Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Guitar to computer

hello i want help for connecting my guitar to the computer for making recording without using midi.
(only with use of guitar cable to soundcard)
anyone knows (free) good software for recording it??
and also are there programs that can change the sound of your guitar?? like distortion and other effects using the sam e cables i now need or do i have to use midi???
thank you

Re: Guitar to computer

: hello i want help for connecting my guitar to the computer for making recording without using midi.
: (only with use of guitar cable to soundcard)
: anyone knows (free) good software for recording it??
: and also are there programs that can change the sound of your guitar?? like distortion and other effects using the sam e cables i now need or do i have to use midi???
: thank you

I use Soundforge v4.5 and Cakewalk 9,0 but isn't free... there are fx packs that provide you dist, delay, reverb, any fx you want.

Re: Guitar to computer

Pro Tools free demo, 8 track, 24 bit,digital recording studio. try the pro tools website.

Squeeking TiAxis

My guitarist has a TriAxis and a 50/50 power amp. it has a loud squeeking noise when the stings are in "resting state". anyone who knows what levels this combination needs to operate properly? PLEASE reply by mail. (whont be checking back)

What is the price value of an old 1970 classical guitar

I have a classic 1970 aqustic guitar from a brand name

Re: What is the price value of an old 1970 classical guitar

: I have a 1973 Fender F-55-12 I bought new. I've really enjoyed it over the years. Could you give me a price estimate on it.

AMKAe: What is the price value of an old 1970 classical guitar

My father gave me his old guitar, it an old acoustic guitar with (W.ROSSMEISL&Zn Tilburg Maziekinstr) on a small plaque on the back of it, and an ivory disc on the front with AMKA on it! Could you give me anestimate? : I have a 1973 Fender F-55-12 I bought new. I've really enjoyed it over the years. Could you give me a price estimate on it.

This popular thread has been given its own page : What is the price value of an old 1970 classical guitar

POD and multi-effect units

Has anybody tried to use a multi-effect unit simultaneously with the POD?
How do they work best, placement wise?
Tips?

We need low-price amps in this country...

I'm argentinian. Import taxes really increase the price of the equipment here, ocassionally doubling your prices, man...
So I was looking for low-price, well-built amps. I've found Laney and Rocktron seem to be good options. Can you give me some advice? Other amps?
Wait for feedback at artaud_cf@yahoo.com
Thank you

need a P.A. for practice, what do you suggest

our band needs a PA or something to run the vocals through for practice sessions. we practice in the frontmans garage and we each have a marshall half stack which puts out enough power to make us wear ear plugs when we practice. What would be a good P.A for vocals, we are kinda on a budget around $800. any sugestion. thanks a lot.

i love bass!!

hey guys im cj and i love bass....... however theres only one problem im really really bad!! if u cud let me no of ne gud sites where i can laern to play better just let me no thanx xoxo

i love bass!!

hey guys im cj and i love bass....... however theres only one problem im really really bad!! if u cud let me no of ne gud sites where i can laern to play better just let me no thanx xoxo

I AM GOD OF QUEER!!!

[The body of this post has been lost]

Re: I AM GOD OF QUEER!!!

Dude...you are wierd! why would you post something like that on a guitar discussion board?

Delay?

Hey people I wanted to know what yall thought about delay? do you think if its used tastfully (moderatly) that its ok to use? or do you think it's just cheap all around?

Re: Delay?

Delay is awesome! There are so many possibilities when it comes to the things it can do.

1932 Martin 00-17

I have a 1932 Martin 00-17. Can anyone tell me about it and what it might be worth?

Re: 1932 Martin 00-17

According to my Martin bible, there were only 75, 00-17 guitars made in 1932, but a ton were produced from 1933 - 1960, where production basically stopped. This is not really a sought after model, but being its a 1932 model makes it worth some $$$. Sometimes you can look at e-bay and see what some vintage Martins are going for. 0-15, 0-18 models are in the same catagory as yours. Martin does have a web site too.

Re: Martin 0-15 serial # 171267

A buddy got this guitar as an inheritance from his mother, but he/we have no idea how old it is or what value it has. Can you help?

PEARCE Amp for Sale

PEARCE Amp for Sale

This popular thread has been given its own page : PEARCE Amp for Sale

Hartley Thompson AMP for Sale

Hartley Thompson AMP for Sale

This popular thread has been given its own page : Hartley Thompson AMP for Sale

Metallic VS. Solid finish

This may be a stupid question, but is there any diiference between a metallic and a solid finish? I am ordering a guitar from musicyo.com and the metallic costs more than the solid finish. Thanks.

Re: Metallic VS. Solid finish

The only difference is that there are small metallic flakes in the paint that give it the sparkle finish, that is why it costs a bit more.

Refinishing : Urethane / Polyurethane?

hi again,

i recently posted a question about refinishing (look down on the page) , and got a reply (thanks Phil B.) saying that i should use a urethane to finish it. I recently found a tin described as 'TOUGH POLYURETHANE GLOSS VARNISH FOR INTERIOR WOODS'. Would this do, or would i get better results using a different type of urethane. If so what type? Could anyone help me here? Please?

Thanks loads
Peace...always
Paul

Re: Refinishing : Urethane / Polyurethane?

Don't use a polyurethane. The kind I used to finish my fretless guitar is called Kel-Thane II, it is a Kelly-Moore brand. It worked great and was easy to apply, go check it out.

