Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

AS80R problems

Have problem with HUM from Stereo line outputs. Seems to occur when I use the stereo effects return jacks. Anybody else had this problem? What did you do?

Re: AS80R problems

I don't have one of these amps (yet). I saw an ad for a used one ($400.00) in the paper this morning. While researching the amp, I found another post in a different archive on this site.

http://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/15824.shtml

The configuration of this amp seems perfect for what I want to do, but am having second thoughts. Do you still think this is a decent amp?

Thanks, ("another Wes"

: Have problem with HUM from Stereo line outputs. Seems to occur when I use the stereo effects return jacks. Anybody else had this problem? What did you do?

old flattop ensenada appraisil

I have an old old Ensenada flat top, plays good looks bad, not busted up,just old and rustic. Would like to have an apprasial

amp craped out during a gig

What i want to know is what could cause this. it is a crate 212 solid state with a metal zone, first there were a couple of volume die offs (happened in practice to) and then when we gigged at higher volume 7-8, the amp pops and craps out. the foot switch was also connected wrong-distortion selector didnt work, and hte metal zone had an adaptor and batteries. PLEASE HELP SO IT DOESNT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Jackson guitar, what model?

I'm trying to find out what model of Jackson I have to find out how much to sell it for, but can't find it on Jackson's website or in the "Blue Book of Electric Guitars". It was purchased in '93, is deep metallic blue, Strat style body, 22 frets, white dot inlays, 2 humbuckers, 1 single in the middle, Floyd Rose trem wiht black hardware. It is Japanese made and has "Jackson Professional" on the headstock. Any ideas??

Re: Jackson guitar, what model?

Hi,

The professional series was made as Japaneese production copies of American models. They discontinued them cause they were less pricey, but similar quality to the US stuff and people bought them instead of they more expensive USA Jackson. They are excellent guitars and demand a bit more than other Asain Jacksons.(Like the current production PS models.)
As for which model it is I would say it is a Stealth. It came in deep metallic blue. It usually had the sc, sc, humbucker pickup config, but a few had 2 hums with a sc in the middle. Are the dot inlays ofset or in the middle of the fretboard? What type of wood is the fretboard?
I have seen these go for as much as $600 in near mint condition.

Check out some of these Jackson/Charvel web sites. These guys know quite a bit about Jacksons and have allot of info on their sites.

www.jacksoncharvelworld.com
www.charveljacksonguitars.com
www.charveljacksonclassics.com
www.vintagecharveljackson.com
www.jacksonmuseam.com

Hope this helps!!

Jj

: Hi,

:its not the professinal series its the performer series the fret board on my ps4 is rosewood and the inlays are off set toward the top go to harmonycentral.com for info on the performer series

i am also suffering from the curse of not knowing what my guitar is. It is a Jackson Superstrat (i think) with the offset flying V style body. It is very dark transparent green with rosewood fret and maple neck. The headstock is black and so is the hardware. It has two twin coil Jackson branded humbuckers and says Jackson Performer on the head. I think it is a 1993 model, and the number on the plate that connects the neck to the body is 9605126. Any help would be appreciated. cheers.

I have a jackson thats a blue green burst with 2 humbuckers that reads Jackson professional on the headstock and have no idea what model it is

Music

I've got a JCM900 that sounds thin & gutless. Is it true that the JCM800 is the fat & gutsy one ?

Re: Music

I would see if there can be any modifications done to the amp.If it's too expensive,then I'd look into the JCM 800.But it's true,the 800's lotsa balls.
Good Luck

Re: Music

: What guitar and pickups are you using? Maybe they are the thin ones.

Marshall amps

I've got a JCM900 that sounds thin & gutless. Is it true that the JCM800 is the fat & gutsy one ?

I need Some Help

I have just started playing guitar and i need some body to help me learn a couple of the basics if you would like to help me please leave a response
thank you
ben

Re: I need Some Help

I am guitar player over 15 years from Serbia, Yugoslavia and I think that I can help you to grow up in the Best guitarist in the world.
Of course, for free but, for your good result you must answer on question below:
"Are you able to play guitar over 6 hours in one day, 7 days in week, and more and more and more?"

