Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

resonance theory

I was thinking about this the other day- do you think that everything has a resonant frequency? This is probably physics 101, but I have noticed that my Classic 20 seems to get a lot louder when I crank up the mids, even with the bass and treble rolled off completely. It sounds amazing, really cuts through the mix, especially when I crank the mids. I think this has to do with things like cabinet design, speaker design, etc. Do you think guitar amps should have a flat response? I don't think so, my amp has so much more character than other, bigger amps I have tried. I think it has to do with it's particular resonance, what do you think?

Re: resonance theory

depending on what ur playing, especially on guitar, the most common freq's are in the mids. its the nature of guitar. and the human ear also hears midrangy stuff better than other frequency's so that would explain it. ur cab may well have a very nice resonating freq tho, which is good. and yes, i'm pretty sure everything has some resonance frequency, i think humans are around 9 or 7 herts. thats way below human hearing, which is 20-20,000.

: )

hammer slammer series

Anyone who have experiences with theese guitars?

Re: hammer slammer series

I have not owned a Hammer Slammer, but I know the history of the Hamer company. The Slammers are the low-end Korean guitars that Kahman imports under the Hamer brand name. If you're looking to buy a Hamer I strongly sugguest that you buy an American made one, the Koreans are usually plywood and with very cheap electronics.

: Anyone who have experiences with theese guitars?

Slammers are OK if you want a well built cheap starter. Some of them are better than others. As for them being plywood, I'm not sure I agree. The Archtop model is mahogany with a sick flametop for the money. The pickups will be weaker than you will probably want. Do not buy one if you plan to sink $ into better electronics. Just put it towards a USA model. They are a good value new and a steal used if you can find any. Hamer is so backed up now, finding a new one is hard. I own 4 USA models: Californian, Daytona, Diablo and Studio. I won't play anything else. You can't compare for the $$.

: I have not owned a Hammer Slammer, but I know the history of the Hamer company. The Slammers are the low-end Korean guitars that Kahman imports under the Hamer brand name. If you're looking to buy a Hamer I strongly sugguest that you buy an American made one, the Koreans are usually plywood and with very cheap electronics.

: : Anyone who have experiences with theese guitars?

i bought one for my 8 year old son and it didn't last for 2 weeks before it stoped working.I opened it up and the electronics suck whoever built the guitar sucked i suggeust,do not buy one they ripped me off
300$ from me.Now my son doesn't have a guitar because somebody is to lazy to take the time to make a guitar right.

: Yes, i have a sweet balck and white one

: : Yes, i have a sweet black and white one

i had to live with one until i got a job and was able to afford a real guitar, but they are good for beginners.

PlainTalk - The Truly Totally Different Guitar Instruction Video

Phew!! I've been working on it now for 6 months. I must have put 1000 hours into the editing, but I couldn't be more pleased with the results. A video that would have cost tens of thousands in man hours just a few years ago, I was able to do on my own computer. It's an hour long, and it demonstrates in no uncertain fashion THE TRICK which I describe in my book PlaneTalk, the key to tracking all things musical on the fretboard.

Check it out at http://www.lorange.kirk.net

All the best,

K i r k

Black 335

Does anyone know if the Black 335 pictured in Ralph Denyer's guitar handbook is available. Not the current edition of the book. It's on the inside front cover.

Re: Black 335

FUCK OFF U PRATT

Go to Gibsons web site at www.gibson.com click on "support" and you can e-mail Gibson for the info you're looking for.

Thanks mate, already tried that - no luck. Rang Rosetti today spoke to Teresa ( very helpful ) but although she had a copy of the book she could not ID it. Apparently the bridge is a very old design! The guitar was loaned for the photo in 1982 ? by Rosetti it says so on the back cover of the book.

Sigma Guitars

I have an older Sigma Guitar that was given to me and I am just learning how to play. I would like some history on my guitar from anyone that may know anything about Model Number DM-5S. Please let me know if you have heard about this make or model. Thanks

Steve

Re: Sigma Guitars

Not sure about the model # , but the guitar is made by C.F. Martin as a lower end guitar to their american series. Martin does have a web site, you may be able to check for more info there. (Don't know the exact web address)

I got a Sigma SG-9 acustic (1982 model) along with som other "better" guitars like Ovation Coll 1991 and a Gibson J200 - got to tell you one thing: when it comes to the acoustic sound and joy of playing i prefere the Sigma - getting better all the time (belive it)!

