Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Tune-o-matic bridge

what is a tune-o-matic bridge for?

work

anyone know of any internet companies who work like peoplesound.com? i'm trying to sell my instrumental acoustic guitar album, kinda dominic miller, john faye, leo coke etc. anyway does anyone know? please e-mail me. all and any help really appreciated!

matchless a/b boxes

just wondering if anyone knows where i can find these boxes or of something that is is along the same line. (ie. tubed)

Re: matchless a/b boxes

Matchless Mix box is an 'active' a/b y box, that comes with two 12ax7s with stereo input and output.

there is no other a/b y box driven by tube, and Matchless Mix box is really rare to find.

If you like i can email you a picture

: just wondering if anyone knows where i can find these boxes or of something that is is along the same line. (ie. tubed)

Re: matchless a/b boxes

: Matchless Mix box is an 'active' a/b y box, that comes with two 12ax7s with stereo input and output.

: there is no other a/b y box driven by tube, and Matchless Mix box is really rare to find.

: If you like i can email you a picture

:
: : just wondering if anyone knows where i can find these boxes or of something that is is along the same line. (ie. tubed)

I have one for sale..Like new:jformico@rochester.rr.com

"great white tab" help me

any one know where i can find great white tab or tab books please let me know as i have been informed that it is out of print. Or if anyone has a book for sale i would pay for it within reason. the songs i am looking for are rock me, house of broken love, save all your love, angel song and assorted others. please help i have been looking for a while.
Thanks, SAG

Re:

: any one know where i can find great white tab or tab books please let me know as i have been informed that it is out of print. Or if anyone has a book for sale i would pay for it within reason. the songs i am looking for are rock me, house of broken love, save all your love, angel song and assorted others. please help i have been looking for a while.
: Thanks, Stev

Re: "great white tab" help me

im looking for the tab for mista bone if you can help me that would be very nice. thank you jamie

: any one know where i can find great white tab or tab books please let me know as i have been informed that it is out of print. Or if anyone has a book for sale i would pay for it within reason. the songs i am looking for are rock me, house of broken love, save all your love, angel song and assorted others. please help i have been looking for a while.
: Thanks, AGL

TRY LOOKING IN THE RATT CELLAR YOU WILL FIND SAVE ALL YOUR LOVE AS WELL AS OTHER THINGS

hard core/ punk tabs

Please send hardcore /punk tabs

Re: hard core/ punk tabs

go to www.harmony-central.com
more tabs than you can deal with.

Dude, screw that, heres a list of the best sites known to man:
www.punkhardcore.com
www.tabcrawler.com
the best: www.guitarsrule.com

http://www.tabrehab.cjb.net

: Please send hardcore /punk tabs

Preferably: AFI, The Used, Anti-Flag, Thrice, Aerosmith

: Please send tabs of these bands: nofx, rancid, afi blink 182 ,ataris,all-american rejects,tsunami bomb,no use for a name,new found glory,mxpx,box car racer,greyfield,anti-flag etc..

FENDER DOUBLE FAT STRAT

I've just begun taking lessons and bought my first guitar. I bought an American Fender Double Fat Strat which has 2 humbucker pickups as opposed to the standard strat single coils. Now I am wondering if I made a mistake by not buying a standard Fender. Does anyone else out there play a Double Fat and, if so, do you like it? I still have 2 weeks to decide if I'm going to keep it. Are there things you can do with a standard strat that the Double Fat can't do? I'm just starting out, so I'd appreciate any opinions-- good or bad. Thanks! DJ

Re: FENDER DOUBLE FAT STRAT

: I've just begun taking lessons and bought my first guitar. I bought an American Fender Double Fat Strat which has 2 humbucker pickups as opposed to the standard strat single coils. Now I am wondering if I made a mistake by not buying a standard Fender. Does anyone else out there play a Double Fat and, if so, do you like it? I still have 2 weeks to decide if I'm going to keep it. Are there things you can do with a standard strat that the Double Fat can't do? I'm just starting out, so I'd appreciate any opinions-- good or bad. Thanks! DJ

:there is nothing one can do that the other cant. i wish i had an as good a guita like the fat strat when i first started.

