Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Amp prices??

Hola!

You may want to look into the single and dual rectifiers. They are 50 and 100 watts instead of the 150 watts of the triple.
The list prices as of late 2000 are (in U.S. dollars):
Triple Rectifier-$1,399
Dual Rectifier- $1,299
Single Rectifier-$1,099
Nomad 100- $1,299
Nomad 45- $ 799
Nomad 55- $ 999
I'm not sure of the Road King.

Mesa is notorious for not giving any break off of the list price. Take a look on Ebay or other web sites to find used stuff for a better price.

If you want a versatile amp the Nomad is probably better than the other mesa's. The rectifiers have that buzzy distortion.
Have you considered any other brands? Rivera makes great amps that have great high gain distortion like the Mesa's but much better clean sound. They are much more versatile than the Mesa's with one channel based of a marshall and the other had a Blackface and a Tweed Fender-like tone. The Knucklehead 100(which is comparable to the Dual/Triple Rectifier) can be found used for around $800. They also have a 55 watt model for around $600. They are both plenty loud.
What kind of guitar do you have? This will have an effect on your amps tone.

Hope this helps!

Jj

Re: Amp prices??

Thanks Jj.... this is really a lot of help..... I hadn´t really considered other options but marshalls and fenders... about what guitar do I have, I play with a Les Paul Studio... I really don´t know that much about amps, but I´m the kind of guy that wants to make a good investion, and not have to sell one thing to get to the other. I want to buy an amp that I won´t have to change in a long, long time. Thank you very much..

amp. road king price

: I want to buy an amp, a mesa boogie amp, that is. I really don´t care what the price is, as long as I know it´s a fair one. Since I really don´t know the prices of these amps, cause I´m from a part of Mexico where you don´t have easy access to this kind of info, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I´m considering buying either a Triple rectifier, a Nomad 100, or a Road King.... Also some comments about how these really sound, would be usefull. I do all sorts of experimental music, so I´m not interested in getting any particular sound, but I do want power, crunch, clearness and warmth in the sound. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Bass Player Avail, New Jersey

Hi,

Please pardon the intrusion. I'm a 50 y/o and having a blast getting back into music after dropping it to take up a "career" (big mistake stopping). I play bass and am looking for a band in north Jersey area. Blues, R&B, some rock. If you're looking for a bass player (and aren't afraid of the age) let me know-
kenduncan@mindspring.com

Thx,
Ken

Guitarist- MICHIGAN

Hey.
I am 25 and play guitar. Looking for a band to join or people interested in starting a band. rock/metal sounds. Michigan

Hey

: Hey.
: I am 25 and play guitar. Looking for a band to join or people interested in starting a band. rock/metal sounds. Michigan

Hey, I am 17 and play bass guitar and have a friend who plays drums looking for people to start a band with. We live north of Grand Rapids The drummer about 40-45min and myself about an hour. Newaygo county to be exact. Love music and want to be a part of a band that is very dedicated. Rock is cool.

Re: Guitarist- MICHIGAN

I'm a drummer and a musician. rock n roll is good!

pink guitar strap

i found TWO places online that sell pink nylon guitar straps...one site sold in bulk and has fixed shipping prices (they want over ten bucks shipping for a strap that costs two dollars) and the other site shut down after i ordered the strap...i have no way of contacting them and i've gotten no strap in the mail.

if ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I COULD GET A PINK OR A LIME GREEN GUITAR STRAP PLEASE TELL ME

note....nothing super-fancy....i just want a plain ole' pink one. i take it that they don't sell very well since i haven't seen them very often

thank you! --becca--

Re: pink guitar strap

i'm pretty sure musiciansfriend.com sells the standard ernie ball guitar strap (nylon) in a variety of colors (including but not limited to pink, blue, red, black, and white) for like $4 or something.
i'll check it out, although you probably will too.

with love
the Duke

Hey hey hey, I have one that I inherited from my sister, I don't really know where you could buy it but its from Fort Bryan Straps

Becca,
Hello. I'm experiencing similar difficulties in the quest for a pink guitar strap. Why aren't there any? Why aren't there any cheap ones?! I demand answers. I stumbled upon Guitar Heaven, where there are lots of great guitar straps, including pink. The only problem is they're $30!!!!! Here's the address anyway. http://www.sparklecraft.com/guitar_straps.htm
I suggest we team up and rob a bank or something.

Cheerio,
Lindsay

fulltone clyde wah?

To those who own a fulltone clyde wah, do you think it is worth the $280? is it really that much better than a pedal around $150?

