Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Looking for guitar sounds on the Boss BR

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I use a Boss BR 8 to record stuff and I was wondering if anyone knows some good ways of tweaking the effects to give me some good guitar sounds, or perhaps knows any forums or websites on the BR8 for this sort of thing? I keep trying to get a good metal-sound but it's driving me nuts not being able to. The presets aren't good enough.

A device that can record bass lines and the replay them live?

I am looking for a device that can record bass lines and the replay these lines in a live situation. I am thinking that the songs would be broken up into three four, five, or six parts and the bass line would be recorded for each part. A foot pedal would be use to move from one bass part to another within a particular song. Ideally the device would have the capacity to record and play back up to 30 song at a time. Has anyone heard of or used such a device?

fender princeton chorus problem

fender princeton chorus problem

This popular thread has been given its own page : fender princeton chorus problem

Ovation electronics

Will someone please explain the purpose and workings of the little equalizer(?)panel with volume control and 9 volt battery in the compartment at the top of the Ovation body? If they are controls to be used in conjunction with an amp, what is the purpose of the battery? Thanks.

Re: Ovation electronics

It is exactly what you said it is. An equalizer. The guitar does need to be amplified in order for it to work. You'd be an idiot to try and adjust the EQ when unplugged. The battery powers the EQ. They are generally "active" systems which means the EQ has frequency boost AND cut functions. If there were no battery it would be a "passive" system... only frequency boost controls. I hope this helps a little.

: Thanks Phil. That clears it up. I'm a little behind the times on guitar pick-ups and switches. The last guitar I bought was a 1952 arch-top Gibson with only volume and tone controls. My wife just bought me a new ovation, and since I am no longer a working musician and don't need the amplification, I didn't even check out the purpose of the battery and the sophisticated pick-up.

: Thanks Phil. That clears it up. I'm a little behind the times on guitar pick-ups and switches. The last guitar I bought was a 1952 arch-top Gibson with only volume and tone controls. My wife just bought me a new ovation, and since I am no longer a working musician and don't need the amplification, I didn't even check out the purpose of the battery and the sophisticated pick-up.

I'm glad I was able to help. If you do ever "plug-in", the active pick-up system can do wonders for the tone, especially if the sound system leaves much to be desired. My acoustic/electric has an active system and I prefer a "scooped mids" sound, removing all middle frequecies with the controls. It gives the guitar a very punchy tone, really thick. Try it, you may like that too.

mcs148-rrbcelebmandolinrubyred

I recently purchased a beautiful ovation mandolin.i got a great deal, but think there is a problem. as in defect. Could you send information related to manufacutrer warranty and or repair .

Guitar Competition in Tbilisi

Hallo,

My name is Armen.
I have a question. Will you please, advise me,
if there is a guitar competition in Tbilisi,
Republic of Georgia, this September - October.

Thanking you in advance
Armen

play guitar

i like to learn how to play guitar

Re: play guitar

So take lessons

Bedrock Amplifier Schematic...

Bedrock Amplifier Schematic...

This popular thread has been given its own page : Bedrock Amplifier Schematic...

gretch model number 35714 hollow body aniversary edition

gold sunburst how much are they worth>?????????

Re: gretch model number 35714 hollow body aniversary edition

: The old anniversaries in two tone green are the most available vintage gretsches. I never have seen a "gold sunburst" so I will guess you have a faded tobacco sunburst or the banana/desert yellow color. That is the rarest color I've seen on the Anniversary.
Depends on condition, neck, binding. Anywhere from $500 to $1700.

A=413.5 tuning system?

I'm a young musician who is very familiar with the concept of the A=440 tuning system, but I recently came across a guitar manufacturer who creates instruments deliberately tuned to A=413.5. Here's my problem: I'm not exactly familiar with the intervals between note frequencies (as in the rpm: e.g., A is 440 rpm), so I'm just curious how drastically different that would sound from the A in the A=440 system. A sound sample would also be helpful for comparison but I can do without. I don't get to check back here often, so it would also help if you email me your answer @ marximus16@yahoo.com.

Re: A=413.5 tuning system?