Best regards,
Rade Culic, Serbia, YU

: Hey, don't let this serbian get to you. Millions of people all over the world play guitar for the pure enjoyment of it. Spend as much time as you have to devote. Pick up your guitar and hold it while watching tv or whatever. After a while it just feels good and feels like it belongs in your arms. Also many people have "natural" talent and don't take 6 hours a day, seven days a week and 15 years to play guitar like some yugoslavians.

: Get a book. Learn chords and songs. More chords and more songs. Then more songs/tunes. All the while learning scales and barr chords. Learning songs builds your chops, repatoire (sic) while keeping the learning interesting. Learning songs sets goals for learing chords, rythems and gives you closure to a task. A sense of accomplishment. Learn songs.

I need hlep finding rythem notes to rock songs

I want to learn how to play drums or the keyboard and i need advice where i can get the rythem for drums, guitars, and the keyboards at. Thanks

check it

Everyone definitely needs to check out Doyle Bramhall II. I caught him on tour with Eric Clapton, and he's just totally amazing. You can download this song "Green Light Girl," on his website www.dbramhall.com it totally rocks. check it out! lates

Hilgen Troubadour amplifier

Does anyone have any info re: schematics, tremolo foot switch and fuse/fuse cover specs for a Hilgen Troubadour Model T-1506? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anybody like John Cipollina?

Does anybody like John Cipollina?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Does anybody like John Cipollina?

ZOOM Displays '9000'

When I turn my ZOOM 9000 on, it only displays '9000'
I have been using it for a long time, and this is the firsst time it happens.
Does anyone knows how to fix this problem? email me please

can you plug a multi effects box into a combo guitar amp?

can you plug a multi effects box into a combo guitar amp? i was looking at buying one but i dont want to get one if i cant hear my self.

help me with this one.

I've been playing guitar for about one year and 3 months. Lately I've been jamming on songs like Paranoid by Black Sabbath, and Walk This Way by Aerosmith.I try to play the solos note for note from the album. When I'm soloing am I developing a Joe Perry style and Tony Iommi style of soloing by learning the solos note for note. I think by playing note for note it will have an adverse effect on my soloing style.Know what I'm saying?What should I do?continue learning note for note on the solos or should i somehow learn to play my own patterns???

Re: help me with this one.

i dont have the patience to do that. id rather turn up the overdrive and improvise with power chords

Just do an pentatonic on it and see it`s quite the same, then give some feel to it and you`ll see, sometimes your own solo is even better

If you like these solos and want to learn them,then that's cool!! Nobody learns in a vaccum. We are all influenced by our guitar heros,anyone who says they'er not is lying! So,instead of worrying,tape some chord progressions and solo to them.While you're doing this,
throw in some Iommi and Perry licks.You can also create
variations of these riffs and make them your own.My point is,develope your style on your own and use what you've learned from those guys!This is how we do it.
Good Luck

: Good stuff, but fear not. Learn them note for note. Your style will be reflected in your tone, vibrato, timbre, etc. Your individual style will truely come out in your song writing and song selection.

closed tuning keys to put on a dobro

Looking for a music distributer who sells closed tuning keys that will fit a dobro.

Re: closed tuning keys to put on a dobro

Try Allparts in Katy,Texas (www.allparts.com). I get mine from their UK agent - they have other agents in other parts of the world.
Peter (www.petewoodman.strayduck.com)

Lyle 12 string acoustic

Lyle 12 string acoustic

This popular thread has been given its own page : Lyle 12 string acoustic

Drum Machines

I was wondering if anyone had some opinions on drum machines. What are the best ones, and how much do they cost? I am writing instrumentals, and that is why I would need one.

I appreciate any information you can give me.

jas

Good stores in Atlanta

Anyone else here live in or near Atlanta? I'm wondering because I am new to the area, and I am wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to take my amp to get new tubes put in.

