Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Jj pls help us with this one

mine sucks too, i am thinking of changing it to Seymour duncan custom. I heard emg81 is good, but i've never try one b4.

AZN GUITAR PLAYER WANTED

Looking for a guitarist thats asia in the age group of 15 - 21....... needs to live in california and play punk......... email me at opzx@hotmail.com

Fender Jaguar Bass VI

is it worth something...to rebuilt a Bass VI
I guess first 6 string bass guitar made ??
I have one which has been converted to 4 strings
where can I get new keys and bridge ?

Re: Fender Jaguar Bass VI

: Depending on the condition, I would recommend against
drilling or modifying this guitar.
It is likely worth something(there weren't alot of bass VI's made. If you don't like it sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

RE:Please respond asap, fender squire guitars

Dear Natalie:
Just be carefull with the body and neck wood (Absolutely no "plywood") the newest fender squires are made with Agatis (hard wood) If that squire is japanese made is a wgreat guitar...if you have any questions about buy or set up guitars just write me celgueta@usa.net
Good luck
Carlos

which amp should I buy? (please respond)

hi all.
i have a question. I've narrowed down my list of
possible amp choices to 2.
a fender stage 100 head, with dt412 cabinet.
or a fender hot rod deville 410.
which one should I get? all opinions are appreciated.
thanks.

Re: which amp should I buy? (please respond)

I suppose it all depends on what kind of sound your going for and what kind of music you play.
Both of your choices are really good for a clean, warm, country-ish tone.

John Frusciante

[The body of this post has been reconstituted from replies so it may differ from what was originally written.]

: Amen.

Re: John Frusciante

: : Amen.
For me it wasn't Clapton, Beck, Page.
It was Navarro,Frusciante and Mascis.

Brave new guitar techniques

I play guitar since I'm 8 and now, I'm 29. And, since I have small hands, I thought, until recently, I could never hope of achieving what other guitarists can. So, I've always been a lousy guitarist until recently.

I tried very hard to improve my technique and after alot of experimentation I found satisfying answers. I reexamined what my hands were doing and came up with two new techniques.

I call them Smart Picking and Keeping Thumbs Up.

Smart Picking: Maybe this is not new to some of you. I sure don't know anyone who uses it except me. This picking technique made me achieve incredible picking speed. The pick must rest between the thumb and the index and the major. The pick has to become sort of a sixth nail growing under the major and the index. I strike the notes with a right angle. My pick is not parallel to the strings when it touches them. So, I get less resistance. The pick used, must be thick though. A thin pick, will not give good results with that technique. If the pick is hard enough, the sound you will get will not be less intense than with parallel picking. Personnaly, I find smart picking sounds less agressive than parallel picking.

Keeping Thumbs Up: This concerns the hand that's on the board. It consists of placing your palm close to the small string while you play, not on the other side of the neck, close to the biggest string. This technique will give you more dexterity and endurance. This technique can be used for whatever style of playing. So , it's a thumbs up...

Washington D.C.

college student going back to the washington d.c. area for the summer beginning in may. i am looking for amateur guitarists and bassists to jam with over the summer. please email me.

guitar brand/type

Which electric guitar brand/type is suitable for playing fingerstyle jazz standards

Fender guitar info

Received a gift years ago of a 'Fender Flame' electric guitar.
Serial number is eight digits and starts '40...'. Cannot find
it in any Fender lists! Anyone heard of a Fender Flame and any
info?

Re: Fender guitar info

: To be Frank with you(sorry I couldn't resist) The Fender (unless you have a Custom shop) is a Foto flame finish. I don't know if the flame is painted on, veneer or an actual photo of wood grain, super-imposed over the wood. They were made in Japan and I think there may have been some Squiers' too. Cool guitars. Very pretty, but a little heavy. Probably worth $50 to 100 more than a standard model. nice axe.