First of all, sound isn't measured in rpm (revolutions per minute) it is measured in cps (cycles per second). And, if it is 413.5 cps, then it is not an "A" because an "A" is 440 cps. It would be a little lower than an "A". It sound like the guitars are tuned a little flatter than standard that's all.

value

What is a 1975 gibson les paul gold top custom deluxe worth in fairly good condition?
please answer this question!!

Awesome E-book

You have to check this out!!!! I just found this website in a guitar newsgroup, and they have an E-book that you
can buy for $1.00 until some time in May or something like that.

I got it and I have to say for the most part it's awesome! There is a chapter on sweep picking which I'm not into,
but the chapters before that are incredible. Now I have understanding of playing cleanly.

I have been playing for a long time, and this is information that I have never been exposed to. You have to get it.
Here is the website. http://www.screamingfingers.com/betatest.html

Re: Awesome E-book

Is there a shareware version of this where I don't have to pay. I don't have a credit card....

: You have to check this out!!!! I just found this website in a guitar newsgroup, and they have an E-book that you
: can buy for $1.00 until some time in May or something like that.

: I got it and I have to say for the most part it's awesome! There is a chapter on sweep picking which I'm not into,
: but the chapters before that are incredible. Now I have understanding of playing cleanly.

: I have been playing for a long time, and this is information that I have never been exposed to. You have to get it.
: Here is the website. http://www.screamingfingers.com/betatest.html

I don't know if they take checks, but you should try contacting them and see if they do. Maybe the'll email you the book if you send them payment in the mail. Contact them and see.

: You have to check this out!!!! I just found this website in a guitar newsgroup, and they have an E-book that you

: I got it and I have to say for the most part it's awesome! There is a chapter on sweep picking which I'm not into,
: but the chapters before that are incredible. Now I have understanding of playing cleanly.

: I have been playing for a long time, and this is information that I have never been exposed to. You have to get it.

You guys check this out! This is pretty awesome. After playing with this guys book for a couple of days, I
actually understand how to build speed. I haven't done it yet, I only just started. But his concept is so f@&!*^%
simple I feel like a putz for not seeing this for my self before! He basically teaches you how to group several
notes together to create speed bursts.

It's just too simple! I could kick myself for not thinking this up myself, but I guess it's the simple things that
confuse the wise. Now that I can see the big picture I don't even need his exercises, because I can create my
own, simply because I see his concept. I can do it anywhere now, and not be stuck to my computer.

Davids… this was a buck well spent!!

I agree it is an Awesome E-book

Thanks for the heads up! I got it and I agree it's a good book. I knew these discussions boards were good for something.

Electric Bass Guitar Repair HELP

Hi everyone,

I have a fender standard Jass bass. The strap nut at
the bass of the guitar is loose and no longer screws in
tight. I unscrewed it and all this powder came out - I'm
guessing this is the body?

How can I repair this myself to prevent the screw from
eating away at the hole and to keep the strap nut tight.

thanks

Re: Electric Bass Guitar Repair HELP

: Hi everyone,

: I have a fender standard Jass bass. The strap nut at
: the bass of the guitar is loose and no longer screws in
: tight. I unscrewed it and all this powder came out - I'm
: guessing this is the body?

: How can I repair this myself to prevent the screw from
: eating away at the hole and to keep the strap nut tight.

: thanks

You can use some two part epoxy resin to fill the hole you can get this at either a hobby or home repair store, make sure it is designed to work with wood. After it is hardened drill a pilot hole in the hardened resin and re screw the nut in, just make sure the resin is hardened and the pilot hole is not to big or to small. Also put some masking tape around the hole when putting in the epoxy so you don't get any epoxy on your guitar finish.

Good Luck

Electric Bass Guitar Repair HELP

Hi I have a Fender Percuision bass and I am having a lot of problems with the internal wireing I was wondering if anyone had some kind of a lay out or something that would help me put them all back in the right spots so I dont mess it all up.
Thanks

: : Hi everyone,

: : I have a fender standard Jass bass. The strap nut at
: : the bass of the guitar is loose and no longer screws in
: : tight. I unscrewed it and all this powder came out - I'm
: : guessing this is the body?