Re: fulltone clyde wah?

ive tried it side by side with a vox v847. basically has the same wah range but the vox is smoother. i was in your situation a couple of years back.

too much feedback!

I have a Peavey 5150 2 which I love dearly, but it feedsback like crazy. Besides moving further away from it (cramped rehearsel area), what can I do to eliminate this feedback? Thanks

Re: too much feedback!

Hmm.A lot of guys make the mistake of turning the distortion way up.Remember the guitar has volume,the amp has volume,and distortion IS volume.Try reducing the distortion level and raising the amp level.This might help.Also,try to get your drummer to play softer.Playing softer without reducing the intesity is key.
Hope this helps

: I have a Peavey 5150 2 which I love dearly, but it feedsback like crazy. Besides moving further away from it (cramped rehearsel area), what can I do to eliminate this feedback? Thanks
Your pickup is the culprit here. EVH "pots"his pickups (dipping in parafin wax) but this can be lethal to some pickups according to him. I opt for a nice DiMarzio Super Distortion. This pickup has always worked for me without potting.

: I have a Peavey 5150 2 which I love dearly, but it feedsback like crazy. Besides moving further away from it (cramped rehearsel area), what can I do to eliminate this feedback? Thanks
Your pickup sucks! "pot" your pickup(dip in parafin wax...although I don't recomend this) Better yet...get a nice pickup like a DiMarzio Super Distortion. Ed recommmends Gibson PAF's...good luck!
Their very rare. Try a Duncan custom custom..That was made for Ed. Iv'e never tried one though. Before all of this, adjust your distortion parameters. This can have a big effect on feedback.

BANDS- want to perform in front of 35,000 people ?

i just submitted my music for this contest at www.jamwithpam.com, give it a try man if you have a good band,one would be signed up for a contract too, i hear from friends.

Epiphone

Haai everybody,

My name is Roel van der Veer, I live in The Netherlands.

I own a Epiphone Broadway, (jazzguitar)
Is there anyone who can give me more technical detail about this guitar, give me any tips about amps, pedals etc. I also like to learn more about Epiphone itself.

Greatings, Roel.

Re: Epiphone

Howdy,

If you go to www.epiphone.com they have a bit of info on their new stuff. It is a little tricky to find info on their stuff from 1980-1999.
The Broadway is a single round cutaway hollow style, with a spruce top maple back, sides, and neck. Rosewood fingerboard, pearl block inlay and 2 single coil pickups.

If you have any specific questions about Epiphone I can help. I know quite a bit about their stuff. I own some Epiphones and learned quite a bit while looking for info on my stuff.

Jj

single locking tremelo

I have a washburn electric guitar that i am have much difficulties setting the action. When i try to tune my guitar nothing seems to work, the bridge just seems to get further and further away from the body. How do i successfully correct this and prevent this from bringing me down???

Re: single locking tremelo

: I have a washburn electric guitar that i am have much difficulties setting the action. When i try to tune my guitar nothing seems to work, the bridge just seems to get further and further away from the body. How do i successfully correct this and prevent this from bringing me down???

You mentioned you have a single locking tremolo. The biggest difficulty here can be overcome by adjusting spring tension in the back of your axe.Either remove springs or adjust "claw". Email me if you need more specifics.

Boss gt-3

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience
some cracking or overpowering sound when running
the gt-3 through a roland jc120. My band members
say i'm overdriving the amp from the processor.

i've turned down all the volume controls still
getting that distorted/cracking sound. i need power
to keep up with the guys, and i know that these
two pieces of equipment can do the job.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Help!

F. Cirolli guitar constructor.

I`m looking for information on an italian guitar constructor named F.Cirolli.He lived at around 1850-1920.Probably , He lived in Alexandria , Egypt.
Please answer as soos as possible.

F.Cirolli antique guitar

Hi, I have a F.Cirolli very unusual and very beautifull guitar made in Alexandria of Egypt, but I cant find more information about this Italian luthier. I would appreciate if someone can help

Need a cicuit diagram for peavea supreme amp

Can someone tell me where i can get a cicuit diagram for a peavey supreme guitar-amp?

ELECTRO HARMONIX MEMORY MAN

Is the memory man similar in sound to Tape echo?
Can you get that wild oscillating sound? If so would it break the unit as it seems to have an overload LED which I fear would be on all the time.
Do all the different models echo sound and operate the same (I dont need the Chorus/Vibrato effects)?