Re: Good stores in Atlanta

: Why new tubes? Are the originals broken - maybe dropped your amp. Vacuum tubes are very durable and your problem is probably not the tubes. Many years ago I thought I needed new tubes and took my amp to the "electronics" guy. He replaced the "fuse" and charged me $45.00. Ouch. I always check the fuses first.

Re: Good stores in Atlanta

There's nothing wrong with my amp, I'm just thinking about changing them for two reasons. I've had the amp for over 10 years and never changed them, and I am interested in changing the tone slightly.

: : Why new tubes? Are the originals broken - maybe dropped your amp. Vacuum tubes are very durable and your problem is probably not the tubes. Many years ago I thought I needed new tubes and took my amp to the "electronics" guy. He replaced the "fuse" and charged me $45.00. Ouch. I always check the fuses first.

help with chords

i'm looking for help with chords on songs by everclear from their cd- so much for the afterglow. it has the songs 'i will buy you a new life' and 'father of mine'. i'll take the chords for any of the songs of of the cd. thnxs so much.

Re: help with chords

try: http://www.tabcrawler.com/ftp/tabs.cgi?browse&e/everclear

Yamaha SA2200

Yamaha SA2200

This popular thread has been given its own page : Yamaha SA2200

AMP HEADS

this may be a really stupid question but u cant get any sound out of an amp head with out a cabinent right?
i wanna buy a head but ill be flat broke and wont be able to buy the cab till later

Re: AMP HEADS

: never played guitar before? eh. Don't by a powerful head and cabinet. Get a combo amp. Then learn to play. Heads and cabinets are for large venue gigs. I've played in many clubs and concert halls and have always used combo amps.

Re: AMP HEADS

If you spend money on a head and then try to run it without a cab you'll be more than flat
broke -- you'll be flat broke needing a new transformer for the head (expensive!). To reiterate,
you cannot run a head without a cab. Moreover you need a cab that matches the impedence
(ohms) of that head. Take Rey's advice and buy the best combo amp you can afford. that way at least you
(probably) won't blow up your investment. There are some great ones out there, and you
can still hook up an extension cab to most of them later on.

1977 Les Paul Standard

I own a '77 Les Paul Standard and would like to know where this guitar was manufactured, Nashville or Kalamazoo?

Re: 1977 Les Paul Standard

You can tell from the serial number usually. There's a bunch of info on www.gibson.com

By the way, the Kalamazoo ones are way better made than the Nashville ones
: I own a '77 Les Paul Standard and would like to know where this guitar was manufactured, Nashville or Kalamazoo?

blind guitar player seeks tuition resources

I am a blind guitar player. Because of this, many instructional tools are not the best for me, because they usually depend heavily on the written/printed part of the instruction. Do you have, or know of any instructional material, that gives good spoken direction, on CD, video, etc?

I would like "I will then fret the A string on the fifth fret, and slide it to the seventh fret, and then pull off back to the fifth", rather than "watch what I'm doing, and you'll get the idea". I have been playing guitar for around 20 years, so I am somewhat comfortable with the basics of the instrument, but just don't always understand what is being demonstrated, when the spoken word is not given.

Thank you for your help!! By the way... I primarily play acoustic finger style guitar, and love the blues, folk, and jazz.

Respectfully Yours,
James Kelm
jkelm@tir.com

Re: blind guitar player seeks tuition resources

: I am a blind guitar player. Because of this, many instructional tools are not the best for me, because they usually depend heavily on the written/printed part of the instruction. Do you have, or know of any instructional material, that gives good spoken direction, on CD, video, etc?

Paul's reply:

The only thing I'm aware of is a set of PC based software packages from a company called Dancing Dots:
http://www.dancingdots.com/

I don't know if you are already aware of this software. But from what little I do know about it, they provide a way to use the Cakewalk sequencer, which itself can generate or import MIDI. Once the music is in MIDI it can be imported into their GOODFEEL package which can create brail transcriptions.