Hi Dj. my name is Paul Macken and I just bought a double fat strat in August and I really like it. It all depends on your style of playing. The single coil pickups give off more of a lues or country sound or kind of a mix. Johnny Lang, Stevie Ray played with a single coil pickups. I like the humbucker pickups personally but some people think it isn't really fender style, whatever. i actually bought a seperate humbucker pickup called the Invader, Tom from blink 182 has the same one, and I had someone install it. Now it rocks and is even more raw. The reason I don't buy like a hardcore guitar is because I like fender, but my band likes to play punk. So again it's what sound you like. My advice to you is try out some single coil guitars and plug them into the amp you will be playing (the amp is important too, they all have different output sounds so make sure it sounds good on your amp)and try a bunch of different guitars. See what ya think, but the double fat is awesome. E-mail me again and ya can tell me what your decision is. Thanks paul

I just tripped across your question and need to respond. I just bought the same guitar you have this week. It is the best guitar I think I have played, ever. Im have played guitar for twelve years and have never gotten as comfortable with a new guitar as quickly as I have as this one. The pickups on this guitar are incredible, they are so versatile thanks to the 5 way switch. You can play any style on this guitar and sound great doing it. This is quite a bit late to be writing this to you, but hopefully you kept the guitar.

: I've just begun taking lessons and bought my first guitar. I bought an American Fender Double Fat Strat which has 2 humbucker pickups as opposed to the standard strat single coils. Now I am wondering if I made a mistake by not buying a standard Fender. Does anyone else out there play a Double Fat and, if so, do you like it? I still have 2 weeks to decide if I'm going to keep it. Are there things you can do with a standard strat that the Double Fat can't do? I'm just starting out, so I'd appreciate any opinions-- good or bad. Thanks! DJ

Dude, keep it! those things rawk and compare to les pauls! I know this is 2 years late but, hey :P

Dude, I have a double fat strat and I use it professionally on stage. It rocks. You should be extrememly pleased that you are fortunate enough to have that guitar for first starting out dude. Treat it well and play hard man

The double fat strat is used for playing "fatter: music. In other words music that is like heavy metal rock, like hard core stuff. Thats wut the humbuckers are for they reduce the noise. If u have noticed when your guitar is plugged in, and you are not playing, if it is on distortion, it makes a really annoying noise. Imagine it 3 times worse thats wut the standrard strat is like. However, the strat is also a great quality guitar, it is just used for playing, blues style and stuff thats not with heavy distortion.

Ok, forget that last post, that was ultra lame, the guitars to totaly rule tho :)

Luke
<a href=www.cornfedboys.dk3.com>Cya</a>

Hey, i play a double fat strat but its a squier. It's all i can afford as of i am only 16. I love it, i like it more than the standard strats. I like having a little 'window' kind of space where i pick. Thats why i like it.

~Brayden

Hendrix's amp set up

I've heard that the two input Fender tube amps (DeLuxe Reverb, Twin, etc.)
are designed so that you can run a guitar cable out from one of the NORMAL
inputs (plugging the instrument into the other NORMAL input) to one of the
inputs of the VIBRATO channel. True? And if so, what effect does
this have on the amp? Does it mean you can use both the NORMAL and VIBRATO
knobs together to control the amp's sound? Does it engage some sort of
pre-amp? My memory may be incorrect on this, but for some reason I seem
to remember hearing that Hendrix used to configure his Fenders this way.