Re: ELECTRO HARMONIX MEMORY MAN

: Is the memory man similar in sound to Tape echo?
: Can you get that wild oscillating sound? If so would it break the unit as it seems to have an overload LED which I fear would be on all the time.
: Do all the different models echo sound and operate the same (I dont need the Chorus/Vibrato effects)?

The Memory Man has an analog delay sound,very nice,it's one of my favorite effects of all time. If you overdrive the unit then turn the knobs you will get some really wild unpredictable sounds. Doesn't seem to hurt to overdrive it I've been doing it for years. There's several models all operate about the same, the original ones made years ago are noisier. I love mine purchased 3 years ago highly recommended

Actually yes.The Memory Man is a solid state delay.But the older models should "BLOW-UP" when the intensity is maxed out.That overload LED thing seems to control the feedback wildness.But it still gets pretty crazy. The real danger is that the amp speaker won't be able to handle extreme amounts of this regeneration! So,be careful.The chorus is cool,the vibrato is alright.But I think the regular Memory Man might get crazier!
Good Luck

: Actually yes.The Memory Man is a solid state delay.But the older models should "BLOW-UP" when the intensity is maxed out.That overload LED thing seems to control the feedback wildness.But it still gets pretty crazy. The real danger is that the amp speaker won't be able to handle extreme amounts of this regeneration! So,be careful.The chorus is cool,the vibrato is alright.But I think the regular Memory Man might get crazier!
: Good Luck

I have newer deluxe model. I wouldn't knock the chorus/vib on this unit. If you cant use them all the time, that's ok. They come off really buttery for ambiance, and if you turn the rate up and the delay time to almost nothing, tweak the mix where it's workable, the origional note you play is slightly de-tuned by the chorus. It's a fun tool to have live. enjoy!

TITS

I think titties are lovely but this has nothing to do with guitars and this is a guitar site so please ignore me. love Bob the Nob

true enough

haha

rock on
the Duke

Re: TITS

Yes I agree!Tits make the world go 'round!

Zoom ii effects pedals

Hi ! I'm aftre some patches for programming my Zoom ii effects pedal. Do you know any good internet sites?

Re: Zoom ii effects pedals

: Hi ! I'm after some patches for programming my Zoom ii effects pedal. Do you know any good internet sites?

Re: Zoom ii effects pedals

IM LOOKIIN FOR PATCHES FOR THE BOSS GT3 ROLAND PEDAL.KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A SITE WITH THEM?

where can i find patches for line6 POD????????

I need to know where can i find patches for my POD pedal i you know where please let me know as soon as possible.

Re: where can i find patches for line6 POD????????

try:
musiciansfriend.com
marsmusic.com

electar 65 watt amp loudness

hi all!
I'm in need of a new amp, and I saw an Electar 65
watt amp forsal for 220 bucks on musicyo.com.
anybody have any experience with these amps?
will the 65 watt be loud enough to gig with and not
be drowned out? thanks a lot for your help,
--pike66--

fender roc pro 1000 (good amp?)

fender roc pro 1000 (good amp?)

This popular thread has been given its own page : fender roc pro 1000 (good amp?)

stagg

I just got a stagg and I wonder where one can find the model and serial number? Its a Les Paul copy.

Chords

I am having trouble getting detail for chords such as C2 and G2. Where is the best comprehensive designation of chords?

Re: Chords

C2? G2? Never heard of it.I think it's really a Cmaj.6th add 9.The D being the 2nd or 9th in the key of Cmaj.Added on top.If someone as a better idea I'd also like to know.
Hmm.

go to www.chordfind.com

: go to www.chordfind.com
It's not at chordfind. Eddie G. is right. It's a C add 2 . I.e. the 9 (D) in a c chord. If there was a 6 in it i think it is called a C6add9 or c6/9. In a C9 there's also a 7th so that's why it's not called C9.
Paul

Guitar ID

I just came across a MAKO traditional guitar semi-hollow body with Grover Machine heads and humbucking. Can someone tell me who makes this guitar and where can I order parts.

Mako Guitar ID

Mako Guitar ID

This popular thread has been given its own page : Mako Guitar ID

Acoustic/Electric Amps

what are the differences between a normal electric guitar amp and an acoustic/electric amp? Will the same amp work for a pizeo pickup as the one for my humbucking solidbody?

Thanks

SPACE ECHO RE-101

How does this model differ from the later ones?
Also I have seen this model relatively cheap a few times. Is it worth less than the others?
What would be a reasonable price?

test

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.