Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Valley Arts Pickups

Hi,

Valley Arts is owned by Samick company of Korea as of 1993. It is Samicks "custom shop" and are built in the US. Probably the most expensive of the Samick line but I'm not real sure about that. Pretty good guitars.
Before Samick bought Valley Arts the company guitars in North Hollywood California from 1979-1993. Not too many pop up since production was few.
The pick ups you bought are most likely EMG's. That is an option on various Valley Arts guitars.

Hope this helps!

Jj

Guild"83" F45CD

If anyone has one for sale, email me please.

les paul custom lite

I've heard these are awesome and I like the idea of not having a ruptured disc in my spine. anyone know where I can get one? I'm pretty sure they stopped making them in 88', please email me if you have any info.

Re: les paul custom lite

: I've heard these are awesome and I like the idea of not having a ruptured disc in my spine. anyone know where I can get one? I'm pretty sure they stopped making them in 88', please email me if you have any info.

:They ARE NOT awesome.Cheaper,yes better,NO. Sit down and practice until you are STRONG enough to handle it. You wanna (be) a guitar player?? Sacrifice! work at it. This new genx is a bunch of pussies! I'm 48,5'9",160 lbs. and can hold a Paul ALL NITE. Get with it!

: :
Hey Ecar! Screw you old man.
You Baby Boomer, bluesmen, wanna-be's suck.
You all think that because you were alive in the 70's that you are automatically awesome. Your warmed over 70's licks are boring. I can tell by the tone of your post that you are in fact the wanna-be.
Go get in your SUV and get to your brat's soccer game. That's where old f-s like you belong. Not on stage, hoping your comb over won't blow to the side when you do your bitchin' 70's cock rock moves. You probably think Toto rocks. Come to a show. If you survive the crowd/pit then you can come and tell me I'm GenX pussy.

The Les Paul Custom lites are not super-highly regarded but deliver the Les-tone at a fraction of the weight. 70's & 80's Les Pauls were extremely heavy.
The vintage Pauls(the bursts) come in at about 9lbs.
They made a Les Paul Studio Custom Lite too with a flame top. I got one and it's great.
I also own a Classic and a Historic and I say if you can afford it, go the whole hog and buy a used Historic, even the plaintops are much nicer than the standards or classics.

: : : Generation - "its my parents fault"...
Grow up - when even one single guitarist of your generation learns how to play lead, play without detuning and sounding like the cookie monster AND sampling from real musicians then you can be critcal of "older" musicians...
Your geneartion makes me sick - rap is crap - I can't wait till keyboerda become fashionable again so all you ska freaks will angst your sorry asses back the garage where you and Good Charlotte" belong...
: Hey Ecar! Screw you old man.
: You Baby Boomer, bluesmen, wanna-be's suck.
: You all think that because you were alive in the 70's that you are automatically awesome. Your warmed over 70's licks are boring. I can tell by the tone of your post that you are in fact the wanna-be.
: Go get in your SUV and get to your brat's soccer game. That's where old f-s like you belong. Not on stage, hoping your comb over won't blow to the side when you do your bitchin' 70's cock rock moves. You probably think Toto rocks. Come to a show. If you survive the crowd/pit then you can come and tell me I'm GenX pussy.

:
: The Les Paul Custom lites are not super-highly regarded but deliver the Les-tone at a fraction of the weight. 70's & 80's Les Pauls were extremely heavy.
: The vintage Pauls(the bursts) come in at about 9lbs.
: They made a Les Paul Studio Custom Lite too with a flame top. I got one and it's great.
: I also own a Classic and a Historic and I say if you can afford it, go the whole hog and buy a used Historic, even the plaintops are much nicer than the standards or classics.

I own 3 Les Pauls: A Standard Raw Power (best mass produced, under $1500, stock electric guitar tone I have ever heard), a Studio and a Cherry Burst Custom Lite. I really like the custom lite, not just because it's lighter, it's more comfortable to play and it's a nice variation on the regular Les Paul with no sacrafice in tone. It's a really sweet guitar. I highly recommend trying one out, if you can find one.

Scholz soloist

Does anybody have a schematic for S&R&D Soloist from 1984. Thanks

Bass Guitar

I am looking for a short scale accoustic bass guitar if
there is such. Anyone know anything?

Thanks
Bernie

79 fender stratacaster american

how much is a 79 fender strat worth now?

Re: 79 fender stratacaster american

Hi,

Depending on the condition, finish, where you live, and if it is all original it can be worth up to about $800.

Jj

I'd say even more. A '79 is 22 years old. Soon to be "vintage". Of course, all original w/case helps greatly.
Mint: $1200-1300
VG:$1000
G:$800
I just shipped a '77 for $1100 and it was pretty beat.

: how much is a 79 fender strat worth now?
: how common are they?