I too have a Sigma guitar. It was bought for me by my old guitar teacher about seventeen years ago. Since then it has grown more and more wonderful every day. The sound now is absolutely glorious. All I know about Sigma is that Martin were making them in Asia (japan maybe?)as cheap guitars like their own Martins. BUT they stopped making them because they were too good and sounded and matured better than their expensive guitars. I believe this since mine is truly a beautiful instrument. Treat yours well, be good to it and I am sure ti will return all your favours a thousand fold.
Tony

I just bought a Sigma DM1-STCE "DREADNOUGHT" and I could not be more pleased. I have played a lot of guitars in my life, I own several and have access to many---I will say this--This product of the Martin Co. really lives up to the Martin Reputation. This has to be the most beautifully voiced guitar I ever played--I knew I had to have this as soon as I picked it up in the store. I even traded my CORT STRAT for it!!! No contest!! The pickup (this is a hybrid guitar) is by far superior to anything I ever heard, and as a straight accoustic, it ROCKS!!

AL - Ottawa Canada

: I have an older Sigma Guitar that was given to me and I am just learning how to play. I would like some history on my guitar from anyone that may know anything about Model Number DM-5S. Please let me know if you have heard about this make or model. Thanks

: Steve

ADMIRA Avila guitar

Who has an ADMIRA Avila classical guitar? Do you consider it a good buy?

Re: ADMIRA Avila guitar

fuck off you wonky faced slinty eyed bastrard

Help Me With this New Jackson!

I just got a Jackson with the Floyd Rose locking tremolo and im lost. This is my first guitar and Im just not sure what everything does. In particular, the locking system at the top of the neck that holds the strings down. Should that be unscrewed a little or what?!

Re: Help Me With this New Jackson!

No, those locks are there to keep the strings from slipping out of tune when using the whammy. Keep it tight (but not too tight), you don't want to crimp the strings. So you can HEAR how it works, loosen them and use the whammy bar, then strum a chord. You'll hear how out of tune it is. Now, retune it and tighten the locks, use the whammy and then strum a chord. If everything is set-up right it will still be in tune. I hope this helps.

good name,but who cares.i bet its crap just like you

Just too many young bitches on this board. Get a fuckin life Lovelace...

why buy a guitar if you are crap richboy

heres another tuning tip, all the guitars i own have double locking floyd rose brindges and heres something i found to be important, 1. always tune your guitar several times and be patient. because it's a floyd rose every time you finish tuning the 6 or 7th string (depending on what u got) chances are the first will be out of tune. so do it about 4-6 times to get a perfect tune. also, make sure you tune it a little flat as when you tighten the locks on the neck the tension on the strings increase raising their pitch throwing off your tuning, so tune a bit flat, tighten, and then finish adjusting it at the bridge.
hope this helps you out...

rocpro1000

how is the rocpro 1000 combo?

Re: rocpro1000

:Great bedroom amp. The distortion is a bit shrill.
The whole amp is trebly but it is light and loud. Use a Big Muff and you're gonna be happy.
My buddy mikes his up and uses it live. not bad at all.

Other discussion forums

Are there any other similar forums that are either
moderated or peopled by mature individuals?

Buying Guitars: for starters

I have been playing acoustic guitar for 6 years and now I want to buy my first electric. Problem is I don't know anything about electric guitars and I can't find any "electric guitar buying for dummies".
I want to learn what to get and how. I am looking for a guitar that will be good for what I play. I am mostly blues oriented but I am a jazz guitar begginer student so I would need something for that sound as well.
Any ideas? what's a good way to learn about guitars?

Re: Buying Guitars: for starters

Stop talking crap. If you can play, you can play - if you can't (obviously like YOU), you are crap

Re: Buying Guitars: for starters

One thing I would do is go play some electrics in your local music stores. Talk to some of the employees there it is their job to help you find what you need. Tell them the price range you want to spend and the style of music you play. They should point you in the right direction.

Most of all just play everything you think you might like. I would start playing a strat by Fender. The Mexican ones are not that bad and tons cheaper than the Americans are. Squire strats aren’t bad but you have to play them before you buy. You might look into some simi-hollow body electrics.

guitar

I am shoping for a guitar

1959 les paul

Does anybody know where I could buy a 59 Les Paul guitar from in Australia.

Re: 1959 les paul

Vintage Guitar Magazine will have a wealth of '59 Pauls from varoius dealers. Check their website to see how you can get the current issue in Austraila. Also check Ebay, there are millions of guitars on there.

