Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Aussie Players

Hi I'm an Aussie, as for a great guitar player few would agree. I'm curious to know why you are interested. I know Quite a few excellent guitarists but if by great you mean virtuosity i'm afraid I can't help. Are you doing a school assignment or something?
If your looking for great Aussie guitars,i can help I'm at
fishy@intercoast.com.au
drop me a line if your interested in checking out a couple of awesome custom guitars i made myself
ta Phil

Re: Aussie Players

Hi I'm looking for some Bernard Knezevic for his uncle.
That's why I will wirte in my lenguage!!
Ako si ti Bernard,koji ima oca Nikolu, majku Katicu i setstru Nataliju onda si ti taj.
Zamolio me je kum da za njegovog kolegu pokusam da mu pronadjem brata i njegove...
On je sad u ratu izbegao u Hrvatsku a brat mu u Australiju... mislim da se covjek zobe Marko.

Ako ste vi ti koje trazi javite mi se na mail.
lovretam@hotmail.com

Pozdrav Martin

Why no LED light on DUNLOP 535Q CRY BABY WAH?!!!

Why no LED light on DUNLOP 535Q CRY BABY WAH?!!!

This popular thread has been given its own page : Why no LED light on DUNLOP 535Q CRY BABY WAH?!!!

Brian Setzer HOLLOWBODY GUITAR

Setzer plays a Gretch Hollowbody Archtop guitar at relatively high volumes, without any noticeable feedback problems. How does he do it? I play an archtop
electric (Epiphone Regent) at normal volumes and feedback thru a Peavey tube amp is impossible to avoid. Does anyone know his solution to elimanating feedback? Thanks

Re: Brian Setzer HOLLOWBODY GUITAR

I presume you're not talking about microphonic
feedback due to poorly insulate pickups. Ted
Nugent used to use a hollowbody Byrdland at
astounding volume levels. Good control of the
volume knobs seemed to be his trick. I assume
stage positioning helped, but as he used to run
around like a mad bastard, who knows. He had
(has?) amazing control over harmonic feedback.
Technique, experience, control...

hey everyone

PHUCK YALL
im movin to a diffrent web site so i mite not be hear toooften from now on
i mite b back who knows cuz my modems so damn slow!!!
c ya lata

Re: hey everyone

"Oh no! Please don't go!" Yawn...
Do we care?

Gibson Smartwood for $650? Good?

My local used music dealer has a Gibson Smartwood for $605. Is this a good deal?

Re: Gibson Smartwood for $650? Good?

: My local used music dealer has a Gibson Smartwood for $605. Is this a good deal?

: Smartwood fartwood. Gibson just discovered a new tonewood?? I doubt it. I'm SKEPTICAL of ANY Gibson.

Re: Gibson Smartwood for $650? Good?

: My local used music dealer has a Gibson Smartwood for $605. Is this a good deal?

Where is it? I want to buy it if you dont. Email me at guitar@sedband.com

Bassist/Harmony vox needed in Ft. Worth

"Contemporary Acoustic" trio seeks DEPENDABLE bassist
Singer/guitarist/harmonica tootler & hand percussionist have $$$ gigs lined up, but our (former) bassist had his own agenda!...Need dependable, solid, versatile bassist IMMEDIATELY (if not sooner!)...prefer fret-less, but open-minded...harmony vocals a definite "+"...prefer female over 25, but open-minded...rehearse in west Dallas...needs dependable transportation, functional equiptment, "pro" attitude!...We perform (primarily) in non-alcohol type venues (restaurants, coffeehouses, festivals, etc.)
See URL for more details...

Music Style(s): Blues, Folk, Jazz, Other, Rock

Name: Terry Allan Hall <tahall@flash.net>
Phone: (817) 485-7052
URL: geocities.com/terryallanhall/
Submitted at: 2001-04-12 05:20:52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TalentSouth.com Talent Directory

Hello fellow guitarists. If you have a band and a web pageand in the South US, get it listed at the TalentSouth.com talent directory. Also models, actors, boards and more.

Thanks!
Tim
http://www.talentsouth.com

Mesa Boogie prices!!!!

