Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

chords

Hi there, today I heard about a program which is able to convert MP3/WAV into chord!! Does anyone know this program? Please let me know

Bas

RE: SCHALLER LOCKING TUNERS

I TOOK DELIVERY OF A 2001 AMERICAN DELUXE FAT STRAT LAST WEEK AND THE SCHALLER LOCKING TUNERS WERE A BENEFIT I WANTED WITH THIS GUITAR. THE FENDER BOOKLET SAYS THAT THE STRING IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE WRAPPED AROUND THE POST; THREAD, PULL TAUGHT AND TUNE. I HAVE FOUND THIS NOT TO BE THE CASE THE GUITAR WILL NOT STAY IN TUNE. I'VE USED WRAPS OF 1.5 TO 2 AND THIS SEEMS TO HELP. ANY INPUT ON THESE TUNERS WOULD BE GREAT.

Re: RE: SCHALLER LOCKING TUNERS

i found these tuners to hold tune excellent. they came stock on my ernie ball/musicman axis super sport. i don't wrap the string at all i just put it thru tight, lock it, cut it off and tune it up and it holds great. i rarely tune.

newbie needs help

alright, i'd like some advice on starting out playing guitar. the most common thing people say is get a friend to teach you or something like that. but i dont have any friends/family or anything who play...so that dosen't help me at all. and i'd like some advice on actually getting a guiter....i can spend about $600 on everything...including guitar, amp and anything else i need....i would play mostly metal/nu-metal if that helps at all...and btw i'm only 13 so i get a lot of people saying you're just too young or something like that when i ask for advice (maybe i should just not say that at all)...well anyway you probably always get these same kind of questions all the time...but anyone willing to help me i appreciate it. -thanks, J

Help for the Newbie

Although learning from a friend can get you down the road, learning from a qualified professional is the best way to go. I'm not a teacher. I have tried to learn from others. Not nearly as effective as learning from a teacher who knows how to show you what you want to learn. Also if you can get a good book and learning aid like the Don't Fret Note Map you can teach yourself lots. Then when you go to a teacher you get more bang for your buck.

Re: newbie needs help

O.K. well I'm 40 I just started again about four years ago after aborting when I was 12. Long story. You are not too young, I wish I had hung in there at 12. You are going to hear all kinds of stuff. "Your too young, your fingers are to short, you don't have enough money, blah, blah, blah" I have five, I think, axes now. My best one is a $150.00 Fender Squire. O.K. everyone else just puked. But....I happenned across this thing at Guitar Center. It was back around behind the amps. It was obviously a floor demo and was obviously shop worn, meaning to me, that the sales guys were using it to demo amps and that it probably worked pretty good. O.K. the pickups are nothing to write home about but the action is good. The neck is straight. The body is mahogony plywood which is not as lively as you would ideally want but it is consistent. I dialed in the neck myself and got the bridge set up pretty good myself too. I like it. I also mix & match string gauges to get the sounds I like. Then I read this story about Clapton putting his Blackie together out of like the best parts from a bunch of axes he got for like $125.00 ea. in Nashville. Who knows? The amp I bought with the squire was a $90.00 Crate practice amp with reverb and some distortion. It ain't a marshall but it's pretty loud. Last year for $35.00 I picked up this really cool Bogen tube PA amp at a swap meet. I didn't think it would work, but I got it home, plugged it in and I had instant tube sounds. So I scrounged up a 12" speaker cab on sale for like $100.00 and I now have a passable little tube rig. O.K. so what's the point from the old fart that plays like SH@&? Take it slow, stay with it, don't believe everything you hear, and THINK. You'll do fine. Oh, I read about a lot of guys just learning with a book of cords or two and a lot of work trying to copy what they hear on CDs of stuff they like. A few lessons can make a huge difference too. Oh, read the magazines. There's an amazing amount of stuff in them.