: : How can I repair this myself to prevent the screw from
: : eating away at the hole and to keep the strap nut tight.

: : thanks

:
: You can use some two part epoxy resin to fill the hole you can get this at either a hobby or home repair store, make sure it is designed to work with wood. After it is hardened drill a pilot hole in the hardened resin and re screw the nut in, just make sure the resin is hardened and the pilot hole is not to big or to small. Also put some masking tape around the hole when putting in the epoxy so you don't get any epoxy on your guitar finish.

: Good Luck

Or you could use a wooden match and wood glue. Remove the end that lights (for obvious reasons) and squirt the glue in the hole. Insert one or more wooden matches in the hole cut off the excess. After it has dried for about 24 hours, reattach the strap nut.

hi,
i've got an encore electric guitar and on the bridge you know where the hole is on thew side for the tremolo, when i baught it half of the tremolo was inside that hole , whoever had it before me broke it and returned it to the shop i cant return it now its too late.

so basicly the screw bit of the tremolo is inside and i cant get it out because its deep inside!! help!

help me fix my guitar!! i cant use tremolo!!

: hi,
: i've got an encore electric guitar and on the bridge you know where the hole is on thew side for the tremolo, when i baught it half of the tremolo was inside that hole , whoever had it before me broke it and returned it to the shop i cant return it now its too late.

: so basicly the screw bit of the tremolo is inside and i cant get it out because its deep inside!! help!

Re: Electric Bass Guitar Repair

: I have an Ibanez sr1010 - wenge neck
the bass fell, and damaged the edge of the neck at the 1st fret - small gouge 1/4" long, 1/8"deep - but on the edge, so it does not affect playing.
Can it be repaired?
Thanks

: How can I repair this myself to prevent the screw from
: eating away at the hole and to keep the strap nut tight.

: thanks

Re: Electric Bass Guitar Repair

: I have an Ibanez sr1010 - wenge neck
the bass fell, and damaged the edge of the neck at the 1st fret - small gouge 1/4" long, 1/8"deep - but on the edge, so it does not affect playing.
Can it be repaired?
Thanks

seeking fellow jammers bris AUST

I've been playing few years now and have been listening to Ben harper,Gomez,Beth Orton,Dave Mathews, and I'm looking 4 fellow lovers of good music to try make some good music if you live in Brisbane write us an e-mail jreavey@hotmail.com

me=good as kirk one day???

Kirk Hammutt from metallica is my god.. i love him and his playing. I have real music in my blood and apparently have perfect pitch. I was womdering seeing my family are real talented musos if i could ever become a player like kirk hammut?? Talent isnt always important its the practice too.. i prastice atleast 5 times a week for half an hour. Do you think that I could be as good as him eventually?

Thanks
Natalie

Re: me=good as kirk one day???

I guess you could be...someday. It will take more than 2.5 hours of practice per week though. Professionals like Hammett play/practice 5-7 hours a day usually. That is what makes them professionals. As for your comment about talent vs. practice...if you don't have talent, the practice sessions won't do any good. Talent is the basis for musicianship. If there is no talent, you are stuck playing three-chord, bubble gum punk songs the rest of you life and that doesn't take ANY practice.

My ambition is to be better, that might be wishfull thinking, but it wont stop me from trying. Part of what makes the guitarist good is not settling for just being good, keep trying

Why don't you want to be "as good a Natalie" one day? Who cares what "Lica" (I took out the Metal because so did they) plays. Kirk Hammett sucks. All he does is play pentatonic boxes too fast. Why not try to be as good as Jeff Hannemann? Now there's a guy who can play. BTW, it's going to take more practice than that to even be ready to play somewhere other than your bed room.

kirk hammet is the best fucking guitarist there is right now, screw slayer, kirk hammett's feelings come out when he writes a solo, Jeff Hennaman and Kerry King have been playing the same solo for 20 years. it doesnt take alot of skill to write solo's purley based around the G# Locrian scale. bands like slayer have cornered themselves into playing thrash only, they cant expand as metallica have done.