I want to buy an amp, a mesa boogie amp, that is. I really don´t care what the price is, as long as I know it´s a fair one. Since I really don´t know the prices of these amps, cause I´m from a part of Mexico where you don´t have easy access to this kind of info, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I´m considering buying either a Triple rectifier, a Nomad 100, or a Road King.... Also some retro in how these really sound, would be good. I do all sorts of experimentar music, so I´m not interested in getting any particular sound, but I do want power, crunch, clearness and warmth in the sound. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Re: Mesa Boogie prices!!!!

: I want to buy an amp, a mesa boogie amp, that is. I really don´t care what the price is, as long as I know it´s a fair one. Since I really don´t know the prices of these amps, cause I´m from a part of Mexico where you don´t have easy access to this kind of info, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I´m considering buying either a Triple rectifier, a Nomad 100, or a Road King.... Also some retro in how these really sound, would be good. I do all sorts of experimentar music, so I´m not interested in getting any particular sound, but I do want power, crunch, clearness and warmth in the sound. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Email me at mrusso@healthObjects.com and I will update you on my new Tripple Rectifier setup (I love this amp). I have been playing 27+years and play modern rock (Foo Fighters, Alien Ant Farm, etc.) as well as progressive rock (i.e. Yes, Journey, Kansas)

Listen to me right now Man.Ive been rockin for a long time and their is nothing better than a rectifier.....period single double triple youre in luck.....any will be the best you ever heard.nomad isnt my fav but it is better than most get a rectifier

: I want to buy an amp, a mesa boogie amp, that is. I really don´t care what the price is, as long as I know it´s a fair one. Since I really don´t know the prices of these amps, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I´m considering buying either a Triple rectifier, or a Double Rectifier.

I just bought a Triple Recto a few nights ago, and since I have been messing with it, playing all night long. The tone of this monster is unbelieveable, the high end and low end are very versatile and you can get pretty much any sound out of this thing. The crunch is pretty weak is it's turned at low volumes, but you can get the distortion of Mudvayne if it's cranked up a bit. Go with the Triple.

: I want to buy an amp, a mesa boogie amp, that is. I really don´t care what the price is, as long as I know it´s a fair one. Since I really don´t know the prices of these amps, cause I´m from a part of Mexico where you don´t have easy access to this kind of info, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I´m considering buying either a Triple rectifier, a Nomad 100, or a Road King.... Also some retro in how these really sound, would be good. I do all sorts of experimentar music, so I´m not interested in getting any particular sound, but I do want power, crunch, clearness and warmth in the sound. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Ok... what model do you want ? Solid Stae or Tube ? New or Used ?

: : I want to buy an amp, a mesa boogie amp, that is. I really don´t care what the price is, as long as I know it´s a fair one. Since I really don´t know the prices of these amps, cause I´m from a part of Mexico where you don´t have easy access to this kind of info, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I´m considering buying either a Triple rectifier, a Nomad 100, or a Road King.... Also some retro in how these really sound, would be good. I do all sorts of experimentar music, so I´m not interested in getting any particular sound, but I do want power, crunch, clearness and warmth in the sound. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Ok... what model do you want ? Solid Stae or Tube ? New or Used ?

triple rectifier head

Kay Guitars

Kay Guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Kay Guitars

I'm searching for the Framus 12 string used by John Lennon on the Help album and Movie.

I am searching for the Framus 12 string acoustic used by John Lennon on the Help album and movie. I don't know the model just the make ( Framus). I am looking to buy this. I am on E-bay constantly searching and have come close but no cigar. Can anyone HELP !!!!

Re: I'm searching for the Framus 12 string used by John Lennon on the Help album and Movie.

got 1 4 sale model 5/024 blonde ser no 22782 1965 model exact dna match to lennons open to serious offers

guitar as a gift

hello!
i want to give my husband a guitar on his birthday.i want to know which would be the best guitar to give.i donot know anything about guitars,though.if you could give me an approximate idea of the different ranges of guitars ,i would be obliged.
thank you.
payal

Re: guitar as a gift

Hi Payal.