This is about all I know about it and I really can't say I've run across any other alternatives.

I hope that is of some help.

take care,
Paul Kucharski

: : I am a blind guitar player. Because of this, many instructional tools are not the best for me, because they usually depend heavily on the written/printed part of the instruction. Do you have, or know of any instructional material, that gives good spoken direction, on CD, video, etc?

: Paul's reply:

: The only thing I'm aware of is a set of PC based software packages from a company called Dancing Dots:
: http://www.dancingdots.com/

: I don't know if you are already aware of this software. But from what little I do know about it, they provide a way to use the Cakewalk sequencer, which itself can generate or import MIDI. Once the music is in MIDI it can be imported into their GOODFEEL package which can create brail transcriptions.

: This is about all I know about it and I really can't say I've run across any other alternatives.

: I hope that is of some help.

: take care,
: Paul Kucharski

Well, I know it's kind of a long shot, but I intern at a place called digevent.com. We have online guitar instruction, and our host marc seal, doesn't use the "watch and learn" method, he speaks and demonstrates everything he does. It's completely a free show, and every show we have done is archived. if you want to check out a live show, goto guitarmania.digevent.com we go live @ 4:00pm pacific time on friday. you can see what it is all about by looking at our archives @ guitarmania.digevent.com . It's comletely free.
Thanks
Phil

: : : I am a blind guitar player. Because of this, many instructional tools are not the best for me, because they usually depend heavily on the written/printed part of the instruction. Do you have, or know of any instructional material, that gives good spoken direction, on CD, video, etc?

: : Paul's reply:

: : The only thing I'm aware of is a set of PC based software packages from a company called Dancing Dots:
: : http://www.dancingdots.com/

: : I don't know if you are already aware of this software. But from what little I do know about it, they provide a way to use the Cakewalk sequencer, which itself can generate or import MIDI. Once the music is in MIDI it can be imported into their GOODFEEL package which can create brail transcriptions.

: : This is about all I know about it and I really can't say I've run across any other alternatives.

: : I hope that is of some help.

: : take care,
: : Paul Kucharski

: Well, I know it's kind of a long shot, but I intern at a place called digevent.com. We have online guitar instruction, and our host marc seal, doesn't use the "watch and learn" method, he speaks and demonstrates everything he does. It's completely a free show, and every show we have done is archived. if you want to check out a live show, goto guitarmania.digevent.com we go live @ 4:00pm pacific time on friday. you can see what it is all about by looking at our archives @ guitarmania.digevent.com . It's comletely free.
: Thanks
: Phil
---
I sugest you try the site www.musicvi.com
reinaldo rios (reinaldo-rm@pop.com.br)

If you attend any state educational institution such as a University, Community College, or Technical College, they are mandated to provide you with alternative media as part of your accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act. This means you can have any and all written/audio/visual materials transferred to a format that works for you.

Hope this helps. :-)

Tobias Cullins
Director of Interpreting Services,
Bellevue Community College
Bellevue, WA. 98007

FULL "METAL" GUITAR FX: HOW TO??

Hi there..
I hope someone of you can help me with this. I just want to give a full "metal" FX to my guitar (like "white zombie"'s or "powerman 5000"'s etc..)recording to my PC.. Every time i try to do it, the recorded sound is really weak and low even if clipping.
So, do you know what kind of FX they use to get this sound, and how to hard-disk-recording it?? Do i need a special software or just equalize in some ways the signal from my multi FX processor?
And what kind of FXs do i need from my multi FX, and in which way do i need to chain them??
Thanx a lot. Nils

Re: FULL "METAL" GUITAR FX: HOW TO??

Are you recording direct input or microphone. If you are probably losing some punch that you would get from a speaker. You can get by this by using some multi effects with speaker simulation, but it still won't have the punch. If you have to record direct try using disortion with a little delay and compression. Also if the sound is flat you can try to up the higher end e.q., but it might be harsh on the ear. The only way around the harshness might be to use an exciter. Well I hope this helps. See ya.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.