1983-1984 Strat Tremelo part

I have a project guitar with only one part missing. The part is the forward mount for the tremelo. The tremelo has a stamp on it stating simply "Germany". The Strat is of the 1983-1984 issue. I do believe it was actually titled the "Second Edition". I have had no luck finding this part. Any advise is appreciated.........Adam

Electric Guitar HELP...

Is there any way to change/switch a RIGHT handed electric guitar to a LEFT handed guitar? If so, How?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Electric Guitar HELP...

You would need to put a new nut on that has the slots in reverse order, and depending on what type of bridge the guitar has you may need to change that too. Then just restring it backwards.

http://home.earthlink.net/~guitarjoe/

Re: Electric Guitar HELP...

I agree with Guitar Joe, but sometimes you can get away with regrooving the nut, as opposed to replacing it entirely, I have a left handed student that had the same problem, I regrooved the nut and did some minor bridge adjustments and the problem was solved

need to find Rage aginst the machine tab and Ameracian Hi-Fi tab plez hellp

plez help me find Rage aginst the machine tab and Ameracian Hi-Fi tab plez help

Re: need to find Rage aginst the machine tab and Ameracian Hi-Fi tab plez hellp

check out www.ratm.net then go to tabs and check out the tabs.

which is "real" tube distortion pedal?

i dont know which tube distortion pedal should i buy, pls suggest. does it require a tube amp also? all any amp will do? any help will be apreciated..thanks

Re: which is "real" tube distortion pedal?

: No pedal will give you all the nuances of tube tone.
There is really no substitute for a tube amp. There are several pedals that utilize tubes in the preamp stage but they still are rammed into a solid state power section. True tube distortion comes about when the power tubes get cookin'. With tubes, ramming the input will give you different shades of grind. With soild state, you get different shades of electronic bleating. Get yourself a tube amp.

Kahler Spyder Temelo

I have a lovely pepto pink (OK they call it "caral")Fender HM strat. The problem is that the bone head I bought it from lost the trem arm. Does anyone know wher or how to get a replacement. I know Kahler still exists out there somewhere but I am having a hard time finding them. Help! I need to divebomb like in the old days! Thanks

Re: Kahler Spyder Temelo

it is sort of complicated. go to dogpile.com and enter kahler inc in the search engine and go down all the search engines and if u pay attention you will find it, i know because i looked 4 them for 3 months. anyway let meknow if u fine them. i think all think all they have is the top of the line model. it cost like $290.00. i love 'em but the floyd cost $150.00

my freind owns a music store,and told me that kahler went out of business a few years back.i have a trem bar that i do not use i am willing to let go of.you can call me at 1(618)833-1816 or email me at killer_clown_666@hotmail.com thanks matt

We have the same problem.:-(

Great Site

I love guitars!!!!!!!!!

Yea

Great site

types of guitars

are there any sites that show the differnt types of guitars

Re: types of guitars

hi chris,
you should be able to find what your looking for by checking out the most popular guitar makers sites e.g. gibson
fender
esp
carvin
just to name a few.
if you go to www.musiciansfriend.com and/or
www.guitaronemag.com they have same really good links to the sites your looking for.

i hope this helps you out.

john kirk. : are there any sites that show the differnt types of guitars

hi chris,
you should be able to find what your looking for by checking out the most popular guitar makers sites e.g. gibson
fender
esp
carvin
just to name a few.
www.guitaronemag.com they have same really good links to the sites your looking for.

john kirk. : are there any sites that show the differnt types of guitars

hi chris,
fender
esp
carvin
just to name a few.

john kirk.

Hey chris or anybody else lukin up on dis site....
im doin a hw ass. on guitars... n i was hopin u pplz mite be able 2 help... if ya haf ne info... plz send to my e-mail ac... if its afta tuesday d 11th march 2003... dun wowi abt it... thx neways... 88
btw... d ass is abt all sorts of guitars!!

: are there any sites that show the differnt types of guitars

check out Ed Romans world class guitars...Excellent site!!

Re: to know about music

: are there any sites that show the differnt types of guitars

^*^Types of Guitars are Elec.,12 String,16 String,Double Neck,12 or 16 string Double Neck,Elec. 12 or 16 string,Elec. 4 string,Acoustic, 12 or 16 string Acou.
From,
Jack Black

its me want to have a good time big boy

Vester Ovation copies - any reviews?

I'm thinking of buying a Vester copy of Ovation's
roundback acoustic electric Vester model HS57. I'm not
a pro musician but I do the occasional gig at student
parties. Does anyone have any advice on this guitar?
Comments? Reviews?

Yes,A Vester electric guitar is the best!

A Vester-Maniac is one of the best guitars I've ever ownd,and good luck on tryin to find one cuz there are extremly rare

wrist position?? help!

Whenever I play barre chords my wrist gets sharp sudden pains--possibly carpal tunnel beginnings? I try to keep the neck pretty high where it's comfortable, and my thumb low, but that stuff isn't helping with the barre chords.

Re: wrist position?? help!