If this is your husband first look at playing guitar, I recommend a classical nylon string guitar. They're much easier on the fingers, have a wider neck which makes it easier to deal with chords, and they have a wonderful sound. These days, you can get a very good guitar for a few hundred dollars. Price isn't always directly related to quality, but don't skimp if you can afford it. The better the guitar, the easier it will be to play, the longer your husband will remain enthusiastic.

For more on the subject, check out my site http://www.guitarforbeginners.com

All the best,

Kirk

Lead Slide Guitar

Hello all. I have started a new mailing list on lead
slide guitar. To join us, send a blank email to:

LeadSlideGuitar-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Ray Langley

Takamine F-349 (Martin D-17, lawsuit model)

Takamine F-349 (Martin D-17, lawsuit model)

This popular thread has been given its own page : Takamine F-349 (Martin D-17, lawsuit model)

Les Paul's

There are some obvious differences in the Les Paul models from Gibson. But if you check the info on the web page, there is virtually no difference between a Les Paul Studio, a Standard, and a Custom, among others.. Does anyone know what makes the difference between these guitars????..... I own a Les Paul Studio model, and I´m more than happy with it. Still, I would like to know, why some people prefer the others. Is it just looks??....

Re: Les Paul's

I second that! Sorry to post a question to your question but I am in search of a good Les Paul and am totaly confused. Obviously price will get you a better paint job etc. but if you don't really care about the cosmetics which is the best to go for? Is a Specisl Junior HB good enough?

Re: Les Paul's

<I second that! Sorry to post a question to your question but I am in search of a good Les Paul and am totaly confused. Obviously price will get you a better paint job etc. but if you don't really care about the cosmetics which is the best to go for? Is a Specisl Junior HB good enough?>

There is actually a lot of difference between Les Paul model's. The shape or structure of the body adds or alters the tone in a different way, the pickups and even wood of the body can do that. If a Les Paul has a compound radius fingerboard (slight curve in neck), it might have better playability, and also different nut sizes (neck width). Paint obviously won't alter the tone, but wood will. And sometimes people pay extract for the paint, or a nice natural wood. The bridge or tailpiece can change the tone slightly and can stop the guitar from going out of tune. Hope this helps.

Blocking in a floyd rose...

what do i need to know to do it? i hear that it doesn't necessarily have to be done professionally, as long as i do it well. so if anyone has any words of wisdom, please share.

rock on
Raoul Duke

Re: Blocking in a floyd rose...

by the way, by "Blocking in" i mean permanently sealing the routed area with a block of wood.

power

death.power.protection.www.gravedirt.com

Electar-4 PA System

At musicyo.com there is an Electar-4 PA System for around $160. It seems pretty good, and I hear Gibson owns Electar. I was just curious if anybody could give me some stories of personal experience with Electar, good or bad. Also, I've never bought from musicyo, anything I should be warned of?

Thanks

Tune down 1/2 step

I've just started playing the guitar, what does this mean?

Tune down 1/2 step

I've just started playing the guitar, what does this mean?

Re: Tune down 1/2 step

it just means instead of tuning standard (E,A,D,G,B,E), you tune everything one half step down (Eb,Ab,E,Gb,Bb,Eb).
incase you don't know, those little "b"'s are flat signs. if none of this makes sense to you, you should do a little research on the net or ask someone you know.

I hope this helped...

Rock on
Raoul Duke

sorry, that last tuning should be (Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb)...n/t

Re: Tune down 1/2 step

: I've just started playing the guitar, what does this mean?
As mentioned in the other entries, you tune all six down a 1/2 step. I may be wrong, but I've
heard this phrased as concert tuning. Most of blues players and some neo classical metal
players tune this way. Yngwie, Blackmore, JiMi,Stievie Ray.
Just info have fun...

if used correctly, sounds a lil darker, i.e. Slayer...n/t

: I've just started playing the guitar, what does this mean?

sevendust tone

hey all!
i got a marshall 65 wtt amp and a Boss me-30 and i need a good Sevendust sound..help me
thanks

good wah pedal?

What would be a good wah pedal to buy? I want a decent one that I could be able to use in public but not one that costs through the roof for. I am trying to stick in the $100-150 range but am willing to go higher if it really makes that much of a difference. I have no experience with wah pedals so any input from experienced guitarists (10+ years) is greatly appreciated. Any specs on what I should look for (physical construction, sound quality, electronic parts used, etc.) in a good wah pedal is also appreciated as I have effectively no knowledge of what makes a good pedal.