Fender Telecaster pickups

I have 78 tele, ash body and rosewood fingerboard. I use late 70`s Fender superreverb. Pickups are texas special custom shop. Our band play old rock`n`roll(Jerry Lee Lewis). Sound of Tex. sp. is too fat for me. I like Ronnie Dawson`s sound. Who can give me some advice, what pickups Ineed? I think, maybe DiMarzio Twang Kings? Thank you!
Andres from Estonia

Re: Fender Telecaster pickups

: I have 78 tele, ash body and rosewood fingerboard. I use late 70`s Fender superreverb. Pickups are texas special custom shop. Our band play old rock`n`roll(Jerry Lee Lewis). Sound of Tex. sp. is too fat for me. I like Ronnie Dawson`s sound. Who can give me some advice, what pickups Ineed? I think, maybe DiMarzio Twang Kings? Thank you!
: Andres from Estonia

Check out Kinman pups (He has a web site I believe it is www.kinman.com they are super low noise with all the vintage tone, or you can try the Fender low noise pups.

Is there still a place on the net???????? Please....

Hello, I knew some years ago there was a place online where you could enter the serial number on your guitar(fender) and it showed what year and the spesifications on that model.

Is there still a place on the net that has this function?
I have a Fender Srat model I want to find more about, how many was made of that model etc, cause it's a limitied edition model I got.

Thanks

Chord finder

Does NE 1 know the power chords for Nirvana- Smells like teen spirit?

korg toneworks ax 1000g manual

can anyone help me i bought a korg toneworks ax 1000g cheap in the uk ,and when i got back home to holland realised that no manual was included ,so i contacted the shop which i have no heard has gone out of buisness
so i,m stuk with this great guitar effects bord but no manual can anyone send me a copy of theres i will be glad to pay.

cheers jae

Richie Sambora Black Paisley LTD.

Anyone who know the spesf. and how many that was made of this?

Re: Richie Sambora Black Paisley LTD.

Steinberger bass, original mid '80 (the small-one)

Hi, I just became the proud owner of a steinberger bass, the small-one. But the different equipment to adjust the complete bass wasn't with it. (s.u.saddleheight,batterycompartment, stringlock, nutlock, etc.) Does anyone have the right measures and the name of the equipement to regulate the bolts??
A belgian guitarsite.com-fan

Morris Acoustic?

I am looking at buying a second hand acoustic. I have found an acoustic by Morris. It is made in Japan. I presume that it is called a Morris so that it looks like it is made in the US. Does anyone know if these guitars are any good?

Thanks

Re: Morris Acoustic?

: I am looking at buying a second hand acoustic. I have found an acoustic by Morris. It is made in Japan. I presume that it is called a Morris so that it looks like it is made in the US. Does anyone know if these guitars are any good?

i have a played one and it all i can say is, it is really good in terms of tone and playability, i tried to convince my friend to sell it to me but he won't, Let your ear be the judge, each guitar differ from the other.

: Thanks

Tokai Giutars

My fellow Tokai owners,I to have been searching for information about my Tokai as well. I have a Tokai

Tokai Giutars

My fellow Tokai owners,I to have been searching for information about my Tokai as well. I have a Tokai Strat.Apparently these copies were so good that Fender sued the company for making them and they ended up buying yhe company.Also iwas told by people in the music industry, thta these guitars are better than anything that Fender was producing.From another source I had heard that Stevie Ray was playing won for a while until Fender found out.Thats when they brought out the SRV signature model.My music teacher plays a SRV, and he cant believe the sound I get out ofmy Tokai.Hope to here from my fellow Tokai owners,and I"ll try to find out more now that I know you are out there.

"WANTED" ELECTRO-HARMONIX MEMORY MAN

Any unit considered in good (Quiet) working order. Preferably in the U.K.(but any considered)PHILTURNER1@AOL.COM

Roland Re-201 Space echo replacemnt tapes

Anyone out there know where I can find fresh and unused replacement tape for my Roland Space echo RE-201. I want a bunch that will last me a few years har!.Willing to pay a fair price for them if you have any.

What is the history of guitar?

I would like to know the guitar history fully!! Who can help me?

Types of guitar

There are how many types of guitar? Can please name and difference it? (e.g what is diferrent between steel guitar, nylon, bass, electric, jazz, blue, classical......) What the most popular brand of guitar? How to get information about types of guitar?

Re: Types of guitar

: There are how many types of guitar? Can please name and difference it? (e.g what is diferrent between steel guitar, nylon, bass, electric, jazz, blue, classical......) What the most popular brand of guitar? How to get information about types of guitar?

I can't help much, but all you have to do is do a search on the net and you'll find all the history on the guitar you want. Also Gibson and Fender sell the most guitars by far. Check out their websites!