Re: Refinishing : Urethane / Polyurethane?

I've never heard of Kel-Thane II, it may be a really great product. However, I have tremendous success with polyurethane, and a lot of manufacturers are going to it, as well as to polyester (yeah I thought that was for bad suits too!).
Today's modern finishes are great (stay away from Varathane, and acrylic -- they are easy to work with and can provide a nice result, but they don't harden as well, and react to things like the rubber feet and neck supports on guitar stands -- you won't like what happens!).
I have started adding tips to my web site: http://members.home.net/wilkatguitars
Most of my guitars are finished with polyurethane and as you can see, the result is a super high gloss protective coating.
There are a lot of good books on the market to assist you -- check them out.
Best of Luck, Bill

Guitar magazine

Hi!
Does anybody know where I can buy old("used")
guitar magazines GP, GW, etc...

Re: Guitar magazine

: Hi!
: Does anybody know where I can buy old("used")
: guitar magazines GP, GW, et

with most magazines you are able to get back issues from the maker.im sure if you look in the magazines you will find something about it are check out there websites

battery powered amps?

I am searching in vain for a guitar amp powered by recharcheable batteries to put my seagull aucostic through.Can anyone tell me of such a thing?

cheers Lee

Re: battery powered amps?

Sure! The most popular type of Amp for what you need is most probably a "pignose". They've been making them since the sixties and some musicians have loved the sound so much they used them in the studio.Just about every major manufacturer makes battery powered amps. As far as recharging the batteries, just use rechargeable batteries.
Good luck.

Re: battery powered amps?

: I am searching in vain for a guitar amp powered by recharcheable batteries to put my seagull aucostic through.Can anyone tell me of such a thing

: cheers Lee

Quite simple: the AER, German made, are the best BUT bloody expensive (worth the money if you look for top quality), the second useful choice is the Crate Limo, much cheaper but still pro quality. The other products on the market are useless toys. Ciao MARCO

Who wants to exchange KYUSS or QOTSA tabs???

I'd like to exchange stoner tabs. I live in Italy n it's not easy to find material.

Re: Who wants to exchange KYUSS or QOTSA tabs???

Have you checked stonerrock.com? I LOVE these bands, good luck, let me know if you find anything.

hey dude, i have heaps of kyuss tabs, i fucking love kyuss. Fuckin give us your mail and i'll send you some. Geez i hope this mesasage isn't like 2 years old or something!!???!!??

dude, i'd love it if you could email me some kyuss tabs...im spesh looking for eccentric man, thank you darling

: I'd like to exchange stoner tabs!!!!!!!!! if any one can send me the tabs to auto pilot or better living through chemistry ive got most of the others but ill give some away for free!!!!!

i need Kyuss drum tabs......just Demon Cleaner would be fine.....gracias

i have better living through chemistry and lightning song bass tabs if ur interested, email me

: hey stonerdude, could you please send me spaceship landing tab with solo and all? Thanks.

QOTSA tabs right here!

http://hobbs1767.tripod.com/main.html

Almost every tabs of the queens and also basstabs!

Re: QOTSA tabs right here!

i want no one knows guitar tab, im from mexico

Re: QOTSA tabs right here!

: i want no one knows guitar tab, i'm from bedford

What is the best Heavy Metal AMP????

What would be a real good heavy metal Amp Head that sounds like the late 80's and early 90's Metallica or that Pantera sound?? I want that real scooped mid sound without usind a Boss Metal Zone pedal!! I wish to stay away FROM MESA BOGGIE I'd rather get either a Marshall Or a Peavey!Thanks Alot for any help posted Thanks!!

Re: What is the best Heavy Metal AMP????

try a marshall 800 super lead (single channel), its probably the best marshall amp ever made(well i think so). if you want that really scooped mids sound then it will probably have to be a pedal, the one i have tried is the "visual sound jeckyl and hyde". it has a mid boost or cut on it and it sounds awsome, you can easily get that mettalica sound, but remember, the more mids you scoop the less people can here you in a band situation and also, a lot of mettalicas sound is scooped at the desk in the studio. good luck

also all the people i know who play metal, use a pedal, a lot of amps cant do the scooped thing very well (boogies and soldanos, vht etc can do it pretty well but at what price ?), also a friend of mine uses his marshall with a graphic before the amp, guitar-graphic-amp, it works very well.

i think the metal amp is a randall stack it has clean
disstortion and it has has alote of power and pantera has randall.

: i think the metal amp is a randall stack it has clean
: disstortion and it has has alote of power and pantera has randall.

Dude, go back to english class and there is more in life than Randall amps. If you want to restrict yourself with a single sound, then go for it. If you really care, get a good setup of amps. I would suggest a Bogner Ubershall, a Hughes & Kettner Warp 7, and a VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead. You have every thing you'd ever need, good leads with the VHT, and pounding rythms from the Bogner, plus the great tone responses of the Warp. Snoogins, BITCHES!!!!!

Dimbag from Pantera actually has his own model amp or at least helped to design an amp called the WARZONE by Randall(i think). Check around online for information on this amp.

Just for reference sake, Dime uses a randall warhead. Never used one myself so I obviously can't speak from experience but I just finished reading reviews on the amp (which I did for about two hours) and apparently his live sound is very different from his recorded sound. To achieve a "Dime signature" sound you need to do a lot of tweaking with the EXACT rig he uses plus a soundboard and recording studio tools.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.