Thanks.

Re: good wah pedal?

you can try the original dunlop cry baby or original morley wah, but if you want a little different tone try the morley bad horsie wah, its got a better sweep, but you have to get used to it, since you have no wah experience it should be easy to pick up. latta

yes, the original crybaby is my fav. i know someone who's had his for over 10 years (13-15 maybe), and it still works...granted, it need a thorough cleaning and probably a new potentiometer, but its still good. that's only like $70 at guitar center, or you can one-up to the Crybaby 535 Q WaH (it's got adjustable range and sweet and stuff like that) for somewhere in the $150 range,

rock on
the Duke

: yes, the original crybaby is my fav. i know someone who's had his for over 10 years (13-15 maybe), and it still works...granted, it need a thorough cleaning and probably a new potentiometer, but its still good. that's only like $70 at guitar center, or you can one-up to the Crybaby 535 Q WaH (it's got adjustable range and sweet and stuff like that) for somewhere in the $150 range,

: rock on
: the Duke
: VOX

What do people think of the Fulltone Clyde wah? It's kind of pricey at $280 dollars, but they are built out of metal instead of plastic and look like they have better parts and might be worth the money. I would rather spend more on one now that would last five years than buy one now that's half that and then have to buy another one two years down the road because it's worn out and built like crap. It would end up costing me the same.

: What would be a good wah pedal to buy? I want a decent one that I could be able to use in public but not one that costs through the roof for. I am trying to stick in the $100-150 range but am willing to go higher if it really makes that much of a difference. I have no experience with wah pedals so any input from experienced guitarists (10+ years) is greatly appreciated. Any specs on what I should look for (physical construction, sound quality, electronic parts used, etc.) in a good wah pedal is also appreciated as I have effectively no knowledge of what makes a good pedal.

: Thanks.

The original cry-bay (dunlap model) . It has been around for a lifetime and a day. Metal
construction. Durable. I have been playing this pedal for 28 years. Have always loved the
sound. Has a nice enough sweep that is not too overbearing like the morleys might tend to
be. They are around $180...I have seen them for less. ...enjoy...

I'd suggest a Morley Wah/Volume pedal, great pedal and the switch is along side of the pedal, so you don't have to step all the way down on the pedal to turn it on. It runs around 150 i think brand new. And the wah has a level knob, which is a feature I love. When the wah is off, it's a volume pedal, which is also useful.

Later,
Adam

Classical guitar modifiacation ?

Having played acoustic steel strung guitar I'm now learning more classical technique on a Yamaha CG100A classical guitar. The action of the classical is a lot higher than on my steel string and I would like to lower the action if possible. Is it possible to lower the bridge for better action on this guitar and if so what would it cost ot have this kind of work done.

Best regards Steve

Re: Classical guitar modifiacation ?

Steve,

The action on a classical guitar is necessarily higher than it is on steel string. That being said, it's not that hard usually to adjust the action. The saddle (the long piece of bone or nowadays usually plastic that's set into the bridge) can be lowered quite quickly and easily by a competent repairman with a disc sander (the saddle is removed and the bottom ground down). At the store where I do repairs, I usually charge about $10 or so for it.

: Having played acoustic steel strung guitar I'm now learning more classical technique on a Yamaha CG100A classical guitar. The action of the classical is a lot higher than on my steel string and I would like to lower the action if possible. Is it possible to lower the bridge for better action on this guitar and if so what would it cost ot have this kind of work done.

: Best regards Steve

Amp prices??

I want to buy an amp, a mesa boogie amp, that is. I really don´t care what the price is, as long as I know it´s a fair one. Since I really don´t know the prices of these amps, cause I´m from a part of Mexico where you don´t have easy access to this kind of info, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I´m considering buying either a Triple rectifier, a Nomad 100, or a Road King.... Also some comments about how these really sound, would be usefull. I do all sorts of experimental music, so I´m not interested in getting any particular sound, but I do want power, crunch, clearness and warmth in the sound. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.