Burns Split Sound Jazz Guitar modifications

I have a 1965 Burns Split Sound short scale Jazz Guitar and would like to hear about any wiring modifications to make this interesting guitar more playable - with particular reference to the Wild Dog setting and the Split Sound setting - any suggestions?

Wheatus-Chords

hi, i m looking for some chords of Wheatus-A little respect , thx

Digitech RP-10

Hello... I'm brazilian, and I have a Digitech RP10... I want a help to make an effect like an organ... But a good one... Thanks

7 String Intonation Problem please help

Hello all, I have an Ibanez S7420 model and lately I've been experiencing some intonation problems with it, everytime I try to tune it to standard pitch (Low to High Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb)the intonation turns out 1/2 step flat than desired, does anyone knows what going on? have someone experienced something similar?

Selmar guitar

Any one know about an (electric) selmar guitar believed to have been made around 1920

pots!

Anyone got any schematics for wiring two P90's in to a 'blend' potentiometer connected to a master volume and master tone ?

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE ANSWER ANYONE ELSE!

I wonder why is it that 90% of the questions posted here, go unanswered. At first I thought maybe it's because nobody here actually knows much, but after seeing the few questions that our answered(rather complicated) I now think it's more a case of laziness, smugness, or just that you knowledgeable guitarists that visit this site are JACKASSES! This site is useless if questions don't get answered. If you see a question you can help with, than freakin well help you lazy bums!

Strat vs. Tele

I'm at a loss as to what is the big difference between these two guitars.
And also, what amps would you recommend for a Strat or Tele?

Mexican Tele or Strat?

I read on www.musicgearreview.com that the Mexican Strats are inferior to the American versions, but the Teles are almost as good. I don't have the money for an American, which Mexican do I go with: Tele or Strat?

i want bvuying a guitar

i want buy guitar

Japanese Gibson SG

In the early seventies I bought the above guitar. It looks like a Gibson, It says Gibson on the head but in a slightly different style. Its dark brown with two humbuckers. The plate for the bolt-on neck says "made in Japan". Is it a rip-off copy or were these made for Gibson. Any help would be appreciated

New Guitarist's Web Site

My name is Scott Jones, professional musician. www.scottjonesmusic.com

First of all, I hate "self-promoting" but, music is what I do...and I want to share it with as many people as I can...so if you've got a few minutes, read on...thanks!

Who I am and more about me.

I am currently the music/band director, guitarist, and transcriber/arranger at my church in St. Louis.

It is a contemporary service that has afforded me the great privilege of writing in every style imaginable and sharing my gifts to a congregation of 3-4000 people each week.

This includes all vocal arranging, all transcribing, new instrumental arrangements of hymns and worship songs, new original songs, all orchestrations of horns, strings, piano, full rhythm section; in the styles of modern rock, pop, country, jazz, world music, orchestral...etc

I am also a songwriter and would like to produce original artists of all styles and backgrounds.

In addition to the Music Director/Guitarist position at my church, I've done quite a bit of sequencing/composing. Most of it has been personal writing and has encompassed orchestral/soundtrack, fusion, pop, and country. Fusion and jazz was my primary focus for many years.

I'm fortunate to have been in Keyboard magazines' Discoveries column, Recording magazine's Reader's tapes, Music and Computers magazine's Spotlight column.

Anyway...

I have a new web site, which has more info about me, my colleagues, and a ton of demo samples of my playing, arranging, composing...check it out, if you have time.

...it is still being updated daily, so check back often...new graphics, photos, links and my photography still to come...

www.scottjonesmusic.com

Thanks,

Scott

Line6 POD v2.2

Does anyone have POD v2.2 or 2.1 as a hex file? I have v2.0 and those upgrade kits aren't available where I live.
Thank You!

Marco

value of a 1959 gibson guiter in perfect shape

Epiphone les paul

do you think that an epiphone les paul limited edition, emerlad green (2nd hand) in worth £250 (approx $350)

Harmony Acoustic

Can anyone help me ID a Harmony Guitar?
Acoustic flattop, ID # 319-12390000.
Value?

zoom gfx-707 manuel

If someone has a scanned copy of the gfx manuel please e-mail it to me and I would greatly appreciate it.

wherez me guitar

oi

any seriously hardcore bands out there

hey guys,

if you've got a really HEAVY band. let me know. faulty1@iprimus.com.au

Cya!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.