Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2001

Advertisement

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Beginner

: I'm a beginner as far as the guitar is concerned and I have learned a few chords from some friends or whatever, but I wannna great and to do so I need to get the basics down. Does anyone know the best web site or can anyone suggest a book for someone in my shoes?

I strongly suggest you to find an instructor. Books and info in the web is the choice if you don't have the money, but soon you will need someone with experience in both playing and teaching to guide your way.
Last month (july) somebody posted a link, the post says "beginners site" or something. Try there, seems to be a cool page.
Putting the basics down requires time, much time, and patience, and work... don't expect much for the first months.
Good luck!!!

you should check out <a href="http://www.guitar.com">www.guitar.com</a>

I'd recommend an instructor- they will explain basics to you and it is very important to get these learnt very well. PLaying the electric is sure easier as the fretboard is thinner and you don't have to stretch fingers so much. If you want to compose a lot, learn chords.After about 2 years you could probably start writing simple songs, but it is really about how much effort you put in: and how much you are devoted to playing. I have a friend who's been having an instructor for 3 months and he is good, he composes music. I've been learning for 8 years of my life (i'm 17 now) and i compose, improvise to other music and play Satriani and Mark Knopfler lots. I've taught myself electric guitar.

gibson clasical

looking for a valuation for a gibson classical circa 1960/62 serial no 182876

Re: gibson clasical

the value is appx 200.00 US not a collectible

hi

hi im tomDeLonge at blik182 and if i can learn i can teach you now guys so e mail me and say me what i can do for go at this school?

Re: hi

Hi I'm a 16 year old kid and I bet your 16 too because your obviously not fucking in blink182
and you should learn to spell because half of your post doesn't make sense you stupid fuckhead

Could you post tab for all the small things please
I'd love to learn it.

: hi im tomDeLonge at blik182 and if i can learn i can teach you now guys so e mail me and say me what i can do for go at this school?
fucked up

Hi Tom, I just started playing guitar a year ago.so far I'm really frustrated.Can you recommend some practice excercises to help the cramps in my hand?P.S. you are every womans dream of a real man.Keep up the good work!

me chuaparian un rato ala verga y de paso me traduen esta apagiana que no entiendo un carajo??

hi

hi im tomDeLonge at blik182 and if i can learn i can teach you now guys so e mail me and say me what i can do for go at this school?

Who cares, YOU ARE CRAP!!!

hi, i like your new album, teach the tab.please

: hi im tomDeLonge at blik182 and if i can learn i can teach you now guys so e mail me and say me what i can do for go at this school?

hi, i like your new album, teach the tab.please

WANTED: Fender strat decal

I am looking for a strat logo for my first project guitar. I would like the spaghetti lettering style that is silver in color (I'm not sure which year that is). My guitar will consist of a semi-hollow strat style body from Warmoth. It has an flame maple top in cherry sunburst over a alder body with a pearloid pickguard. I am also getting a birdseye maple neck. Please email me if you know where I can get a hold of one.

Re: WANTED: Fender strat decal

You can find the Repro Fender Decal at Dave guitar shop. http://www.davesguitars.com

We customize decals and a very reasonable price and anywhere in the world. Please give me a call or email me if you are interested. Thanks.

sincerely,
Amber K. Chea
Type S Graphics
626-375-9509
amber@typesgraphics.com

: I am looking for a strat logo for my first project guitar. I would like the spaghetti lettering style that is silver in color (I'm not sure which year that is). My guitar will consist of a semi-hollow strat style body from Warmoth. It has an flame maple top in cherry sunburst over a alder body with a pearloid pickguard. I am also getting a birdseye maple neck. Please email me if you know where I can get a hold of one.

: I am looking for a strat logo for my first project guitar. I would like the spaghetti lettering style that is silver in color (I'm not sure which year that is). My guitar will consist of a semi-hollow strat style body from Warmoth. It has an flame maple top in cherry sunburst over a alder body with a pearloid pickguard. I am also getting a birdseye maple neck. Please email me if you know where I can get a hold of one.

Contact Dave at remotesolution@yahoo.com, you can get it for $ 20.00 free shipping. He sells decal for any year strat with serial number, made in USA.

Looking for single coil pickups for strat

I am looking for 2 single coil humbucking style pickups for my first project guitar. I was thinking of putting a Seymour Duncan Little '59 in the bridge and neck and a Duckbuster in the middle. I am looking for a warm, bluesy, rockish sound. Any suggestions. Anyone have some for sale or know where I can get some for a good price? Please email me if you know.

Re: Looking for single coil pickups for strat

I've got a "texas star" strat pickup and a humbucker that I forgot the name of. E-mail me if interested.

: I've got a "texas star" strat pickup and a humbucker that I forgot the name of. E-mail me if interested. wclarka@earthlink.net

Are you Gene Clarko from the Papers? (Jerry Barone, Cliff etc..)

The Lil '59's kick serious butt! I like mine.

74 strat

Did the 3 bolt plate on the backs of mid 70s strats have writing on them, or were they plain metal?

Re: 74 strat

My 77 has the large Fender "F" logo engraved, and "Fender micro-neck adjust" in small letters

ada mp-1 adapter for foot controller

Does anyone have an adapter for an MP-1 foot controller or know where I can get one.

Post Your Opinions!

Hey guys,
If you had to choose between 2 companies, KORG and DIGITECH; which would you choose first? no matter which make or model the product is that you would recieve from the particular company. Which is better in your opinion, out of the 2 and why? post your opinions!

walterjb, man you got an ibanez sc???

the sca220 or the sc420. how long did it take to get. i had to get mine out of country because i was the first on the order list at my local shop and it still didn't arrive after 5 months. it's the fuckin best isn't it. I'm throwing in locking tuners, a graphtech nut and a couple emg's. ttyl. take it easy.