Guitar Parts

I'f your looking for guitar parts try Warmoth,WD Music Products or Stewart-McDonald.Stay away from Allparts in Houston, TX,they sell foreign made parts at inflated prices.

Re: Guitar Parts

Stew-Mac isn't inflated prices?

DGStomp

If anybody out there is currently using a DGStomp by Yamaha, I need to find out how easy it is to change patches on the fly-I hear they sound great, but are they practical for live use? PLEASE let me know!

Re: DGStomp

I am currently using the DG Stomp in front of my Marshall VS265 combo. This unit is a breeze to use. The only drawback I see is that if you use more than 3 patches (Why would you!) in one song, you wont be able too change banks fast enough. The switch bank function is a little slow. I really can't see where this would be a problem though. Who the hell is going to use that many patches in one tune? I found that I only use about 3 patches for an entire gig. I highly recommend this unit. The sound is sooooo much better than the POD unit.

Re: DGStomp

It is very easy, no problem at all!

Note Maps for Acoustics and Electrics

If you need help finding the notes on your guitar neck check out http://www.dontfret.com. It'll show you where it's at.

I need some lessons!

I am 40. I've been playing, sorta, for about 4 years. I'm stuck on some pentatonic scales that I ad lib O.K. and I have a couple of Counting Crows tunes to the point where they are not making the dog run out of the room! Starting to work on a couple of Paul Simon tunes. I am working on this about an hour a day. I like it even if I don't sound great. It's fun! So I need some help to get unstuck. I am in Huntington Beach CA.

Wiring Marshall amps together

I have four inputs on my 100watt Marshall head, can I wire them all together using a 4to1 1/4 inch cable directly to my guitar or is this too much overload? What can I do to lower the overall wattage coming out of my amp? Like turn it into a 50watt amp. Can somebody help me please?

Re: Wiring Marshall amps together

There is no benefit from using all the inputs.
Marshall sell a device that goes between amp and 4x12, I think called a power brake, which lets you screw the amp up but cuts the signal to cab.
Hope that helps.

G...

Yes take two of the EL34 valves out. This effectively halves your output.

But you can't just pull out any two. They have to be 1 each, a push and a pull or it won't work. I believe, and someone can correct me on this, but I think it is either the outside two or the inside two (take your pick) AND you must adjust the impedance selector too. I can't remember which way it goes (up or down in impedance).

Dude you can do it just, dont turn it up loud untill you know it works and get somw one else to try it first to make sure you wont die k?

boss gt3 - help!

boss gt3 - help!

This popular thread has been given its own page : boss gt3 - help!

Having frequent pain in my arm when playing...

..is there any way to make it easier, to eliminate this, it get's quite bad, so much as that it makes stretching for other notes difficult. Anyone else have this problem?

Fender Stratocaster serial # starts with Z???

I bought this used and I can't find the serial # in any Fender number lists. Made in U.S.A. on front of peghead, serial # ZO0051219 on back top of peghead. Can anybody tell me when this was made?

Re: Fender Stratocaster serial # starts with Z???

: I bought this used and I can't find the serial # in any Fender number lists. Made in U.S.A. on front of peghead, serial # ZO0051219 on back top of peghead. Can anybody tell me when this was made?

: : I bought this used and I can't find the serial # in any Fender number lists. Made in U.S.A. on front of peghead, serial # ZO0051219 on back top of peghead. Can anybody tell me when this was made?

Hi there I just purchased the same and was unable to identify the year. If you dolearn of such, please let me know and I'll do the same if I learn anything.

I also have one with Z# serial number. I also would like to know. Just wonder if you have found the answer yet?

: I bought this used and I can't find the serial # in any Fender number lists. Made in U.S.A. on front of peghead, serial # ZO0051219 on back top of peghead. Can anybody tell me when this was made?