Any guidance on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
ZD

Re: Hendrix's amp set up

Yes you can wire them together

Re: Hendrix's amp set up

Hier mate, you have to remember that after Jimi met Jim Marshall(who he was only realy mad about meeting because he had his names)he was so impressed with his amps, that he never realy used anything but marshall's.
50's for recording and 100's for live. The looping of channels was only done to get more drive, if tube sceemers had been invented, he would not have looked for it there. But all said and done, the sound did come from a combination of driving the amps to the limmit and playing with that attack that only comes with time and WANT.
If you are trying to achive Jimi's sound, you are best starting with a 50 watt marshall valve head and a 4x12 cab, if the cab wont give the sound,change it for an older one or pull a wire of one of the speekers-sounds crued but you will be there and Marshall's are man enough to take that sort of abuse.
good luck-sessionguitarman.com

Kinman Noiseless Pickups

In case you don't know. There is a guy in my home town (Brisbane Australia) who has been a guitar guru for 30 years. He pioneered guitar repairs/setups and custom building guitars. He makes the best sounding noiseless strat and tele pickups on the market. AVN's he calls them. Actual Vintage Noiseless. The name says it all but Don't take my word for it. Check 'em out. You won't be disappointed.
ps I'm priveleged to have 3 of Chris's custom electric guitars cos he stopped making them about 6- 7 years ago to concentrate on his pickups.

best guitarist

why do people always roll out Eddie Van Halen...
great guitar work isn't who can play their scales and modes the fastest or loudest. Real rock attitude comes from deep within....so I'd have to say the greatest rock guitarist of all time is the guy from poison..haha..and alanis morissette is the greatest harmonica player too.

Re: best guitarist

Well,I'll try to answer this.Eddie Van Halen ushered in a new era of guitar playing.With razor sharp pick articulation,fret-board tapping,and screaming harmonics,he took it to the next level.Add to that his fret-board knowledge,made him a deadly MOFO! Also,the style of music he played gave him little time to really get soulful.I like players who are a little sloppy!But for what Eddie V. did,he was great at it. Remember,scales and modes are ONLY FRAME-WORKS for improvising.What you do with them is totally up to you!
Good Luck

Wrist Problems

For anyone who has experienced wrist problems, it's a real drag. I'm a guitarist and a massage therapist who has had severe tendonitis a few times. If you go to my site you can get further information on how I prevent and treat carpal tunnel syndrome. http://www.circle-of-life.net/wristrx.html

MESA_BOOGIE

i heargood things about the mesa rectoverb combo amp. If anyone has this amp i would like to know if its all that. I play through a crate right know and it sucks without my art extreme. Is the mesa good enough by it self to get the pantera old metallica grind with fateswarning clean solo sound. helloooooooo

Re: MESA_BOOGIE

I own one and it's incredible! It sounds huge as a closed-back (it can be open-back too), since it's only 50 watts, you do get some power tube distortion (that's what you want for grind) without having to use extreme volumes like on Marshalls ...and you would love the feel of real tube distortion after using ART distortion.

You will need a good effects unit (with eq and noise reduction) in it's loop to get the different sounds you want, the eq on the amp is just not enough to really get rid of the mids for the Pantera tone; it has to be a +4db unit though, something made for pro audio, a TC or Lexicon, or even a Rocktron, but forget Boss, ART or DigiTech, you'll need something without a preamp! this amp's got a great tube-driven effects loop.

You'll need suitable high-output pickups too, something fat and warm on the neck (for that clean solo sound) and something crisp and powerfull, without too much mids, on the bridge...

I get pretty close to Petrucci's tone with this amp, eventhough I use a very unsuitable (-10dB) Boss GX-700, I'll change it for a TC G-Major whenever that comes out.

If you live in NASHVILLE please read this....

This is a longshot, I know, but a good friend had his guitar stolen in Nashville several nights ago.

In the hopes that somebody might see it in a guitar or pawn shop, I've made the internet equivalent of a "lost dog" poster.

http://www.romeohood.com/dave/

Please take a look and forward the link to anybody you think might come into contact with the guitar. Thanks for your time. Jim

Re: If you live in NASHVILLE please read this....

scroll down somebody has what sounds like the same type of guitar listed here and wants to know what its worth.

