS AT MID-AND TREBLES AT 4- WHA WHA AT MID POSITION. TRY THAT AND YOU'LL BE CLOSE , VERY CLOSE AND DONT BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT WITH THE DELAY.

o>k #1 IF YOU WANT HIS SOUND , FORGET IT BUD IT'S ALL IN HIS OWN GEAR , BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU CAN GET CLOSE WITH A LINE UP AS SUCH !1-REVERB AT 7, 2- DELAY (you figure out the milli/secs 3- OVERDRIVE AT 8 4- E.Q BASS ENDS AT 8 -MIDS AT MID-AND TREBLES AT 4- WHA WHA AT MID POSITION. TRY THAT AND YOU'LL BE CLOSE , VERY CLOSE AND DONT BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT WITH THE DELAY.

wah wah song

Does anyone know if and where i can download Wah Wah song by led zeppelin? Ive heard it was both recorded, and not.

Gretsch purchase

I am trading a lefty 95 Les Paul Standard and $900.00 cash for a new lefty Gretsch 6120, anybody know much about these reissue guitars? I can pay $200.00 more and get a 6120-60 which I believe to be a more accurate reproduction. How is the craftmanship,playability, dependability, tunability (bigsby)I would certainly like to get some feedback from either owners or ex-owners.

Re: Gretsch purchase

: I recently bought a 1999 Gretsch Keith Scott which is like the Liberace version of the 6120. I have mixed feelings about the guitar. It's beautiful and plays well, but it doesn't feel like an old Gretsch. It's heavier. While they have nailed the look of the old models, I feel the guitars still suffer some of the Baldwin influence(Baldwin owned Gretsch in the 70's and was known more for making pianos and organs, they alos snuffed out the original cool of the company, IMO).Heavy, finishes. However, old Gretsches often suffer from binding rot and crappy electronics(remember they were mass produced with workers undoubtedly being paid extra for more pieces).
I have taken the attitude that my guitar is a new guitar. It looks old, but is not a super accurate repro. On it's own it is a great guitar. You sound as if you want a repro though....
A vintage lefty will be pricey, if you find one.
I'd recommend playing the guitar extensively if possible. Decide for yourself. Hope this helps a little.
PS: I understand that in 2000 the Gretsch corp was reorganized slightly to improve quality and customer service. Check gretschpages to get more ideas.

Gretsch quality was very inconsistent - maybe better now, made by Terada in Japan.
(Actually a Terada copy of the Gretsch with the Gretsch name on the headstock.
The original Filter-rons look the same but now have ceramic magnets. The originals
were made with Alnico - far superior and much more expensive. T. V. Jones makes
a proper FilterTron style pickup... at $120 a pop)

After the Beatles hit the states in 1964, the Gretsch factory in Brooklyn was swamped
with orders and the quality fell oomewhat. Then in the 70's Baldwin all but sabotaged
the company, similar to what CBS did to Fender.

The Gretsch golden years were the mid 50's to 1963.

Still, many of those guitars have necks which need resetting. The original truss rods
were not very well anchored and chewed into the wood in the neck. I got a great deal
on a 1963 Double Anniversary with FilterTrons (old but not original). The neck was shot
but a good repair shop in NY, for a mere $300, did a beautiful job on this guitar and
now it plays and sounds like a dream.

I played some of the new ones on 48th Street. No comparison. Not even close - in sound,
feel, or weight, though they look the same as the originals.

__________ Marc

Check the Gruhn site - There's a halfway
decent looking lefty Gretsch Country Gentleman.
Find # EG2842.

That one's the real deal from Brooklyn, NY
from the year after the Dodgers skipped town.

The F holes are fakes though. (I personally
prefer real F-holes, not painted ones...
on guitars and women.)

_______________ Marc

Are Loops & Samples useful to you?

Hi, I'm new to the board. I've been playing around with Acid Pro, and finding all these cool samples on the web to experiment with. I've come up with some cool things. My question is: has anyone else had good results with similar techniques and/or Acid? Any advice?