: Does anybody know where I could buy a 59 Les Paul guitar from in Australia.

Identify this

Can anyone help me identify this guitar? Guild Star-
fire, not sure if it is a 1,2,3,or 4. Electric,double
cutaway-Blond, all tiger stripe maple body,with 22frets,with block inlay fret board.The fret board is
either black ebony or rosewood.Chesterfield emblem in
peg head, 2 humbucker pickups, 2 vol. & 2 tone knobs,
1 master vol. control, +1, 3way toggle switch, harp
shaped tail piece. All hardware is chorme. Mint con-
dition. Can you tell me the year of manufacture,and
an approximate value? I've owned this guitar for
approximately 5 years, and purchased it used. All
information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, pennydigger

Re: Identify this

: Can anyone help me identify this guitar? Guild Star-
: fire, not sure if it is a 1,2,3,or 4. Electric,double
: cutaway-Blond, all tiger stripe maple body,with 22frets,with block inlay fret board.The fret board is
: either black ebony or rosewood.Chesterfield emblem in
: peg head, 2 humbucker pickups, 2 vol. & 2 tone knobs,
: 1 master vol. control, +1, 3way toggle switch, harp
: shaped tail piece. All hardware is chorme. Mint con-
: dition. Can you tell me the year of manufacture,and
: an approximate value? I've owned this guitar for
: approximately 5 years, and purchased it used. All
: information will be greatly appreciated.
: Thanks, pennydigger

: What you have my friend is a Starfire 5. My dad bought me 1 in '71. Mine was trans green. EXCELLENT guitar,weak P/U's comparred to Gibson. Mine came up with a twisted neck shortly after I got it. They WOULDN'T /couldn't fix it. I sold it for $200 and got a '61 345. As for value,that's hard to say. I haven't seen ANY since the early '70's. If you want to sell it,email me. I might be interested for nastalgic reasons.

Re: Identify this

: Who cares, it sounds CRAP anyway
:Get a life boobless

Laney LC-15 Schematic

Hi, there!

I still lookin´ for the Laney LC15 schematics!
If anybody know where to get it on the web please E-Mail me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much!

Ensenada Guitars

I have a Ensenada acoustic 1972 I think. It was sort of a hand me down
and I would like to find out more about the manufacturer. Does anyone
have any leads ? It sounds OK although difficult to tune. Thanks.

help

pls help me to get faster playing shred esp.
my picking
thanks

Re: help

Is that a girls name? Whatever. Play with yourself more and build up your stamena. I don't need to cos I'm that good anyway and I have hundreds of girls wanting to do that for me anyway.

tabs?

i have tons of tabs i can copy for u

Re: tabs?

TABS? What crap

Kramer USA V guitars

I have two USA Kramer "V" guitars for sale: a 1984 and a 1986. If interested check Ebay Item #1402388355 and Item #1402520593.

what is happening to this site???

the quality of this site is seriously deteriorating quickly. people do not come here to read about who bobby the nobby wants to shag, we come here to talk guitars. this is why it has a title of "guitar discussion", in case you haven't noticed. of course a sence of humour does well, but i can't see how dick sizes and all this other crap pertains to guitars. perhalps i've missed something....

Re: what is happening to this site???

why hello again booby the n..oh my gosh?! did i spell that wrong? my sincere apologies goes out to you. well pimple boy, i'm sure you'd love to shag me, but the truth is hon, and you know it, that you’re not even past puberty. this is what you lead us all to believe at least. the truth is, boob, that even if i plucked every single pube from your body, which i'm sure you would just love as well, and tied them all together, your scraggly little hairs wouldn't be long enough to restring even one of my guitar's strings. IS THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE CRAP? take care.

: why hello again booby the n..oh my gosh?! did i spell that wrong? my sincere apologies goes out to you. well pimple boy, i'm sure you'd love to shag me, but the truth is hon, and you know it, that you’re not even past puberty. this is what you lead us all to believe at least. the truth is, boob, that even if i plucked every single pube from your body, which i'm sure you would just love as well, and tied them all together, your scraggly little hairs wouldn't be long enough to restring even one of my guitar's strings. IS THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE CRAP? take care.
: Amanda,I love you,and the song!

FAT SWEATY SLUT I BET YOUR UNCLE PORKS YOU ,YOU MINGER

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.