About Establishing a Home Recording Studio

Hi Everyone,
I'm very much eager to establish a home recording studio
at my residence. That's why, I want to know what are the
necessary equipments and their price-list. So if someone
can help, please send a message to my e-mail address
with details specifications.

value of guitar i own

I have just purchased a ESP LTD MH-300, It is neck-thru, floyd rose, 2 emg hz humbuckers, transparent black cherry flamed maple top, with cream body binding and white neck and headstock binding. Also, it has cool side block inlays like the older esp horizon series. I think that esp has discontinued this version and replaced it with the MH-301 which the only difference i see is that the top is quilted instead of flamed. the retail is in the $800 range i was told, they sold for around $600-$650 through musicians friend and other mail order places. If anyone could help me on the current value of this guitar, as far as dealer cost and what a music store would offer for it or maybe what it should bring on e-bay. NOTE: THIS IS A BRAND NEW GUITAR WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY IN ORIGINAL PACKING, PAPERWORK AND PROTECTIVE CELOPHANE ON THE PLASTIC.
THANKS, SAG

bluesjamtracks

I;m looking for Free blues jams too
play along wiht it is hard to get it in holland
please help
dusty

value of guitar i own

I have just purchased a ESP LTD MH-300, It is neck-thru, floyd rose, 2 emg hz humbuckers, transparent black cherry flamed maple top, with cream body binding and white neck and headstock binding. Also, it has cool side block inlays like the older esp horizon series. I think that esp has discontinued this version and replaced it with the MH-301 which the only difference i see is that the top is quilted instead of flamed. the retail is in the $800 range i was told, they sold for around $600-$650 through musicians friend and other mail order places. If anyone could help me on the current value of this guitar, as far as dealer cost and what a music store would offer for it or maybe what it should bring on e-bay. NOTE: THIS IS A BRAND NEW GUITAR WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY IN ORIGINAL PACKING, PAPERWORK AND PROTECTIVE CELOPHANE ON THE PLASTIC, IT HAS NO CASE WITH IT

THANKS, SAG

Re: value of guitar i own

Played those axes.I thought they were very,very good. It's a shame you're selling it,but I can't afford it. I saw them going for approx.$650.00.Wouldn't take it to a dealer though,they won't give you a fair price.A player,on the other hand,might give you a better deal. Since he/she might really love the thing and keep it.
Good Luck
P.S.ESP values vary from time to time,I'd try the bay.

Re: value of guitar i own

The difference between the MH-300 and 301 is that, along with the quilted top, it has a five position pickup selector that has two coil splitting positions.

tablature

can someone please help me with great white tablature.
see my post below which is dated 04/05/01 at 11:43.
any help would be appreciated
THANKS, SAG

Laney LC30 problem

My LC30 keeps blowing power fuses, anyone come across this before? is it a diy repair? please say yes.

G...

Re: Laney LC30 problem

I had the same problem at one point... It means that one of the valves has gone or is just about to go.
Cheers
Graeme

Re: Laney LC30 problem

: My LC30 keeps blowing power fuses, anyone come across this before? is it a diy repair? please say yes.

: G...

You may have a quick blow fuse fitted in the fuseholder at the back of the amp. if you change this to an anti-surge fuse of the same rating it may cure your problem.
good luck.
scotty

Practice Partner

Dear Fellow Guitarists:

I am looking for a intermediate/advanced practice partner to play together at a mutually preferred time in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA area.

If anybody interested out there please reply to this message ...

Thanks guys!

Are you in Cincinnatians? Please read ...

Dear Fellow Guitarists:

I am looking for a intermediate/advanced practice partner to play together at a mutually preferred time in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA area.

If anybody interested out there please reply to this message ...

Thanks guys!

guitar tabs

I've been looking for the guitar tabs for oh
oh jaane jaana. I hope someone can help me out.

chord

Does anybody know which string is the Am...or Dm..please it's 4 the song by Arron Louios and Fred Durst Outside...

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.