Re: walterjb, man you got an ibanez sc???

Yep, I have an Ibanez SC. My model is the SC-220. It has a nice color, and sounds great. It took me quite awile to save up for this guitar because I make all my money though the crappy job of baby sitting. I only bought it as a guitar I could play with my band, and it's perfect for what we do. The only other guitar that I think would work with the stuff we play is a B.C. Rich. Among other guitars, I also have an old 80's Ibanez Musician that I play other things on.

possible rip off from ampheaven.com

Has anyone else been ripped off from ampheaven over in the uk. They are taking thier sweet time in sending me the Marshall plexi I ordered.
Thanks.

Re: possible rip off from ampheaven.com

:

You will be lucky if they will send you something. This company is completely untrustable. Have a look at the voxshowroom bb for more info.

Has anyone else been ripped off from ampheaven over in the uk. They are taking thier sweet time in sending me the Marshall plexi I ordered.
: Thanks.

Marcus Hardy at Ampheaven cannot be trusted. It took
6 months for him to ship the organ and leslie I ordered. The Leslie was a complete wreck with actually the amp missing. He sounds very polite on the phone but have in mind that most English do!!!

: You will be lucky if they will send you something. This company is completely untrustable. Have a look at the voxshowroom bb for more info.

: Has anyone else been ripped off from ampheaven over in the uk. They are taking thier sweet time in sending me the Marshall plexi I ordered.
: : Thanks.

If anyone has any info on him relevant to their dealings with him please contact me as I have reopened his cases with his local police, interpol and his ISP. He is one shady man.

:

He's a common liar and thief: that's the truth about the guy at Ampheaven.

: Thanks.

phone number for "honest" Marcus

call the guy on 011 44 1482 869682

early-mid 60's 12 string acoustic

looking for information about a early to mid 60's acoustic framus werke 12 string guitar

Re: early-mid 60's 12 string acoustic

: looking for information about a early to mid 60's acoustic framus werke 12 string guitar It's a texan model # 8168469G I would like to know what year Thanks

Refinishing

Not long ago i bought a really fucked up old guitar for £10. There were no pickups, and all the electrics were screwed up, the pots were broken, the scratchplate had huge scratches in it and the places for the pickups had been cut out pretty bad, and the finish was pretty messed up. So anyway, i've taken the whole thing apart, ordered new electrics, making a new scratchplate, sanded the finish off and i'm going to refinish it - but how?

Whats the best way to refinish a guitar?
I haven't got much money at the moment, will a regular varnish do?
What paint should i use? Will a regular glossy paint do?
Does the finish affect the sound?

I'd appreciate any help and anyone who can shed some light to me on the subject, since I'm pretty much in the dark at the moment.

Thanks loads
Peace...always
Paul

Re: Refinishing

It is a pretty easy job but it will take some time. You say you've sanded it already, finish it of with a 400 grit paper if you haven't already. Then, prime the guitar. A spray primer will do fine. Use a white primer, it works the best when you color it. Wait about a week to ensure that it is completely dry, then sand it again with the 400 grit paper to remove all rough spots and defects in the primer. Use a tack cloth to remove the dust and any other stuff that has gotten on it. As for a color, use any color you want. A spray paint will work the best because you won't leave any brush lines. The kind of spray paint is insignificant, you can use the cheapest you can find if you want, all that is going to do is provide the color. Apply the paint in several light coats to prevent running. Wait several days so it can dry completely, then apply an acrylic urethane. Be sure to use a good quality, thin brush to apply it. DO NOT USE A SPRAY URETHANE!!! You won't be happy with results. Apply a pretty thick coat, it will cure itself while it dries. The urethane will provide the deep gloss and rich color you desire, that is why I said you can use a cheap spray paint if you want. Wait about a week or so to allow the urethane to dry and when it does, install the electronics and accessories and enjoy the guitar! It is really easy, like I said, it just takes some time if you want to do it right. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!!

Western 'hummingbird' guitar

I have this guitar, 60s/70s(?) It's in sunburst, with a hummingbird scratch-plate. The company is 'Western', made in Japan. Anyone have any info on this brand?

Re: Western 'hummingbird' guitar

i have a westfield acoustic does this help????

I have a guitar about the same age. It is acoustic with no pick ups. I have no idea who made it but it has a circular symbol on the top of the headstock made up of yin yang peices that form a star in relief in the centre of the circle3. It has a deep bergundy back and sides and the front has a starburst finnish. It seems to be vey well made with an amazing sound. it features a stylish pickguard which I have found to probably be made by gibson. There are also pearl inlays on the fretboard where the finger dots go. does this help?? I have been reasearching this guitar for quite some time. If you know anything else about it let me know And I will do likewise.

there is a fake mosrite ventures model titled a hummingbird but the company is called tokai.

Strat bridge saddles query..

I recently took my strat-copy to bits. When I started to re-assemble it, I noticed that two of the bridge saddles have shorter screws. Which strings do they belong to? I'm guessing the 1st and 2nd, right?

Re: Strat bridge saddles query..

My Strat is a 77, the short saddles on mine are the 1st & 6th.(no tremolo)

Thanks, J. Mine has a tremelo, does this make a difference?

No, it shouldn't make a difference.

Someone on another message board said that it should be 6th and 3rd - something to do with better tonality. Thanks, anyway - I'll try both..

normal music bars

Is there a programm that I can download free of charge which offers music with sound to accompany me when I am trying to learn some very simple pieces of music.

But I want real notes and music bars please. Classic pieces by Bach for example. Thank you so much for your help

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.