: Enjoy your influences but don't live and die by them. Play your guitar, practice, jam with others.
Worry about being so good that people want to play like you. And WRITE YOUR OWN MUSIC.

Listen to the teacher of Kirk ... the best guitarist there is ... Joe Satriani !

Can anu of u teach me how to the metallica sound from Rp - 2000

Please i rally need help !!!!! ive try many time try to get the sound from rp -2000 but still i cannot get it. I hope some will write to me.

Can any of u teach me how to the metallica sound from Rp - 2000

Please i rally need help !!!!! ive try many time try to get the sound from rp -2000 but still i cannot get it. I hope some will write to me.

Can any of u teach me how to get the metallica sound from Rp - 2000

multieffect pedal

hi

i'm a biginner and i want to know what is the best multieffect pedal for me???

i think the digitech rp-200 is a good choice but i'm not sure???

please help me??

max

Re: multieffect pedal

If you are a beginner, I would stay away from any effects at this point in your playing. I am assuming that you are truly a beginner, not a beginner who has been playing for four of five months. Aside from some distortion and some reverb, effects can only hamper your development. You need to work on playing clean chords and learning some real technique. If you start playing with effects right away your sound gets too colored and any areas that need work get covered up with effects. Try waiting a little while before jumping into multi's and stuff.

Re: multieffect pedal

If you want a real super effect buy a Boss gt-6, it will last forever!

Hofner Senator Guitar Price

Hi

Would someone be able to tell me where I could find out the value of my Hofner Senator guitar, no. 10239. I have looked everywhere and can't find seem to find anything.

Many thanks
Claire

Re: Hofner Senator Guitar Price

: Hi

: Would someone be able to tell me where I could find out the value of my Hofner Senator guitar, no. 8960. I have looked everywhere and can't find seem to find any information on them and I would also like to know the year of its manufacture.

: Many thanks
: Trace

boss me-5

I'm a beginner guitarist and have been given a Boss ME-5. Only trouble is I don't know how to use it! Can anybody give me basic instruction?

Re: boss me-5

try looking here...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Boss/ME_5-01.html

Re: boss me-5

how old is that pedal??? I bought one second hand last year and I still havent quite got the hang of all the crazy crap you can do with it.

Basically, u lob on the power switch and you have your LED displaying the numbers 11. this is telling you the number of the bank. each bank will have preset effects on each of the footswitches 1 to 4. to change bank just press the B switch, and the desired number 1 to 4.

switching it on and then pressing B, then pressing 4 will change the number on the LED to 14. you will now have a new set of preset effects on each footswitch 1 to 4.

there are other banks beyond this. if you look at the buttons below the LED display. they are all numbered 1 to 4 again. by pressing say button number 3 now, the LED will change to 34, and you will have yet another bank of preset effects. now by using the B switch you can navigate the other banks 31, 32 and 33.

all in all, the B switch controls the right hand number on the LED and the 4 buttons below the LED control the left hand number on the LED.

then theres the whole thing of Editting banks and adding effects. this one will be hard to explain.

Select the bank number and footswitch number you want to edit, say footswitch number 2 on 13.

pressing the SELECT button will now allow you to change the effects for this footswitch. pressing down on footswitchs 1 to 4 will add or remove the effects corresponding to their labels. pressing down on footswitch B will add or remove a delay/reverb effect.

you can alter the prominense and chacteristics of these effects by navigating their options using the 1 to 4 buttons below the LED and the VALUE up/down buttons to the right of those.

a small red light will flash to show you which effect u are altering, and a red button will flash to the extreeme right to tell you which parametre u are changing. Remember that if the red light is flashing beside the word SUSTAIN and youre editting footswitch 3 (the equaliser), you are actually editing the HI-LEVEL parameter.

when youre finihsed your editting, press the WRITE button twice to complete your editting. this effect is now stored on whatever selection you began with, in this case footswitch 3 of bank number 13.

right, that should give you a basis to start messin around on. although youve probably figured out most of it by the time you see this post... well, Im an idiot.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.