: Whenever I play barre chords my wrist gets sharp sudden pains--possibly carpal tunnel beginnings? I try to keep the neck pretty high where it's comfortable, and my thumb low, but that stuff isn't helping with the barre chords.

Sorry, got cut off. Anyway, I've tried tilting the guitar but my wrist is still at a bad angle. Does anyone have advice? What have you tried? I'm wondering if being a girl and having smaller ahnds causes more of a problem with this?

Im far from an expert bt being a girl would have nothing to do with it/.... im a girl and have no trouble :)
Natalie: :

Whenever I play barre chords my wrist gets sharp sudden pains--possibly carpal tunnel beginnings? I try to keep the neck pretty high where it's comfortable, and my thumb low, but that stuff isn't helping with the barre chords.

: Sorry, got cut off. Anyway, I've tried tilting the guitar but my wrist is still at a bad angle. Does anyone have advice? What have you tried? I'm wondering if being a girl and having smaller ahnds causes more of a problem with this?

Try light guage strings, they require less pressure to fret, as for having small hands, I don't know what to tell you(I have the opposite problem), many companies make a 3/4 scale guitar in various makes and models, check some out. Best of luck, hope I helped a little.

Hmm.This sounds like a problem with elbow positioning. If you play these chords with your elbow tucked inward,this could put stress on the outside of your wrist(pinky).Try keeping your elbow away from your body.Also,does your axe have a chunky neck??You might need an axe with a smaller neck.Lastly,try focusing more power towards your fingers,instead of the whole hand(thumb).Or,maybe you're over playing,practicing. Give your your hands a day or two to relax.But check with your doctor anyway! Sorry if i'm long-winded.
Good Luck

Don't push too hard with your barre finger. Also it depends on guitar. The further the strings are away from the neck the harder it gets, like on spanish guitars. try practising on al electrical guitar instaead, if you have access to one off course.
: Whenever I play barre chords my wrist gets sharp sudden pains

acoustic/electric

Does anyone know who makes an acoustic/electric with the tone/volume controls on the face of the guitar. It looks like a fender thinline but it has no soundhole.

Re: acoustic/electric

Ovation makes several models like this, as well as Applause.

Acoustic Guitar Question?

I have been playing a friends for 3 months and have become pretty proficient since I also play the violin( i found them very similar). Anyway I want to get my own and am unsure what I should get. Can anyone give me a model they like or just general tips on buying? Also, I was thinking of an acoustic but a friend loves his electro-acoustic. Any views?
Cheers.

Re: Acoustic Guitar Question?

<font face="tahoma" color="#ffffff">Hi Richard,
the best advice with an acoustic guitar, I think, is learn all you can about them, but specifically learn how to check that the intonation is correct, that the neck is straight and that the action is playable without buzzing on any frets. If this is all in order, check the general condition of the instrument and that all the machine heads are working and that it stays in tune after some playing.

The rest is all about tone.
For a good quality sound it is more or less irrefutable that a <i>solid</i> top of good close-grained spruce or cedar (or possibly maple) is unbeatable. To see if the top is solid, make sure the grain is continuous into the soundhole. If it looks scratchy and grainy and you can't see the grain it's probably made of plywood, which almost never sounds very good.

I think that for around £200 one can, with care, pick up good second hand guitars. New, £200 doesn't buy a very good one these days, though I think there are less utterly terrible instruments around than there used to be.
If you really want to buy new, I think Seagull and Simon and Patrick can be very good value, but many cheaper range guitars may not sustain your enthusiasm if you have a patch of disinterest.

I'm describing here how to look for an instrument which will still feel worth playing in a few years time and not just 'something to learn on', because I don't really believe it's very helpful to learn on a bad instrument. keep borrowing the one you have until you can afford a better one, if the cost sounds high for your budget.
The main thing, I think, is to take a lot of time, make friends with people in guitar shops and with other players and get a real sense of confidence in what you yourself really like about a guitar.
Read about guitars, and play as many as you can and you'll <i>know</i> when you've met the right one.

Good luck.

</font>

Re: Acoustic Guitar Question?

An acoustic/electric is a good idea - if you ever want to play your guitar amplified (which is very probable), you'll already have the capability without having to worry about installing a pick up. You can find a nice affordable ac/el in a Takamine or Ovation. Most Ovations have thin necks and bodies so they're very comfortable to play. However, they don't have a loud full tone if playing straight acoustic because of their lyrachord body. But they do feel great and are superior ac/el guitars. If there's anything else I can help you with regarding guitars, give me a call at 1-888-590-9700 or email me at rgallo@music123.com -Ro

Hughes & Kettner pedal?

Is there anyone from NEW ZEALAND out there that is using a Hughes and Kettner 'Tube Factor' distortion pedal?Where did you get it,and did you need some sort of modification made to it, as it 's a 260V, or mabye 280V unit,and kiwi power supply is 240.Mabye I'll just get a crothers Hot Cake, an be done with it!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.