Thanks!
Donnie

metallica solo

how do i get that kirk hammet metallica solo sound?

brand new presonus DIGIMAX mic preamp 8 channel digital outs

email me for details...probably will let go for 1100.00 including shipping...thanks

Laney amp

I've been offered a GC80A guitar amp for £150 is this a deal. I want to use one channel for a mike?

Re: Laney amp

£150 is way too much for a GC80A : I got a GC120C for a mere £140 . anyways , a mike can not be plugged in while you've got a guitar plugged in so keep on lookin'

strat machine heads

can any-one suggest a suitable replacement for Strat machine heads with those hideous vertical holes for the strings? I play out one piece and if I break a string it is a night-mare trying to change a string quickly!I have changed the string holes on the backplate into a slot using a coping saw and a file, and I put a piece of string through the rivet on each string so I can pull them out of the moving bridge block to facilitate quick changes, but I still find the hole in the machine head is the slowest point. (I could go back to a Tele, the sound of which I really love, but I'm crazy about the sound of my Strat too!)

Re: strat machine heads

First of all, get yourself a backup guitar so when this happens you have something to fall back on.

I recommend Spretzel Locking Tuners. You don't have to bother with looping the string around the post. Just slide the string thru the hole. Tighten the lock on the back of the tuner. Tune to pitch. That's it!

Real quick and easy!

Re: strat machine heads

: First of all, get yourself a backup guitar so when this happens you have something to fall back on.

: I recommend Spretzel Locking Tuners. You don't have to bother with looping the string around the post. Just slide the string thru the hole. Tighten the lock on the back of the tuner. Tune to pitch. That's it!

: Real quick and easy!

thanks Im2, I already carry a heap of gear when I go out, so I dont want to lug more than absolutely necessary, but it does sound sensible doesn't it? I like the sound of spretzel though! thanks again.Al.

How many pedals are out there , in general. Are BOSS good pedals.

How many kinds of pedals are out there? Example: Delay, WA WA, Distortion. Are there more?

Re: How many pedals are out there , in general. Are BOSS good pedals.

There are lots of pedals - distortion, chorus, flange, reverb, delay, wah, compression, too many to list.

BOSS makes good stuff. I used to use DOD products and I was happy with them. Boss are a little pricey, but they have more features than some others. My advice is find out what you want and try out each brand side by side if possible to see what YOU like.

Boss makes decently quality stuff. I find their chorus, and reverbs(etc) are of good quality. I used to use an mt-2 metalzone, but my musical taste has done a 180 since then. Generally, they make ok metal distrotion, but their overdrives are kinda lousy (just a/b an od-3 or bd-2 with and ibanez ts-5). As pedals go they are made pretty strong and prices are ok. They aren't cheap petals like dod, but they are not expensive when you consider the price of some boutique overdrives($200+). However, my one boss product is the gt-3 multieffects, in the effects loop for good time-based effects and eq.

: There are 1000's! Boss pedals are good starting points. They have just about very flavor of noise you could want. You'll find that Boss pedals are a bit sterile sounding. Other, slightly more expensive pedals(Electro Harmonix is a good one) have a more funky and unique sound. It's up to you though. Just try 'em with your guitar and amp so you know what they will sound like at home.

: How many kinds of pedals are out there? Example: Delay, WA WA, Distortion. Are there more?

I'm about to buy the BOSS vf-1 which is around 400 and is a multi effects processor. The reason I'm confident spending so much money is because of my experience with the BOSS metal zone distortion pedal. If your looking for a good distortion you won't be able to get a better distortion than the BOSS metalzone.

1940 gibson ES-300 pickup !!!!! HELP !!!!!

1940 gibson ES-300 pickup !!!!! HELP !!!!!

This popular thread has been given its own page : 1940 gibson ES-300 pickup !!!!! HELP !!!!!

single coil or humbucker

I'm looking for a new guitar, and I mainly play new school punk music(offspring, blink 182, greenday). I was wondering if a humbucker or single coil would be better for punk. Which is better for bright sounding distortion/overdrive?

Re: single coil or humbucker

if you want your more "bright sounding" music, stick with a single coil pickup arrangment of some kind. I have two guitars, and one has the humbuckers for the deep, distorted sound. i use the other with the single coiled pickups for the brighter cleaner sounding stuff.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.