PRS guitar Parts

Does anyone out there know of how i may be ablbe to get a hold of some Paul Reed Smith guitar parts. I have bought an Ibanez Sca220 and I wand to put on the locking tuners by PRS (black posts, chrome knobs) as welll as considering getting the crome stop tailpiece with the preset intonation. Please help me and answer my question as to where to get these parts and prices if anyone knows. Thank You

Yamaha YSG

I have a ysg but no whammy bar can anyone help

Re: Yamaha YSG

help wit waht?????

first of all dumbass can a whammy bar go ont it. and if it can GO BUY THE DAMN THING

yea what sean said!!

: first of all dumbass can a whammy bar go ont it. and if it can GO BUY THE DAMN THING

You cant buy them and Ive got one

I have a YSG (Blue - Black sunburst gold hardware locking machines, full service history etc.) And it has a whammy bar which is easily removed by loosening the nut that holds it in. Do I win a prize

dimensions

what are the dimesions for a fender RocPro 700

Azn Guitar Players Needed

Me and my cuzin are starting an AZN band and we need a guitarist...... email me asap if u are azn and a guitar player that leaves in california......... even better Redondo Beach or Montery Park........

Starfield

Hi there!
I have a Starfield America with 2 Semour-Duncun Hums and a 3-way Telecaster switch in it. How can i wire it?

rp1 blackouts

Hi there
i own an rp1 but lately i've stopped using it 'cause suddenly black out and returns to the begining like when you connected for the first time...
What could be happened with it?
German
City of Panama, Panama

ARE HOHNER GUITARS GOOD

What do u guys think of hohner acoustics-my friend wants to sell me one for 120 bucks.

Re: ARE HOHNER GUITARS GOOD

they are good but not worht 120 they r worth about 30

Re: ARE HOHNER GUITARS GOOD

I bought a Hohner Marlin electric for £30. it's pretty good, so I suppose Hohner's r ok.

Guitar shops - San Francisco/ Las Vegas ??

Hi,
I'm visiting San Francisco and Vegas soon and am hoping to get a good deal on a lefty gibson (or similar).
Can anyone tell me the best shops in these places?

e-mail me please - martin@martinbennett.net

Re: Guitar shops - San Francisco/ Las Vegas ??

: Hi,
: I'm visiting San Francisco and Vegas soon and am hoping to get a good deal on a lefty gibson (or similar).
: Can anyone tell me the best shops in these places?

: e-mail me please - martin@martinbennett.net

: Can anyone tell me where to find a guitar shop with bass guitars in the san francisco area?
rgoodmaan@hotmail.com

: Hi,
: I'm visiting San Francisco next year and am hoping to get a good deal on a gibson (or similar).
: Can anyone tell me the best shops in these places?

: e-mail me please - martin@martinbennett.net

hey im from australia and we will be traveling to las vegas soon i was hopin if anyone could tell me any good guitar shops there and cheap places i am lookin for an electric fender

do telecoustics play only acoustic, or electric also?

Re: do telecoustics play only acoustic, or electric also?

both

where's stevie ray?

i heard he is not in the industry anymore, why? he seems to be one of the greatest guitarist also

Re: where's stevie ray?

If you mean Stevie Ray Vaughan, he was killed in a helicopter crash about 12 years ago,

Jim

: i heard he is not in the industry anymore, why? he seems to be one of the greatest guitarist also

anyone here using EMG81 on their ibanez rg-550 or 570?

afthe replacing the bridge pickup, wat do u do with the passive pickup on the neck? thanks

Re: anyone here using EMG81 on their ibanez rg-550 or 570?

: afthe replacing the bridge pickup, wat do u do with the passive pickup on the neck? thanks

destroy the fucker!!!!!!! with copious amounts of C4 explosives

damaged the truss rod screw , wat should i do?

i have damaged the truss rod screw, the screw head is hard to be screwed anymore..what should i do?

Re: damaged the truss rod screw , wat should i do?

: You dont say why you need to adjust it?

It may be at the end of it's travel.

Unless you have a major problem with action/fret buzz,
leave well alone or, let a pro adjust it.

G...

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.